The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:40 PM ET, 04/24/2010

Forecast: Saturday showers; Sunday storms?

By Jason Samenow

* Severe storm, tornado season cranks up | NatCast *
* Outside now? Radar & more: Weather Wall | CWG T-Shirts *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

4Not wonderful, but not a total washout.

Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Scattered light showers. Near 60. | Tonight: Showers at times. Near 50. | Tomorrow: Variably cloudy, good chance of afternoon showers and t'storms. Low 70s. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

We've had so much good weather this spring, that it's almost become difficult to imagine a weekend with anything less than picture perfect conditions. But this weekend isn't going to deliver due to rain chances. It's not all bad though, as there should be some dry windows between rainy periods.

Radar: Latest regional radar shows movement of precipitation over past three hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Saturday): Cloudy with occasional light showers; around 0.1" of rain is possible by evening. Flow from the east will keep temperatures cool, with highs only around 60. Confidence: Medium

Tonight: The risk of scattered and mainly light showers remains through evening, with steadier activity likely after midnight into the pre-dawn hours. It will be a little raw, with temperatures slowly falling through the 50s. About 0.25-0.5" of rain is possible. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through early next week...

Tomorrow (Sunday): Cloudy, cool conditions and even some patchy light rain or drizzle in the early-to-mid morning probably (60% chance) yields to partial sunshine and a warm-up in the afternoon. Assuming this happens, the atmosphere may destabilize sufficiently for some strong thunderstorms in the late afternoon and early evening. On the other hand, if it remains cloudy, we'd probably just experience some run-of-the-mill showers with some isolated thunder. Depending on how much sun we get, highs will range from the mid-to-upper 60s to low-to-mid 70s. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: Scattered showers and thunderstorms are likely in the evening (60% chance) followed by generally cloudy skies after midnight. Lows drop to 50-55. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

A chance of showers and thunderstorms remains in the forecast on Monday with the approach of a cold front. Like Sunday, we may have a window of some sun and mild temperatures with highs in the low 70s, before showers and storms threaten (50-60% chance) primarily starting in the late afternoon. Mostly cloudy Monday night, with lows around 50. Confidence: Medium

Tuesday turns cooler, but we can't totally shake the chance of showers (40% chance) as some little disturbances ripple through the region. Skies will be variably cloudy, with highs 60-65. Confidence: Medium

By Jason Samenow  | April 24, 2010; 3:40 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NatCast: Shower chances increase
Next: NatCast: Showers and storms threaten

Comments

My son and I have tickets for Sunday's Nationals-Dodgers game at 1:35. When you say "late afternoon" showers and thunderstorms, roughly, what time are you referring to?

Thanks.

Posted by: Hisownfool | April 24, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

CWG: Any new thoughts as to the likelihood of severe weather with the approaching system? Accuweather is terrifying me. (I know they like to do that, but objectively speaking it does look like a big bad one, at least in its present formation.)

Posted by: tinkerbelle | April 24, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

When I woke up to rain here in the Valley, I knew today wouldn't be a perfect 7. I was surprised that it made it to 5 though. Even though the rain has stopped it is still pretty dreary looking. Maybe because we need the rain?

Posted by: eric654 | April 24, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

In west alexandria the sun shone, an hour later with blue sky on the NE horizon drizzle started.I dont think it will amount to much in the next 4 hours

Posted by: pvogel88 | April 24, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

tinkerbelle, still looke like we have a threat for sever weather. SPC introduced a slight risk for the whole area last night. But other than that I'm not sure the picture is that much clearer. As noted in this forecast and previously, we'll need some sunshine to really crank storms. Predicting where/when/if that will happen is difficult. The surface low and other features have trended a bit slower/west of earlier guidance. That may threaten to lower the risk, but it's a fairly strong system. I think any severe weather in the area tomorrow will be more single storms or small clusters rather than a big line. But, there is maybe more potential for spinning etc than usual this time of year... still quite a low chance for that to be realized as a tornado though.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 24, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Currently not too much rain...big thunderstorm risk seems to be from noon tomorrow to midnight Tuesday with greatest activity tomorrow and Monday afternoon/evening.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | April 24, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Severe weather...Tornadoes in MS have affected Yazoo City and Durant...could be a long-path tornado.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | April 24, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@Hisownfool

Looks like the heavier late-afternoon shower/thunderstorm threat will be from around 4-5 p.m. or so onward. So, there's a decent chance that some light showers would be the worst you'd see through at least a good part of the game. Check back with us tomorrow morning for the latest general forecast and NatCast, as things could change.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | April 24, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE, bring back the CWG button in the top right hand corner of the front page. I've relied on the one click forecast forever.
Thanks

Posted by: annr4 | April 24, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Hi annr4 - I want to figure out which button you speak of? Was it in the top links above our logo? I.e.: " About This Blog | Meet the Gang | Frequent Questions | Ask the Gang "

Was there a link that you were expecting?

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | April 24, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I think that annr4 was referring to the link on the main WaPo page that has been replaced by the Network News window. Ugh.

Posted by: jkuchen | April 24, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

jkuchen - thanks for guidance. One of our senior editors will see our discussion here and check on this.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | April 24, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

annR4, Camden--the link is still on the Local home page, though.

Bombo47jea--I just read the reports page on the SPC site. I don't like the sounds of it--something tells me that between the flattened houses, the cars blown off of I-55, and the industrial park collapse, there are going to be some fatality updates to those reports.

Posted by: jkuchen | April 24, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Does the morning look clear from thunder showers? The GW Parkway Classic Ten Mile Race is tomorrow morning at 8, and well, I don't think any of us want to be running in the thunder and lightning. Rain I can take.

Posted by: runnergirl03 | April 24, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

RE: Link on National News page...
I agree! Bring back the quick link to CWG on the main page of WAPO!

Keep up the great work, CWG!

Posted by: pinguino1 | April 24, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

I want some SUN, but I'm willing to stick with the clouds if it prevents the convection based cells. If a storm is headed my way, I just know I'll end up getting caught in it while I rush outside to cover my car (To prevent any hail damage). This will be an interesting time-frame indeed...

Posted by: TheAnalyst | April 25, 2010 3:22 AM | Report abuse

@runnergirl
I'm signed up for the GW Parkway Classic 10 Miler too. It's not looking good. It's the morning of the race and the current hourly forecast on the Weather Channel website looks bad. At 8 am, 50% chance of T-showers. At 8:15 am, 75% chance of rain and thunder.

Even if they delay the race, that's not going to help much. The thunder and T-storms (don't know the difference) will pick up again by 9:15 to 9:30 am, 70-80% chance. 65% chance of T-storms in the 10 am hour. After that, it's just too long to sit around and wait for the race to start. I'm thinking that the race is going to be called off. As you said, rain is no big deal but thunder and lightning isn't something to play around with.

I still have 30 minutes to decide but I'm leaning toward skipping the race.

Posted by: 123home123 | April 25, 2010 4:58 AM | Report abuse

jkuchen, you're right! Thanks. The link was on the main WaPo page, upper right hand corner and yes, now it's got "Network News", which is totally useless.
For years, I've had washingtonpost.com as my homepage. With this change and the clutter on it, I'm changing that.

In the meantime, I've created a link directly to the CWG to simplify my life. You CWG are the best!

Posted by: annr4 | April 27, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse