The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 9:31 AM ET, 02/10/2010

Weather Service: Don't drive in this...

By Jason Samenow

Wind gusts around 40 mph common

* Latest update: Blizzard Warning for entire region *

Special Statement from National Weather Service....

...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS THIS MORNING FOR THE BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON REGION...THE EASTERN PANHANDLE OF WEST VIRGINIA...

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE THIS MORNING AND EARLY AFTERNOON. LIFE THREATENING BLIZZARD CONDITIONS HAVE DEVELOPED RAPIDLY ACROSS THE BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON REGION THIS MORNING.

AT 7:27 AM THIS MORNING...A WIND GUST WAS RECORDED TO 60 MPH AT MANASSAS VIRGINIA. NUMEROUS WIND GUSTS OVER 40 MPH HAVE OBSERVED AROUND THE REGION ALONG WITH WHITE-OUT CONDITIONS.

IF YOU GET STRANDED IN YOUR VEHICLE...DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CAR TO TRY TO WALK FOR ASSISTANCE...YOU CAN QUICKLY BECOME DISORIENTED IN WIND DRIVEN SNOW AND COLD. THIS STORM WILL SUBSIDE EARLY THIS EVENING...SO WAIT IN YOUR CAR FOR EMERGENCY HELP TO ARRIVE. PERIODICALLY RUN YOUR ENGINE FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES EACH HOUR FOR HEAT. ENSURE YOUR EXHAUST PIPE IS CLEARED OF SNOW AND ICE. CRACK YOUR WINDOWS TO AVOID CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING. TIE A COLORED CLOTH TO YOUR CARS ANTENNA TO BE VISIBLE TO RESCUERS. FROM TIME- TO-TIME...MOVE YOUR ARMS...LEGS...FINGERS...AND TOES TO KEEP BLOOD CIRCULATING.

Bold text -- emphasis added

Here are some other wind gusts reported from the around the region in the last several hours (updated at 10:30):

Dulles 44
Reagan 32
Ft. Belvoir 43
Andrews Air Force Base 25
Quantico 38
Stafford 29
Manassas 26
Leesburg 38
Gaithersburg 32
BWI 38
Patuxent River 48

By Jason Samenow  | February 10, 2010; 9:31 AM ET
Categories:  Alerts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alert: Blizzard warning for entire metro region
Next: Blizzard continues: Snow piles up, winds rage

Comments

First? Black lab just came in... not much snow on his back, but his sides were plastered!

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | February 10, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, CWG. Safe and warm (so far) at home. Everyone, take care.

Posted by: mcaicedo | February 10, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

If anyone needs additional confirmation that (a) it's too dangerous to drive out there except for true emergencies, and (b) too many folks are driving anyway, check out the traffic cameras around the region at www.trafficland.com. Amazing conditions.

Posted by: InVA1 | February 10, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Smoley Hokes. Woke up this morning at at around 7am thinking the forecast was a bust.

Now, I can barely see across the street here near Fort Myer. We've definitely had a couple inches in the last hour alone. Makes me thankful to have a warm apartment, warm clothing and food in the fridge.

Not to mention a couple cats that serve as purring, furry hot water bottles! :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | February 10, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Greenbelt, MD: Hard to tell just how much we've gotten so far, but I want to say 5-6". Coming down fairly vigorously and at a definite angle. We don't usually seem to get as much wind as forecast - we'll see if that holds this time.

Posted by: kevinwparker | February 10, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I-66 is about a block from my living room window. It's currently missing.

Posted by: ArlingtonGay | February 10, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

There are just too many people on the road

Posted by: IvantheTerrible | February 10, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Greenbelt, MD: It's really picked up just in the last few minutes, both the snow and the wind. There are definite clumps in the snow going by, and the trees are swaying vigorously in the distance. We're ready for a power outage if we get one, but I'm still hoping we don't.

Posted by: kevinwparker | February 10, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

@Waterfront, my pooch had same conditions! And really on one side of him. He had this look of 'huh?'. I mumbled...yer a lab, your're supposed to love this. lol

Posted by: vaguypost | February 10, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

it looks that giant band went right over DC, and is now getting pushed right back over us by the low

Posted by: gsb11 | February 10, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Agreed @ "too many" on the roads. Wrapped up a pair of lab runs & nearly got sideswiped on both legs of both trips.
The last run was brutal - visibility measured in yards & feet.
Please - if you don't have to be out there, don't go...

Posted by: Jayess | February 10, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Juan-John , you said,
...cats that serve as purring, furry hot water bottles!

they're the best kind!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 10, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

y nevar y nevar y nevar ...
y llorar y llorar y llorar ...

Posted by: Murre | February 10, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Just got back from braving the walk across the street to my library (being the closest means that I volunteered to change the closed signs on the doors and change the phone message).

It's really bad conditions in Frederick: the snow's coming down in buckets, in the big fluffy flake variety. Add in the winds, and there's no place safe to be. I'd guess there's several (5 or so) inches of new snow on top of the near-30 we got over the weekend.

There are plows running in downtown, but I would guess it's like trying to part the Red Sea right now.

Really, everyone. Stay in and stay safe!

Posted by: dettiot | February 10, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Waterfront and Vaguy--my labs are exhilarated by all of this. They LOVE it. Something in their genes I guess. I had to call them in for fear of all the branches flying off the trees.

Posted by: labs4m3 | February 10, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

There were 2 inches at 11pm and 7.5 inches at 8am in Vienna. The blowing snow makes this storm a much different and more dangerous one than the previous storm.

Stay safe and warm.

Posted by: BidsKids | February 10, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else seeing a lot of bird activity?

I've seen a couple hundred (yes, a couple hundred) take flight in huge groups in the last 30 min. Not sure why they left their previous encampment and have no idea where they think they're going -- I'm shocked that they can fly straight!

Posted by: annarky | February 10, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

SE LoCo - Gust to 51 on the home weather station...Temp is 25.5 and it looks like downeast Maine in a Noreaster...oh wait, maybe Maine has moved 600 miles or so south this winter. Snow from the sky seems to be in a lull, but snow from everywhere else is flying.

Posted by: DullesARC | February 10, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

6.5" in Olney at 08:30. Then the wind picked up and it started dumping.

Posted by: johnslau | February 10, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

If I am doing my basic math and reading comprehension correctly...Dan Stillman's post is calling for 5" to 11" total for D.C. with more in N and NE. Still sticking with that?

Posted by: DCcola | February 10, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Eldersburg surrenders! As of 8:30AM we have almost 14 inches of new snow to go with the 28+ that fell over the weekend. It's snowing heavily here with temps in the mid 20s. The wind is beginning to pick up and we have near whiteout conditions!

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 10, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

@labs4m3

Same here. Our lab just had ACL surgery 2 weeks ago, and she wants to run and jump through the snow.

Posted by: JW211 | February 10, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Insane conditions! Cars on Wisconsin Avenue with headlights on couldn't be seen 50 yards away. My walk lasted ten minutes before I couldn't take the stinging flakes (so much for climbing Everest...). Interesting that winds appeared to be out of the Southwest for now.

Posted by: manatt | February 10, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

The intensity has died down quite a bit in Oakton. Visibility has increased significantly in the last 15 min.

Posted by: paige_va | February 10, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I was looking at traffic cameras in DC, Baltimore and Philly - we have more snow on the road than they do. Is that because they treated the roads, or did we get the eye of the storm?
What are the odds that Metro will be running tomorrow?
I figure the feds won't be open till Friday.

Posted by: Bainbridge | February 10, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Wow. The EOD Tech Center (Stump Neck Annex of Indian Head) has closed. The Tech Center NEVER closes (it has not in the last 5 years that I've been here, as far as I know). This is truly astounding.

Here between La Plata and Indian Head it's currently coming down gently, fooling you into believing that it's calm, and then a wind gust comes up and creates a near white-out. I don't think we have much accumulation, but it's hard to tell.

Posted by: FrozenTundraTransplant | February 10, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

new snow since 4 am (when husband valiantly shoveled the deck) - 4". unbelievable. with the about 4.5"-5" we had last night I would say we are at around 8.5"-9" total in alexandria in fairfax county, right outside the beltway.

as a native southerner, i've never seen anything like this!

Posted by: mmonty1205 | February 10, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Light to moderate snow.
Winds are still gusting but are much subdued from previous morning insanity. I think that's that hardest I've ever seen snow being blown in my life.
Still not at the 6 inch low end accumulation CWG predicted. Just need one last heavy snow band to do it....

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 10, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I woke up wide awake on Capitol Hill at 4:30 am, and if I'd been near a computer I'd have written something stupid like, "Oh, the second part of the storm missed us." Same at 8 am. Now at 9 am it's a complete, furious blizzard, lts of snow coming down and wild winds. Now I get why the weather geeks were saying this second low would appear "explosively." And how. Plenty of dopes driving their little sedans down Pennsylvania Ave SE, to their doom.

Posted by: Trulee | February 10, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Attention! Anyone out there who's just decided to make a run to the hardware store to buy a shovel. IT'S TOO LATE.

Posted by: mfein2 | February 10, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

In south Alexandria the falling snow has ended but gusty winds have blow the snow from today and last time around so all shoveled surface are covered again. Neighbors have gone out to try to shovel out their car.

Posted by: heatherfeather1 | February 10, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

BIIIG gust just wne through Columbia. Looks like things are about to pick up here!

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

11 inches of snow since yesterday here in Gaithersburg.

Posted by: Thundershock | February 10, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

In Burke, snow is now light, and winds are not what they were a couple of hours ago. There may be hope. But I'm not shoveling anything until the afternoon.

Posted by: Gunga2009 | February 10, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

@annarky Been seeing that bird activity since the first storm. Periodic groups of 100s of birds flying by at once. Not sure what it is either.

Posted by: ironmanjt | February 10, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Life threatening? Taking a bath is life threatening.

Posted by: BaracksTeleprompter | February 10, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Judging by the radar, the snow looks to ending for the area. All clear out to the west.

Posted by: heatherfeather1 | February 10, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

CSX line runs behind my back fence. A freight train just went by at a perfectly normal speed. Amazing.

The plows have been going up and down my street more than they did in the whole weekend storm. I guess DPW appreciated that full Crock-Pot I dropped off last night! I hope they aren't really favoring my block, there are much higher-priority roads that were still in bad shape as of yesterday.

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 10, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Very impressive watching the energy off the coast of Ocean City....spinning like a pinwheel! Look at all the moisture! OMG!

Posted by: GMorg11 | February 10, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Snoverkill doesn't even cover this storm! It's more like a "Cluster Flake" out there! Stay safe everyone!

Posted by: pentagonbrat | February 10, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Heard on the radio the 301 Bridge has been closed due to white out conditions.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | February 10, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

There it is!! Columbia, MD down to about 1/10th of a mile visibility now. Incredible.

Posted by: B-Kraemer | February 10, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I just woke up 30 minutes ago...in Siberia.

Posted by: truyle | February 10, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

No, Heather, the snow is NOT "ending for the area" snow is pouring down and sideways still here in NW DC, and the wind is blowing fiercely.

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 10, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

The 'snow bombs' are flying off the trees - ground accumulations are going to be double what they are on rooftops!

Posted by: alc_in_NoVa | February 10, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

@ heatherfeather1 - ENDING? I don't think you're viewing the radar correctly.

Posted by: parksndc | February 10, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Based on the snow on the mailboxes, it looks to be about 5-6" total here in Crystal City. Hard to say whether some might have blown off of them, though. I don't know where you get an accurate measurement with all this wind.

Still snowing here. It would be foolish to be driving right now in any kind of traffic.

Posted by: acoberst1 | February 10, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe my office is insisting on staying open today. Right now my options are: risk life and limb to go to work, or use a "vacation" day. I grew up with storms like this every winter, and even I'm impressed by this storm.

Posted by: efisher1 | February 10, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

@vaguypost - The black lab likes to play the "towel game". He goes outside (doggie door), gets snow covered, comes in all frisky and runs up the stairs like he's been shot out of a cannon to get toweled off. Dry. Repeat.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | February 10, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Here goes another train, in the opposite direction, at a much more sober pace.

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 10, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks that this is about to end should fire up Google Earth and turn on the 'Weather' display. There's a whole lot of moisture out there to our west.

Posted by: mfein2 | February 10, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Just returned from a stroll outside (DC-SW). I've seen somewhat more extreme conditions, even in DC, but why quibble when (from the perspective of a snow lover)such occurrences are so rare.

BEWARE! In whiteout conditions it's easy to become disoriented and, for example, wander unintentionally into the middle of the street!

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

From the 18th floor in Rosslyn --- Safeway tractor trailor stuck making turn from N. Oak Street to go up 18th Street North. (Delievery entrance for Safeway in Rosslyn is on 18th Street North.) First tow truck (a very big one) stuck going uphill on Key Blvd. Still there spinning tires. Second big tow truck has now arrived.

The new snow is covering a layer of ice making for a *very* bad situation.

Visibility was better but is now down to one to two blocks.

Posted by: djm-01 | February 10, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Here in Oakton, VA we all of a sudden went from whiteout conditions to light snow and much calmer winds in a very short period of time.

Posted by: FH59312 | February 10, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

9:30am Wed, just got in from walking the dog. Heavy snow, wind picking up. About 5" since yesterday.

Posted by: annapyr | February 10, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

@efisher1

I am a federal and had work today too. I opted to not kill myself or anyone else and used a day of sick leave...as I am sick of this snow!!!

Posted by: jaw33 | February 10, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

@waterfront. That's a lab for ya..that's awesome. I've got a mix, the other part American Bulldog..he loves to play and tromp, but the wind gust took him by surprise this morn. In another life, I want to come back as a labbie who lives in the snow belt. :-)

Posted by: vaguypost | February 10, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

This is as incredible a 2 week stretch as I've ever seen on the east coast and previously lived in the hills of northwest Connecticut... we'll talk about this forever!

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

@efisher1

See my report above. Stay safe. Use vacation day...

PS - First two truck has now been stuck for over 30 minutes.

Posted by: djm-01 | February 10, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Annarky - don't know what the birds are doing. But I know that driven wet snow suffocates birds by coagulating on and blocking airflow through their nostrils. After blizzard of 75 in MN where I grew up, we picked up suffocated wild pheasants frozen stiff in our front yard - and had them for dinner (they're delicious).

Posted by: KPosty | February 10, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

@efisher1

I am a federal employee and had work today too. I opted to not kill myself or anyone else and used a day of sick leave...as I am sick of this snow!!!

Posted by: jaw33 | February 10, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Although the radar looks better, it is important to remeber to that as the low grows stronger it will cause rap around snow in a circle like motion. My question for the CWG guys is how long will we have snow today in Alexandria to Washington?

Posted by: thecavs1 | February 10, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

jaw33-

if you're a fed then why did you go into work today??? that's dedication, holmes.

Posted by: DaLord | February 10, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

CWG, TV weather forecasters are saying there is an upper level low in West Virginia that will move eastward and join up with the coastal low. Does this mean more heavy snow and high wind later today?

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

"LIFE THREATENING"....anybody regretting selecting a name with "kill" in it?

Posted by: DCcola | February 10, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

West Springfield (near Accotink Dam) - 8:30am storm subtotal 5.5" (with layers of sleet, graupel and kitchen sinks thrown in).

Posted by: bikerjohn | February 10, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

The snowman across the street now looks like a volcano.

Posted by: Murre | February 10, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Vienna: snow has lightened up considerably. Winds blowing, but not so fiercely. I'm looking at a guy over there standing on his roof, shoveling off snow. Wouldn't a dynamic load be more hazardous? (Not to mention standing on a roof in the snow.)

Posted by: shepdave2003 | February 10, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

What I find impressive is the temperature drop with this upper level feature that is rolling through. That is rare. We are down in the low to mid 20s now with wind chills as low as the single digits.

Posted by: MattRogers | February 10, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

anyone have a timeline as when the winds will really start to pick up

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 10, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Steve-I'm curious-what more "extreme" conditions have you seen in DC than this? Because I can't think of anything in the last 25 years to beat this storm.

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 10, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

FYI - I will be on The Weather Channel in the next hour or so being interviewed for a video I submitted. Will likely be on in the next hour.

Greg

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | February 10, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Are there any other storms on the horizon?

Posted by: trygull | February 10, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: truyle | February 10, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

We just had a lull in Falls Church, but both snow and wind are picking up again. Both are very heavy right now. Isn't the rotation of the storm bringing everything in North to South? Isn't that a large reason we will be seeing the moderate to heavy snow/wind throughout the day?

Posted by: Bworl | February 10, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Ian, where in the NW hills of CT? I grew up there as well. I remember one pretty impressive blizzard that rivals this one, but that was about it.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | February 10, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

@kposty-"had suffocated dead pheasants for dinner"--UGH, GROSS-VOMIT.

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 10, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

SteveT, I agree with you. I've lived in Silver Spring for 42 years and I have never seen anything even close to what's going on these past few days. Someone on accuweather had commented that this storm will be much worse up towards New York. I disagree, because New York did not have the 2 feet of snow already on the ground like we do. I can't imagine how high the snowdrifts will be when this thing finally dies down.

Posted by: rginsburg | February 10, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

R we expecting wrap around moisture as the low moves up the coast, or backfill to occur?

Posted by: snowlover | February 10, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

waterfrontproperty, vaguypost,
my dog LOVES the towel game - rain or snow.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 10, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

@kposty, @arriabato

And here I was taking kposty's anecdote to heart, thinking that if the roads stay trashed, I could at least subsist off of some urban hunting. Mmm, city sparrows.

Posted by: annarky | February 10, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Really snowing hard with high winds and reduced visibility here south of B-more.

Posted by: snowlover | February 10, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

mfein2 ... Nice call on the Google Earth - Weather. Very cool.

Posted by: Bworl | February 10, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Re: historical comparators, from what I'm told, the blizzard of 1966 was as bad as this (even colder!). But I moved here a few months after that storm. This is the worst I've experienced in D.C.

For sure we've topped 50" of snow at DCA. A new all-time Washington, D.C. record is within snowing distance.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Matt's post much, much earlier this morning-
"it looks like the winds will be strongest from around lunchtime through the afternoon hours."
Is that true? Winds will get worse from current conditions? That would be bad.
Light snow in Centreville VA.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 10, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

@rginsburg-you didn't read SteveT's post correctly-he said he's seen "somewhat more extreme conditions around DC than this" -I for one would like to know what those "somewhat more extreme conditions" were-because I've not seen anything like this, including that Hurricane that came through in 2004.

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 10, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Question for the CWG - do you expect this thing to pivot and start sending bands back at us from the north? Because to my untrained eye it looks like we may be in the clear here in Montgomery County in an hour or two. Unfortunately my Internet is out so I can't bring up a bunch of maps and try to figure it out myself (not that I have any real clue what I'm talking about). All praises to the iPhone for letting me write this comment!

Thanks!

Posted by: mo26 | February 10, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Firedragon, wow, the winds with the upper level impulse were much stronger than I expected. The afternoon winds are expected from the strong low forming off the East Coast. They should still be in the same range (20-30mph with gusts to 40+).

Posted by: MattRogers | February 10, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

arrabbiato

The most extreme case for me (Ft. Wash., MD) was Feb 11-12, 1983 - in terms of short periods of S++, strong winds, blowing and drifting, and near zero visibility. 16.6" total in DC

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Some people will eat anything, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it included their own feces as well!

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 10, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Can you believe my newspaper was delivered around 8.45 this morning in Glover Park? That delivery guy deserves a serious Christmas present (or before).

Posted by: doubtingdavid | February 10, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

SouthsideFFX, Goshen in Litchfield County. I was only there for about 8 yrs and we did see some biggies but it's hard to draw a distinction after this recent stretch down here.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Court House/Rosslyn: My boyfriend and his roommate had to go to work today; I walked them part of the two miles there. Extremely windy, and with the snow blowing that hard, painful at times. Visibility almost nil. Be safe out there, everybody!

Posted by: museum_lady | February 10, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

We are expecting wrap-around moisture from the coastal low to continue this afternoon...which would be a lighter variety snow...with those winds and our new snow blowing around, you may not be able to tell at times though.

Posted by: MattRogers | February 10, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

trygull, the southern jet stream looks to remain active. There was some thought the next storm (this weekend) would stay well south but that has not really been the case most of the winter. It has trended north some recently but still has a bit to go till we worry too much.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Are we expected to see backfill/wrap around snow with continued snow through the afternoon into evening?

Posted by: snowlover | February 10, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Al Gore promised global warming. Where are you Al?? Come forward and explain please.

Posted by: shortguy | February 10, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Okay, I was living in Hawaii then, and thus didn't experience that storm...but that still doesn't sound as bad as what we have now...given that we will have well over 30 inches of snow here in DC before this is all over, and expected to be white-out for most of the day.

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 10, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Here in Alexandria, 395 and Seminary Rd., still a total white-out, but so pretty. The snow is collecting on the inside of the windows and there's a breeze in my living room.

Posted by: alex741 | February 10, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Heavy consistent snow in Lake Ridge. Winds pick up every now and then causing reduced visibility.

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 10, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

@doubtingDavid, the Washington Post paper guy in my Glover Park nabe, Ronnie, is a trooper! He's had the route for the nearly all of the 32 years I've lived here and he rarely misses a delivery.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Just measured 8" here in N. Arlington at 9:30 am. I used a level surface, but the wind makes accuracy problematic. Snow rate is heavy with some decent sized flakes. Wind is blowing a bit but haven't noticed any serious drifting yet.

The power lines don't have much snow on them because of the wind, but I can see a thin ice coating on them. A smaller plow drove up the road a few minutes ago, plowing at a pretty good speed. As I write this, a train of plows led by a front-end loader just went up another road. Looks like Arlington is trying to keep up with the snowfall, but the roads are still not great.

Posted by: wx_bob | February 10, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Wow - the snow you are experiencing makes me miss Virginia. (yes, seriously) Here in southern California, it's raining and dreary. Stay warm everyone.

Posted by: socalgirl | February 10, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

our post came yesterday for the first time since friday, but not today...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 10, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Tony Pann (WBAL) is still predicting 8-6 inches of "new" snow. Does he mean new today, or new since Snowmageddon?

Posted by: edwardappleby | February 10, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Thank Matt.
Snowing harder in Centreville VA. And of course, gusty winds!
I wish to declare my beloved 5 year old digital camera a Snowmageddon fatality. We've done a lot of picture taking these last few days for the personal archives; "zoom error" jam probably = RIP
At least we transferred to files before failure.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 10, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Even if the storm only gives us a few hours of break - that is 1-3"/hr that does not have to be shoveled!

Posted by: bikerjohn | February 10, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

The snow has gone to my brain. I meant: Tony Pann (WBAL) is still predicting 8-16 inches of "new" snow. Does he mean new today, or new since Snowmageddon?

Posted by: edwardappleby | February 10, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Montgomery County and DC have suspended plowing operations due to poor road conditions. (Source: Fox5)

Posted by: IanCam | February 10, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Fierce weather. Glad I'm cozy inside and reading all about it here. Thanks, CWG.

There's a lull in the wind here in Adams-Morgan. I just opened the storm door onto my porch (pushing back a drift) to scrape the encusted snow off of the glass to improve my view outside.

I watched the trafficland cameras earlier and saw a bicycle going down the middle of Conn Ave at Calvert street--whiteout conditions and a scattering of cars. Crazy.

Posted by: jkegg | February 10, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

@truyle,

Ivan already posted his mea culpa this morning. All is forgiven.

Posted by: AlexBike | February 10, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I hope we all see another 6" from 10:00am onward! Is this in the realm of possibility?

Posted by: snowlover | February 10, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I live in a cul-de-sac three blocks in from a main. As soon as snow starts, my neighbor drives up and down the cul-de-sac and down to the main road to create a path without shoveling and I'm watching her do this right now. Does anyone know if packing the snow down like this is helpful or hurtful?

Posted by: scw2u | February 10, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

"Explosive winds"?!! Now on top of the snow and ice, we have to worry about the AIR exploding?!!

Who *writes* these headlines?! Severe, fierce, intense, dangerous, or violent...yeah, sure. But 'explosive'?

Posted by: WilyArmadilla | February 10, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

@CWG - Any updates on potential accumulation? Just saw that ABC's Naille says another 8-14 will fall before it finishes? Is that quote recent and accurate? http://wtop.com/?nid=596&sid=1880749

Posted by: dukenilnil | February 10, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

No mail, no newspaper, no garbage pickup, and most importantly, still no snowplow in my neighborhood in Fairfax County since before the weekend storm. Dreaming of 90 degree heat and humidity!

Posted by: FH59312 | February 10, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

"Hey, so, uh where are all the folks who were calling "BUST" around 3 or 4 p.m. yesterday? That crowd seems a little quiet this fine morning."

I called for bust as late as 4:15 yesterday afternoon, and posted my apology around 7:30 last night. And yes, I kept it quiet thereafter...

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 10, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I got an email from the City of Alexandria saying the National Guard has arrived to provide support for emergency services. Also contractors from other cities.

Posted by: dottie_b | February 10, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Visibility has improved in Manassas, though it's still snowing lightly. No sign of especially high winds at this point.

Posted by: jadmirel | February 10, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

doubtingdavid

Agree. The paper has been waiting for me every morning at 8 when I go down to get it. Not one day has been missed.

Posted by: marathoner | February 10, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

For the 3rd time: I called bust for Charlottesville and was right.

Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | February 10, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Snow++ with very gusty and strong winds in Rosslyn

Posted by: genestad | February 10, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

@annarky-

Posted by: pmknp | February 10, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

With the combo of wind and cold you guys are describing, I would expect to see historic drifts later today...like we get here in MN:) I miss the Wash DC area winters where you can have "snow days"!

Posted by: dvorak9 | February 10, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

No city block walks for our 15 y/o dog for awhile. We've had to shovel a clear paddock for her in the backyard. The blizzard was a rude awakening for the old girl this morn., but she's a trooper.

Posted by: Frida7 | February 10, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

For those asking about early next week, there is talk of a minor clipper on Monday.

I ran across the term Manitoba Mauler yesterday. Apparently it's a Minnesota thing, like a Saskatchewan Screamer.

If we get anything on Sun-Mon, sounds like it will be a Sissy Clipper.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Why would anyone miss living in Virginia?

Posted by: gjjg4dgd | February 10, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Just north of Del Ray - very, very heavy winds and snow. Every time there's a big gust my window turns white. I'm sitting here actually watching branches break off the trees across the street. Fortunately none have hit anything. Seen a couple Dominion Power trucks driving up & down the street.

Posted by: esmith22015 | February 10, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

What a perfect morning to have a baby! At least, that's what our neighbor's third child seemed to think. The doula was called, who quickly procured two midwives, the first of whom just arrived. Just to add one more note of hysteria to the moment, as I ran out to help shovel out two parking spots for the midwives, I discovered that both my snow shovels, which had been standing next to our front door, had been purloined overnight! Other neighbors quickly chipped in and the job got done, but sheesh! Nothing left to do now but pray and play (with the neighbors' other two kids) ...

Posted by: crcurrie | February 10, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

pmknp, you said,
"I saw a cardinal, on Saturday. Walking around on the snow, right outside my kitchen's sliding glass doors."

was he roman catholic....? or orthodox...?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 10, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Accuweather.com has 7.8 inches of snow for DCA in its Past Month records for yesterday and today. That bring DCA to 53 inches on the year. It would be amazing for DCA to record three stroms over a foot in the same winter. Only 4 inches to go. I am reporting 7 or 8 inches here in upper NW DC.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 10, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

@pmknp - There's an evergreen tree of some sort right outside my kitchen window. On Saturday, I saw a LOT of birds feeding there including at least one cardinal, right in the middle of the snowfall. Seeing some birds congregate there already this morning.

Posted by: jadmirel | February 10, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

6.5" in Silver Spring

Posted by: gjjg4dgd | February 10, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

In Leesburg, winds continue with high gusts and the snow is falling as heavily as ever - maybe the heaviest rate yet. Conditions continue to amaze!

Posted by: TerpInTime | February 10, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm eagerly awaiting the next DCA update on accumulation. I think we may get to #1 winter today at this rate.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Low Visibility AGAIN in Reston...if this continues 2 or 3 more times...we're going to have more snow than I thought.

Posted by: parksndc | February 10, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

One consolation - its not as bad as the top of Mt. Hood, Oregon!

Posted by: SusanMarie2 | February 10, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, In Mount Rainier, MD it is blizzard conditions outside..Visiability maybe 40 yards? Had to help a stuck limousine service van that was picking up doctors for a local hospital get unstuck...Just hope everyone stays off the roads and all personnel that has to work at the local hospitals in the area are ok...This is crazy weather and visability is not good..Glad to know my boy was able to make it to work at PG Hospital. BE SAFE!!!

Posted by: MTRainier_Resident | February 10, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

After the December storm I bought a new pair of heavy duty snow boots, after finding too late my old pair had become a pile of cracked, decaying rubber.

At the time I was thinking it'll probably be years before needing the boots again. Wow, that was a busted prediction, but at least I've been prepared for the later storms.

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

As of 7AM, DCA actually had 5.1 inches vs 4 @ IAD.

SOOOOO, as of 7AM, for the season, DCA has 50.2 inches - the 2nd most ever recorded in Washington, and the most ever recorded at that location.

IIRC, the Washington all time record is 54.4" set way back in 1899. Only 4.3 inches to go for this to be the snowiest winter in recorded history of Washington DC!

Posted by: SJ43560 | February 10, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

CWG, don't want to add to your work load, but if you get news about DCA topping 54.4 for the winter (and thereby breaking the all-time record), can you post.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

but seriously, folks, speaking of birds...they are having some kind of meeting on our front porch. guess it's a relatively sheltered place. usually we don't feed the birds (our cat LOVES it when we do....but my wife calls it bait...), but this time she did put out food for them. it keeps getting covered.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 10, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

For your amusement, I redid lyrics to the song "Reuters" by the group Wire, which I've been singing to myself since last Saturday. You can find the original lyrics and song on the web (and the excellent cover version by the group Scrawl).

"Our own weather blogger is sorry to tell
Of a very snowy time when all is not well

The District's at a standstill
In suburbs there's some plowing
Food's run low, snow has doubled

Snow shovels have vanished at all hardware stores
Two feet of fresh snow, they're saying there's more
Isolation sets in, nobody can drive
With current conditions, nobody can thrive

This is your correspondent, running out of steam
Snowfall's increasing, blizzard, white-out, wind"

Posted by: Murre | February 10, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I remember trash pickup. That would be nice right now....
Centreville VA has moderate snow at 23 degrees. Snow measurement between 5 - 5.5 inches. The sky has brightened up a lot in the last 30 minutes.
Having gone thru all of this, I just hope that DCA gets enough to pop the AT record.
Day #5 in the bunker....the juice is still on & I'm layering up for a snow removal session.
To the poster from Eldersburg - Never surrender!

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 10, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Alexandria section of Fairfax County (22310): pouring snow again.

Posted by: InVA1 | February 10, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Geez, looking at radar, the end of the snow is so close I feel like I can touch it. But, it won't budge.

GET OUT OF HERE ALREADY!!!!! YOU'VE WORN OUT YOUR WELCOME!

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 10, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Steve, same thing happened to me. I now have a serious amount of duct tape hopefully holding them together until the end of this storm. They made it through this weekend in decent shape so I'm hopeful.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

On top of Mt. Hood, the visibility can be 1 ft!

Posted by: SusanMarie2 | February 10, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

To gjjg4dgd: "Why would anyone miss living in Virginia?" Well.... out here in SoCal our seasons are fire, earthquake, and mudslide. Wanna trade?

Posted by: socalgirl | February 10, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Walter's point about the birds are important, even after this storm ends. Their food sources are kaput until this snowpack melts down.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

In the last few minutes, the winds have really picked up here in Frederick. Visibility is really bad--I can barely see buildings across the street when the wind's really going.

Posted by: dettiot | February 10, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Since a good many of us may lose power and have gas fireplaces, I thought I would post this:

It's how to light your gas fireplace w/o electricity. It might be a good idea to see how your fireplace is set up while you have the light to do it.

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 10, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

So who were the people saying this storm would be a "bust?" I can't seem to find them now.

Posted by: gjjg4dgd | February 10, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

@socalgirl

Still sounds better than living in the hellhole known as the commonwealth....

Posted by: gjjg4dgd | February 10, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Here in Mt. Vernon area winds keep shifting from N to S, S to N, and back again. Snow continues to pour down, across, around...

This is nuts!

Posted by: mcaicedo | February 10, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

WOW!! Currently moderate to heavy snow here in Camp Springs, MD. Wind gusts creating near white-out conditions. Can't tell how much snow we've received, but appears that we are currently getting a 1-2 inch per hour rate. These are conditions I witnessed on some occasions in Minnesota and North Dakota. Haven't seen anything like this in this area. Amazing.

Posted by: johnnierat | February 10, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Wind gusts around 20 MPH in NE Montgomery (my wind gusts are always low because of my weather station's location).

The wind is definitely kicking up. I gave up snow removal because it was pointless in these conditions

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 10, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Anyone have thoughts on what commuting might be like tomorrow?

Posted by: runnergirl03 | February 10, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Here in Alexandria, the animal tracks on the previous layer of snow have been covered by the new snow. No birds in sight. Snow is relatively light, but those winds - whew.

Posted by: DCinVA | February 10, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Hey guys,

Just took the pooch on a 2+ hour walk from Logan to Meridian Hill to Dupont and back.

During that time, and especially at the top of M. H. Park, the combination of the wind and snow completely disoriented me (healthy fit 30 year old). You cannot even see the homes on the side of Meridian Hill Park when standing about 100 feet from them.

At one point the wind and snow were so strong I couldn't see and found myself in the middle of U Street.

We'll likely never see conditions like this again - at least not in a long time.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 10, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

That's it -- I'm tired of the weather here in Tysons Corner. I pull up CWG blog and facebook about every 10 minutes out of boredom!

I've attempted to read books on work-related topics, watch movies, cook and sleep, though I'm not making much progress for some reason. Looking back on this week, I'm really annoyed I didn't book the first flight out of here to somewhere in the tropics. Free annual leave...though I'm guessing it wouldn't really apply if on vacation.

Posted by: lnoz | February 10, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Day 5... still trapped in the commonwealth.

I'm on the 5th floor of an apartment in Pentagon City looking north over Virginia Highlands park towards the mall. The trees are shaking and the visibility is alternating between extremely limited and very limited.

Once in a while we're seeing a bird or two fly by (confused?). I wonder what the squirrels are doing?

Posted by: saiti34 | February 10, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Pepco has suspended repair work. Folks who lose power will be without for a while with these winds.

Again, life-threatening is not an understatement with this storm.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 10, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Had about a half hour of 1/16 S+ downtown. Merely down to 1/4 now.

On another topic, the next storm system is now worth noting. The vigorous upper low tracks very close to this one (06Z GFS). It looks like there will be plenty of cold air around.

Posted by: pmichaels1 | February 10, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of birds, what are the squirrels doing? Do they semi-hibernate or something? I haven't seen any since the big snow.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 10, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

@CWG -

Temperatures are much lower than forecast (by anoyone). Now in the low 20's downtown, would that put our ratio to 20:1. Was this factored into your accumulation map, since it seems to be a new development.

Thanks

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 10, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Looks to me like DCA is about 2" away from the record, they've reported at least 2" since 7 in their raw observations.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

runnergirl, commuting tomorrow should probably be avoided if possible. Blowing and drifting snow will still be a problem, especially with the large snowbanks on the sides of the interstates already, they'll likely create large drifts in the driveable lanes.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

as for the commute tomorrow, I am no expert but just don't see how it will be better than Tuesday before this latest round. One would think no metro above ground and limited or no bus services. It is pretty crazy here in South Arlington.

Posted by: VAresident2 | February 10, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

CWG, is the back end of this storm going to reach the Beltway before the wrap-around occurs?

Posted by: AlexBike | February 10, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Socalgirl, in a word? YES.

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 10, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

This is a story of a snow-a-cane...

Posted by: parksndc | February 10, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

fleeciewool said February 9, 2010 4:16 PM :

Okay, I'm still saying bust (i.e., under 4" in the District). So I'm casting my lot with Ivan and the other doubters. But if I'm wrong, I'll post an apology on this board, and apologize in writing to the Gang with my real name, address, and handle.

Posted by: gjjg4dgd | February 10, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Brian. Sounds like it might be another day off for the feds. I think we're all just ready for the snow to stop so that those without power and those trapped in their homes can get out. I'm one of the snow lovers, but even I'm ready for it to be gone.

Posted by: runnergirl03 | February 10, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

From the last precip loops, looks like the precip is turning counter clockwise. If this is the case, then the precip should continue and begin shifting southwest from the northeast.

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 10, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

@300_sq_ft

Despite not having been there since Friday morning, home is near Meridian Hill park. The conditions you're describing there are amazing!

Is anything open around 16th and U? I wonder if the Starbucks or the Subway is open.

Posted by: saiti34 | February 10, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

CWG: Saw on Weather Channel late last night that the pattern is changing in that storms will be entering in OR as opposed to SoCal. Said jetstream is lifting north out there. Please tell me that this will change our pattern as well.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 10, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

It was Kurt Warner.

==

pmknp, you said,

was he roman catholic....? or orthodox...?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 10, 2010 10:16 AM

Posted by: mensan98th | February 10, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

have noticed a definite pick-up in wind speed (as if not impressive enough already) in Clarendon

Posted by: novajeffc | February 10, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

P.S. @ccurrie-about the neighbor's baby-what the EFF is a "doula"? Is that the equivalent of a modern day witch doctor or something? No doubt an aspect of "empowering" women, right? Sheesh! Is a regular ob/gyn somehow not good enough, particularly if there are birth complications? What the eff will the "doula" and "midwives" do in that instance, huh?

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 10, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Still coming down pretty hard in South Adams morgan

Still think the Feds can open tomorrow

Posted by: Bious | February 10, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

My flight out of DCA tomorrow morning has already been canceled.

Posted by: AlexBike | February 10, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

@kposty - I, too, remember the blizzard of '75 in Minnesota. I was student at St. John's U. in Collegeville. We were clobbered big time, as I recall, with practically 0 visibility and horizontal snow. The air temp was EXTREME cold. One of the few times when classes were cancelled for several days.

Posted by: johnnierat | February 10, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

manitoba mauler; two fingers old grandad topped off with day old black coffee- works wonders on -25 mornings! Lookout for those clippers, they usually come in series and a little colder behind each one.

Posted by: dvorak9 | February 10, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

what are the odds that the u. of maryland will close their campus again tomorrow?

Posted by: spankyman111 | February 10, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Large, very large, chunks of snow being blown off of our roof (I don't think anyone is up there sweeping it off). I don't know how to measure what the new snow accumulation is, but does it really matter at this point ?

Posted by: letitsnow | February 10, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Quit whining, ThinkSpring et al...my parents and grandparents made it through the great Armistice Day Blizzard of 1940...that storm was even WORSE than this because temperatures plunged from 60 degrees to subzero in 24 to 36 hours over the Upper Midwest. [For the record, my dad was from Jamestown, ND...grew up not far from Peggy Lee's neighborhood; Mom grew up in Chippewa County, WI]

Even so, this is one of the more impressive storms I've seen either in Wisconsin or around here. Not sure how long this keeps up...it seems to be clearing to our west and patches of lighter sky are showing through the blowing snow. The winds could hang on, but the snow should taper off later today.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | February 10, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

My flight out of DCA departing Friday morning was canceled last night as well.

Posted by: hhsten | February 10, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

ThinkSpring, the GFS maintains a strong trough over us for almost the entire next two weeks. Looks cold with more embedded storms.

Posted by: pmichaels1 | February 10, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

mhammel22 said February 9, 2010 1:28 PM:

Sorry weatherpeople, I think you still have snowmageddon on the brain. This storm only looks like a few inches...

Posted by: gjjg4dgd | February 10, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

IvantheTerrible said February 9, 2010 1:30 PM:

It seems like a couple of the meteorologist are drastically scaling back their snow total predictions. Personally, I think this is going to be a bust. I think we may get 2 -3 inches of snow in the DC metro area but nothing more.

Posted by: gjjg4dgd | February 10, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Have to agree with SoCalgirl, as much as these snowsorms have concerned me, fire is the most unnerving natural disaster I have ever faced personally (lived in the Southwest for several years). You never know when it is going to turn with the wind, and if you are impacted, you lose everything - there is no "minor damage" from a forest fire. And we had one in the middle of the city where I lived, it wasn't like I lived in the mountains.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | February 10, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

MAYFREE34 said February 9, 2010 1:31 PM:

i agree, they are now calling it a "wind storm", my guess, very little snow, if any

Posted by: gjjg4dgd | February 10, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

@celestun100

We walked around Pentagon City yesterday and tossed peanuts to squirrels. One big squirrel family was living inside a large tree, but I have a hard time imagining how squirrels without such solid lodging could weather conditions like this.

Posted by: saiti34 | February 10, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

rocotten said February 9, 2010 1:33 PM

With the majority of the snow already above our latitude, I agree that it looks like a big bust coming...I'm dissapointed.

Posted by: gjjg4dgd | February 10, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

We get it, gjjg4dgd.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | February 10, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, this is a "bust" allright.

Posted by: letitsnow | February 10, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I went out a few minutes ago to walk the dog and was immediately hit by a blast of cold, snowy air. It's brutal out there--much worse than being out during Snowmageddon.

Posted by: acoberst1 | February 10, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I knew it would happen. The pile in the front of my house is finally high enough to exceed the invisible fence field. One of my dogs regularly tests the field, and this morning when I was next door talking to a neighbor I realized this dog was sitting up at the top of the snow pile - way outside the bounds of our yard. My other older dogs didn't like this one bit and were barking to alert me. :) I guess I'll have to add the invisible fence line to my list of shoveling chores.

Posted by: angua1 | February 10, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

@saiti34

Hey - you picked a good (or bad depending how you look at it) day to be gone.

So you know the large homes I'm talking about on the 15th street side of the Park? Completely invisible when standing in the middle of the park up to (where the band stand is). It's nuts.

Walked by the Starbucks on the way to Dupont - they are open. Subway, not sure. I was there early though, so even if they were going to open, it's too early in the day.

I'll tell you this though. When standing at 16 and U you can't see 15th or 17th. It's awesome out there!

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 10, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Just went outside to take out the garbage. Just because there's more snow on the ground doesn't mean the ground ain't slippery, folks. I found out the hard way (although the new snow definitely helped cushion my fall. The only thing injured was my pride).

Hard to tell how much snow has fallen here near Fort Myer. Some places it feels like 5 inches and other it feels like 9-10 inches.

Wind had died down while I was outside, but now I can barely see 50 feet out my window.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 10, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

steve (CWG),
i got new boot for christmas. they're about 7" to the top. naturally, we all thought that would be plenty tall.... happily, that hasn't been the case

steve, and/or other experts:
so, how do they take snow measurements in windy conditions like this?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 10, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I've had on average 8-12 birds congregating on my covered patio all morning/afternoon yesterday and today-- once I walked to Wal Mart and picked up a nice big bag of bird seed.

A few minutes ago a squirrel took over the fort, and the birds gathered on the ledge-- almost in pure defiance!! One cardinal (non religious variety) has been particularly fiesty and hungry, and is currently starting down the squirrel.

w/r/t winds and such-- Dad lives in Ashburn and drove to Leesburg to go to work. Nearly got there when the winds picked up and he couldn't see more than a good 10 feet or so. He called a day and headed back to work from home.

Given that the grew up in Gary, IN- this speaks volumes for the storm.

Be safe all. :-)

Posted by: aquarnnr | February 10, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Here's a great 24-hour radar for anyone wondering what happened last night: http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/current/usradar.html

20.3 degrees and falling, pressure of 29.42" and steady after a sharp drop this morning. Light snow attm? I can't tell with the strong gusts, nor am I willing to go outside to measure :).

Posted by: Sterlingva | February 10, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Steve, I bought a pair of heavy duty snow boots in November, because they were on sale. I figured they wouldn't get much use living here- wrong! I've been so glad to have them.

Fortified with a good breakfast of blueberry pancakes and fresh squeezed orange juice (hey- I had the time!) I was planning a bit of a walk, but after reading some of the comments here, I've decided against a real walk. I am just going to go up the street a short bit.

I saw a blurb on channel 9 about how one can get stuck in a snowdrift and would need to roll to get out of it. The last thing I need is to get disoriented, stuck in a snow drift, and wind up rolling around aimlessly in the blizzard.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 10, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

gjjg4dgd - To quote last week's episode of The Office - "Suck it!" Move to Siberia if you'd like even more snow than we currently have. Second in the US isn't enough to satisfy you? (Probably first by now with the additional snow.)

Posted by: nocando | February 10, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Some idiot has let their dog out in the backyard for about an hour and the poor thing is barking it's head off. Grrr.

Anyone know if the Metro will run above ground tomorrow? I really want to get out of the apartment!

Posted by: heatherfeather1 | February 10, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

who wrote that awful dumb forcast ? some idiot weather weenie from EUSX??? at Midnight the dry slot has Punch its way into DC..

the snow has stopped. This was NOT suppose to happen

the new NAM has all the snow east of DCA by 11am wed...

DT WXRISK.COM

Posted by: wxrisk | February 10, 2010 12:55 AM

Posted by: stuckman | February 10, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Storm totals as of 10:30 AM .65" (Precipitation) with wind gusts of 31 MPH. Kingstowne, VA

Posted by: OverTheRiver | February 10, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

@shortguy

weather ≠ climate

Posted by: h0db | February 10, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

gjjg4dgd, unlike SouthsideFFX, I appreciate you calling out the premature bust posters from before the storm even started yesterday. They do it every storm.

Posted by: markinva2 | February 10, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

@h0db

Excellent description!

Posted by: krosseel | February 10, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

@ccurrie - Please let us know how things go with your neighbor! It's a good thing this isn't a first baby, or everybody would be completely freaking out. Glad the pros were able to get there. Assuming all goes well, this will be a great story.

@arrabbiato - Please don't be a jerk. Midwives are certified nurses with specialized training in childbirth, including in dealing with childbirth complications. They have medical equipment (such as oxygen) and know how to use it if something goes wrong.

A doula is an experienced birth attendant -- a support person who can help coach you through contractions, bring you hot towels, make sure you're eating and drinking, remind you to breathe, give you backrubs, etc.

Your dismissiveness is pretty offensive.

Posted by: meganf | February 10, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Thank you h0db! Getting tired of the global warming comments and even more tired of people trying to dispute or prove it based on local weather.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 10, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Lusby is getting pummeled!!! Help!

Posted by: joann20657 | February 10, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

@300_sq_ft

Amazing! Although conditions here in Arlington aren't much better. Those Starbucks workers are dedicated.

Posted by: saiti34 | February 10, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of birds -
Most birds are capable of surviving the winter. They adapt to the different conditions which affects their food source. Summer is more insects and winter is more seeds and berries. Having said that, a lot of their food sources are covered right now and a feeder is an oasis for these animals. My feeders are as busy as I have ever seen them. I have suet, peanuts, thistle and black oil sunflower seed. At any given moment there are 20+ individuals at the feeders consisting of 15 to 20 species. My cat is going bonkers!

Posted by: pjdunn1 | February 10, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Have seen quite a few squirrels scurrying over snow-covered branches in the woods behind my house in the last few days . . . keep wondering if their little feet are cold!

Posted by: InVA1 | February 10, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

@nocando

dc first in the nation for snow? hahahahaha. ok buddy go up to northern michigan - well over 100 inches after January.

Posted by: pzkpfw | February 10, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

On latest radar, snow over DC and just South is showing signs of lessening up a bit.

Posted by: Andrew-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@gjjg4dgd

all the people you quoted, Ivan, Fleecie etc, have posted retractions on their bust claim. Why are you still harping on it. And if you are gonna knock people for not retracting, you may want to use a search feature and make sure they haven't, otherwise you look like a bit of an idiot - imo

Posted by: craig19 | February 10, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I am supposed to get a train out of here to NYC on Friday morning. Think I will make it?

Posted by: JenP2001 | February 10, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@saiti34

I'm not sure if "dedicated" is the word...maybe "whipped by their corporate overlords" is more likely...

Posted by: stuckman | February 10, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I've seen wabbit twacks near my apartment building.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 10, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Meteorologically -- ow, my tongue! easy for you to say --

What was that line of heavy snow that moved from west to east, like a North Pole radar sweep, earlier this morning?

Also, what is an "upper level disturbance"? Is that what's moving southeast through Virginia right now? Does that mean the low in the ocean is a "lower level disturbance"?

Posted by: Groff | February 10, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Looking at NWS radar it looks like an eye has formed over Columbia Maryland. This is looking like a Winter Hurricane!

Posted by: ChillAboutMilitaryHummers | February 10, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Patting myself on the back for about the umpteenth time for having left my car in my office's underground parking lot last Friday.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 10, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

arrabbiato - a doula is "a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth"

Your statement was very close-minded, especially considering that the mother may not have made it to the hospital to give birth. If you ever feel up to researching it, you will find that midwives and homebirths have a better track record than hospitals in low-risk pregnancies, and they are trained to know when something is wrong and when transport to the hospital is necessary.

Now, back to the snow!

Posted by: KelsiN | February 10, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Why is the back end of the precip shield in VA not moving NE and getting out of the area?...it keeps hanging S and W of us, down around Culpeper. The low offshore is developing and moving NE...and the upper-level impulse has already come through now....yet the precip bands go on. What is delaying the end of the snow in VA?

Posted by: MMCarhelp | February 10, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"Have to agree with SoCalgirl, as much as these snowsorms have concerned me, fire is the most unnerving natural disaster I have ever faced personally (lived in the Southwest for several years). You never know when it is going to turn with the wind, and if you are impacted, you lose everything - there is no "minor damage" from a forest fire"

Concur. I lived in CO from May 2002 - April 2006. Far too many in CO learned this the hard way from the Deckers fire (national news story) and others in 2002. The sky was dark gray and black at 4 pm in Aurora, over 50 miles away, during the Deckers fire. One 40 mph wind gust is all it takes to turn a generic forest fire into an outright uncontrollable inferno. At least with the CO Blizzard of 2003 if you stayed indoors the worst that could have happened is a tree branch hit your window. You can control a decent amount of the aftermath. Not with a fire. Hell, I drove through the fire area in 2008, and six years later the forest was barely coming back to any life.

Posted by: JefffromHuntington | February 10, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Old Town Alexandria update:
I've posted a few more photos to the slideshow. We have very strong winds here in Alexandria at the moment. I would say that we've picked up 2 ro 3 more inches this morning which adds to our 2" we had last night before the sleet/freezing rain kicked in. The new photos can be found in the slideshow here (the daylight ones).

Posted by: joelhousman | February 10, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I have a squirrel on my back deck at this very moment, hunkered down under my deck table, happily munching away on the corn/nuts/seed mix I threw out there a little while ago. His fur is all frosted!

Posted by: alc_in_NoVa | February 10, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

NEW POST

Posted by: BrentwoodGuy | February 10, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

The temperature at National Airport has fallen 8 degrees in the past four hours as the NW winds transport colder air on the back side of the storm.

Posted by: Andrew-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Scratch that, make it 9 degrees in about 4 hours.

Despite what appears to be light snow in western PW county, radar continues to verify the steady moderate snow falling in Lake Ridge (north central/eastern PW county).

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 10, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

"The only other stronger winds that I've experienced-- minus during hurricanes-- were in Patagonia. 75-80 mile hour suckers pelting gravel at us as we ran. That was about as much fun as this...though I can stay put here and not run in it. :-)"

Same here, except I was hiking Mount Washington, NH last Memorial Day. And at least it was otherwise sunny. But 75 mph winds up there happens 100 days a year so it's "normal."

Off to attempt to shovel a bit.

Posted by: JefffromHuntington | February 10, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang,

I grew up in Ft Washington and was there for that storm...based on what I have seen this morning, I'd call it a definite draw.

Ian-CapitalWeatherGang

Thanks for the update on the coming weekend possibility. Have any good news?

Posted by: amaranthpa | February 10, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

About 8" in Parkfairfax (Alexandria), the winds are literally howling (above 25 kts), and I just attempted to shovel off my front walk. That, friends, was an exercise in futility.

Posted by: truyle | February 10, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Hey fems-go blow it out the other end! I don't give a DAMN about "doulas" (what a dumb-a ss feminist term) and midwives-who think they know a hell of a lot more than they do! But if it works to help your low self-esteem to think how "empowering" it is to have "doulas" in the childbirth process then by all means, go for it-but don't presume to think it can replace medical doctors trained to deal with serious birth problems-that's where you go off into cuckooland, which methinks some of you fierce feministas/low self esteemers reside already!

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 10, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Andrew.....make sure you are not calling things prematurely. The area of moderate snow over Fairfax and Loudoun counties does not seem to be shifting at all, despite what is happening over PW and Fauquier counties further SW.. However, for obvious reasons, I sure hope you're right.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | February 10, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Craig19 is a "Doula"

Posted by: gjjg4dgd | February 10, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Here in Cleveland Park NW DC it's been snowing buckets for hours and is windy as hell. Flakes aren't huge, but they're falling fast and basically horizontally. Looking out the window looks like looking at the stream out of a snowblower. Between the new snow, and the preexisting snow that's going to get blown onto the ground from higher surfaces, it wouldn't shock me if ground accumulations wound up 10" higher than what they were Tuesday morning.

My wife and I are both federal employees and have a running bet about whether fed gov't will be closed. She says no and I say yes. So far I owe her a lot of money & am starting to think she's gonna be right through Friday. Even if it stops snowing, plowing efforts & metro & everything else people need to commute really can't kick up in earnest for a while. Probably better to just keep people home for a while so cleanup crews can get out there with minimal distraction once it's safe.

Posted by: eliwho | February 10, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

20 degrees now and dropping in Annandale. Still snowing moderate to heavy. But the winds have subsided momentarily. At least 8 inches but who can really tell? Went to let out neighbors dog two houses down a while ago and since we were never plowed from the last storm, it was quite the hike.

Posted by: amaranthpa | February 10, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Snowing steadily in Gainesville, with light winds. There have been some healthy gusts now and then, but visibility is still good. Everything that had been shoveled out is, predictably, covered again. No way of knowing how much has actually accumulated from last night and how much has blown around, though. I'd guess we have a good few inches of new accumulation since the start of the storm yesterday.

I'm just hoping our cedars in the backyard survive. We already lost a couple in the weekend storm, one of which landed on a dogwood. Our magnolia and English holly also suffered major damage from the weight of the snow cracking the limbs, particularly in the tops of those trees.

Posted by: jaradel | February 10, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Oh, one other thing - the DC Webcam on the Weather Wall appears to be non-functioning, or at least not updating. Not that I'd expect to see anything, but the current picture - a sunny, summer day - is a bit disconcerting. ;)

Posted by: jaradel | February 10, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

@MMCarhelp

noticed the same thing, the back edge has been parked at the Fauquier/Culpeper line for hours, very sad to see it get stuck like that

Posted by: tgt111 | February 10, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Er, my wife thinks gov't will be closed and I say it'll be open. Freudian slip!

Posted by: eliwho | February 10, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Wow. 11:14 post by arrabbiato is incredibly offensive and must be removed!

Posted by: DaveB2 | February 10, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Strong winds in Manassas now, a mixture of falling and blowing snow, lower visibility.

Posted by: jadmirel | February 10, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Canaan Valley, WV still blows away our area even with all the snow we've had this winter. Whitegrass XC ski area has already measured 168 inches this year. Their yearly average out there is about 150 inches, and only a 5 hour drive west of DC. Continental Divide and lake effect snows make a huge difference.

Posted by: FH59312 | February 10, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Agree on post by arabbiato - it's highly offensive.

For the record, my wife and I used midwives for all 4 of our births and neither of us is a feminista - whatever that even means. There is no reason to use a medical doctor for a low-risk birth.
As for the hardy midwives in question this morning, I salute their dedication. The USPS may not be delivering, but they are!

Posted by: bodypolitic1 | February 10, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Bombo - Thanks for stalking my posts. I'm flattered. And I suppose your parents walked to/from school uphill, both ways?

Please, spare me the "it's worse" some other time. This is the worst period we will see in our lifetimes. Period.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 10, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

arrabbiato, A doula is an assistant who provides various forms of non-medical and non-midwifery support (physical and emotional) in the childbirth process.

Posted by: EllenBedlington | February 10, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Bombo, but a nose-dive in temperature doesn't compare to this. This really is the worst. We got 28 inches over the weekend and another 26 today, with winds approaching a Category-2 hurricane. Cities like Chicago and Green Bay get maybe 30 inches in an average YEAR. Freakin' MOSCOW gets 18 inches a year -- less than I got today. Even the Baltimore fire chief, when asked how this storm compared to Minnesota (his original home state), said flat out -- "This is a big snowstorm for anywhere".

Posted by: HelloDollyLlama | February 11, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse