The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 04/ 2/2010

Forecast: Gorgeous string of near-perfect days

By Camden Walker

Temperatures way above average into next week

* April Fools: DCA snow totals to be raised | NatCast & UnitedCast *
* Temps and more: Weather Wall | Pollen, AQI & UV: Health page *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

9Amazing end to the work week, save for the pollen and elevated UV. Is 80 too warm for you?

Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Tons of sun. Mid-70s to near 80. | Tonight: Mostly clear. Upper 40s to mid-50s. | Tomorrow: Mostly sunny. Mid-70s to near 80. | Sunday: Partly to mostly sunny. Slight chance of a.m. sprinkle or shower. Upper 70s. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

It really doesn't get much better than this in the nation's capital. I mean, not only is it sunny and warm, but the marvelous weather coincides with the Easter holiday, bursting cherry blossoms, and the first home games for the Nats and D.C. United. The low-humidity warmth should be perfect for just about anything, be it a bbq, patio party, frisbee game or walk on the Mall. Get out and enjoy. With some sunscreen on hand too, please.

Today (Friday): Splendid. The end. Oh okay... to detail, it will be a lot like yesterday with mostly sunny skies, morning temperatures rising into and through the 60s, and afternoon highs in the upper 70s to near 80. Breezes should be light, no more than about 5-10 mph out of the south/southeast. The light breeze off the water may be enough to keep National Airport's highs to the mid-70s. With the warmth, of course, comes high pollen. Achoo! Confidence: High

Tonight: Skies stay clear, allowing evening temperatures to fall through the 70s and into the 60s. By sunrise, downtown bottoms in the low-to-mid 50s, with cooler upper 40s possible outside the Beltway. Winds continue to be light, from the southeast. Confidence: High

Is there a catch to this incredible weather? Keep reading for the forecast into next week...

Tomorrow (Saturday): The sun shines bright, sending temperatures shooting upward once again, toward highs in the mid-70s to near 80. In the afternoon, breezes probably pick up to around 10-15 mph from the southeast. That may keep highs at National and near the Bay a few degrees lower. Still, it will be a HIGHLY enjoyable day, including for the Nats-Red Sox exhibition at Nationals Park. Confidence: High

Tomorrow Night: Skies could turn partly cloudy for a time as a very weak cool front approaches. Otherwise, a perfectly pleasant evening for D.C. United's home opener. Lows in the low-to-mid 50s. Confidence: Medium-High

Sunday: Maybe a morning sprinkle or brief shower, but chances are pretty low (less than 20%), and nothing that should significantly disrupt Easter sunrise services. Otherwise, we're looking at partly to mostly sunny skies and temperatures remaining way above average with highs around the upper 70s. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Partly to mostly clear skies persist Sunday night with lows in the upper 40s to low 50s. Confidence: Medium-High

Sometimes these amazing weekends deteriorate into miserable Mondays. Not this time. Monday extends our string of amazing weather as partly to mostly sunny skies stick around and highs reach the upper 70s to near 80. Confidence: Medium-High

A warm front likely brings increasing clouds Monday night into Tuesday morning and possibly some showers, though there's a chance the showers stay north of the area. Increasing sun during the day Tuesday boosts highs yet again to the upper 70s to near 80. Confidence: Medium-High

By Camden Walker  | April 2, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts  | Tags:  cherry blossoms, dc united, dc weather forecast, washington nationals
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: No joke, April off to very warm start
Next: A cherry blossom bird's-eye view

Comments

Camden,

Not to be the nit-picker, you do a great job, but you could say it does not get better, making today a 10!

Either way, loving it!

Posted by: jaybird926 | April 2, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

let me guess, Joe Bastardi at accuweather is calling for 6-12 inches of snow

this good weather has to be killing them, I'm sure they've got a severe drought story ready if go another 36 hours without rain

Posted by: TGT11 | April 2, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

jaybird926 - and here I thought I was being fair with docking ONLY 1 point for pollen & UV concerns. I am an allergy sufferer with fair skin haha... yet I tried to control my bias with a "9" ;-)

TGT11 - I see what you are getting at and I think it's funny and plausible! jk haha

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | April 2, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I mentioned on another post that there was still a snowplile at work - from the snow they cleaned off the top of the parking deck - it's still there! (It's in the shade in the middle of the day, so the sun isn't helping too much with the melting.) By the looks of it, I'd say it'll stick around until sometime next week... yikes!

Posted by: MKoehl | April 2, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

This is great spring weather...no fooling.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | April 2, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

CWG -- you mentioned on Wed that it would be a lovely evening under the cherry blossoms. I followed your suggestion and we had a picnic dinner last night near the Roosevelt memorial under the cherry trees. I encourage all to enjoy our lovely evening weather. (Based on the crowd last night, I don't have to do much encouraging!)

Posted by: erbele | April 2, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Especially since there's no doubt CWG goes to 11.

Posted by: ah___ | April 2, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

TGT11: Although the outlook does not appear favorable, I am still holding off publishing my 09/10 season snowfall totals. If interested, here's my spring snow update.

By the way, Kevin, that was the best April 1st post I saw yesterday anywhere.

Posted by: spgass1 | April 2, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

CWG & knowledgable commentators:

I heard a blurb on the news about it possibly being a rainy sumnmer because there may be a La Nina weather pattern developing. Is there any evidence or indication that this summer will be super soaked??

I've been planning a HUGE outdoor event 4th of July weekend and am on pins and needles about the potential weather.

Posted by: Pat_E | April 2, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Boooooooooooooo to the 9. Make it a 10.

Posted by: rwalker66 | April 2, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Pat_E - I personally am surprised that anyone is calling a seasonal forecast already for this summer. Moreover, I personally have seen little proof that we'll experience La Nina. In fact, El Nino is still around to some extent. So.. in conclusion, too early to tell. But we'll let you know when season/summer forecasting becomes a bit more prove-able. We do tend to talk about it on CWG before Memorial Day.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | April 2, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

It was just a blurb...didn't catch the full report. Not sure what they said.

I'm sure I'll be biting my nails until the day before my event anyway...I'll take CWG's word over the news folks any day...

Thanks for responding!