The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 9:40 AM ET, 04/12/2010

Forecast: Sunny start to week, a little cooler

By Jason Samenow

Chance of rain Tues. into early Wed.

* Pollen, air quality and UV: Health page *
* Temps, clouds & more: Weather Wall | Get There *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

8A cool breeze, but pleasant springtime sunshine.

Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Partly to mostly sunny. Upper 60s to around 70. | Tonight: Mostly clear and cool. 36-43. | Tomorrow: Increasing clouds, chance of rain. 59-63. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Since March began, more than 85% of our days have been warmer than average. The first week of April was the warmest on record. But temperatures this week will be pretty average, mainly holding in the 60s for highs. We'll also see a couple rain chances: Tuesday into Wednesday and once again late Friday into Saturday. Not the nicest of weeks, but could be worse.

Today (Monday): Remember Saturday? Today will be a lot like it (maybe a few degrees warmer) with ample sunshine but a cool wind from the north. That north wind will mean highs about 5-8 degrees cooler than yesterday--mainly in the upper 60s to near 70. Confidence: High

Tonight: On the cool side overnight as temperatures take a nice drop under clear skies and with light winds. Some clouds may move in towards morning, however. Lows will range from the upper 30s in the cooler suburbs to the mid-40s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through the week...

blossoms_2010.jpg
Cherry blossoms are peaking in the suburbs. Taken in Oakton, VA by CWG photographer Kevin Ambrose.

Tomorrow (Tuesday): A weak area of low pressure will approach while at the same time winds from the east tap some moisture off the Atlantic. The result will be increasing clouds and the possibility of rain, especially during the afternoon (40-50% chance). The clouds and rain will slow the rise in temperatures, with highs only around 60. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: Occasional light rain and drizzle is possible overnight (40% chance) as moist flow from the east continues. Overnight lows should be in the mid-to-upper 40s. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

A little light rain may linger into Wednesday morning before high pressure begins building back in from the northwest, drying us out. With some afternoon sunshine, highs should reach the low-to-mid 60s. Clear and cool overnight, with lows from the upper 30 in the cooler suburbs to the mid-40s downtown. Confidence: Medium

Thursday may be the nicest day of the week. With high pressure sitting over the region, we should expect sunny skies, light winds, and highs heading up to around 70. Clear Thursday night, with lows from near 40 in the suburbs to the upper 40s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

Friday will probably end up being a pretty nice day though clouds may increase some as a cold front heads towards the region. I'll throw in a chance of showers (around a 30% chance) -- but doesn't look to be a washout. Highs should range from the upper 60s to low 70s. Showers remain a possibility Friday night (30% chance), with lows 45-50. Confidence: Low-Medium

The weekend forecast is pretty uncertain at this point, but right now, it appears there is a chance (40%) of showers on Saturday as a cold front may get hung up over the region. Highs will probably be near 60. On Sunday, the front should be through the region, allowing drier to move in...but some clouds and a few showers (30% chance) could linger. Highs will once again likely be around 60. Confidence: Low

By Jason Samenow  | April 12, 2010; 9:40 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Continued stretch of sun for now
Next: Is April snow in D.C. becoming more rare?

Comments

I know it is subjective, but it looks like "Mr. 7" is back. I personally thought Saturday and Sunday were equally delightful. The cool breeze that apparently bumped it down to 7 from Sunday's 10 just reminded me how nice the sunshine was. I guess the cool breeze will kill us again today or maybe the thought of tomorrow's clouds or maybe because it is Monday.

Posted by: eric654 | April 12, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

eric654 - do you agree with our subjective ratings? at least it sounds like you're making the most of the weather! :)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | April 12, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for posting that "health page", but pollen.com is not the best. They are still saying "Today's predominant pollen: Maple, Elm and Cedar/Juniper." They haven't even noticed OAK yet, which is by far the predominant pollen, and since it happens to be the one I'm mostly allergic to I had been watching for them to mention it.

The page someone mentioned in the comments to your "health page" seems much better to me, and more detailed:

Posted by: ChickenLady | April 12, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link again, ChickenLady! I don't know what kind of pollen I am allergic to, but I have been really bad since this past Thursday night. My voice is gone and my throat is really irritated, on top of my other typical symptoms. Medication is no longer helping. I wonder if I am more allergic to Oak as well... I hope so, as that makes the worse of it end sooner. April and May seem peak allergy season, but within that time different species have their peaks. I would be greatly encouraged if I knew this was not going to last the whole of both months!

Posted by: Snowlover2 | April 12, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

@ChickenLady

Thanks for the comment... the Health Page is somewhat of a work in progress. There are a number of upgrades we'd like to make going forward.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | April 12, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Today's digit upgraded to an 8 and high temps bumped to around 70... nice out there!

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | April 12, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Tomorrow's rain is coming mainly from the NW, more equivalent in a sense to a wintertime "clipper" system. We're supposed to be grazed by a bit of marine flow from the east. The rain later this week could be somewhat similar in nature.

Notes on pollen and spores: As I suspected, oak seems to be the main culprit, with sycamore and mulberry coming behind. This is due to some 20-25 species of oak around here. In Wisconsin we have around eight species, with white oak, burr oak, northern red oak and Hill's oak [northern pin oak] the dominant species. Around here red oaks [northern and southern], scarlet oak and pin oak tend to bloom first, willow oak, white oak and chestnut oak later, and the southernmost species which blooms last is probably swamp chestnut oak in the tidal Potomac area. As for more southerly species, I've seen water oak and overcup oak around here, but no live oak except possibly planted specimens. We also don't seem to have much Shumard oak [common in Tennessee]
or cherrybark oak [actually a variety of the southern red oak], but may have planted specimens.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | April 12, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm posting my material on spores here separately. Basically Fungi are now regarded as a separate kingdom, coequal with Plantae and Animalia, but more closely related to Animalia. This may explain in part why fungal infections, like protozoan infections such as malaria or trypanosomiasis, are so difficult to get rid of, and also why fungal spores can be such efficient allergens.

In general most mushrooms and rusts produce basidiospores. The exceptions include the morels and truffles, which produce ascospores. Many molds and mildews also produce ascospores, while other molds such as common black bread molds produce a third type of spores called zygospores.

Thus far I've covered only the sexual life cycles of fungi. Nearly all fungi also have an asexual or vegetative life cycle, producing conidiospores in between the sexual cycles. These include Aspergillus and Penicillium, which are stages in the life cycles of ascospore-producing molds. Like the ascospores, the vegetative spores can also be allergenic. In fact some species of Aspergillus and Penicillium rarely or never go through the sexual life cycle and have been classed as "Fungi Imperfecti". Often the term "Fungi Imperfecti" means simply that the sexual life cycle nhas not yet been studied.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | April 12, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Camden, sorry I couldn't answer your question earlier, but I was out enjoying the "7"! Make that 8! My answer is I vehemently disagree, today was a 9!

Posted by: eric654 | April 12, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I am mildly irritated at this time of year ... my problems always come at the end of May ... grasses?

Posted by: weathergrrl | April 12, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse