The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 4:20 PM ET, 03/ 3/2010

PM Update: Some showers into this evening

By Ian Livingston

Slight warming tomorrow, nicer toward the weekend

* Snow season over? | Varying predictability of snow | CWG T-Shirts! *
* Outside now? Radar, webcam & more: Weather Wall *

The "storm that couldn't" decided it would still try today as some leftover energy creates light rain and drizzle across the area. Temperatures have not done much in the way of movement since the sun came up, but most spots have edged toward highs near 40 or into the lower 40s. Light rain and drizzle should continue into the early evening before it pulls off to the east.

Radar: Latest regional radar shows movement of precipitation over past three hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Through Tonight: The main area of drizzle and light rain, possibly mixing with some snow, continues till around 7 p.m. or so before dwindling and swinging east. Some additional drizzle or a flurry is possible through the night but it should be less widespread. Temperatures bottom out within a few degrees of 30. Northwest winds around 10-20 mph persist through the night.

Tomorrow (Thursday): Skies will still be rather cloudy tomorrow, but we should see periods of partial sunshine, especially in the morning and midday. Highs will be a bit warmer than today as we reach the low-and-mid 40s. Those pesky northwest winds continue around 10-20 mph.

See Dan Stillman's full forecast through the week . And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Weather-world mourns: Don Kent, known as a dean of weather broadcasters in New England died yesterday -- he was 92. Don's career in the business began back in the 1930s and continued for nearly 70 years. During this time he built a reputation as a pioneer in the field, despite lacking a meteorology degree. As Harvey Leanord, co-chief meteorologist for WCBTV Boston put it, Don will be remembered as a "legend".

By Ian Livingston  | March 3, 2010; 4:20 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cherry blossom bloom: Make your prediction
Next: Forecast: A couple cool days before the warm-up

Comments

Question.. NWS shows 90% snow at a glance, where are they getting that from? GFS, NAM, Radar?

Posted by: Beachboy4ever | March 3, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Don Kent was the undisputed dean of Boston area broadcast meteorologists and is acknowledged throughout the broadcast community as a pioneer during the 1950's in bringing professionalism and credibility to TV and radio stations across the country.

He was also my inspiration for becoming a meteorologist when just a kid of about 8-9 years old, and undoubtedly inspired many, many more over his long career.

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | March 3, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Reference: Don Kent

I received the following in an email from Bob Ryan too late for having mentioned in the PM update proper. With his permission, this is what he had to say:

When I left SUNY Albany and first went to Boston, pioneering radio broadcaster and SUNY ASRC research meteorologist Ray Falconer told me to call Don Kent. I used Ray's name and got to meet and watch Don. We kept in touch and got the broadcasting bug, moved from the lab to TV. Now 1 day into my "retirement"/pause ....... one of the great mentors and role models for so many broadcast meteorologists is gone. Don's love and enthusiasm for what he did was infectious to everyone who knew him and everyone who watched and heard him. He once told me, "If you can't get excited about the weather, how can you expect anyone watching to be excited about watching". Advise I have passed on to aspiring broadcasters. A great inspiration and a great friend to so many of us.

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | March 3, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Now 90% rain...What ever...From what you posted Don seemed like a great guy, my condolences to all.

Posted by: Beachboy4ever | March 3, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Beachboy4ever - yes it was some sort of error. I notice once a month that NWS has some sort of automatic, computational miscommunication. Their electronic automated forecast metrics just spit out mumbo-jumbo. But then correct for some unknown reason. argh! :)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | March 3, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

@CWG:

Temperature dropping and still a big blob of precip on the radar. Are you sure it's gonna be out of here by 7pm, or could the missing snow from last night turn up tonight?

Posted by: rwalker66 | March 3, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

THX Camden for the explanation, BTW here is a great link on Don http://wbztv.com/video/?id=87320@wbz.dayport.com
Aloha

Posted by: Beachboy4ever | March 3, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Things have tapered off here along the Blue Ridge Mtns. There's a bit of snow showing up in Shenandoah County on Intellicast radar but it doesn't look like it's getting past the Massanuttens. Final report (probably)= 2.25", current temp 30.9F

Posted by: spgass1 | March 3, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

PS Per my wife's description of her drive home, it sounds like there wasn't much snow below 1600 ft...

Posted by: spgass1 | March 3, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

@rwalker66

No snow tonight... This is mostly over...

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 3, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Read my lips: NO NEW SNOWSTORMS

Posted by: stuckman | March 3, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

PPS Today's snow brings the season total to over 80" at my location (80.3125 to be precise)... Details...

I guess the next milestone is 84" (7 feet)...?

Posted by: spgass1 | March 3, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Here in Northern MD, it is NOT snowing and I can see pavement out my front window. I do NOT have to go outside and clear my driveway and my schedule tomorrow is NOT impacted by the snow that is usually falling when a coastal storm is nearby. My weekend is also NOT in jeopardy which means I will NOT be a prisoner in my own home Sat and Sun. I still canNOT see all the grass in my yard but my roof is almost fully visible.
I am most happy about the wimpy storm, but I will NOT feel safe from the snow excrement until April. Snowmas........

Posted by: seasejs | March 3, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

QUOTE:

You started off the thread, above, with one of the most significant.....and annoying.....features of this year's storms, as opposed to those past years. Not only has the total number of storms this winter.....and their constant threat and approach every 3-5 days.....been unacceptable (though Mother Nature, of course, has the last word), but is seems that, unlike the past, almost every storm takes its sweet time getting out of the area and has a swirl of upper-level energy behind it that prolongs the end of the precip. Once AGAIN, we're going through the same crap this evening, as the so-called "last piece" of upper-level energy comes through. Because of these secondary features, every storm seems to take at least 24-36 hours to finally move away and stop raining/snowing, and, of course, the last big explosive storm north of us, with the big winds, took longer than that.

I've been in the D.C area since the early 60's.....almost 50 years.......and I have never seen such a repititious winter pattern like this winter, although the Bicentennial 76-77 winter, from October to January, was remarkable for its constant bitter cold, deep trough, and NW flow.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | March 3, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

@MMCarhelp, I've had family in the D.C. area in the early 1950's, and back once again in the 1970's until now, and they remember Winters where they never saw grass in their neighborhoods from December through April. By "repetition", I assume that you are simply referring to the storm tracking, am I correct? Because we have most certainly seen Winters before with snowfall as consistent as this one, and with extreme cold for weeks on end to boot.

Btw, I heard a Farmers Almanac guy today, who has so far been dead on for this Winter's pattern (As well as precip. levels), and he's calling for another 30" this Month. This will be interesting to say the least.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | March 4, 2010 12:40 AM | Report abuse