The new Washington
Posted at 4:30 PM ET, 03/27/2010

Forecast: Saturday sun & chill; Sunday p.m. rain

By Jason Samenow

* World Meteorological Day | World's Longest Toilet Queue *
* CWG T-Shirts | Temps, clouds, and more: Weather Wall *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

5A step up from yesterday, but sunshine will be deceivingly cool.

Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly sunny, but cool. Near 50. | Tonight: Partly cloudy. 29-36. | Tomorrow: Becoming cloudy, p.m. rain likely. Mid-50s. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

For three straight weeks, temperatures had been above average. But thanks to a late season batch of Arctic air that sank south yesterday, the warm spell abruptly ended. We'll feel that cold air mass today with temperatures 10 degrees below average. It will be slightly milder tomorrow, but rain will return later in the day. Suffice to say, conditions will be a far cry from last weekend's blissful 70+ degrees.

Temperatures: Latest D.C. area temperature map powered by iMap (base map by Google). Click and hold on map to pan. Double-click to zoom. Refresh page to update. See larger map on our Weather Wall.

Today (Saturday): Most spots will begin the day at or below freezing, (with the possible exception of downtown) so the morning may present one last chance to wear the winter coat. We will have lots of sunshine (though some high clouds may come in late) but the strength of the cold air mass overhead will probably prevent most spots from getting much above 50 for afternoon highs. A light breeze from the east at around 10 mph will make it feel a little cooler a times -- especially in the shade. Confidence: High

Tonight: It will be a partly cloudy and cool night, but not as cold as last night. Lows will range from near 30 in the colder suburbs to the mid-to-upper 30s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through early next week...

Tomorrow (Sunday): Clouds increase in the morning as low pressure approaches from the west. Rain could break out in the afternoon (60% chance), especially after 2 p.m. Highs will be in the mid-50s. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: Rain is likely in the evening (70% chance) and will continue overnight (90% chance). By morning, 0.5-1" of rain will probably have fallen from this storm. Lows will range from 45-50. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Some rain may linger into the morning rush on Monday, but it should be mostly over by mid-to-late morning. Though the rain may cutoff, it will probably remain mostly cloudy in the afternoon as low pressure will be slow to move off to the northeast. Highs should be in the mid-to-upper 50s. Confidence: Medium

Sunshine returns Tuesday along with milder temperatures. We should head back up to 60. Even warmer air will build into the region mid-to-late week. Stay tuned for further details. Confidence: Medium-High

By Jason Samenow  | March 27, 2010; 4:30 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Freezing cold tonight, cool weekend
Next: Forecast: Rain moving in, heavy at times tonight

Comments

Between all the nnow and rain so far this year, we must be running well above normal with precipitation levels. Is there a website which shows the deviations?

Posted by: david_in_stafford | March 27, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Typo....snow.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | March 27, 2010 6:36 AM | Report abuse

Brrr chilly but at least the Kite Flyers will have sunny skies and some wind.

Looks like peak start for the blooms will have great weather.

Is anyone else dying to get down there next week? Something about those cherry trees!

Posted by: jaybird926 | March 27, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

David,
You're not going to believe this, but I woke up, got my coffee and was wondering the same question about precipitation. I fully intended on asking that this morning when I saw you did for me!
In my back acreage it is soggy where a creek bed nearby overflows underground. When the water table is high, I can always tell by walking back there and do my own water table test. But I would be interested to know how above normal we are as far as precip goes.

Posted by: worldtraveler83 | March 27, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Looks like DCA only got down to 33... so unless tonight exceeds expectations, then the first March w/o freezing temps since the 40s...

Low out in the mtns between Fauquier and Warren Counties last night was 22.3F... Currently 27.9 and sunny... with wildflowers blooming...

Posted by: spgass1 | March 27, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

This gives precipitation figures since January 1.

Posted by: dottie_b | March 27, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

@jaybird926: Yes, I can't wait to see the trees next weekend! I want to get down to the Tidal Basin, but I also want to take my boat up the Washington Channel to see them on Hains Point.

Posted by: --sg | March 27, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Worldtraveler83, that is a pretty neat coincidence! My backyard is pretty saturated as well. After tomorrow and Monday's rain, we will definitely need an extended dry period.

Dottie_b, thanks for the link. I believe it shows DCA is below normal up to this point. Am I reading it correctly?

Posted by: david_in_stafford | March 27, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

HPC showing up to 2.5" of precip for our area from the Sunday-Monday storm. YIKES!!

Posted by: david_in_stafford | March 27, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Thanks dottie_b,
I just erased DCA for IAD and got my local info. What I don't understand is with all the precipitation we have received since Jan. 1 in the forms of snow and rain, why are we "under" normal? I feel like I'm missing something..would someone enlighten me please?

Posted by: worldtraveler83 | March 27, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

This morning's lows: DCA 33, IAD and BWI 30

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 27, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe we're below normal precip. either...with all this snow & rain...none of that expected 2.5 inches is "much-needed".

Posted by: Bombo47jea | March 27, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

As of today, DCA is 2.11" inches below normal on YTD precip. Re: this a.m.'s low of 33 degrees, it really is the Salton Sea of meteorology down there along the Potomac.

I wonder if Washington has ever had an white Easter?

-- Snow diehard!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | March 27, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it seems like a lot of precipitation this year because it's twice as much as we had by this time last year!

Posted by: dottie_b | March 27, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I found this website:
and it does show we're above the norm even before the upcoming rains. You can view precip levels over several months. It's a pretty cool site.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | March 27, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

CWG--I saw the forecast of 60% chance of rain, especially after 2PM for Sunday. Had originally planned for about a 3 hour bike ride starting at 1:30pm. How likely is rain before 4:30PM in upper Montgomery and Howard counties on Sunday. I'm a wimp when it comes to riding a bike in the rain.

Posted by: SnowLoverOlneyMD | March 27, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Weather looks interesting from late tomorrow through Tuesday per Sterling...first Sunday night rain near flash-flood criteria followed by some chance of thunder Monday afternoon, and possible rain into Tuesday.

One question...could possible wind be hard on cherry blossoms...it's early in the blooming period.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | March 27, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

@SnowLoverOlneyMD

Looking at the latest information, I'd say those areas (and pretty much most of the metro area except far west) should be mostly dry through around 3 p.m. or so. You'll run the risk of showers pretty much anytime after that point. However, any showers before around 6 p.m. should be scattered and on the light side, before the chance of more steady and heavier showers begins to increase. -Dan, CWG

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | March 27, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm only five miles NE of IAD, and I managed to hit 28(F) yesterday. Yay for me! Lol.

@JerryFloyd1, I am not sure about Washington, D.C., but Southern VA has in fact had white Easters before.

Right now it's 38.7(F) in Reston, VA, but it feels like 38.4(F) (Which I doubt is even a humanly noticeable difference). The Dewpoint tonight is MUCH higher than last night, at 33.1(F). Last night it was around 14(F). The Barometer is steady at 30.35 in, and I am currently at 2.73 in. of total rainfall for the month of March 2010 so far. I had a gust of wind out of the SSW at around Midnight, but it's been relatively calm since. The RH is 80%, which confirms what my Mom was saying earlier about it feeling really damp outside. She's a great human weather station btw, ;-)

Posted by: TheAnalyst | March 28, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse