The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 04/ 6/2010

PM Update: Mid-summer or still early April?

By Ian Livingston

More record highs broken; Hot again on Wed.

* Cherry blossom sunrise | March recap | TV climate coverage *
* CWG T-Shirts | Radar and more: Weather Wall | Get There *

OK, what happened to spring? High temperatures ranging from the mid-80s (mostly upper 80s except near water) to the low 90s this afternoon are running a good 20+ degrees above average for the date. Dulles has hit at least 91, a record high for the second day in a row and a reading more on par with -- actually above -- the hottest averages of the year. BWI hit a record high yesterday and will come close today. The influence of a still-chilled river near National puts its record high for today (92 in 1929) out of reach this afternoon.

Temperatures: Latest D.C. area temperature map powered by iMap (base map by Google). Click and hold on map to pan. Double-click to zoom. Refresh page to update. See larger map on our Weather Wall.

Through Tonight: We're looking at a very warm evening for any outdoor plans as temperatures fall to around 80 near sunset. Last night, clouds helped keep things pretty mild. Tonight we'll have increased low-level moisture, again preventing lows from tumbling too far. Most spots should range from around 60 to the mid-60s.

Tomorrow (Wednesday): The same general air mass continues tomorrow, so the day should be rather similar. Under very sunny skies, temperatures quickly climb through the morning and rise to afternoon readings in the upper 80s and low 90s. Winds blow from the southwest around 10 mph with higher gusts. Humidity won't be oppressive, but it will be noticeable.

See Matt Rogers' full forecast through the weekend. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

By Ian Livingston  | April 6, 2010; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Easter Sunrise in Washington
Next: NatCast: As mild as a mid-summer evening

Comments

Reason #2,098,421,000 that National is not the best spot to measure DC weather.

Posted by: Tom8 | April 6, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Last week we began the soccer season at 40 degrees, wind, and driving rain. This week we're going to boil. Now all we need is a dust storm and a hurricane...

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 6, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

National has hit 88 somewhere in between hourly obs it seems.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 6, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm right behind National harbor, perhaps not as close to the river as Nationals thermometer and I have jumped from 83 at 1 PM to 88.6 at 4 PM. Dew Points are holding in the mid to upper 50's, keeping the stickiness at bay. All in all not too bad for a warm day. I wish this was how it could be for the whole summer!

Posted by: pjdunn1 | April 6, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm in Ft.Luderdale where the temperature is ONLY 76, while DC wallows with 90. Guess what the water temperature is at the beach. That's right, 76 (with sea breeze).

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | April 6, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

At least 90.3F downtown now, it may have gone higher when I wasn't looking. ugh. I NEED TIME TO ACCLIMATE PLEASE haha - I think most of you are with me? too warm, too fast? (though, ok, you'll find me not liking anything above 90 degrees no matter what month we're in)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | April 6, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Huh. I *thought* today felt a little warmer than 80 when I was putzing around at lunchtime....

Posted by: forget@menot.com | April 6, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Looks pretty warm next week again after the brief cooldown. Maybe not this extreme but we'll see.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 6, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Camden, I am definitely with you. Though change "anything above 90 degrees" to anything above 80. This is already brutal...I'll never make it thru August...

Posted by: dinergirl1 | April 6, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

DCA at 90 now with winds coming off land, IAD up to 93!

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 6, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Did Al Gore's igloo melt yet? Just kidding :)

Posted by: Finn1917 | April 6, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Was that 1929 record really taken at National, or are we going to have another it's-not-fair-since-National-isn't-even-in-DC problem?

Posted by: paperball | April 6, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

paperball, 1929 was before the move to National so we may, ha. Of course, in stretches like this you have to wonder if IAD would break so many records if they went back further.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 6, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I know this probably doesn't mean our summer will be awful, considering how cold the winter was (March aside), but um...does this mean our summer is going to be awful?

Posted by: hereandnow1 | April 6, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I saw us downtown get at least to 93.2F around 5:15pm ... it kept going up! luckily we're back down to 90.1 hahahaa

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | April 6, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

hereandnow1, it's probably too soon to say for sure. Last April we had some big heat late in the month and summer was pretty benign around here. That said, the East Coast ridge has been pretty dominant lately -- if that continues much longer I'd wonder if it will be a seasonal trend. Someone on the weather boards did a comparison of seasons with warm March and April periods and the remainder of summer. For the most part it seems that if we finish April above average we have a decent shot of having an above average summer.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 6, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info. Will Sunpocalypse be next?

Posted by: paperball | April 6, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1,
i saw your comment on that earlier thread. thanks for thinking of me in the same thought as snow... i did read through those awesome snow stats. boy, it was kind of depressing in that i realize how rare all that great (and safe and cheap...) snow was this past winter. not much chance of anything approaching that anytime soon....oh well...

also saw that earlier post about the remaining once-big snow piles. pretty gosh darn amazing given our record-setting warm march that there's any snow left anywhere.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | April 6, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Got up to 94.0 according to my thermometer. I thought it had gotten some direct sunlight and had an extreme reading, until I saw IAD had a high of 93!

I'm wondering if we'll see some strong or severe thunderstorms Thursday evening. The Midwest has been getting hammered lately.

Posted by: Sterlingva | April 6, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Not a bad day - had to find lunch in the shade to enjoy the great outdoors but not sticky and humid! Nice!
Re: acclimation - I was thinking it was already pretty warm last week but I seem to be doing better this week. (I will admit the Frappicino at lunchtime yesterday helped...) We'll get there! :)

Posted by: MKoehl | April 6, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

on the other hand, i'm golfing friday - can't do that in 16" of snow.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | April 6, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse