The new Washington

PM Update: Long-duration deluge starts tonight

By Ian Livingston

Heavy rain Fri. and Sat. lead to river flood threat

* Flood Watch Friday morning through Saturday evening area-wide *
* February's once in a lifetime snows | March is fickle | CWG T-Shirts! *
* Outside now? Radar, webcam & more: Weather Wall *

It's still pretty warm -- and almost a little muggy as dew points rise to near 50 degrees on a moist southerly breeze. Temperatures have again topped out in the low-to-mid 60s across the area this afternoon despite mostly cloudy skies. Rain, now to our south and southwest, will work its way up here by late this evening and last into the weekend, taking a break at times.

Radar: Latest regional radar shows movement of precipitation over past three hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Through Tonight: A few sprinkles are possible before a batch of steady showers begins to move in late this evening, overspreading the entire area by around midnight or just after. Showers then continue through the night and into the morning. Temperatures only drop to the upper 40s and low 50s.

Tomorrow (Friday): The first batch of rain that comes in overnight lasts through the morning commute. It could be followed by a break in the action during the midday, but more rain should develop as the day progresses. Highs range from the mid-50s to around 60. Winds from the east will increase by late in the day and could be quite gusty heading into the night.

See David Streit's full forecast through Monday. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Flood threat: Those following CWG this week know there is some flood risk as we head into the weekend thanks to rain mixed with upstream snowmelt. The Middle Atlantic River Forecast Center is including much of the area in its "significant river flooding likely" category as of today's river flood outlook. Moderate river flooding is expected as close as Point of Rocks, Md., while Little Falls, Md., is slated to experience at least minor flooding. The Hydrometeorological Prediction Center's most recent rainfall forecast calls for around 3" or more across the area.

By Ian Livingston  | March 11, 2010; 8:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: February recap: Once in a lifetime snows
Next: Forecast: Wet into weekend with flood threat

Comments

Rain makes for good sleeping weather...especially on the weekend. I'm okay with that! :)

Posted by: Rcmorgan | March 11, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I agree rain is great for lazing on a weekend morning. Even though my normal wake up time is around 2:30 AM, I should have no problem staying in bed until after 6 this coming Saturday. It will be the perfect day to stay in, make a good breakfast and do nothing. Yeah. My kind of day.

Posted by: pjdunn1 | March 11, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I used to love being lazy on rainy weekends... then I had kids and it all changed.

Posted by: Tom8 | March 11, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

THANKS for the flood-related NOAA links!

Posted by: erbele | March 11, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Tom8 - I agree. I am not looking forward to being stuck inside. Plus, I'm running the national 1/2 next week and need to get in a long run.
CWG- will there be some breaks in the weather to get a run in (a long one)? Any chance the predicted deluge won't be as much of a deluge?

Also, any long term predictions for next weekend and the race (Saturday?)

Posted by: liledjen4901 | March 11, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

This is going to be the weirdest thing I have ever put on a blog, but isn't this a valid argument to get my husband to put away the humidifier? He loves that thing. Swears by it. I'm fine through the cold winter, but aren't we kind of into moist air again? What's a semi-scientific explanation I can give him as to why this is overkill at this point? Argh. Bring on the rain (but please go away Sunday).

Posted by: esmerelda123 | March 11, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

esmerelda123 - with dewpoints at or above 40, your husband can put away the humidifier. But it (skin & nasal passages) get dry again when dewpoints dip below 40. Hope that helps!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | March 11, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

esmerelda123,
if that's the weirdest thing you've ever posted...well...then you're not very weird.
;-)

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 11, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Has CWG posted a total rainfall event amount? If they have, I haven't seen it. The early week accuweather one sounded pretty outrageous.

Posted by: jojo2008 | March 11, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

@jojo2008

To me 2-4" seems like a good bet, with locally higher amounts possible. The latest GFS model spits out 4-5"+ for the region. We'll provide more info tomorrow.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 11, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we should have a rain lovers crystal ball for all those who love rain.

Posted by: celestun100 | March 11, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Eastern Warren County Report

Current conditions= 49.5F, rain

Ahead of these rains, I was glad to get my back gutter repaired after the ice dam damage. While they were out here, Dolly's Home Improvement also patched the soffit damaged during our recent flying squirrel invasion.

Posted by: spgass1 | March 11, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Much UNNEEDED rain--too long in duration and it spoils the ENTIRE weekend!

BTW, there's no need for a "rain-lover's crystal ball", but we could use the "Thundercast". We should have had a thundercast for the first February snowstorm as well--Baltimore got some pretty good thundersnow.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | March 11, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

This whole day has been like an amazing zoning out period for me. For the past couple of days, my head has been a little stuffy, and I really feel "out of it". Thanks a lot allergies X-/

Yet another reason why I am looking forward to starting back-up with ice hockey in May *jumping up-and-down* lol. That's when they begin the Summer clinics, and I'll get to spend some serious time inside, and on the sweet, sweet ice.

On another positive note, this rainfall will represent the inaugural test of my VP2 rain gauge, so I'm really looking forward to that!!! :-) (Hey Gang, I sent you folks an e-mail with some questions regarding it, so I hope you received it).

Posted by: TheAnalyst | March 12, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Update: WooHoo!!! My program just registered the first rainfall amount in my rain gauge (0.01"). Now it hit 0.02". I'm really glad that it's all working :-D

Posted by: TheAnalyst | March 12, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

We just hit .25" of rainfall over here in Reston, VA (The rate has been hovering between 0.10-0.22" per Hour for most of the time, while it's now down to .06" per hour).

Edit: We've now achieved .26" of precipitation, and we're back up to a rate of 0.19" an Hour. (This is all within a time-span of only a few minutes).

Posted by: TheAnalyst | March 12, 2010 2:12 AM | Report abuse