The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 03/ 8/2010

PM Update: Spring preview rolls on

By Ian Livingston

Mild through the week; rain returns by Wed. night

* Snow pile watch | Polar opposite positions on snow | CWG T-Shirts! *
* Outside now? Radar, webcam & more: Weather Wall *

Another in a string of beautiful spring-like days is winding down, but not before producing temperatures near and above 60. Even though pesky winds continue to blow, the higher temperatures are making them a bit more bearable, and they should wane further tonight and tomorrow. While the mild temperatures are not going anywhere right away, the sun will go into hiding by Wednesday, so get out and enjoy the rest of today and tomorrow if possible!

Webcam: Latest view of D.C. from the Netherlands Carillon at Arlington National Cemetery. Courtesy National Park Service. Refresh page to update. See this image bigger on our Weather Wall.

Through Tonight: Skies stay clear overnight and winds decrease. These factors combine to allow temperatures to fall pretty well. Look for lows as far down as the upper 20s in the coldest suburbs to the mid 30s downtown.

Tomorrow (Tuesday): If you liked the past few days, you'll be a fan of tomorrow. Mostly sunny skies again grace the area as highs top out near 60 or into the lower 60s. Winds should be light and variable. Some increase in clouds by sunset is possible.

See Jason Samenow's full forecast through the week. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Late-week flooding? The prospect of heavy rain (recent model forecast for accumulated precipitation Thursday through late Saturday) over the mid-Atlantic and Northeast later this week is already getting some folks concerned about flooding, particularly in places that still have snow cover. Fortunately for us, our snow has mainly melted and did so slowly. However, places to our north still have quite the snowpack. In addition to possible urban flooding around here if rain is heavy enough, we'll have to watch for river rises as runoff from the north arrives after the rain ends.

By Ian Livingston  | March 8, 2010; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Polar opposite positions on snow
Next: Forecast: Enjoy today's fantastic sun and warmth

Comments

NWS says 3" of rain is possible east of the mts???!!!I hope like during winter the current model turns out to be wrong...

Posted by: steske | March 8, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Is there a dance to hold the rain to less than an inch?

My ice dam is finally melting... I'll have to see about repairing the gutter before any big rain storms.

Posted by: spgass1 | March 8, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I’d just like to go on record as saying how impressed I am by the folks who run this blog. During the most recent non-snow storm, I asked some questions (basically to no one in particular) about why things were happening, and was shocked to receive detailed responses. Then, the other day I bemoaned the lack of weather-related excitement and blog traffic. What did I get? One of the CWG folks wrote me a little message telling me to hang in there and, amazingly, managing to even get me a tad excited about other non-snow-related weather events to look forward to during the upcoming warmer months. So cool. Anyway, I will definitely be staying with this blog. I can’t believe I’m saying this but I think that I’m actually becoming a… GULP… weather geek!!

Posted by: MarylanDChris | March 8, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

My Accuweather weather app says 4.44" of rain Thur/Fri. Could that possible be right?

Posted by: steske | March 8, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

@MarylanDChris

Thanks so much for the nice words.

@steske

It's too early to pin down amounts, but some of the models are spitting out some big numbers. We'll provide more info in the coming days...

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | March 8, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Why can't this be snow?! (I'm not looking for a technical response. I'm just being mopey.)

Posted by: cbvd | March 8, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

cbvd, too warm... ;-)

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 8, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Is Tom Kierein now the weather forecaster for WRC's evening news slots? I've pretty much tuned out of WRC since Bob Ryan left but I did switch over a few mins. ago there was Tom, liberated from his early a.m. slot?

Or are they just shuffling people around for now? I don't know who did the weather early today on WRC. Was it Veronica Johnson?

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | March 8, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1 -- yes, Veronica Johnson had the AM weather slot today.

Posted by: natsncats | March 8, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

@natsncats, thanks. Making the best of it, I guess. I wish Steve Villanueva was still at the station.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | March 8, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

LOL@ too warm

Posted by: AdmiralX | March 8, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

General question -- what do y'all do for hurricane season? I read Jeff Masters religiously. Transplant from North Carolina so we had to keep a slightly closer eye on the tropics than DC does. I know hurricanes aren't quite as addictively unpredictable as winter storms, but they'll do. ;-)

Ditto the kudos on the good coverage this winter; stopped paying serious attention to anyone else after I found this site other than to see if the weatherati had reached consensus. I relayed your forecasts to my gaggle of friends and now I've become the weather god of the group. I've been accused of being the cause of the snow on more than one occasion :-p.

Posted by: AdmiralX | March 8, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

AdmiralX - While CWG doesn't do its own Hurricane Season Outlook, you will find we do comment & follow the forecasts from Colorado State & the National Hurricane Center. If you are also asking what DC does? We start watching for tropical systems by late August, thru September. That's typically when they pass through/near our region.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | March 9, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

@AdmiralX

We're actually considering doing a seasonal tropical weather outlook this year for the first time as we have a hurricane expert (Greg Postel) on board who is potentially interested in giving this a shot. We'll also provide coverage of any/all storms that pose a risk to the U.S. mainland.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | March 9, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

*sigh*. I guess this is back to the usual forget-ever-hoping-for snow metro forecast. So, I guess all the magical weather is done for the season, CWG? I'm worried about the possibility of winds with this saturating rainfall forecast. Seems like every one of the past three springs I've lost big trees that have taken months to get cleaned up when the rainy, windy spring comes.

Posted by: manassasmissy | March 9, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse