The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 4:50 PM ET, 03/26/2010

PM Update: Freezing cold tonight, cool weekend

By Dan Stillman

Next chance of rain arrives Sunday p.m.

* World Meteorological Day | World's Longest Toilet Queue *
* Outside now? Temps, clouds & more: Weather Wall | Traffic *

To think, yesterday evening we were enjoying temperatures in the low 70s dropping into the 60s, before the rain arrived last night and left this morning. A very different story this evening, as readings drop into the 30s after spending most of the day in the 40s. Winds that gusted near 30 mph today, sending wind chills into the 30s, are weakening. Still, cool weather is here to stay through this opening Cherry Blossom Festival weekend.

Temperatures: Latest D.C. area temperature map powered by iMap (base map by Google). Click and hold on map to pan. Double-click to zoom. Refresh page to update. See larger map on our Weather Wall.

Through Tonight: We'll see clearing skies and diminishing winds (though still somewhat breezy, around 10-15 mph from the north) through evening as temperatures drop into the chilly 30s. Overnight, winds settle to around 10 mph, and under mostly clear skies lows bottom near freezing downtown (would be DCA's first freeze this month) and in the mid-to-upper 20s across the burbs.

Tomorrow (Saturday): Mostly sunny skies help temperatures rebound from their near-and-below-freezing start. But they can only go so high after starting so low -- highs near 50 or in the low 50s should do it. Winds should be light, around 5-10 mph. An area of high clouds may move in later in the afternoon or toward evening.

See Camden Walker's forecast through early next week. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

By Dan Stillman  | March 26, 2010; 4:50 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Meteorological Day 60th Anniversary
Next: Forecast: Saturday sun & chill; Sunday p.m. rain

Comments

"and in the mid-to-upper 20s across the burbs."

Hey! This is spring! Knock it off.

If DCA gets down to 32, that puts a hole in the warmest whatever ever, right? (Slow Friday PM, have to try to start something :-). Seriously though, that will keep us out of the record books, if I correctly recall a recent post on that stat.

Posted by: amaranthpa | March 26, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

@amaranthpa

Knock it off is right ... Though it pretty much happens every March, it's always a bummer when temperatures take a step back after teasing us with 70s. Regarding stats related to freezing at DCA, follow the link in the "Through Tonight" section above. -Dan, CWG

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | March 26, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't there be a freeze or frost watch or something if temps might go below freezing tonight?

Posted by: justhavingfun4u1 | March 26, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

20s w/o snow is a waste of cold.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 26, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Walter,

I doubt even you can do anything with it, but there is still at least one snow pile left in the DC area:

Posted by: Melewen | March 26, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

At 1149 HRS, I actually recorded a temperature of 39 Degrees Fahrenheit, yes, in the middle of the day! Right now it's 38.2 Degrees Fahrenheit, and falling quite rapidly. It currently feels like 37.0 Degrees Fahrenheit, and it's lovely (The Dewpoint is the lowest I've seen it in a while, at 17.6 Degrees Fahrenheit, and the RH is just right at 43%). It's my Husky's birthday, and she had a pure blast running in the cooler weather again. I even took the opportunity to run outside this evening, and to do my PT's outdoors.

Hey, warm days are nice in Spring, but I also like the cool nights. It's what differentiates Spring from Summer, and it's a great difference in my view.

Right now I'm also waiting for my Cherry Tree to bloom, but since the Basin has just started, it means I'll have to wait another two to three weeks (Yeah, there's that much of a difference only 20 miles West, but 500' higher in ALT and all).

Posted by: TheAnalyst | March 26, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

"20s w/o snow is a waste of cold."

Walter, I have to agree with you there... but it is a nice night for a fire and good book. I haven't had many recreational fires this winter, as I was saving wood for an extended power outage that fortunately never came.

The book I'm reading, Red Storm Rising by Clancy, is a good read so far and one of the main characters happens to be an Air Force meteorologist.

Current temp=31.8F