The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:00 PM ET, 02/ 6/2010

Snowmageddon winding down

By Jason Samenow

15-30+ inches throughout region...

* Blizzard Warning for D.C. and eastern suburbs (see map) *
* Winter Storm Warning through late Saturday evening (elsewhere) *
* Power outage maps for Dominion Electric | Pepco | BG&E *
* Accumulations so far - Map | NOAA urges safety | Driving tips *
* What to eat during the storm? | CWG on Facebook & Twitter *
* Follow storm on twitter: #Snowpocalypse | E-mail update to a friend *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *

3:00 p.m. update -- One more moderate band of snow will ripple through the immediate metro region, before the tapering off process begins -- with mostly light snow after 4 p.m. As of 2 p.m., snow accumulation at Reagan National was 17.0, surpassing Snowpocalypse and the Blizzard of 2003-- making it #5 on the all-time list. Also, CWG is having a Snowmageddon Happy Hour tonight at Hard Times Cafe in Arlington. Technology lead Jamie Jones will be the host.

From 1:30 p.m.: Incredible snow totals continue to increase throughout the metro area. Widely divergent accumulations (interactive map) range from as little as 15" (mainly to the south and southeast) to over 30" (north and west). While radar indicates snow is starting to decrease in intensity, another 2-4" is possible (highest additional snow south and east). Light to occasionally moderate snow should taper off from west to east between 5 and 6 p.m. Some very light, non-accumulationg snow or flurries may linger until between 8 and 10 p.m. Blowing snow will continue to be an issue with winds from the north at around 20 mph, with higher gusts.

As of 1 p.m., (these numbers are preliminary) Reagan National (DCA) has accumulated 16", putting it #8 on the all-time list, just behind December's Snowpocalypse (16.4"). It should pass that number in the next hour or two. The seasonal total is about 43", putting it in third place all time (behind 1995-1996, 46"; and 1898-99, 54.4"--though the station was at 24th and M St then). BWI (Baltimore-Washington International) has accumulated 26.5" (as of 12:30 p.m.), just 0.3" shy of its all-time record (it may have surpassed that number by now.

By Jason Samenow  | February 6, 2010; 3:00 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts, Snowmageddon
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The storm's gone, so let's celebrate
Next: Snowmageddon departs after setting records

Comments

when do people think the federal gov't will reopen?

Posted by: yetanotherpassword | February 6, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@yetanotherpassword: Maybe Tuesday, but Wednesday for sure - with liberal leave.

Posted by: --sg | February 6, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

we've had power go on and off throughout the storm. Currently we're at over 2 feet in Gaithersburg. Very hard to tell exact measurements given the prior snow and windblown snow. Comcast service has also been knocked out.

Posted by: Thundershock | February 6, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

How can they get an accurate measurement of how much snow has fallen with all this drifting? I tried to measure in the middle of a flat area on my patio, hoping that the wind didn't effect the measurement too much - got 21" an hour ago in western Alexandria.

Posted by: sk_99 | February 6, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@sk_99
you clearly need to do what the pros do at DCA...get yourself a heatplate to get the snow to stick instantly.

By the way it is TOTALLY unfair to compare measurements taken at 24th and M vs. the modern day measurements at DCA. I'll bet money even the 1922 storm didn't record near its record if measured where DCA is.

Posted by: yetanotherpassword | February 6, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey, CWG, what about a contest to guess the last day for a parking lot snow mound from the historic Winter of 2009-10 to melt? I assume places that get a lot of snow must have something like that. Easter? Memorial Day? 4th of July?
You could document a gray mound flecked with gravel and carbon pieces slowly melting in the spring sun for the winner. Something to amuse oursleves when the weather is not so dramatic.

My guess it will be in a place like Tyson's Corner, or Arundel Mills, north facing lot, and shadowed by a Best Buy sometime in late May.

Posted by: beebop31 | February 6, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

What makes these numbers "preliminary" at National Airport? Seems like they are low even compared to the December storm.

Are they likely to be altered up or down? How and where does National make the official measurement?

Makes zero sense to have the "official" Washington Dc measurement....when the airport isnt even in the city!

Posted by: niphicks | February 6, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

An amazing 24" in my yard in Adams Morgan, will light snow still falling steadily. I hope we have a slow melting!

Posted by: krosseel | February 6, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from a walk in Alexandria, Carlyle neighborhood. It was tough going- some of that wind really cut through you and it is snowing heavily. Sidewalks are understandably hard to navigate, snow was up to my knees everywhere. Saw plows out and about. I still think most of the places with untouched snow are about 14 inches deep, but that was not measured.

Here are some pics:

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 6, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Just for those folks who say that the DC region is particularly bad with snow - walking through my neighborhood I only saw one abandoned car. It was in the middle of an intersection and had New Hampshire plates on it.

Posted by: robperez1 | February 6, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Cool, Obama used the term Snowmageddon in a press briefing this morning.

Posted by: cmspsu13 | February 6, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@niphicks

16" is the amount recorded at DCA on the ground. The actual accumulation may be higher due to the compaction. Same thing at Dulles. The BWI # given is total accumulation as opposed to amount on the ground, which was 24"

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Pretty pictures, snowlover2!

Posted by: BadMommy1 | February 6, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

We measured 30 inches (in several places, not drifts) an hour ago, and it's still coming down hard. Inasmuch as Montgomery County never plowed our street in the December storm (though, oddly, they insisted online that they had: an alternate universe, I'm thinking), we're not optimistic about getting out until Wednesday or Thursday.

Posted by: justasking3 | February 6, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

CWG - Am really fascinated by what seems to be highly localized differences in snowstorm. For example, have seen "meh" in Old Town Alexandria while reports of 20" or more pile up on Eisenhower Ave. Do you get this same sense, and is this normal? Nothing about this storm is normal, but I find it surprising that people so close together are seeing such different things.

Posted by: eliwho | February 6, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Vienna, VA, 23.5" on my deck, measured three places. 1:45 PM.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | February 6, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

A quick look outside my door: http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8745/dscf1006n.jpg

Yeah, I know you hate me. :P

Any updates from Lake Ridge yet? My mom won't go out and measure the snow and my friend who's been measuring the snow for me lost power and has no power now.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 6, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

CWG, this blog rocks. It's so fun to check, which I do obsessively with any mention of snow.

When does everyone think schools will open back up?

Also, though I do want to enjoy this historic snow, I hear there are rumors of more snow on Tue, Wed, Sun and Monday. Just to really top things off!

Enjoy the snow everyone!

Posted by: icecubedownthetoilet | February 6, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I have really enjoyed all of the beautiful pictures, thanks to all who have contributed.

I am beginning to see a very slight bit of sun coming through the clouds here in Alex.

Posted by: letitsnow | February 6, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Whoops redundancy. I meant lost power and has no internet now. Sorry.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 6, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

people tend to forget that with a few 60-70 degree days and some rain, that will put a real hurting on a snow pile. and as it gets smaller, volume per surface area goes down quickly.

Posted by: yetanotherpassword | February 6, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I just measured 24" of new snow, with a total snowpack of 28", in Oakton, VA. On my road, I measured between 23 and 24". The plows will have a tough time digging me out, it's a really thick snow.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I am seeing Federal Government & school closure questions. I think most if not all DC-area schools (outside of DC itself) will be closed all week next week. Fed Gov will likely be closed Monday, but delayed open/ unsched leave on Tuesday.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

@eliwho

A big reason we're seeing the localized differences is because it's so hard to measure for these primary reasons: 1) snow on the ground before the storm 2) melting/compaction 3) blowing/drifting.

The regional variation also may relate to elevation differences and urban heat island effects-- the difference between locations that were 33 yesterday afternoon and evening and 32 likely resulted in some different totals.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

yetanotherpassword,

ummm, let me know when it hits 60 degrees in the next week....

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 6, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

It looks like on radar there's another heavier band that could rotate through DC metro area in the next hour or two

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 6, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Moderate fine snow with gusty winds. Continued bad visibility with the blowing snow. I'm seeing reports of 30.5 inches in Burke VA & 24 inches in Centreville. Can CWG get multiple confirmations of 30+ inch accumulation totals (and it's still coming down!) in Fairfax county? That's just so unbelievable, especially with the above freezing storm start.
Let us know when the official DCA total passes the Dec benchmark. This is by far the higher impact storm.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 6, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

According to OPM.gov, the government is open today. Any word on delays or closures for Monday?

Posted by: jawz33 | February 6, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, BadMommy1!

I think that some of the discrepancies come from reporting from people like me, who are eyeballing or having difficulty finding a good, undrifted place to measure. I walked quite a bit and mentioned the snow cam up to my knees- so I measured that length on my leg.

So, ahem, using the leg methodology of measuring snow, I would like to change my previously reported totals:

as of 1:15, Carlyle neighborhood in Alexandria measures in at 17"

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 6, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Crofton, MD

3 hours of shoveling and not finished

still dumping here

visibility about a quarter mile

not a plow in sight

must be closing in on 20+ inches

time for a beer!:)

anyone have an accurate snow total for Crofton?

Posted by: thedude3 | February 6, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Regarding finding somewhere to put the snow...

I remember New York City's special snow trucks: dump trucks with a heated bed and a snow blower up front. The snow blower grabbed the snow and blew it into the heated bed where it melted. When the truck was full of water, the truck drove down to the docks and dumped the snowmelt into the Hudson or East River.

Sounds like DC, Alexandria, and other riverside communities could use them.

Bob Guenther

Posted by: rlguenther | February 6, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the terrific coverage! I hate to ask this question when we are already overwhelmed with snow, but - given that it's still early February and that we seem to be on a snowy streak in DC - is it possible that we could end up having another monster snowstorm? Or will the rest of the season be on a more normal scale?

Posted by: paperball | February 6, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@jawz33

Interestingly, the Smithsonian is closed today, and it is staffed primarily by feds, as well as some 'trust fund' and contractor employee. I think someone at OPM had it wrong.

For Monday, I bet on a closure with liberal leave for a day or two after, especially depending on Metro bus and rail service.

Posted by: krosseel | February 6, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Wesley Heights/AU: 24" now. I'm gonna need a bigger snowstick.

I shoveled a good amount. The bottom inch or so is slush, and the next few inches are pretty dense (compaction as well, I assume). But the top 16-18" are pretty light and fluffy. I left the bottom few inches for shoveling later, so it doesn't just turn to ice when exposed to the colder air.

Posted by: ah___ | February 6, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Check this out to see how impressive this storm looks from above...click on cloud cover icon and loop. It's still appears to be pumping in energy!

Posted by: dvorak9 | February 6, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I really don't think that OPM will go out on a snow-frozen limb and cancel government openings until at least Sunday night.

Posted by: krosseel | February 6, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Any word on the potential snow/sleet on Tuesday?

Posted by: dcnative22 | February 6, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Had a lull in the action in Fairfax City for about an hour with light snow but now the wind is picking up again and we're back to moderate snow with decreased visibility this things just keep on going...going...going...going

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 6, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty skeptical about that map the Post. It had 16.2 inches for Bailey's crossroads at 7 am today, and 16.2 still at 1pm, after pretty steady snow all morning.

We're a little south of Baileys and I'd say we're around 2 feet now. It was sticking here much earlier yesterday than the reports from downtown.

Posted by: Izbit | February 6, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Camden - DC schools closed ALL next week? Come on, don't be ridiculous. Monday definitely, possibly Tuesday, but beyond that? We do have all day tomorrow to start clearing.

A big problem we're having around here now is falling trees and tree limbs. A bunch of the sidewalks down here in SW are covered not only by snow but by the smaller trees that have collapsed onto the ground.

I wonder with the freeze over tonight - that would make the trees more likely to crack and fall, correct?

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 6, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

@camden cwg

I feel bad for the DCPS kids. They will probably have school on Monday!

The Mayor better watch himself. He may get a big snowball launched at him!

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 6, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

@Snowlover2 Are you in/near the Alexan Carlyle? I'm moving there in 2 wks and really hope the residual snow (or, god forbid, more new snow!) doesn't mess things up. Nice to know we get snow down there too tho! :) I'm currently in Cleveland Park NW DC and we're getting pummeled.

Posted by: eliwho | February 6, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Just measured 20 inches in Capitol Hill.

Posted by: GD1975 | February 6, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

@krosseel New OPM Director John Berry has been pretty good about quick calls. He's promised all snow closure decisions by or before 4am the previous night.

Posted by: eliwho | February 6, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

As of 11:30 we had 21.5" in Woodridge, NE DC 20018.

I have a flat 1' x 2' piece of slate on a stump about 2' off of the ground. It's about 6' from the fence and 8' from the house.
Each time I measure I then wipe the slate off.

Posted by: artandcarly | February 6, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

@eliwho

John Berry has improved things. Many are the days in my federal career when, as someone who gets to work at 6 or 6:30 am that I used to have to go to work only to find out that OPM had 'called' a snow day at 6:00!!! Berry's tact is a good one.

Posted by: krosseel | February 6, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

CWG, I thought the record snowfall for Baltimore was 28+ inches. You are saying 26+ inches. Which is the correct figure?

Posted by: Murre | February 6, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Reston (201091): 23 inches as of 1pm. Still snowing. A lot.

Posted by: EricCarr | February 6, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The radar still looks pretty healthy!

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 6, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@snowedin85
Ummm -it was above 60 less than 2 weeks ago (68 on 1/25)

Posted by: fedwkr | February 6, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Crofton, MD: ~30" of new snow at 2:10pm.

I measured it 4 times because I couldn't believe it.

In the areas where we had existing snow it is ~34".

Not coming down as strong now. In the last 30 minutes or so it has really tapered down to a light but steady snowfall.

Simply unbelievable.

Posted by: Vingold | February 6, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@ eliwho, I am in the same area, but more on the King street metro side than the Eisenhower metro side...I think we got a little less than other areas close by. I need to remind myself, we still got more than enough! I'm greedy now- a complete snow monster.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 6, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

The 16" at DCA brings us inside CWG's low- end estimate, a few days ago. Good show! And Jason is right; they should get enough there to move this storm up a few notches. Depending on the final total, could be #3. But still, that is a woeful measurement, compared to what others are reporting.

I want to walk out to Wisconsin Avenue but the tree limbs in Glover Park are still so heavily laden with snow that it's really risky on these tree-lined streets.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Private plow was trying to clear out the entrance to the nun's home at Holy Cross in Garrett Park/Kensington. He's now stuck across both lanes of Strathmore Avenue.

Posted by: Fab5Mama | February 6, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have a favorite link looping radar for the previous 24 hours?

NW DC / Georgetown / around 20 inches.

Posted by: manatt | February 6, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@camden cwg

Thanks for responding. I work for ACPS and we usually don't close quite as easily as the bigger counties. We'll see!

Thanks again for the great coverage!

Posted by: icecubedownthetoilet | February 6, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Must have missed that day "2 weeks ago" when it was 68...I don't think we've had one of those in a few months, fedwkr. If I recall, we "warmed up" to the 50s, but that was about it. Maybe I'm wrong, though...

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 6, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Tuesday Night snow?

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

At what point can people who are still hanging on to power start becoming optimistic? I'm thinking like 7pm or so. Any thoughts on this?

Posted by: kjm1971 | February 6, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Even the birds can't stay warm enough today: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vxsarin/4334785191/

Still snowing pretty good here in dupont. It's more of a smaller grain now, and not coming down in huge flakes.

Posted by: PaulFrederiksen | February 6, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

At noon I measured 24" in the middle of my unplowed street in Montgomery Village. And speaking of that lack of plowing, I think I've seen a few other commenter here in Montgomery Village; have any of you been plowed? Normally MVF does a very nice job of keeping the neighborhood at least passable, but I'm afraid this overwhelmed them, and now we're going to need a front end loader to get this snow out of here. I've been digging out the fire hydrant all day, but I'm not sure a fire truck could get in if it needed to.

Posted by: RightField | February 6, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Anybody have Snowmageddon "cocktail" ideas? ;)

Measuring 26" and some change here in West Springfield. Light snow, breezy, and cold. No plow since 5am.

Posted by: AyresGoober | February 6, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Any idea when that band coming down I-270 will move over D.C. In about an hour?

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Camden wrote, "most if not all DC-area schools (outside of DC itself) will be closed all week next week."

And there's the rub. I'll calling DCPS (not the charter schools) opening on time Monday, maybe with a delay, if we're lucky. The charter schools, located in the same neighborhoods, will be closed through Wednesday.

Posted by: heatherdc1980 | February 6, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@manatt

Just went googling for a good radar loop, found this one - seems pretty good:

Posted by: RandC | February 6, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Yay! Another heavier band going to sweep from the northwest!

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I have a 5-inch drift on my 25th story balcony in Bailey's Crossroads. That says something about the winds since there's only so much room and the snow is blowing between the two towers, not towards my balcony. Pretty sure it's gotta be 2 feet on the ground, at a minimum looking at how it's piled up on the cars. I'm afraid to go measure in case we lose power and I have to climb all those stairs, haha.

Posted by: joshua-frank | February 6, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

@WeatherDudeVA

I'm in Lake Ridge (off Mohican) - My measurements aren't very scientific (a ruler on the front step!) but...

We had 4 in at 8pm when I shoveled.
Then we had 5 more by Midnight
Then I have no idea how much fell b/c someone walked up my steps and messed up my measuring spot
Then today we have gotten close to 9 - so at least 18. From the looks of things I think it's prob in the 20-22" range.

Mohican has not been plowed (not sure VDOT has plowed it for any of this years storms) but the Lake Ridge HOA plows have been out the whole time!

Posted by: mamory1975 | February 6, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Just wonder if there are any other operaphiles out there? I got aced out of the "Tales of Hoffmann" HD broadcast at Mazza Galleriea in December because of the snow and Mazza didn't even open today so having to listen to "Simon Boccanegra" at home. Worth it for the snow, though!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

In the Blue Ridge mtns, we lost power at 12:40p. I called Allegheny Power to report the outage on my old fashioned phone and they said they had 180k without power... hoped to restore all by 11:59p February 12th. Fortunately, our power came back on today at 1:40p. In case it goes out again, I enjoyed a hot shower and turned our heat up from 68 to 70.

Someone asked earlier about why people fill up bathtubs. For folks with electric well pumps, they can bail water from the tub into the back of toilets, etc.

Posted by: spgass1 | February 6, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

The snow has lighted up here quite a bit to flurries. the last heavy band dropped an additional 6 inches of fluffy stuff on the deck. That puts us at 30" in 22191, 1/4 mile from the Potomac River. Notice there is another heavier band developing and headed this way. Going back out for round 3 of shoveling.

Posted by: drmammal | February 6, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

27 inches here in Eldersburg; I don't we'll add more than an inch or so. The last of the moderate snow bands are coming through...seems to be clearing north of Westminster up by Hanover.

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 6, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know how to bypass an electric thermostat to run a gas boiler / radiator system (if power goes out)? Or a website that explains this?

Posted by: kjm1971 | February 6, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

measured 24" in the untouched part of the yard in arlington near westover. Definitely more than snowpocalypse in december. rivals 96 for sure.

Posted by: sd_in_westover | February 6, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Loudoun County Schools closed Mon and Tues.

DCPS - all students will report earlier than normal :)

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 6, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

@Snowlover2 - thanks for posting those pictures! I recognized the picture of the pool, and if that's from your apartment, we're in the same building. :)

Posted by: oldtowngirl | February 6, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Measured .8 inch fresh snow on sidewalk scraped clean 75 minutes ago.
I can see a fuzzy sun disk up there behind the clouds!!!

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 6, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

FCPS closed for three days last December, and that was with a much lighter, fluffier snow, not to mention 6-10 inches less accumulation.

FCPS closed for an entire after the 2003 storm, which (in Fairfax) was maybe 15 inches of very dry snow topped off by a couple inches of sleet.

After closing early on the Tuesday of the 2-inch 2006 sleet/ice storm, FCPS closed for the rest of the week. Minor roads and the power situation were fine by Thursday.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see many counties shut down until the 15th.

Posted by: cleombrota | February 6, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Yikes. Looks like DC has given up on even the major non-snow emergency roads for now.

This is Maryland Ave. NE: http://twitpic.com/11qftd

It's going to take a while to dig out of this one. There are drifts up to my thigh (and I'm 6'0"), and many cars are completely invisible. Just mounds with antennas. Quite beautiful in a crippling, apocalyptic kind of way ("Snowpocalyptic," I suppose).

Posted by: k1avg | February 6, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Columbia Heights West/Baileys Crossroads:

16 to 19 inches at noon...Still coming down at 2 PM.

No Washington Post delivery this morning...none possibly expected tomorrow. Got the "Plastic Pack" a day early with yesterday's paper. May get all weekend papers sometime tomorrow or Monday...5214 8th Rd., S., Arlington.

No thundersnow last night...but Weather Channel reports thundersnow from Baltimore.

This is the biggest snowstorm experienced by anyone in my immediate family in nearly seventy years...that was the historic Armistice Day Blizzard of Nov. 11, 1940 witnessed by my mom, dad, maternal grandparents and a couple of my uncles in Chippewa County, Wisconsin seven years before I was born. That storm was far colder and deadlier than this one...it began with temperatures near or over sixty degrees at the outset, but within hours temperatures and wind chills plunged well below zero with whiteout conditions across the upper Midwest. Hunters on the Upper Mississippi River froze to death in their duck blinds, and many drivers got caught on the roads with no antifreeze in their radiators. A low barometric pressure of 28.66 was recorded in Duluth, MN, and St. John's University in Collegeville, MN recorded nearly 27 inches of snow; the Twin Cities had over 16 inches.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | February 6, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

looks like the last ditch effort of this storm is coming through Derwood now. The intensity and flake size just picked up noticeably in the last few minutes - which makes sense according to this radar:

Posted by: mo26 | February 6, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

3 cocktail ideas:

Love in the snow:
1. Cream de Cacao - 1/2 oz.
2. Amaretto - 1/2 oz.
3. Pisang Ambon or other banana liquer- 1/2 oz.
all in a highball glass

Neige Blanc (French for "white snow")
in a lowball glass:
2 oz Crown Royal
1/2 oz Amaretto
1/2 oz Tuaca or other vanilla liquere, fill the rest of the glass with cream

and for the snow haters:

Damn the Snow Cocktail

1 oz Gin
1 tsp Triple Sec
1 tbsp Orange Juice
1 tbsp Sweet Vermouth
Ice

Shake with ice and strain a cocktail glass. Top with an orange wedge.

Posted by: drmammal | February 6, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

We are blocks from King Street Metro and we have 20 inches on the ground.

Posted by: matthewyoungblood | February 6, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@bebop,

Fairfax Corner uses one of their outer parking lots to put the snow, and there was still a lot of snow left over from Dec storm a week ago Friday(before last weekend and the Tuesday storm). Add the snow from this storm, and it may last well into May.

The Pentagon also uses an outer parking lot . So, they may still have piles until June!

Posted by: irish031 | February 6, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Going to stroll around Columbia with a tape measure, not very scientific but lets see what I can find.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

It's over...Finally.

2 feet in Thurmont, MD

Sun is starting to come out.

Posted by: seasejs | February 6, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks RandC.

Cleanup will be much longer and harder than in December - the high water content will make plowing much slower, and when the temperature drops tonight there will be solid ice on even the main roads several inches thick that isn't going anywhere anytime soon. This felt less like 20" of snow and more like 20" of slush.

Posted by: manatt | February 6, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

weatherdudeVA - last I measured we had at least a good 24 inches if not more. I'll keep you updated.

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 6, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

@PaulFrederiksen

Great photo! Those are some smart birds.

Posted by: AlexBike | February 6, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

AyresGoober - I am having Bailey's and coffee....but I like drmammal's ideas too! Cheers!

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 6, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, most schools closed for 3 days in December, and this storm is bringing 10 more inches - seems likely schools will be off all of next week.

Posted by: Dylan0513 | February 6, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

@oldtowngirl, Yes that was taken from my condo! I was wondering if anyone in my building would be on here and say something :)

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 6, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Still coming down at Volta Park in G'town, but much lighter than before. I see maybe one more heavy band on the radar. We've got 2 feet on the ground and counting.

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 6, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

@snowlover2 and @oldtowngirl I'm in the same building too. My golden retriever loved going out in it last night round midnight. This morning not so much. I still want to know who built the snowman last night in the courtyard???

Posted by: tidalwave1 | February 6, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Yes indeed - saw a glimmer of that sun just a few minutes ago. Snow has lightened considerably, but lots of blowing snow still. Guess it's time to strap the boots on. I've done every other procrastination chore on my indoor list, except take a nap. But with friends walking over at 7pm, I should be a good hostess and at least clear off my front steps and walkway.

Have heard a few thuds from snow coming off the roof in the back.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 6, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

@Dylan

Don't forget in Dec the schools were closed until Christmas Break. They might have had off more days...

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 6, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I just walked around my complex near Huntington. The snow was over my knees (about 22") on the stairs and in the playground area. I couldn't resist going for a swing. I just wish I could have gotten high enough to jump off into the snow.

I used up the last of my sour mix to make a snowgarita. So now I'm contemplating the next beverage.

Posted by: Melewen | February 6, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Olney, Md

23.75 inches at 2:55 pm

(On the back patio, a sheltered spot)

Posted by: celestun100 | February 6, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately my work goes by the FFX County Gov't. Misers for closing - tho they did close at 2pm on Friday.

In regards to schools, the Tuesday weather system may compound the re-openings this week. Can't wait to hear more about it! Tthe 15th is Presidents' Day so schools are closed regardless of weather.

Posted by: kygurl94 | February 6, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@tidalwave1 - Not sure who built the snowman, but I thought I saw a man and a woman putting finishing touches on it last night. I did see that the snowman's bottom "ball" is almost halfway buried by snow - it would be funny if the snow buried him up to his "waist."

Posted by: oldtowngirl | February 6, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

@kygurl94

Fairfax schools are open on Presidents day. It is a make up snow day.

boooooooo!

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 6, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

@Snowlover2 @OldTownGirl @TidalWave1: I used to live next door to y'all. I'm around the corner now. Snow is nuts in our areas and it seems like the majority of the side streets haven't seen a plow in many, many hours. Eisenhower is eh and Duke even looked rough by whole foods around 11am.

I would agree with Snowlover2 -- I think we have at least 17" with some places topping 20"!

Posted by: AlexandriaAnna | February 6, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Thanks mamory1975 and ZmanVA! Don't ever remember Lake Ridge having more than 19-20 inches before. Awesome! Or not. Depends on your point of view ;)

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 6, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I almost hate to stay it, don't want to jinx the weather Gods but...it's slowing down in Falls Church. The last pass after an hour break was only a couple inches..it had been 3-4 per hour.

Posted by: tbva | February 6, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Just very light snow in Frederick. Finally made it to the top of our drive, after 7 hours of plowing between yesterday and today. Found the county road beautifully covered, with four foot drifts. Turned around and saw the sun for a moment.

Beautiful.

Thanks to everyone who has posted and the CWG for this space. Every two hours, I stopped and refueled with coffee and the CWG and the community herein. I will post a few photos shortly.

Be safe -

Posted by: drc231 | February 6, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, I am done watching any Weather Channel as they use the DCA results and some idiot on the National Mall (also always less snow totals) who completely under represent our area in snow totals.

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@tbva, there's another band coming... hang on.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Oops - your accumulation map links to

That's NOAA'S Dec. map, not today's.

Posted by: ScienceSpouse | February 6, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

OPM will wait till they know what Metro is doing. If Metro is still shut down above ground Fed Gov will be closed.

Posted by: obmeyer | February 6, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Just spent 2+ hours shoveling snow in 21046 Columbia MD (MacGills Common / Allview). The lowest spots were consistently 28" or more; some spots easily 36"; I'd say the average excluding the high drift outliers must be >30".

The bottom 14" is really heavy & wet, the top 16" increasingly fluffy & dry.

I'd like to see comparative measures for this storm vs. other storms in terms of LIQUID (melted) precipitation per area, surely this blows away the Dec 2009 storm by a huge amount, and may well be the biggest ever regardless of whether it beats the frozen inches measures.

Posted by: tippicanoe | February 6, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 6, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

What I noticed shoveling are sections of blue almost liquid in the snow. Very wet at the bottom.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 6, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

31.5" in Cloverly, MD at 3:00pm Looks like one more band to go then it should taper off. Really amazing.

Posted by: MDDem2 | February 6, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Confirm that heavier snow is moving thru area. Glimpses of sun lasted a couple minutes before return to Snowmageddon The Final Punishment.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 6, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

snowing like crazy in fairfax city! the onslaught continues!

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 6, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Greenbelt, MD: At least 18 inches on my previously clear porch roof, sure there was some compaction. Did a bunch of shoveling earlier, some parts of the sidewalk had up to 30 inches. Going to wait till tomorrow to try to dig the cars out.

Lost power at 9:30 am, got it back about half-an-hour ago. Thank you, PEPCO!

Posted by: kevinwparker | February 6, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dskinner1 | February 6, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

3:00p Update: Video Report

Posted by: spgass1 | February 6, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@OldTownGirl @TidalWave1@AlexandriaAnna-
nice to see so many of us from the neighborhood!

AlexandriaAnna- our power is going strong (knock on wood). Glad for the confirmation on our snow totals- I kept doubting myself when I heard others close by getting much more.

@TidalWave1- I didn't make the snowman or see anyone do it. Maybe he just stopped by for a visit :)

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 6, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

CWG - can't figure out how to add an accumulation amount on the map.. Am I missing something??

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 6, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Just came back from a very civil and fun snowball fight in Lincoln Park on Capitol Hill - people of all ages and dogs too.

The streets are a mess - even those that have been plowed - there is simply nowhere for all that snow to go, and it's clogging up all of the intersections. I think the FEDS are definitely closed on Monday, with liberal leave on Tuesday.

Posted by: WeatherWick | February 6, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Dupont Circle snowball fight! Looks fun...

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 6, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

The latest mesurements I see show 16" in Alexandria. That must be 16 "big" inches, because I am measuring 24 "standard" inches...not in drifts. Where are they getting 16"??

Posted by: truyle | February 6, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I ghetto-measured about 27 inches in my backyard here in Laurel, MD.

I started shoveling this morning. The question is: what do I do with all the snow? Where do I put it? I made a pile six feet high and that takes up most of the yard.

Also, no snow plow has ever come down my street. Not after Wednesday's storm, or the December storm, or any other snowfall we've had this whole season. The street is impassable and I don't know how to ski.

Guess I'll just lay here and have a snowtini.

Posted by: WorfsBabyMama | February 6, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Measured 29" at 3:15 in my front yard in Rockville. Lots of neighbors out shoveling and roads are passable by foot. No vehicles on the road except a city truck. The snow is still coming down, but lighter than before.

Posted by: dc121 | February 6, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

@notdlo1975

That's assuming we don't get enough to close school with next weekend's storm. Feb 15 is the biggest snow day of the year in our area, typically.

In Fairfax County, kids are going to be in school until July 1 at this rate, given the last day of school was supposed to be June 20.

I wouldn't schedule any event until March, at this rate.

Posted by: elizestrada | February 6, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

@WeatherWick -

You hit the nail on the head. This area deals with moderate snow events (3-6") *fairly* well all things considered. But our local transportation agencies are used to "just plowing" - that is you plow and push the snow off to the side of the road. That's fine with 6", but with 2-3 feet, it doesn't work.

Our agencies can't fathom of the idea that you can't just plow the snow, you actually have to MOVE it. Up in lake effect zones, they are used to using bulldozers to put snow in dumptrucks and literally haul it away. But here, they aren't trained to do that, nor do they have the equipment for it.

So, as with Dec. 19, we'll have lanes that dead end into snow piles and so forth - only this time, it's more snow, and there's no holiday week with blessedly lighter traffic. And it doesn't look to warm up anytime soon either. I anticipate 2-3 weeks of hellish commutes, unfortunately.

PS - DCA strikes again. 17"? I doubt there's anywhere else in the metro that saw less than 2 feet.

Posted by: jahutch | February 6, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

My Snowmageddon experience: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXonii1zGic

Posted by: k1avg | February 6, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Tape measure said 16" in front of our Crystal City building (in an area I think untouched by plows), 17-17.5" in the secluded courtyard (buildings on 3 sides) where they show the Crystal Screen movies in the summer.

Posted by: stevis23 | February 6, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Someone asked about plowing in Montgomery Village. I am in East Village and we have seen plows on East Village Avenue but it does not look like we have had any plows on the residential streets and I haven't seen any plows on our residential streets today. I measured again and got about 29 inches and its still snowing lightly.

Someone mentioned a storm Tuesday Wednesday and then the next Sunday Monday. Really? Does it look like we will get more accumulating snow?

Posted by: soleil2000 | February 6, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow! What a crazy day. We have about 2 feet here in Brookland, NE Washington DC. Lost power for two hours, shortly after it was restored a tree fell, grazed our house and landed a few inches from out car! We are so lucky! This storm is crazy!

Posted by: ShawnDC | February 6, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

We're getting that heavy band now in PW county. It had all but stopped an hour ago and now it's really coming down...

Posted by: teezee210 | February 6, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Measured 20-21" in several places in Alexandria-Del Ray around 3pm.

Posted by: gtales | February 6, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Just measured 27" in several spots in my yard in Clifton/Centreville, VA. Subtracting a bit for the old snow that was already down, it's probably about 25" of snow from this storm, with a little still coming down. Mind-boggling.

Posted by: misskaren1 | February 6, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Aunt is reporting 28 inches of snow in Dumfries. Holy crap!

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 6, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Hi soleil2000, yes it is possible for more winter precipitation on Tuesday - we'll keep you posted - but it won't be anything like this storm. So let's get through this storm first. More soon.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Still snowing quite heavily in Logan Circle. It's really been pretty consistent all day.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 6, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

jerryfloyd1, you've got at least one other operalover here (although resting up after shovelling with bronchitis beat out listening to Verdi today). I grew up in snow country, but Saturday afternoon 3 seasons of the year was dedicated to the Met broadcast.

Posted by: fsd50 | February 6, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Oxon Hill Md., behind National Harbor.
At 3:30 PM 25". I measured 10 different locations in my front and back yard. Low measurement was 23" and high was just over 25". 7 of 10 were 25". Pretty consistent considering there is supposed to be drifting to throw this process out of wack. The wind has not been strong around my house. Every once in awhile I get a gust, but by and large it has been fairly calm. The snow is is coming down as if in a snow globe. Hmmm... I wonder why I haven't seen anybody else walking around?

Posted by: pjdunn1 | February 6, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

ultra pop - just walked to the circle - snow is to my knees!

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 6, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

300_sq_ft, I'm finding the sidewalks pretty much unwalkable right now. If the snow is tapering off, I haven't seen it here yet. It's consistently heavy right now.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 6, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

CRRRAAAACK! Been hearing that periodically today...

What impact will the drop in temps have on the already-heavy tree branches?

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 6, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Moderate, powder-fine snow, blowing snow & the faintest of teasing glimpses of the sun.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 6, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Still coming down at a steady pace on Capitol Hill South (13th and K Streets SE). About to take my turn of shoveling.

Posted by: mensan98th | February 6, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@CWG. I keep seeing them load snow into dump trucks in Arlington, where do they take it?

Posted by: jase700 | February 6, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

About 30 inches here in Potomac near Great Falls & MacArthur. Our power went around 2am last night, but is back on now!!!

CWG - with high winds in the forecast, do you think increased (and repeated) power outages are likely???

Posted by: someonelikeyou | February 6, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Hi, SWester2010. I think the temperature is not going to be a factor on trees and branches. They are already caked & frozen. And unfortunately they will not melt as temperatures go deeper toward 20, and below. So what you see now, the weighed-down tree branches will continue to be a problem.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Camden. I was just wondering if the deeper freeze would put any additional strain on the branches themselves and create further issues of snapping branches. Either way, it's still a mess, and it'll be a long cleanup.

Thanks for the updates!

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 6, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I know the radar shows this thing ending and moving east, but what are the chances of it strengthening and sending more bands back at us? I don't know whether I want it to end or keep going.

Posted by: eventual_eventer | February 6, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

yes someonelikeyou, power outages will continue to form (and be compounded, repairs delayed) with these breezes. Not good.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Just ventured outside and I am completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of snow that is out there. I have no idea how my apartment complex is going to get it all moved and where they will put it. There's one pile at my corner that's easily 15 feet tall. I was going to try and dig out my car but didn't know where to start. This is nuts.

Posted by: ana_b | February 6, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

eventual_eventer - what you are seeing is the end of the storm. It is in sight. And as it tapers over the next few hours, that will be that. Finally ending.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

It is hard to enjoy this storm without power; for many of us there is no electricity, no heat, no internet (this is being posted from a Laptop tethered to a BB modem).

The worst part is that Pepco, other than saying they won't begin to assess the problems until the storm stops, has given no indication when they might get the power back up.

Sadly, this is beginning to feel like 2003 Hurricane Isabel all over again. Pepco took 5 days to restore power in Chevy Chase.

More than 23" inches on our deck.

Posted by: ubimea | February 6, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

@Snowlover2 @OldTownGirl @TidalWave1: I scrolled the messages to see whether there was any new love blossoming

On a related topic, we should put a note on our calendars for November, to check on the CWG blog how many Snowmageddon babies there will be...

On a less exciting note, fairly consistent 60 cm = 24" up here in Beltsville, on previously clean sidewalks. 40 cm = 16" on the roof of my car, which was noticeably listing to port. Hope it's just asymmetric snow distribution and not a shock that decided to call it quits.

Posted by: MikeinDC2 | February 6, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I notice that the news channels are saying we are going to get snow on Tuesday night but are downplaying it because it isn't going to be as big as this snow. Of course it isn't going to be as big as this snow! But really, won't any additional snow be a problem if all of the snow we have now hasn't melted?

Posted by: barbnc | February 6, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Any chance the winds will lighten the load on roofs? Blow some of it off?

Posted by: mhardy1 | February 6, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all of the updates and responses to questions!

Good luck to all of you without power.

Posted by: eventual_eventer | February 6, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

The snow stopped and the sun came out here in Gaithersburg.

Posted by: hawknt | February 6, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I just took a walk through the back yard woods and we lost about 50% of our holly trees...the weight of the snow on the leaves just bent the whole tree over and snapped them off about 12-15 feet up. These are 5 inch diameter trunks! So I spent about an hour calling down snow avalanches on myself shaking the remaining trees limbs to get the heavy stuff off before the deep freeze sets in. Came in looking like the abominable...

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 6, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

@barbnc - that would really depend on surrounding buildings. If you in a house or are the highest densely packed building compared to your neighbors, yeah, you will probably lose snow due to winds. On the other hand, if you are packed in between taller buildings, their snow will likely be blown onto your roof, compounding the problem. Even just one taller building in the right position can cause drifts to form on the roof of an immediately adjacent building (if there is a street in between, not an issue). It's more due to eddies and blocking features that will cause drifts, essentially making a spot with low wind where all the snow being blown off everywhere else will accumulate.

So, winds may help some people, and hurt others, as to the weight of snow on people's roofs.

Posted by: RandC | February 6, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

About 1/2 hour ago Bob Ryan said the Tuesday/Wednesday event *could* be 4-5 inches.

Posted by: snowpro | February 6, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

@MikeinDC2,

No babies for us- I could be wrong, but I think we are all girls- so unless we adopted....

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 6, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

meant that last post to be @mhardy1 - oops

Posted by: RandC | February 6, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Potomac News is reporting that the ice rink on Dale Blvd in Dale City has collapsed. Fire department evacuated the occupants of the building before the collapse.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 6, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

We need a Snowmageddon hero to trek out to 24th and M and report back with a true apples-to-apples measurement! Any volunteers??

Posted by: AliBird | February 6, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

some pics from just s of leesburg...
about 28 total

Posted by: mandarb77 | February 6, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@CWG - What is the timing of the Tuesday/Wednesday storm? Do you think it might have an impact on travel plans Tuesday or Wednesday?

Posted by: bbtonbear | February 6, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Old Town, Alexandria: My fiance and I went out in the snow around 12:30 pm today when a heavy band was coming through. I took some video on my Flip Ultra HD camera. It took several hours to process and post but I just put it on youtube.

Eisenhower Avenue in Alexandria VA

Posted by: joelhousman | February 6, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

AliBird, I like how you think. Let us know if you make it out to make a measurement! (Be careful)

bbtonbear, travel likely more affected on Wednesday from this upcoming winter threat.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Meridian Hill snowball fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orIQOVB

Posted by: cf07 | February 6, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Final total (I hope) for my location in Herndon - I've got 25.5" total on previously cleared pavement, without allowing for compaction or melting (both of which have happened - I've been shovelling and felt the results!).

Posted by: fsd50 | February 6, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AliBird | February 6, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Sun is breaking through in NW Montgomery. Finals total 26.5 inches. 28.2 degrees.

Posted by: MKadyman | February 6, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Still snowing in Logan Circle, but it seems to be a lighter snow now.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 6, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Just back from a walk out to Wisc. Ave. in Glover Park. Observations:

Snow depth: 2 ft, compares with 1979 and 1996 (have lived in same bldg. since 1978)

Fire hydrants: completely buried; CWG, p-l-e-a-s-e remind people of the need to dig out hydrants in their neighborhood.

Kids: having a great time!

Tree limbs: magnolia limbs really taking a hit; other limbs down.

Jeep wranglers: far too many of them out there, cruising around. Why??

Drifting: some

What's open: CVS, Rocklands, Pearsons, a couple of other foodie places.

Next week's winter weather event: pray for a little more snow, not sleet or freezing rain, as happened in 1979. What a nightmare that was.

Back to normal: not for days!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

MKadyman, wow you have sun? very nice.
ultrapop101, yes here in Shaw/Convention Center we have a last little moderate period of snow - tapering soon though

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Fairfax county schools were closed for an entire week in 2007 for waaaay less snow.

Posted by: megamuphen | February 6, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

For Manassas, Accuweather is showing a Winter Storm not only for next Tuesday/Wednesday but also another shot at snow for next weekend. Looks like the D.C. area will have a good shot at establishing an alltime snow record for the 2009-10 winter season.

Posted by: RWRose | February 6, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

@manatt

Just went googling for a good radar loop, found this one - seems pretty good:

Posted by: RandC | February 6, 2010 2:27 PM

-------------------------------------------

Great site!

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | February 6, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

27" on the nose near Wolf Trap in Vienna. 21"-23" on the pavement, where it melted for longer. Parts of the yard have close to 3 feet of snow, where we still had snow cover at the beginning of the storm.

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I would expect that most (main) roads will be largely clear by the time Tuesday night's storm comes in, but I wonder about the roofs of buildings, trees, and other structures. It sounds as if not much of this snow is expected to melt within the next few days, and if Tuesday brings 3-5" of wet snow (as was the forecast I read), then it seems like that could be bad news for people. Am I off-base on this?

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 6, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the answer on upcoming storms. I love this blog and the great info CWG provides! Thanks so much! The snow seems to have stopped here. I started to head out to shovel again. However, it's so overwhelming I just turned around and came back inside. My plans now: staying inside and playing board games with my kids. Perhaps some spiked hot chocolate on the horizon? Stay safe everyone!

Posted by: soleil2000 | February 6, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

So, last night DCA reported for yesterday (2/5) 8.7 inches of snow. In today's climatology report it is 17.6. So, what is the storm total?

Posted by: todd27 | February 6, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the previous comment "overwhelming". As a veteran DC commuter of 25 years, I sincerely hope that an emergency declaration will be made for Monday to keep all non-essential businesses closed to give DC and Metro a day to get their act together, they'll need much more of course, but that will help. Either way, we'll face a week of epic commutes.

Posted by: labs4m3 | February 6, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Took a neighborhood walk near Old Town. Lots of branches weighted with snow, but not too much breakage.
Starbucks in the Hilton is open until 6, people!
And it's eerie to hear the Metro announcements coming from behind the locked doors at the King St. station.

Posted by: DCinVA | February 6, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

@fsd, I listed to Boccanegra on my walk out to Wisc. Ave. and now I'm catching the Council Chamber scene again on Irish radio with Adrianna P's wonderful trill!!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Just finished walking around downtown Frederick. The amount of snow is just awe-inspiring. Lots of tree limbs down--sometimes closing off streets as a result.

Here's a picture of a local business that's going to need to replace their awning . . .

Posted by: dettiot | February 6, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Just back from a long hike around the Mall and Lake in Columbia. It's quite a scene. Depths went from 26 up to 33 inches around so I'm calling it 30 for us here.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

@snowlover2 I'm a guy! Took dog out round 4pm. he got to play with a couple of other dogs. don't know how deep it is but he's having a rougher time jumping through it. I definitely did on the other side of Holland Ln in the park.

Posted by: tidalwave1 | February 6, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and it's officially over here as well. Blue skies moving in!

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Homeowners can have fun, too. This was taken in Silver Spring, right at the Beltway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn2g1fXOIcg

Posted by: PaLun | February 6, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I can see the setting sun trying to peak through in Fredericksburg but the snow is still coming down just a tiny bit. We are getting some wind, too. I would say we received at least 18-2- inches in downtown Fredericksburg, all told.

Posted by: tridentbulldog | February 6, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Looks like I'm without TV service for the foreseeable future (not a tragedy, but I would have liked to watch the superbowl and the Caps game tomorrow. I get my local channels via DirectTV, and the dish is completely covered as far as I can tell. I lost the locals sometime last night, but CNN hung on until later this morning. Now all the "live" stuff is out.

Posted by: jimfergusonj | February 6, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Fairfax City/GMU: The snow has finally been reduced to flurries and I see the sun breaking through the clouds! What an amazing day.

As a point of reference, I lived in Boston during the April Fools Day Blizzard in 1997 (similar snow amounts). That storm shut down the entire town for two days, and that's a city that knows how to clear snow. I'm not looking forward to next week.

Posted by: figgy_va | February 6, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Just finished shoveling a trail and took 3 separate measurements. Mean is 26.5". Bel Pre/Layhill Rds in N. Silver Spring. Still have light snow coming down. 4:54 pm.

Posted by: Hanz1 | February 6, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

fun evening game for Jersey Shore fans:

Watch the news. Every time someone says "situation", take a drink.

IE. "Brenda what's the situation at Dulles"

Drink

(yeah, I am already going stir crazy)

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 6, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

For those DishNetwork or DirecTv peeps out there.....a good tip is to clear the dish free of snow and then spray PAM on it. Worked like a charm for me this whole storm.

Posted by: tridentbulldog | February 6, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I think I've found the answer to the vexing question of varying snowfall amounts.
I belong to a national network of weather observers called the Community Collaborative Rain, Hail, & Snow Network, or CoCoRaHS.
Each morning thousands of us report 24-hr precip totals and related weather observations. In checking this morning's Maryland and Virginia observations, the following obervations were made at 7am:
McLean, VA 2.23" liquid/16.0" snow
Clarksburg, MD 2.26" liquid/24.5" snow
Meaning that the same amount of liquid produced an 8.5 inch difference in snow totals.
Why? Two reasons: Temps were slower to drop below freezing in NoVa last night. But more importantly, there were reports of sleet and snow pellets overnight as far north as north of Silver Spring, in Colesville. And we all know that sleet can greatly compact snow totals. Mystery solved!
Please consider volunteering as an observer at cocorahs.org. You get a free rain gauge, and it's interesting to observe the varying data.

Posted by: mtpeaks | February 6, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

In Rhodes Way (Montgomery Village, Courts of Whetstone), it looks like the Village has done the first pass, plow a lane around the court, in the last couple of hours. They will have to bring in frontloaders to move the rest of the snow. I don't know where they'll put it: the trees in the center of the court are already encased in snowpiles up to the lowest limbs.

Based on the aftermath in 1996 and 2003, they'll be doing well to get the snow cleared by Tuesday -- in time for the nextstorm.

I'll believe 2', maybe a bit more. The snow in my back yard is up to the top of the well around my backyard maple. It's as bad or worse than what I remember 1996 and 2003.

(I'm not going out to measure. In spite of being shovelled twice by my neighbors -- bless them -- my front door ramp has enough snow on it that I'd be risking a fall.)

Except for a couple of nerve-wracking flickers, I've had power throughout the storm. Verizon landline telephone and DSL have stayed up. Comcast cable is out.

Bob Guenther

Posted by: rlguenther | February 6, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

For those of you speculating about school closings, forget about any school until Thursday at least. Most counties will be closed all week. DC will open Tuesday on a delay. Spotsy and some far southern counties will open back up Wednesday or Thursday...everyone else gets a week off.

Mark my words. (More like famous last words, eh?)

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 6, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

@Todd27, NWS is also report 53.6" for the season; if so that's just under the all-time D.C. (non-IAD) record. As for IAD, they're listed for 32.1" inches for today and nearly 75" for the season. We'll have to wait 'til these numbers shake out to see how valid they are.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Just about 25 inches in McLean and snow has completely stopped. Trees are seriously bent over and one big one has already snapped and fallen into the tennis courts of the club I live next to. It will be July before these snowbanks melt. I love snow, but say it isn't so for this 3-5 extra inches on Tuesday night, please? I have nowhere else to put it!

Posted by: HokieTerp | February 6, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

snow has finally stopped up here right at the 270 spur. Sun looks like it's thinking about making an appearance. Democracy blvd has not only been plowed but was also scooped clean this AM by a huge front loader (eastbound only). Are we supposed to have clear skies tonight. Last ever night launch for a shuttle is tonight and some are saying that most people on the east coast should be able to see it

Posted by: the_local | February 6, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

25-28 inches, with a median of 26" in Hillcrest, SE DC.

Posted by: HillcrestDC | February 6, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Update on the ice skating rink in Dale City...the owner says that the building is a total loss. They noticed a beam on the roof starting to twist, they evacuated, and the building gave out under the weight of the snow.

And link to the story if you missed it from above:

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 6, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Crofton - its done. Been out a few times today. All the neighbors have pitched in and our sidewalks are clear for as far as I can see.

It is fun to play in. Kids, dogs and the young at heart should try to get out today or tomorrow.

And I second this from @Alibird:

If I was in DC I might try it - hard to do in the suburbs.

Posted by: Vingold | February 6, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Blue sky sighting here in Beltsville. I feel like I'm living in a movie set or something, this amount of snow just seems surreal.

Many, many thanks to the CWG, you guys did an outstanding job covering this storm. Well done!!

Posted by: ana_b | February 6, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

For those of you that want a comparison to the old 24th and M St numbers, I went to a small field at 22nd and P and measured. On average, there is about 19 inches of snow with the last 1-2 inches really compacted. Don't know how compacted snow is counted, but I imagine that puts it into the low 20s so a few inches above what DCA has.

Posted by: nwinfrey08 | February 6, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

FYI...Metro is stopping their underground-only service at 11 tonight. Mayor Fenty said they hope to resume bus service tomorrow...yeah right!

Posted by: thepostischeap | February 6, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Yup, we're at the tail end. Sun came out briefly about 15 minutes ago in NW DC.

@Snowlover2 @OldTownGirl @TidalWave1 @AlexandriaAnna -- Great to witness your connection. You all should meet up in person for a drink or dinner tonight. :)

@ubimea - Good luck, that can't be easy. Thanks for checking back in to report to CWG, even without power. We're sending you positive thoughts.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

5:20pm, snow stopped in Springfield. Measurement on my deck (which was bare at the start, and accumulated right away): 25 inches. However, there was some compacting, so the actual could have been more.

I did notice the lovely blue color in the middle of the snow while shoveling earlier. There is the barest bit of blue in the skies, but mostly clouds.

Posted by: DrMeglet | February 6, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

All quiet in South Arlington. What a remarkable storm.

Re. cocktails -- this has nothing to do with snow, but I was so impressed with it when I saw a reference to it the other day that I want to make it a real thing that bartenders still know a hundred years from now -- it's the Sully -- named for Chesley Sullenberger, the Miracle on the Hudson pilot.

The Sully

2 shots Grey Goose
splash water

(And I'm a Belvedere guy!)

Posted by: MosesCleaveland | February 6, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

23 inches at Fort Myer Park, on the corner of North Fort Myer Drive and Arlington Blvd.

Other than Arlington Blvd, none of the roads in Forth Myer Heights have been plowed yet.

This has been a seriously unbelievable storm.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 6, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

West Springfield - probably the storm total: 23.5" - I wish I could just say 2 feet and grin, but I can't find a non-plowed area that tops 23.5".

Posted by: bikerjohn | February 6, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I was not alive during 1922 Knickerbocker Storm and hardly anyone else, but I think when all is said and done the Blizzard of 2010 will be remembered as a greater storm from DC/Baltimore/Philadelphia. I know that the official DC measurement will not be 28 inches or more, but there is roughly 28 inches here in upper NW DC. I will always remember this storm. This ranks as my number one storm now even over 1993, 1996 and 2003.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 6, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

@DrMeglet - I noticed the blue in the snow, too. I just figured it was some snow-melt chemical. Was I wrong?

Posted by: ZF-MD | February 6, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Wound up taking 10 measurements, all between 32 and 33 inches in Purcellville, VA. The 32"s were all on the ground and the 33"s were on a wooden deck. Lucky to have power...trying to figure out how to safely get the snow off of the dish before the games tomorrow...

Posted by: technomuse | February 6, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Final tally in SE Loco - just to the lee of the Bull Run Mtns...32 inches. Bam! What a show...I have 40 inches in some spots counting Wed mornings snow...and thats 44 inches since last Sat.

Posted by: DullesARC | February 6, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Yes, how does one account for snow compaction? The inches we've shoveled (in about 12 passes on the sidewalks and drive) probably total near 30 somewhere.
If one scraped off each inch that accumulated on a chilled elevated board (as an extreme)...you would have much more than the detph that results at the end of a storm in the yard.

Posted by: bikerjohn | February 6, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Ashburn - just got done shovelling the driveway. too tired to get any real measurements. It has got to be 30 in. at least on the back deck. Amazing.

Now i'm ready for superbowl!

Posted by: LoudounGeek | February 6, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

mtpeaks - Thanks for joining us. I'm a big fan of CoCoRaHS. And you brought up a good point about snow measurement, which we will describe in an upcoming CWG post. The most accurate way to measure snow is to melt it first to get its liquid equivalent.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Blue skies in Laurel, and an adorable little backhoe plowing the apartment parking lot (pickup trucks with plow attachments got stuck and gave up earlier today)

Posted by: megamuphen | February 6, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

oops, sorry @TidalWave1!

Snow is gone, and I am sad.

On another note- sledding by the Masonic Temple - a total blast!

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 6, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

@ZF-MD I noticed it more in the fresh fallen snow than anything that had touched snowmelt or plow, I assumed it was an optical thing based on the kind of snow it was, and how the light was hitting it. It was usually in the middle of the wall or drift I was shoveling at the time. I'm sure one of the snow/weather experts could tell us more.

Posted by: DrMeglet | February 6, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

CWG, You guys should write an article comparing this to the storm of '96 '03 and the december 19th storm! That would be so cool!

Posted by: samdman95 | February 6, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and let me clarify that, before anyone goes to the Temple - you can't sled there as in years past- I was at a friends house with a slope in their yard near there!

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 6, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

24" total in Berwyn Heights. Hearing other reports on this thread, it seems the total could be higher since some of it may have compacted?? Nevertheless, I noticed that Howard County (10-15 miles north of here) has official reports of around 30" or so, and I noticed last night that they were getting much heavier precip for a while...so thinking 24 here is probably a good estimate.

Posted by: BH99 | February 6, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I noticed that the thick snow on the roof looked kind of glacial blue when I cut cross sections...

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 6, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Clearing skies, temp has fallen from 27 to 26 in last 30 minutes.
Those with strong hearts & backs are out there trying to liberate their vehicles. Good luck with that.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 6, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

22" inches in Franconia is the final total, an inch shy of the Dec. 19 total. But this is a heavy wet snow and so has lots more moisture in it than the previous blizzard.

Posted by: Woulde | February 6, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

A quick measurement on my back deck: 27". I'm in West Laurel. Oh, and I heard my first thundersnow last night at 4:15 am: a nice loud, long peal. Very cool & spooky.

Posted by: ppitts2 | February 6, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

@samdman, the 1979 storm was even bigger than the more recent snowfalls; it came atop a good six inches of snow and it was bitter cold (low-mid teens) for much of the storm. As is usually the case the 18.7 inches at DCA was the lowest figure for much of the region.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

@notdlo1975, thanks for the note about the schools on 2/15.

Took a long walk around my condo complex. A lot of neighbors were digging out. If you want to wade through some photos, here's a link to my facebook album (it's supposed to be public access):

Posted by: kygurl94 | February 6, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Final Snow Total Report: 25" in eastern Warren Co based on measurements from areas cleared prior to this event

20.1F currently

Posted by: spgass1 | February 6, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful sunset, I hope some folks in the high rises were able to get pictures! Final tally here in Four Corners was 29 inches. And miraculously, we still have power. This is one of the neighborhoods that loses power even in clear weather...

Posted by: vtavgjoe | February 6, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I apologize if this has already been posted, but the 4:00 CNN headline called the storm Snowmageddon!!!

-Katie

Posted by: ThinkGreen | February 6, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

27 inches here in southern alexandria

Posted by: fortheglory05 | February 6, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

WTOP is reporting that the snowball fight at Dupont Circle has gotten out of control, and Dupont Circle has been blocked off and closed by police!

Any eyewitness reports?

Posted by: stuckman | February 6, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Old Town Alexandria near the Eisenhower Ave metro stop:
I'm linking once more to video and now updated photos that I took earlier today around 12:30 PM when the last heavy band was making it's way through Alexandria. After I cook dinner my fiance and I are planning to trek out towards King Street with my DSLR and get some photos. I'll be sure to post them here when we do. When I measured at 12:30 PM we had ~ 15" in front of our apartment building which is adjacent to the Eisenhower Ave Metro Station on the Yellow Line. I think we picked up another 3-4 inches since. I'll make sure to measure a lot of spots when I go out this evening and report back.

Posted by: joelhousman | February 6, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

@vtavgjoe--I was able to snap a few in NW DC before it got too dark: http://bit.ly/bF338T.

Posted by: segatony | February 6, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Hi all. Feeling blessed to have power here in Riverdale Park, MD -- near neighbors, on the next street behind (just across the RR tracks), have not since last night.

So I dug back out to the chicken coops to lock them up for the night. Where there had been ~19.5 at 9AM, there is now ~25; but ~7-9" new snow in the path itself. I don't know how much of the discrepancy is compaction vs. snow that blew back into the path from its sides. Also, where the outline of the small, low coop (like this)was visible this morning, this evening I could only find it by following the path I'd shovelled in the morning. They still had some opening for air, up front near the feeders, but I couldn't see the structure at all, not even in outlined. The heavy-duty wire (~1/4" diameter metal mesh, quite stiff, and curved to shed snow) run, covered with plastic sheeting to keep the snow out, was caving in. I had to shovel 2' of snow off it, then reach the shovel inside and whack it back into shape. Amazed one of them is still laying, with all this stress!

Anyway ... after being too excited to sleep most of last night, and wearing myself out on shoveling today, I expect to sleep really, really well tonight. Bliss.

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 6, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Took another measurement, this time on the soccer field by the public pool on 25th and M. I measured about 20 inches, but the bottom stuff is very compacted and there was a small layer of ice at the bottom. I saw American University had 25.5 at noon this seems reasonable.

Posted by: nwinfrey08 | February 6, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

It's over! Hooray! We probably had 24 inches fall here in Silver Spring, perhaps even more. We certainly had more than 20 inches.

Posted by: Murre | February 6, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for these measurements - and I see one is near the old 1922 intersection where the "knickerbocker" storm was measured! (was 24th&M measurement in 1922)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for anyone who has not shovelled yet. In my condominium community, there are 6 ft high piles in front of their driveways. Or, may be they will wake up tomorrow morning and shovel it to our side of the driveways :-)

Posted by: RoseVA | February 6, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Final snowfall total b/w 24-26" in Silver Spring (Hillandale area)

Posted by: crazer | February 6, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I remember in one of the Seattle winter windstorms that caused widespread power outages, several families were killed from carbon monoxide poisoning when they used grills and lit fires that weren't properly ventilated. Many of the victims were non-native English speakers who had not heard or didn't understand the warnings. Hope nothing similar happens here! I'm at a loss as to what I can do from here, but maybe the Post could try to get the word out?

Posted by: paperball | February 6, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate the other Montgomery Village reports! I'm in Paton Ridge; still now plow but I did see the front-end loader working on Rothbury late this afternoon. Hopefully tomorrow.
Our final total was 24", with the bottom inch or two of that very wet and heavy. I'm glad I did the sidewalks every few hours.
Thanks for all the useful news from CWG and the commenters. Stay warm and safe tonight!

Posted by: RightField | February 6, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I imagine there will be many of us sleeping well tonight. I can see the pavement of my driveway...I called it quits at 6:30, shoveling by streetlight. I have so much snow piled on the sides of the driveway it's looking like a tunnel. It's as high as my shoulders.
Thanks to CWG and all the posters. Every time I took a break I would catch up with posts. I hope Walter will have an opportunity to do some sculpture and post a couple of pix.
I planned to watch NASCAR tonight but it may be sleepy time before then :)

Posted by: tbva | February 6, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for citing the COCORaHS source for water equivalent observations.

Another good source is here , which includes a contour analysis of the distribution of amounts (person analysis, not computer generated)

The NWS "offical" precipitation totals, computer analyzed from many sources of data and, importantly, quality controlled are here

Note: these are 24 hour totals, not storm totals

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Yes, looking forward to Walter's works of wonder.....

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 6, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Well that was something. The sun came out for about twenty minutes right before it went away for the night. I can't believe the totals here for the City of Manassas, 22" according to the NWS.

Posted by: irish031 | February 6, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Here's the latest on the weathering the weather in Bethesda. Great little blog too.

Posted by: leftmidfield | February 6, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse