Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
The new Washington
Post Weather website
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 04/30/2010

Forecast: Warm, warmer, then hot & muggy!

By Camden Walker

80s today; 90 and t'storms possible this weekend

* Hypothermia in summer | Later: Where will the Gulf oil go? *
* Temps and more: Weather Wall | Pollen, AQI & UV: Health page *

Today's Daily Digit
 
A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.
 
8Really nice day. Though the 80s can start to get sweaty. Wouldn't have minded some more 70s first.
 
Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly sunny. 80-85. | Tonight: Mostly clear. 58-65. | Tomorrow: Mostly sunny a.m. Increasing p.m. clouds. 25% chance of late-day t'shower. Mid-80s to near 90. | Sunday: Hot & humid. 30% chance of p.m. storm. Near 90. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

A. Camden WalkerOur warm-up gains momentum today, then shifts to a higher gear over the weekend. Say goodbye to those crisp mornings, and hello to increasing heat and humidity, too. The weekend will feature all the hallmarks of summer, including a chance for afternoon and evening thunderstorms. There's good news for those not ready for a permanent shift to summer -- both temperatures and humidity look to moderate as we get into next week.

Today (Friday): Mostly sunny skies catapult morning temperatures through the 50s and 60s, and into the 70s by lunchtime. Afternoon highs probably level off in the low 80s. Breezes increasing to around 10 mph from the southwest may be just enough to refresh. Let's enjoy the humidity-free warmth! Confidence: High

Tonight: An awesome evening awaits with temperatures in the 70s. Skies stay mostly clear through the night but humidity creeps upward. Downtown should see lows in the low 60s, while some spots outside the Beltway may dip into the upper 50s. Confidence: High

What kind of heat does the first weekend of May have in store? Keep reading for the forecast into next week...

Tomorrow (Saturday): The sun shines bright, sending temperatures toward highs in the mid-80s to near 90. In the afternoon, breezes likely pick up to around 10-15 mph from the southwest. With them, you may feel the humidity reaching the slightly uncomfortable level. Building afternoon clouds could form a few late-afternoon or evening thundershowers, with about a 25% chance you'll get wet where you are. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: Evening shower/thundershower chances remain around 25%. Mostly cloudy skies and muggy air mean a balmy night downtown with lows in the low 70s to near 70. Even the suburbs shouldn't drop below the mid-to-upper 60s. Confidence: Medium

Sunday: Get ready to sweat. With partly sunny skies, temperatures climb toward highs near 90 with humidity in the moderate to high range. By afternoon, breezes from the southwest increase to around 15 mph. As of now, the chance of a cooling afternoon or evening shower or thunderstorm is about 30%. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Partly cloudy and muggy Sunday night. Shower and storm chances continue, at around 30-40%, with mild overnight lows in the upper 60s to low 70s. Confidence: Low-Medium

Monday still looks to be on the humid side with a 60% chance of showers and storms as a cool front pushes through. Tuesday should be less humid with showers/storms not as likely -- about a 30-40% chance. Both days should be partly sunny, with highs somewhere in the mid-70s to low 80s. Confidence: Low-Medium

By Camden Walker  | April 30, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Preparing for a taste of summer
Next: Predicting where the Gulf oil will go

Comments

Meh. As the apartment doesn't seem to have AC going yet (and because it will be quieter in the library anyway) most of my weekend will be spent at the library doing my big end-of-semester project...

Posted by: MKoehl | April 30, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

MKoehl - sounds like a good plan. Good luck too! Anyone else worried about the warmth this weekend? A/C not turned on yet?? (ughh.)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | April 30, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

It'll be a hot race in Frederick on Sunday for the half and full marathons. Suddenly, I like the very early 6:30 start time.

Posted by: BandTCrowd | April 30, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

We got the notice that the heat has been turned off and they expect to have the A/C switch done by next Thursday! A week to make the switch? That seems a bit long. Not looking forward to the hot weekend with no A/C.

Posted by: ana_b | April 30, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"An awesome evening awaits..."

Now that's a line you don't often read at CWG! Definitely firing up the grill and mixing a batch of margaritas after work. Yay, Friday!

Posted by: mcaicedo | April 30, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Good call on grilling! and sorry for others' A/C woes. :-(

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | April 30, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I can't control the heat here but can control the A/C...already have had my window unit on during the earlier warm spell.

Problem was that they turned off the heat around April 3rd, and according to Arlington County law they are supposed to leave it on until the 15th.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | April 30, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Grill ready to go. I love this time of year before the mosquitos come out.

Posted by: Tom8 | April 30, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

this weather is almost as good as snow! tennis this afternoon, then drinks/dinner on the deck. nice... outdoor plans for tomorrow too.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | April 30, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2012 The Washington Post Company