The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 03/ 4/2010

PM Update: Chilly breezes continue

By Ian Livingston

Still cool on Friday, but warmer for the weekend

* D.C.'s is a climate to relish | Snow season over? | CWG T-Shirts! *
* Outside now? Radar, webcam & more: Weather Wall *

Plentiful sunshine helped temperatures rise back toward average today, but we're still a bit below the average high around and above 50. This afternoon's readings in the mid-and-upper 40s have felt a little extra chilly thanks to a continued northwest wind gusting to around 30 mph at times. Fortunately for springlike weather fans -- today's Cherry Blossom forecast reminds us it's coming -- we'll get back to normal and maybe above this weekend!

Webcam: Latest view of D.C. from the Netherlands Carillon at Arlington National Cemetery. Courtesy National Park Service. Refresh page to update. See this image bigger on our Weather Wall.

Through Tonight: We'll see skies trend mostly cloudy overnight as a northwest wind persists. Lows fall to the upper 20s and lower 30s.

Tomorrow (Friday): Clouds that arrive overnight should dissipate as the day wears on, hopefully leaving us partly cloudy by afternoon. Temperatures should be similar to today, perhaps a touch cooler thanks to more cloud cover -- highs in the mid-40s most spots. Winds continue to blow around 10-15 mph with higher gusts.

See David Streit's full forecast through the week . And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Snowmageddon and Snoverkill: The NOAA Environmental Visualization Lab has put together an awesome satellite animation of our back-to-back February 2010 blizzards. Check it out!

By Ian Livingston  | March 4, 2010; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Believe it or not, D.C.'s is a climate to relish
Next: Forecast: Warming trend hits stride this weekend

Comments

Once again the wind is keeping me from striper fishing at 301, this has 2 b the windiest winter in yrs. Seems like it's nothing but strong NW winds 4 the last 6 weeks.
Winter is now over, lets c some 50-60's. Time 2 start working in the yard.

Posted by: VaTechBob | March 4, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

And I'd love to be able to sail. Sounds like this weekend will give me weather that is at least good enough to get out on the water, but I can't find anyone to crew. People are still in winter mode, and don't believe it's warm enough yet for even a couple of mid-day hours in my boat.

Posted by: --sg | March 4, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

DCA's YTD snowfall total has been adjusted to 56.1, inches from the previous 56". Did all those .T days finally tote up to .1" inch?

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | March 4, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Seems like if we want to see walter's leprechaun, we should start doing a special irish kind of dance...maybe to U2.

Posted by: manassasmissy | March 4, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1, I believe that .1" came on the 27th when we had a few hours of light snow late at night.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 4, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

VaTechBob...this isn't the only extremely windy winter we've had...last winter was also very blustery, albeit with an extremely dry La Nina pattern rather than this year's negative-AO El Nino...I can remember days on end of desiccating dry NW winds during Jan./Feb., 2009.

We didn't start getting all the cold rain in 2009 until April as I recall.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | March 4, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

@Ian, thanks for the update re: the extra .1". Small potatoes, I realize. but it means we now only need 3.9" to hit 60" for the season. And the Irish snow jigs seem to be underway. ; ))

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | March 4, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

re: wind. It does seem as if it's been windy nonstop lately and I'm getting sick of it at this point myself, but I do also feel like it's windy most winters here. I remember my several winters here (before this one) much less by snow than (some) cold and wind. I was starting to think this one was windier than the past though, but a glance back at last year shows they are pretty close -- as Bombo notes above.

Avg windspeed met winter 09/10 v. 08/09: (09/10) Dec, 8.5 mph.. Jan, 10.1 mph.. Feb 10.2 mph; (08/09) Dec, 9.3 mph.. Jan 8.0 mph.. Feb, 10.9 mph. I guess maybe it has been windier longer this stretch, looking at the Jan/Feb comparisons. Over the season the avg is almost the same though. I guess that's a pretty small sample, maybe I'll examine further back if I get really bored... ;-)

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 4, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1, I must admit after where we were on Feb 10 I am a bit surprised how little we've picked up since... but we did go into something of a snowless period after the big Dec storm as well. My gut is we'll be hard pressed to get to 60" at DCA, but the pattern will still tend wintry looking for a bit it seems so I would not be shocked if we did get there. It's good for records to cluster anyway so you feel like there is a chance to get it again, heh.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 4, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

@Ian, we can hope re: the 60" we can hope, bu looking at the long-range forecasts, it indeed does not look promising. And even if some parts of the region were to pick up 4" or more of snow, it's not likely to happen at DCA.

Philly, at 78.7" may hit the 80" mark. IAD, probably not. Right now, I'm hoping DCA can hold onto its seasonal lead over Central Park, now up to 51.4". But that's like rooting for Maryland to beat Duke in a post-season basketball tournament.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | March 4, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Pollen... it's coming... *jaws theme*

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | March 5, 2010 1:39 AM | Report abuse

camden,
are we gonna need a bigger hanky....?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 5, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse