Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
The new Washington
Post Weather website
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 04/20/2010

Forecast: Sunny and warmer today

By Matt Rogers

Showers tomorrow & rain threat this weekend

* Iceland volcano unlikely to cause global cooling | NatCast *
* Outside now? Radar & more: Weather Wall | CWG T-Shirts *

Today's Daily Digit
 
A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.
 
8Today should outperform yesterday mainly due to faster warming temperatures.
 
Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Sunny and warmer. 67-71. | Tonight: Clouds arrive. 46-50. | Tomorrow: Cloudy with scattered showers (60% chance). Low-to-mid 60s. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

The combination of dominant sunshine and highs making a solid run at 70 degrees may make today a contender for best day of the week. After a cooler day tomorrow with possible showers, some sun and slight warming returns for the end of the week. Weekend rain chances are still looming. So get out there and enjoy today if you can!

Today (Tuesday): High pressure will continue Monday's nice sunshine with limited clouds and highs in the upper 60s to possibly reaching around 70. Expect light breezes mainly from the north. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Clouds begin arriving, especially after sunset, and we could see some widely scattered showers toward dawn, especially toward the south (20% chance). Look for lows to drop down into the mid-40s in the cooler suburbs to near 50 downtown. Confidence: Medium

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

Tomorrow (Wednesday): Mostly cloudy skies are expected with a good chance (60%) of some showers as highs stall in the low-to-mid 60s. Winds should be light and variable with overall precipitation amounts fairly light (maybe .1 to .25"). Confidence: Low-Medium

Tomorrow Night: Clouds linger along with a 30% chance of lingering showers before clearing skies try to work their way in overnight. Lows should be a tad warmer than tonight with upper 40s to low 50s around the area. Confidence: Low-Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Thursday should offer some level of clearing, but there is some debate as to how much we actually see. The best bet is to expect partly cloudy skies overall with a cool breeze mainly from the northwest. Highs should range through the mid-to-upper 60s. Partly cloudy skies are still expected Thursday night with lows in the 40s. Confidence: Low-Medium

Friday could offer a better chance of upper 60s with partly sunny skies. Mostly cloudy skies are favored Friday night with lows in the upper 40s to low 50s. Confidence: Low-Medium

The weekend is looking occasionally wet as of now as a slow-moving storm system inches our way from the central U.S. In fact, there are signs we could see at least occasional rain chances Saturday all the way through the middle of next week. For the weekend, let's say partly to mostly cloudy with a 40% chance of showers on Saturday and 60% chance on Sunday. Highs should be in the 60s with lows in the 50s. We'll have to hone in on the details in the days ahead. Confidence: Low-Medium

By Matt Rogers  | April 20, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Natcast: Nice night to rock the Rockies
Next: Weather sayings: Do they have any value?

Comments

I think it will be a very nice day today, I am excited. Anyone able to take off some work to be outside??

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | April 20, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

So this might be the nicest day of the week per CWG forecast.
At least frost looks unlikely in Fairfax county. I will probably plant the first bunch of tender annuals this afternoon. And the grass is about knee high so the mower will be in use.
I need to find my sunblock!

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | April 20, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

FIREDRAGON47 - agree! I think you have valid, good thoughts. Do it all. Get that sunscreen definitely. We could peak at UV 10 today for about an hour around 1:06pm highest sun angle time today (solar noon). If this were FB, I'd hit the thumbs-up "like" button on your comment instead of typing all this haha.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | April 20, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm hoping to run the GW Classic in Alexandria on Sunday. The 10-miler starts at 8am. I know its really early to predict, but should I get comfortable with the idea that I'll be running in the rain?

Posted by: Culpeper63 | April 20, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I think it will be mainly a cloud-threat, not rain threat. But yes it is early. Maybe someone else on the CWG team has a clearer picture (crystal ball) for Saturday? But I think you'll be "okay" running :0)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | April 20, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

If it rains it rains im going camping on friday

Posted by: snowlover31 | April 20, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2012 The Washington Post Company