The new Washington

By Jason Samenow

*** Latest Capital Weather Gang Storm Update ***

* Winter Storm Warning Friday morning through Saturday evening *
* CWG's Matt Rogers: Live chat transcript *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *
* Weather history: The Great Knickerbocker Snowstorm of 1922 *

The National Weather Service in Sterling, Va. has issued the following statement:

...RECORD SNOWFALL FORECAST IN THE BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON DC REGION...

...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS DEVELOPING TONIGHT...

GUSTY NORTHEAST WINDS 20 TO 30 MPH WITH VISIBILITIES FREQUENTLY FALLING BELOW ONE-QUARTER MILE DUE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL DEVELOP TONIGHT TO PRODUCE NEAR-BLIZZARD AND EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING. TRAVEL IS HIGHLY DISCOURAGED TONIGHT AND WILL BE VERY DANGEROUS.

LOOKING BACK AT THE BIGGEST STORM OF RECORD FOR WASHINGTON DC... THE JANUARY 1922 KNICKERBOCKER STORM ... 28.0 INCHES OF SNOW WAS PRODUCED FROM 3.02 INCHES OF LIQUID WATER. CURRENT FORECASTS FOR THIS EVENT HAVE TOTAL LIQUID FALLING FROM THIS STORM APPROACHING 3 INCHES ... WHICH ACCORDINGLY WOULD CREATE A SNOWFALL THAT WILL RIVAL THE KNICKERBOCKER STORM TOTAL. GENERALLY ACROSS THE REGION ... 20 TO
30 INCHES OF SNOW WILL FALL BY SATURDAY EVENING.

BALTIMORE'S RECORD OF 26.8 INCHES FROM THE PRESIDENTS DAY FEBRUARY 2003 STORM WILL ALSO BE THREATENED.

By Jason Samenow  | February 5, 2010; 1:45 PM ET
Categories:  Snowmageddon, Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snow underway: Some could see 2 feet or more
Next: Head of NOAA urges public safety

Comments

It's JUST barely starting to stick out here in SW DC. Barely 1:45 p.m...going to be an interesting 24 hours!

Posted by: SWester | February 5, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

first!

Posted by: DaLord | February 5, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

nevermind

Posted by: DaLord | February 5, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Starting to stick out here in Reston off of the toll road...hunkering down with some good movies to watch....Poll question..What would be a good stay at home for a snow storm movie? Another question for the gang, why is the snow storm of 1922 called the Knickerbocker storm? Great job by CWG!

Posted by: hoss516 | February 5, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Noted. Let's talk about this tomorrow :-)
I can get my head around the 20 inch forecast, but 30???!!!!
Make me a believer!

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 5, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

As long as the power stays on...

"Lord Of The Rings" and "Prates Of The Caribbean" trilogies are by the DVD player. "National Treasure" 1 & 2 as backup.

If anyone has an elderly relative/friend who always calls on them during big storms, y'all might wanna check up on them NOW, before the worst of the storm hits.

Posted by: Juan-John1 | February 5, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SWester | February 5, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I apologize if this question has come up already, but I have to ask - since when is Baltimore's record 26.8 and not 28.2 from the 2003 storm?

Posted by: CBeaven | February 5, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

It is called the Knickerbocker Storm, because I believe it collapsed the roof of the Knickerbocker theater in DC. However, I may have my stories mixed up!

Posted by: CMan62 | February 5, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

@ hoss516

Because the Knickerbocker Theatre collapsed because of the weight of the snow.

Posted by: matt555 | February 5, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Swebster...and juanjohn good calls with the LOR personally I am going to start with the Godfather part 1 and 2 any other good ideas

Posted by: hoss516 | February 5, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how to search prior posts efficiently, where I'm sure it was discussed, so I'll ask here.

How many days did the Federal Government close in 1996?

It's confusing, because we were coming off a furlough. But seems to me that the furlough was supposed to end on a Monday, the snow was Sunday-Monday, and the Government reopened Thursday (and then closed again for another snow Friday?).

If true, that would suggest that the Feds might be closed until next Wednesday. But that seems extreme. So maybe I'm misremembering.

Posted by: Groff | February 5, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

hoss516: The 1922 storm is called the Knickerbocker Storm because the roof of the Knickerbocker Theatre caved in from the weight of the snow, killing and injuring many, many moviegoers. Google and you'll find lots of information about the disaster.

Posted by: InVA1 | February 5, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

The Knickerbocker storm is named after a tragedy that happened during that blizzard. From what i understand, so much snow fell on the roof the Knickerbocker Theater in DC that the roof caved in killing 90 or theater-goers.

Posted by: xcandsnowfan | February 5, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

A nice synopsis of Washington winters and associated notable storms:

Posted by: mchristinaw | February 5, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Yea, 98 people died because the roof of the theater collapsed. That's freaky. Let's hope roofs are stronger these days. The theater's architect and owner committed suicide over it!

Posted by: blablabla | February 5, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Snowpocolipse, lets get real here. A tough storm has it's good points by having hilltop/mountain melts help a drought stricken southeastern U.S. come spring.

Posted by: jameschirico | February 5, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I am looking at the radar and sure seems to me that the bulk of the heavy precipitation is going to be off the coast soon. I think they expected more out of this initial stage of the storm and once the new low forms it usually scoots out pretty fast, doesn't it? Is there anyone else seeing what I am seeing. I don't see us getting as much snow as predicted.

Posted by: barbnc | February 5, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I would say that the one of the best movies to watch during a time like this is Lawrence of Arabia.

Posted by: VelocityAtrocity | February 5, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: barbnc | February 5, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

And yet despite these forecasts, and despite the fact that Metro's above-ground stations will close, and despite that Fenty has urged everyone to stay off the streets, the NHL in its wisdom is plowing ahead with its plans to have the Caps host the Thrashers tonight, safety of the fans be damned.

Posted by: sarner | February 5, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

For those who, like me, enjoy tracking airport status in a storm, here is the FAA link to airport status: http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

Currently, only Atlanta and Teterboro appear to have delays at this time.

Posted by: --sg | February 5, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

oops sorry that I posted twice - the connection isn't great.

Posted by: barbnc | February 5, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

In the last 5 minutes, it started to come down really hard here (moco-olney) and is definitely beginning to stick on the sidewalks, cars, ect.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 5, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

If I can pull myself away from CWG long enough to watch a movie (!), I'm tending toward LOTR and Godfather Trilogies. Still have to make sauce for tomorrow's lasagna, do a little cleaning, and fit in a nap. And exercise. Maybe.

From my perch in Centreville, we've had a steady snow for a while now. The roads are slushy but my cul de sac is still mostly just wet. I can't say whether or not it will be a blessing that temps stayed slightly above freezing longer today. Hate for folks to get a false impression that this won't be as bad as will be come 4pm.

Just debating how soon I will do my first shoveling.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 5, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

In regards to the Knickerbocker question - in 1922 DC had an all-time record snowfall of around 28 inches which stands to this day. During the storm, the roof of the Knickerbocker Theater collapsed under the weight of the heavy wet snow killing 98 people.

Posted by: aacuna | February 5, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I have my collection of Oscar contenders to watch through this weekend, assuming the power doesn't go out. Of course, if it does, we'll have much bigger things to worry about, like not dying from hypothermia because we're stuck in a house without any heat.

Posted by: arcland | February 5, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@barbnc, and everyone else who thinks there hasn't been much snow yet:

The forecast has always been for the heaviest snow to come late tonight. Nothing's changed.

Posted by: arcland | February 5, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

@hoss516 -- If you didn't watch Groundhog Day this week, you certainly should today. Of course, even if you did already watch it, it would make sense to do so again, and possibly tomorrow as well...

Don't drive angry.

Posted by: MosesCleaveland | February 5, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Article from last year in the Post gives details of the Knickerbocker Storm. Haunting. Tragic. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/21/AR2009012101298.html

Posted by: faygokid | February 5, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Weather in upper Montgomery County is still 34 degrees. The Weather Channel is suggesting it will stay above freezing well into this evening, likely reducing the totals reported so far.

So far, just wet road, people driving like it's slippery, but no issues, and probably none until very late this evening.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 5, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

In getting all super-excited about the current storm, I couldn't hlep but catch this in the Weather Service notice at :

"THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF ACCUMULATING WINTRY PRECIPITATION TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY. PLEASE MONITOR FORECASTS FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION ON THIS POSSIBLE STORM."

I'm curious, CWG, what should we make of this? I know there's been chatter of a storm coming our way next week, but could it be of significant magnitude?

Posted by: RASinDC | February 5, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Really light here in southern Prince William County. No way 6-8" by nightfall. I don't know... I'm getting a bad feeling about this one. Maybe not a bust, but a lot less than what the lastest NWS statement is saying.

Anyone else getting that sinking feeling?

Posted by: teezee210 | February 5, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RASinDC | February 5, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Incidentally, we've had snow storm totals much higher in the DC region than 28" in the last 10 years.

Perhaps they're measuring it on top of a warm storm grate.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 5, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Still not sticking to the roads here in western Loudoun but starting to stick to rooftops.

Posted by: glastonbury27 | February 5, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"No way 6-8" by nightfall"

At this rate, no way any accumulation by nightfall. It's simply too warm. I thought the front would chase the warm air away by now, but the warm air is hanging in there.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 5, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Eh, I'll believe it all when I see it. It's been snowing here (SW side of Baltimore) for 3 hrs now, and we still don't have anything sticking. Just too warm. I'm sure we'll get a good chunk as things cool down, but I'm not betting on any records falling. Sniff.

Posted by: laura33 | February 5, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Roads/sidewalks still clear, but the trees and parkways in Rosslyn are starting to turn white.

Patience, patience...

Posted by: annarky | February 5, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Snow is starting to stick to the rooftops of townhouses and office buildings in Ballston and visibility is about 7 city blocks... ~1km

Posted by: JoeThePhotographer | February 5, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

A lot of mentions for, lord of the rings, I thought they said weather fans were a geeky bunch? :)

Posted by: thedude3 | February 5, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Where are the 20+ inches (besides in my pants) that they were talking about? It's not evening sticking! I am stuck at work and they refuse to close unless there is some accumulation. It's all melting right away.....even on the side walks. WTF!

Posted by: jamalnasir_2000 | February 5, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

now, finally, it has just begun to stick to the roads....

of course, still nothing on my sidewalk and driveway - my prime "harvest" areas....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 5, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

lol @ Ombudsman1 trying to nowcast this storm by looking out the window. this is just the appetizer before the main course right now.

Posted by: fashionputitallonme | February 5, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone is a bunch of naysayers! This storm is really going to get kicking once the low moves off the coast and really explodes sending more moisture into the area. I can still see storm totals of 20-30in possible. I think this one is going to surprise those who first thought it was a bust and than had their eyes opened.

Trees are white, roofs are white, and only a matter of time before it starts sticking on streets here in fairfax city!!!

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 5, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I just looked at the future cast radar on Weather.com (The Weather Channel), and it is projecting a large band of rain moving north toward the southern metro area by late afternoon.

Are there changes occurring in this system that aren't reflected in the latest NWS and CWG forecasts? Does this indicate that the intensification of the low is not going to occur off the coast as anticipted, or is this a brief interlude prior to the explosion of the system into the major snow producer being predicted so far?

Posted by: MillPond2 | February 5, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

@teezee210-- I'm probably right around the corner from you. It's gonna have to crank up big time to get the totals forecasted around here, for sure! Not sure we should count it out just yet.

Just spoke to my Dad out in Bristow (Dunbarton). Very, very light snow out there. Roads not impacted at all (yet). Started out there about 9:30 or so this AM.

Posted by: southbridgemom | February 5, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Getting a bit worried up here in Frederick, MD--the temperature has actually gone up, from 34 degrees to 36. So even though there's a lot of snow falling, there's no sign of it accumulating. In fact, we're getting more ice than anything else yet. :-(

Posted by: dettiot | February 5, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Relax people - its going to pile up soon enough. This thing is going nonstop through tomorrow afternoon/evening - I mean think about that! We have 24+ hours of nonstop snow ahead of us! Enjoy!!!

Posted by: hrc2211 | February 5, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I just reminded my mom of a good point...you guys might want to take out some cash at an ATM if you can, because if the Snowmageddon knocks out power, your ATM card is worthless. If nothing else, at least you'll have cash now to barter with the other nomads once the storm of the millenium wipes out civilization and you're reduced to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 5, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Commenters on the easternuswx board are saying this is going to exit the coast at a near perfect location. The amount of raw moisture headed our way is staggering.
Who's going to get up to listen for thundersnow?

Posted by: AndrewRockville | February 5, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Annapolis, near Bay Bridge. Light, steady snow continues. Just beginning to stick to cars and split rail fence. Not sticking to road or walkway.

Posted by: Timinator | February 5, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Just starting to stick to the street and driveway here in North Arlington. Trees have a nice covering. Should I nap now so I can wake up and shovel in the middle of the night?

Posted by: 27champs | February 5, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

As you stragglers rush out to do your shopping, don't forget your shopping etiquette.

Here's an example of behavior that I deplore. [This just happened.] Although lines in a tiny N. Bethesda grocery were 10-15 people long, one woman parked her sparsely filled shopping cart in line and then disappeared to get something more. She did this three times. When she came back the last time, I told her not to run away again.Otherwise I would get in front of her cart. The way I see it, if you're not done shopping, don't get in line. She must have had a pretty big sense of entitlement.

My new rule: Never get in line behind an unmanned cart. Get in front of it.

Posted by: populationtrends | February 5, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Maryland Emergency Mgmt Agency Went to level 3 activation

Posted by: AndrewRockville | February 5, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Greenbelt, MD: Just now starting to stick to the grass, even though it's been snowing since a little before noon.

Posted by: kevinwparker | February 5, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

populationtrends, you said,
"...one woman parked her sparsely filled shopping cart in line and then disappeared to get something more. She did this three times...."

man, people are selfish.... i'm sure she was very pleased with her cleverness...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 5, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, finally a winter just for me!

Been snowing since before sunrise in Charlottesville. Unofficial total at 2:30 p.m. is 3.5" in the city (1 mile from UVA). Snow has been steady but light all day but in just the last 30 minutes has intensified into the tiny flakes that come down so deceptively thickly.

Driving is treacherous - tried to make it to the sledding hill at 11:30, and although I made it up one steep hill, I turned around thinking we might not make it back, and I'm glad I did.

Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | February 5, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Grocery Woman just went to hunter-gatherer mode early.

Posted by: Groff | February 5, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

The snow has slowed a great deal here in the last hour in the City of Manassas, it's almost acting like the tail end of a storm, rather than the front end, particually after it started the way it did this morning. Also, where it was sticking, is now clear. It's still sticking to the left over snow.

Well see how it ends up.

Posted by: irish031 | February 5, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Any thoughts on thunder-snow? I haven't heard much about it as of late.

Posted by: UpstateSnow | February 5, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Now it's coming down really hard and sidweways in Tysons Corner, but still not sticking to the asphalt.

Posted by: lnoz | February 5, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

i think we are losing significant potentially accumulating snow to this melting. the temps seem about 32, but dews are close to that. temps have not fallen to evaporative cooling. if temps remain at or near 32, i would think the impact of this storm will be much lower than it could have been. hard to believe we will have 4-6" by evening as predicted.

Posted by: gfp76 | February 5, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Herndon update - about 1/2" now on treated surfaces that aren't seeing traffic; otherwise sticking everywhere but melting into any areas which were already significantly wet. Big fat flakes, slow and steady.

Posted by: fsd50 | February 5, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Snowing since 10:00am in North Stafford...3-7inches were forecasted by this evening, and so far nothing is sticking. I would expect that down here but people in Frederick, MD are saying the same thing. Maybe the totals will be made up for later...we'll see.

Posted by: tjack55 | February 5, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

SnowmaNOTgeddonITDONE right now outside my window

Posted by: teezee210 | February 5, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

We're only supposed to get 2-4 inches of accumulation during the day today. Even if we lose most of that, we're still supposed to get 16-22 inches overnight and another 5-9 on Saturday. Now, I'm no expert, and the radar and current temps certainly make it seem possible that this could even end up being a rain event. But the experts seem to be reasonably unanimous in predicting at least 16 to 20 inches so I think it's too early to suggest that this is a bust. In fact, as I am typing, the flakes downtown are getting fluffier. (Fluffier? I really need to look up some of the many Inuit words for snow.)

Posted by: BobLHead | February 5, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Centreville, VA - Just checked outside, it's sticking to everything (and has been) except for the asphalt. Snow is fine and still coming down fairly decently, but not as much as about an hour ago. But since this is the leading edge, I expect the spurts for a while.

And since everyone lives in their own microclimate, I guess our experiences right now will have a lot of variance until this sucker powers up. Just blows me away to see how much moisture is in this monster to our south.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 5, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@HOSS: As for snow movies, I'd recommend The Thing or The Shining or White-Out. ;)

Posted by: spyderjerusalem | February 5, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Just rode home from Springfield to Arlington. Smaller side roads are accumulating a thin layer of slush. Otherwise road conditions were just wet. Easy ride (despite the dire predictions of coworkers), but I'm glad I left when I did. Temps are dropping now!

Hats off to CWG so far! I went in to work early and had a target leave time of around 1pm based on all the info (timelines, etc) that was posted for the past couple of days. The timeline has been, so far, exactly right. Snow started around 9:30, but it wasn't impacting travel conditions by 1-2.

It is so nice to have a reasonable idea of what to expect in that kind of detail!

Posted by: debiguity | February 5, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Shining, definitely...

"Married man, are you, Mr Grady?"
"I corrected them, sir"
and of course the overused...
"Here's Johnny"

Posted by: AndrewRockville | February 5, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Fairfax City/GMU - Moderate, semi-fine snow (changed from the big wet stuff). Just cleared the driveway for another car and shoveled 2.75". The driver reported that things are really getting slippery on the roads in Springfield/Mixing Bowl. Neighborhood roads look clear, but they are actually slushy. People are driving way too fast on the cut-through roads...so please be careful out there!

Posted by: figgy_va | February 5, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Very light Rain/sleet/snow in West Springfield, VA right now. Weather.com is now saying rain/sleet/snow mix with up to 1" of accumulation by 8:00pm. So much for this epic storm!!!

Posted by: Firedude | February 5, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

One person is shoveling 3 inches of snow, and somebody else a few miles away is reporting a mix...somebody has quite an imagination.

Posted by: tjack55 | February 5, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

It's the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy for me - at least for starters. LOTR extended editions are also possibilities. Lion King/Finding Nemo/Monsters Inc. for the kiddies. Or perhaps Harry Potters, 1-6?

Posted by: sciencegrrl | February 5, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Firedude, don't write-off this storm!
sciencegrrl, good plans!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Wachovia bank closed at 11:15 am. Freedom bank across the street closed at 2. Navy Federal Crdit Union closed at 1. Just got an email from our VP at retail banking for Suntrust and they are saying 'client first, we will continue to stay open'. What about safety first you #$!*!

Posted by: jamalnasir_2000 | February 5, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Just swept (not shoveled) the wet snow & slush from my sidewalk and my car roof and windshield in Falls Church City. Big fat wet flakes are definitely sticking, but accumulation so far is very moderate. As they say in Milan, "pazienza"....

Posted by: JeffMurray | February 5, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Wish I could post pictures on here, but streets in front of my house are wet with rain/sleet/snow mix right now.

Per weather.com:
snow mixed with sleet or freezing rain at times by 7pm. Cloudy with temperatures steady near the low 30s. NE winds at less than 5 mph, increasing to 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precip 85%. Additional snowfall around one inch through 8pm.

Posted by: Firedude | February 5, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

South Arlington: has been sticking to the lawns for some time and is finally starting to stick to the asphalt.

Glad I topped up my food/beverage supplies at the Pentagon Row Harris Teeter yesterday.

Posted by: Lukashenko | February 5, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

For hoss516, above:

Isn't the February 1922 record snowfall in Washington, DC known as the Knickerbocker Storm due to the collapse of the Knickerbocker Theatre roof near 18th&Columbia Road, NW? I think that was the reason for the name. Anybody know for certain?

Posted by: clydemcdo | February 5, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Eastport (Annapolis): the snow has been coming down for a few hours but is just starting to stick to the lawn and sidewalks. Nothing but wet on the roadways, however.

Looking forward to putting my snowshoes to use again. :)

Posted by: sshopper | February 5, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Question: How did the theater-goers get to the Knickerbocker in such a snowstorm?
Just wondering since I know later on tonight, I won't be able to get anywhere.

Posted by: jawz33 | February 5, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

weatherdude-rotflol. BTW, got the cash just in case (in case power goes). Also, my 16 yr old is driving now on her own, and giving her the credit/debit card for errands is not an option! :-D

Conditions here are still lame in Dumfries. Roads still wet, light snow.

Posted by: southbridgemom | February 5, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

@tjack55

It's not inconceivable for the difference between Firedude and myself. We're probably a good 9-10 miles apart and about 200 foot elevation difference. If anything, this should give a good indication of where the snow boundary is.

Posted by: figgy_va | February 5, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Signing in from Charlotte NC. Lived in Maryland until 5/09. LWX just posted a Blizzard warning for Anne Arundel, Calvert and St. Mary's counties.

Posted by: Pianokey | February 5, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I hate snowstorms because I have to shovel snow and get to work on time. We never close. I hate picking my way over piles of dingy frozen mess. But my grandmother always talked about the Knickerbocker storm and now I'm old enough to be a grandmother myself. So I say, if I have to put up with this s**t again, bring it on and let's break the record. Let's just try to avoid that loss of life. Stay off the road and look after your neighbors.

Posted by: greyK | February 5, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

My home weather station has a forecast function that tries to predict the next 12-24 hrs based on (I think) pressure and temperature trends. This morning it had a sun icon and said "mostly clear with little temperature change." Ha! (The barometer was climbing slightly this morning). I wonder how it will respond once the storm bombs off the coast.. ;-)

Posted by: CM_in_Fairfax | February 5, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Big, sticky flakes starting to pile up in McLean. My wife came home 30mins ago and her car is well coated. It could stop now and be a picture perfect setting. Fat chance...

Posted by: TheDubb | February 5, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Not seeing any lull in the snow in Oakton, VA. Has been snowing moderately for several hours, with about 3 inches on the ground.

Posted by: FH59312 | February 5, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Starting to stick on my driveway and parts of the road here from my perch near Georgia Ave. and the Beltway here in Forest Glen.

Looking forward to watching everyone get stuck in the snow on the off ramp like during the storm in December.

Posted by: OMGPonies | February 5, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Sticking on sidewalks, parking lots, and the median of Wilson Blvd here in Ballston.

Posted by: JoeThePhotographer | February 5, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Greetings from St Augustine, FL. It just started raining about 30 minutes ago here--same storm, I think.

I was up there for about ten years (leaving in 2005), including the January 1996 storm and a couple after that. But I don't envy you 30 inches.

Go, Saints!!

Posted by: Joegawel | February 5, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

yes, of course, LOTR and Harry Potter are good choices. I also favor TV show marathons: maybe a Simpsons one? Or, a good Lost review, since the last season's just begun.

Netflix watch-it-now feature sure opens the possibilities. Course, that all depends on the power staying on...

As for the snow, coming down thick, fluffy, and beautiful in N. Arlington. Sticking to my (residential) road, and the edges of Lee Highway.

Posted by: dinergirl1 | February 5, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Just started sticking up north here within the last half-hour, cars are already covered, and the trees look very picturesque!

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Latest forecast map shows snow/sleet/rain mix line just south of DC and along I-95.

RIP Epic Storm forecast...

Posted by: Firedude | February 5, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Temp has been slowly falling the last 1.5hrs, moderate snow about 1/2" in NW Spotsy. Starting 2 stick on roads, time 2 walk the dog. Still looking like a very big snow storm. 32.6 degrees.

Posted by: VaTechBob | February 5, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Snow has begun falling in Rehoboth. Yippee! Blizzard on the way. Still hoping for early release from work.

Posted by: klamp2001 | February 5, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Latest overnight forecast map shows snow/sleet/rain line passing right through DC.

Warmer air is being brought up with the moisture and will over run the cold air resulting in a wintry mix!

RIP Epic Storm!

Posted by: Firedude | February 5, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for posting twice.

Posted by: Firedude | February 5, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

The big thing that is will be influencing our weather tomorrow is an energetic jet stream above us, coupled with moisture coming up from the Gulf of Mexico. The Friday 05 Feb 10 map of the upper level winds at jet stream altitudes (300mb) from almost 10 hours ago - 3:48 PM EST (21:48Z) is posted on the Unisys weather website. (12Z 5 FEB 10)http://weather.unisys.com/upper_air/ua_300.html I think just I heard some distant thunder. The snow is starting to stick to the sidewalks by the Courthouse Metro in Arlington and is coming down faster.

Posted by: Dr_Gene_Nelson | February 5, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Back to Baltimore's comment - didn't we have 30+ inches Presidents' Day Wkend 2003? In Minn., I heard that low 30s produce the larger snow storms.

Posted by: notacook | February 5, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Re: the Knickerbocker storm. My Grandfather had to walk from downtown DC to his home in Chevy Chase - on Western Avenue - because no streetcars were running. I can't remember how many hours it took him, but it was one long, cold, walk!

Posted by: OKGunfight | February 5, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Firedude, it may be quite overcast, but the sun still has to "set" - and with the warmer temps the past two days, this was part of the calculation. That rain/sleet/snow line you are admiring is heading straight into some dipping temps. The thermometer is NOT going up anymore today. We've dropped 3 degrees since the high of 34 out my way.

CWG - well done - it's 4pm, it's finally at or slightly below freezing in Centreville generally, and the asphalt is starting to accumulate snow out front, which was not the case an hour ago. I don't believe you had any serious pickup until about this time.

The snow that's coming down now is the real thing - the stuff that adds up fast.

Impressive.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 5, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Ashburn - starting to stick on everything. They naysayers are nuts. I observer only about 2 in of snow in grass surface so at most, at most we "lost" about 2 in of accumulation due to warm surface. Brace for what's coming down tonight!

Posted by: LoudounGeek | February 5, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

"A tough storm has it's good points by having hilltop/mountain melts help a drought stricken southeastern U.S. come spring."
----
Not necessarily Jameschirico. Maryland, half of Virginia and West Virginia, and part of Pennsylvania drain into the Chesapeake Bay. You need to see if there's snow farther south to replenish any groundwater in southeastern U.S.

Posted by: dottie_b | February 5, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

The Knickerbocker Storm was not measured at Reagan Airport (obviously), which is notorious for producing measurements that are significantly lower than the rest of the area (even in DC proper). It has something to do with the location where the measurements are taken.

So if we get anywhere close to 22 inches or so, we can assume this storm was just as bad as the one in 1922.

Posted by: greggiebaba | February 5, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Fox 5 Weather, which had been predicting on the lower side, now predicts 4-8 inches by 8 pm, which they note would put us well ahead of schedule.

Posted by: greggiebaba | February 5, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

The wind and the snow have picked up considerably here on Bull Run Mountain in the past hour. Before that, there was sleet and maybe even a little rain in it. 5" on the ground.

Posted by: northerncrown | February 5, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Extended version of Kingdom of Heaven followed by Firefly and the movie Serenity. Or I may watch all the extras in the Matrix DVD set my sister sent. It claims there are 35 hours of extras. *G*

Posted by: Fabrisse | February 5, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm writing for Southbridge Mom and she tells me there is 3.25" of wet, heavy, heavy snow in Dumfries. I (the hubby) have a broken ankle and she is shoveling right now. I guess I will do anything to get out of shoveling.

Posted by: southbridgemom | February 5, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Anyone say "Knickerbockers"?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n03a7cLf0M

Posted by: RavishalBentham | February 5, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Please watch my video images

It's about climate change, earth catastrophe and our planet as we lives in.

Thank you.

Posted by: andi-prama | February 6, 2010 3:20 AM | Report abuse

Shi* I fell asleep at 9:00 (rough week) and I wake up to what looks like 10" more inches in 5 hours. Have I missed the big snows or are there more to come? Looks like is still snowing like crazy but can tell what the rate per hour is at the moment?

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 3:23 AM | Report abuse

@CWG what snow rates per hour are we currently seeing at 3:20 in AA county and how much longer will the heavy snow last. For that matter how much more should I expect between now and the end of the storm? I am hoping for another foot:)

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 3:24 AM | Report abuse

It is called the Knickerbocker storm because in 1922 there was a moviehouse call the Knickerbocker Theatre and the roof collasped in that storm and killed 98 people.

Posted by: PPVAS | February 6, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I donno what you should do to protect yourself in a snow storm, I recon you should stay home, even better stay in bed…lol. Man who wants to go out in that kind of weather anyways? Unless your gonna build a snowman or something. Whoever wrote this… http://ketiva.com/Education_and_Reference/what_to_do_during_a_snow_stormhow_to_stay_safe_and_entertained_during_a_snow_storm.html must’ve been in the army, it’s like survival in suburbia … (during an ice age that is) interesting read though

Posted by: markmarksis | February 7, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse