The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 4:50 PM ET, 03/14/2010

Forecast: Gray & damp, improvement by Tuesday

By Camden Walker

Remain vigilant: watch for localized flooding

* Flood Warnings for rivers across the area | River flood update *
* Coastal Flood Warning for Tidal Potomac & Chesapeake Bay *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

3Overcast with 50s and some showers. Blah.

Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Overcast with a 60% chance of showers. Low 50s. | Tonight: Mostly cloudy, breezy. Some drizzle. Low 40s. | Tomorrow: Cloudy & breezy. Slight chance of showers. Low 50s. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Rivers are on the rise today while some showers, breezes, and overcast skies persist. Even tomorrow we'll have a tough time shedding the clouds and dampness. Can you hold out until Tuesday? We'll emerge back into a decent, sunny, streak of weather with temperatures closing in on 60. Oh! Did you turn clocks one-hour ahead last night? Daylight saving time starts today.

Radar: Latest regional radar shows movement of precipitation over past three hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Sunday): Overcast skies close out the weekend with occasional rain showers today (60% chance), highs in the low 50s and slight breezes out of the north. Ugh. Most of today's showers were in the morning and west of the Beltway. But a few scattered showers continued into the afternoon. As far as flooding goes, continue to keep an eye on things because rainwater & snow run-off from upstream will be working its way down into our region's waterways. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Continuing overcast skies keep things dreary. There's a 50/50 chance of showers still tonight, with breezes still persisting around 15 mph out of the north. Lows region-wide should end up in the low 40s by sunrise. Look out for some patchy fog and drizzle. Confidence: Medium

Keep reading for the forecast through Thursday. Trust me you'll like it...

Tomorrow (Monday): Cloudy with a chance of patchy drizzle and showers still -- but diminishing as the day goes on. Maybe a tad breezier than Sunday, with winds from the north around 15 mph. Highs should again be the low 50s. Maybe we'll get a peek of afternoon sun (40% chance). Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: The clouds don't really quit, but should slowly clear from overcast to partly cloudy (by dawn). Lows will be a little cooler, around 40 degrees (some 30s in the cooler suburbs). Make sure to dress in layers if you go out. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Sunshine returns on Tuesday & Wednesday with highs in the upper 50s. South of town could hit 60! Get out and enjoy, as we finally dry out. Confidence: Medium

By the time we reach Thursday & Friday, we'll head up into the 60s. Maybe even upper 60s! Our sunshine will continue with little interruption, if any, as we end our week. Confidence: Medium

By Camden Walker  | March 14, 2010; 4:50 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Minor to moderate flooding with rivers still rising
Next: Forecast: Cloudy, damp for another day

Comments

can't wait till thursday

Posted by: jaw33 | March 14, 2010 6:41 AM | Report abuse

I just wk

Posted by: david_in_stafford | March 14, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for that last post....don't know what happened.

Anyway, I woke up to see it raining hard yet again after last night's heavy rains and thunderstorm. This system must be sitting right over us and going nowhere.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | March 14, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

While the rain now is not helping, the Shenandoah upstream has peaked and should peak here in Front Royal today. Looks like these floods will be lower than January here, but higher on the Potomac thanks to the WV snowmelt. Here's Point of Rocks (21+ versus 25+ predicted)

and Little Falls (11 vs 12.6 predicted)

Posted by: eric654 | March 14, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

eric654 - if I'm reading your info properly, it looks like good news that levels aren't as high as predicted! right? thanks for the data too.

eric654 - i wish I could report this storm was reintegrating into the jet stream, but instead it's cut-off from our normal west-to-east storm progression. ugh. stationary storm means more rain...not good!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | March 14, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Camden, I think the levels are about what they predicted last week (we got more rain Friday and Friday night to make up for what we missed on Saturday) at least here on the Shenandoah. The rain here now won't affect our peak much at all, and probably just slow the drop. But it will impact the Potomac. They will probably get to the predicted levels at Point of Rocks thanks to high feeder streams. That probably means moderate to almost major flood at Harper's Ferry too.

I'd say this was probably a difficult forecast for them because they don't know how fast the snow would melt and the storm got strung out into lots of pulses instead of one nice blob. Our levels here went up, then paused, then went up more.

Posted by: eric654 | March 14, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I drove over the Rappahannock River a while ago. Talk about a raging river, it was about the highest level I have ever seen. We've definitely received a lot of rain from this system since Thursday.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | March 14, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

As bad as the floods are on the Potomac, it looks worse in NE New Jersey. Lots of purple dots at http://www.erh.noaa.gov/marfc/ and we only have one. When clicking on them some are getting within a foot or two of record floods.

Posted by: eric654 | March 14, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

David, looks like the Rappahannock just peaked http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=lwx&gage=RENV2

Posted by: eric654 | March 14, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

thanks to david_in_stafford & eric654 for continued updates on flood stages! David, I bet river road in falmouth is now (easily) closed, right?

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | March 14, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Camden, I would bet River Road is probably closed judging from the amount of water I saw alongside the back roads in Stafford and Spotsylvania Counties when I was out earlier.

I know we received a lot of rain since my sump pump is kicking on every ten minutes or so.

Looking at the radar, it seems most of the rain is moving away and drying up. I hope that trend continues.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | March 14, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

eric654, thanks for that info on the Rappahannock. As I said, it was a "raging river" when I drove over it earlier. In addition to the high levels, the mud and debris in the river were pretty substantial from what I could see.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | March 14, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Current conditions in Burke: 48.4 and drizzling.

If only this were snow...

Posted by: Yellowboy | March 14, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

If this were snow we would be singing a much different tune.

Posted by: grobinette | March 14, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

On the bright side, all this rain is keeping pollen air levels down....I wonder is they will stay that way tomorrow.....

Posted by: Snowlover2 | March 14, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I also imagine white water rafting this spring in W. Virginia will be CRAZY......

Posted by: Snowlover2 | March 14, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Solid 3 inches in my rain gauge as of this morning (s. arlington). The average for all of march is 3.60. We had a very wet december, a somewhat dry and mild Jan, the monster snow Feb, and back to rain in March. El nino definitely overstaying his welcome.

Posted by: jojo2008 | March 14, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

2.46" since late Thursday at my house on Silver Spring/Takoma Park line...

Posted by: steske | March 14, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow, so, 2 spots have around 3" of rain. Impressive that the storm dumped virtually as much as predicted. It's true this would have been a lot of snow and a lot of anxiety if it were colder.

Regarding pollen, it shouldn't be felt again until Tuesday evening or even into Wednesday. I'd predict it staying low through Tuesday morning. My eyes will be happy.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | March 14, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

The Potomac at Point of Rocks is no where near the canal and yet the present stage says the water should be over the tow path and canal.

Posted by: MKadyman | March 14, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

The Monocacy at Route 28 is about five feet below the bridge with a huge amount of debris stuck under the bridge.

The Monocacy at the aqueduct is covering the portals.

Posted by: MKadyman | March 14, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

What's with this constant parade of lows stalling just N and E of us? This is the third major storm in a row that has gotten hung up just off the NJ/NY coastline.....two from blocking patterns, and this one from being cut-off. Fortunately, this time temps were too warm for snow here....otherwise we would have had ANOTHER huge snowstorm.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | March 14, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I took a walk around 4pm through the woods to see how the creek was doing. The whole area is a stream valley under the Fairfax County park system, and it has been leveled by the snowstorms. I barely recognized the landscape. More trees down than I could count. The water was running exceptionally fast. It did occur to me that growing up, my friends and I would have been sorely tempted to put a small boat in - there were some great spots! I can only imagine how furious the 'rents would have been, LOL.

Posted by: bobosnow | March 14, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

This is nowhere near as fun as snow. Annandale has obviously gotten rain but our sump has not been going off all that much. Currently 48 with light winds. I need to invest in a rain gauge so I can acutally provide some meaningful data...any suggestions?

Posted by: amaranthpa | March 14, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

2.21 inches since late Thursday and 47.3 degrees south of Hamilton, VA. Grass is slowly turning greener and the daffodils are up about 2 inches! Pussywillow blooming and witch hazel is gorgeous. Saw first bluebird today...spring has sprung!!

Posted by: worldtraveler83 | March 14, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

3.5 inches in our rain gauge here in New Balmer. But spring is coming. Maples and lilac buds are breaking; daffodil seemed to have recovered from being buried in the snow ....

Posted by: weathergrrl | March 14, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I am very, very grateful for floating docks at Washington Sailing Marina. Potomac is way up, but I'm told it crested this morning (?). Hope so.

Posted by: --sg | March 14, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

next Saturday will be perfect for getting that grass seed on the ground.

Posted by: panthersny | March 15, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse