The new Washington
Posted at 3:00 PM ET, 03/ 6/2010

Forecast: Sunny Saturday and Sunday

By Jason Samenow

* Varying snow predictability | Relish D.C.'s climate | CWG T-Shirts *
* Outside now? Radar, webcam & more: Weather Wall *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

6Finally seasonable sunshine worth savoring!

Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly sunny with a light breeze. 48-53. | Tonight: Clear and cold. 24-32. | Tomorrow: Mostly sunny and mild. 53-58. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

For the first time since January (14-16), we have a chance to put together a string of 50-degree days. In fact, at the least the next four days could hit 50 or better, something we haven't seen since the beginning of December. Accompanying the milder weather will be abundant sunshine and relatively light winds. After a long, cold, windy, and snowy winter, this reprieve is well-deserved...

Webcam: Latest view of D.C. from the Netherlands Carillon at Arlington National Cemetery. Courtesy National Park Service. Refresh page to update. See this image bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Saturday): It won't exactly be balmy, especially this morning, as temperatures start off the day sub-freezing. But most spots should steadily rise through the 40s by mid-afternoon and max out within a couple degrees of 50. That's still below average, but it should still feel on the mild side standing in the sun especially when the winds, averaging around 10-15 mph from the north, relax. Confidence: High

Tonight: Under high pressure, it will be clear and crisp. The colder suburbs will dip into the mid-20s, with lows right around freezing downtown. Confidence: Medium

Keep reading for the forecast through early next week...

Tomorrow (Sunday): This will definitely be the nicer of the weekend days with warmer temperatures and slightly less wind. Highs will head up into the mid-to-upper 50s with a light breeze from the northwest around 10 mph. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: We're looking at another clear and chilly night, with lows in the mid-to-upper 20s in the suburbs to around freezing downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Both Monday and Tuesday will be tranquil and seasonably mild as high pressure sticks around. Highs will be in the mid-to-upper 50s both days under partly to mostly sunny skies. Overnight lows will range from the upper 20s in the colder suburbs to the mid-30s downtown. Confidence: Medium

By Jason Samenow  | March 6, 2010; 3:00 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Making way for a pleasant weekend
Next: Forecast: Work week to start in fine fashion

Comments

Oh my gosh ... first??

Posted by: ChickenLady | March 6, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

I guess first isn't so impressive when there's no snowstorm forecast.

So I was going to ask about a pollen-cast, but I see you've got a link to a good one. Thanks! I guess I'm noticing it already, but oak hasn't hit yet.

Posted by: ChickenLady | March 6, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Finally, global warming! Bring it on! :-)

Posted by: VAINDPENDENT | March 6, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

ChickenLady, it would be busier here if schools were canceled for rain. Then we would have numerous posts about high QPF in the models for Friday. It was 20 here near Front Royal this morning and the mountains are still white. But it's over. See you next year!

Posted by: eric654 | March 6, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Don't give up yet...it has been known to snow in March, sometimes a lot.

Posted by: Murre | March 6, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait to get outside and enjoy this weekend. Even thinkin' about firin' up the grill.

Welcome spring. Goodbye snow. :)

Posted by: ThinkSpring | March 6, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Firing up the grill! - what a great idea. Had not even thought up that yet, but why not.

Posted by: Finn1917 | March 6, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Though today and tomorrow look OK, I'm not sure we're going to get that long a string of sunny, low-wind, 50-60 degree days now. There's a big system currently over the Southwest, and a smaller one over South Dakota. The basic El Nino pattern still hasn't broken down, which means that the Southern system will likely soot across TX, re-develop with Gulf moisture, and Bingo, here we go again. Of course, by then, the bare ground/pavement will be much warmer than in recent weeks, and any snow (assuming it's not cold rain) would be less likely to stick.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | March 6, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Got my CWG shirt yesterday. I hope that is not an omen for no more snow. Maybe there should be a CWG event that we could all go to wearing our shirts!

Posted by: SubRosa2 | March 6, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

MMCarhelp, it should last into the beginning of the week but you're right it does not look "pleasant" for a long stretch. Blocking seems to be breaking down though.. it may just be reloading but we're running low on time in my opinion. The storm this week looks to be primarily rain, perhaps a wet flake to end? I'm already searching for the low track to set up to the west for spring storms!

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 6, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Time to go outside & play in the dirt/mud.
Yay!

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | March 6, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Hope everyone is getting to spend a little time outdoors this afternoon. Took the little one out to the playground for the first time in months today. And to think, today's highs are only near average. Can't wait to feel above-average temps after being on the cool side of normal for so long.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | March 6, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

This cold rain event for Thursday/Friday is a real bummer...though there's some model guidance indicating that by Friday much of the action is north of the Mason-Dixon Line, and we only see a raw, moist and perhaps drizzly day...fifties may even be back as we could be south of the main frontal boundary.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | March 6, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. I hope it doesn't rain all weekend next week... I guess I better enjoy the weather while I can!

Posted by: megamuphen | March 6, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Hard to believe we were being snowmaggedoned just a month ago today. And we won't see fall, the best season of the year, 'til six months from now.

Meantime, the snow summaries, links, recaps etc. being posted by CWG are very worthwhile, educational reading. I hope this material is compiled into a "Washington's Flakiest Winter" book/DVD that includes some radar slo-mos.

Meantime, ou sont les neiges d'antan?

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | March 6, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1 - are you speaking...French?...on the comment board again?!! ;-)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | March 6, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I love cold and snow, but I also love early Spring (ie, March and April). Transitions are always a ton of fun, and after I hit the beach up in the Summer, I'm ready for fall once again lol.

I'm still hoping that we'll get one last "bang" from Jack Frost before Spring becomes more of a constant aspect around here. Afterwards, I hope that we have a long Spring similar to last year (Where it stays cool through mid-July).

Posted by: TheAnalyst | March 6, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

one frowny clouds, three frowny clouds, two frowny clouds...the end of next week in the At-a-Glance is ruined. I hate cold rain. I still hope we have one last leprechaun-generating snow and THEN a long, cool spring like last year.

Posted by: manassasmissy | March 6, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

@Camden, to me "ou sont les neiges d'antan" is more wisftul than "where are the snows of yesteryear" or "Wo ist der Schnee vom vergangenen Jahr?"

It was difficult today walking around town, seeing all piles of dirty snow and thinking that a mere 3-4 weeks ago the landscape sparkled.

Having said that, a rapid snow melt is not what far western Maryland and adjacent areas need right now. The water level in Deep Creek Lake is being drawn because there is so much snow atop the ice (and the surrounding hillsides). We've been lucky in the D.C. area because the snow melted so slowly that there hasn't been any flooding.

Up in Garrett County, there are places that had more than 240" of snow, a lot of which fell in February (I would have loved to have been up there last weekend, but every road was closed).

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | March 6, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

I went everywhere in sandals today.

I see that the tips of branches have this red tinge. Never noticed that before. Guess that's how they look before tiny leaves start forming. yay for spring.

Posted by: RoseVA | March 6, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

AccuWeather's at it again with their sensationalist forecasts which are at odds with all the others. They are predicting high winds (40mph gusts) Thursday and Friday.

Posted by: RAB2 | March 6, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

RAB2, that's interesting, but I guess it's not really at odds with CWG since CWG doesn't forecast that far in advance...

Posted by: spgass1 | March 6, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

You mean "InAccuWeather" at it again?

Personally, I consider that site to be a complete joke.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | March 6, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse