The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 04/ 5/2010

PM Update: Turning up the heat

By Ian Livingston

Big warmth before late-week return to near normal

* TV weathermen should re-think climate coverage *
* CWG T-Shirts | Clouds and more: Weather Wall | Get There *

We have seen plenty of warmth recently and today was certainly no exception. Hope you like it, because we're about to turn things up a little more. Temperatures are now ranging from near 80 into the mid-80s -- the warmest day in D.C. since last October 9 when National hit 85. Heading into tomorrow and Wednesday most should top the mid-80s, with a few potentially closing in on 90. I guess it begs the question if mid-80s+ is too warm for so early?

Temperatures: Latest D.C. area temperature map powered by iMap (base map by Google). Click and hold on map to pan. Double-click to zoom. Refresh page to update. See larger map on our Weather Wall.

Through Tonight: Mostly to partly clear skies continue through the evening as temperatures fall through the 70s and toward the 60s near and after sunset. A stray shower or thundershower is possible through evening but not very likely. Lows range from the mid-50s to around 60.

Tomorrow (Tuesday): Tuesday brings mostly sunny skies and very warm (or is it time to say hot?) temperatures to the area. Most spots should have little trouble getting to the mid-and-upper 80s, with some places maybe hitting 90. You'll notice a bit more in the way of humidity as well given dew points rising to near 60. Winds will be light from the southwest.

See Jason Samenow's full forecast through the beginning of next week. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

NWS and Twitter: As if there were not enough uses for Twitter, the National Weather Service (NWS) is now accepting storm reports through the service. The guidelines for use include submission standards for and without geotagging capabilities available through third party providers. Check out the newest reports at #wxreport.

By Ian Livingston  | April 5, 2010; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: TV weathermen should re-think climate coverage
Next: Forecast: Spring sunburst offers summer sizzle

Comments

I'm about to head down to the Orlando area and just want to say that I will NOT regret missing Wednesday afternoon in NoVA. So bizarre to think that the temps in Florida will be more agreeable than those in this area.

Posted by: wecndo | April 5, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

It's waaaay too warm. Starting to remind me of April 1976 when we had several consecutive days in the 90s in mid-month. But, aha!! 9 months later, in Jan. 1997, I was walking across the frozen Potomac River in my tennis shoes. So winterphiles like me, take heart.

Today is of course the second (month) anniversary of Snowmadeggon and I'm sporting my tee shirt, which is a great conversation starter. On elevators, the subway, in stores, anywhere and everywhere. If I were a bar guy, I'd definitely don this tee.

Only suggestion, CWG: when you print the Snoweclipse tees next January after we finally top 20" at DCA in a single snowfall, please include a pocket so we have a place to put our electronic gadgets.

A topic that may well have been covered hereabouts but we've had three DCA 40"-inch snowfall winters since 1996-97. From 1966-67 when I moved here from Florida, until '96-97, there was not a single DCA winter in which DCA reached the 40" mark.

I'm wondering if there is any place online to find a list of all the 40"-inches (or more) winters at the Old Weather Bureau and DCA, because three of them in 14 winters seems unusually high.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | April 5, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"I guess it begs the question if mid-80s+ is too warm for so early?"

For me, yes, since my apartment usually does not turn on the air conditioning until late April or early May. I think I won't come home until late for the next few days.

Posted by: mkarns | April 5, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"So bizarre to think that the temps in Florida will be more agreeable than those in this area."

Just as two months ago you could go to New England to get away from the snow. :)

Posted by: mkarns | April 5, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1, I've been doing some heavy snow research for the last few weeks -- basically building a database of every snow event on record back to the late 1800s. I'm pretty much done with the rough draft, though some things need verification etc. I don't have the numbers here at work with me, so I may have to return to your question, but the seasonal and monthly totals are available here. At work I run some "index" pieces related to foreign policy subjects. I am thinking of doing the same thing for DC snow as I have already pulled up a bunch of stats that are pretty neat and not easily available to the public.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 5, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm with mkarns, it's too hot, too early. Our A/C hasn't been switched yet and I live on the top floor of my building. It's going to be miserable for the next couple of nights.

Posted by: ana_b | April 5, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Too hot too early, for sure. Can't we enjoy spring before we go to summer? What's UP with this?

Posted by: freckleface | April 5, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think 82 and up is "hot." Warm can be applied to temperatures where AC really isn't required. Close to 90 means it's time to shut those windows and pull down those blinds.

Posted by: HokieTerp | April 5, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

It is hard to believe that DC will be near 90 degrees the next couple days when just two months ago we got hit with two blizzards in a row. Now if that is not a extreme weather change in 60 days then what is? Pretty cool!

Posted by: ajmupitt | April 5, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Sorry heat-lovers, but it is too hot too early. My daffodils are absolutely glorious, but a couple of near 90 degree days will blast them and the other spring flowers.

Posted by: magicdomino | April 5, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I concur with everyone else: way too hot, way too early. I am lucky enough to be able to turn on the A/C, but it's battling the radiant heat that is still emanating from the still-on radiators. Oy.

Please tell me we're gonna have some Spring before these temps are here to stay...

Posted by: dinergirl1 | April 5, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I am NOT happy about this...I, like many of you, live in a building where I don't have control over my A/C...I HATE heat...HATE IT! I cannot wait until later this week when it's cooler and I can actually ENJOY the outdoors :(

Posted by: sigmagrrl | April 5, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Both Dulles and BWI set records this afternoon. 86 at Dulles (beat previous of 83) and 84 at BWI (beat previous of 83). DCA made it to 83.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 5, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

To JerryFloyd1:

"Starting to remind me of April 1976 when we had several consecutive days in the 90s in mid-month. But, aha!! 9 months later, in Jan. 1997, I was walking across the frozen Potomac River "

I too have had 9 months that felt like 21 years :) (That would include this past winter!

Posted by: dhb2 | April 5, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Where did this come from? It IS summer already. Two rogue cells, just sitting.

The National Weather Service In Blacksburg Has Issued A

• Severe Thunderstorm Warning For...
Northeastern Appomattox County In Central Virginia
Buckingham County In Central Virginia

Posted by: dhb2 | April 5, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

It seems that every April for a couple of days, the Washington area gets to be the hottest in the country.

Posted by: beetsnotbeats | April 5, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1, to briefly return to your question on snow, here are the top 15 in chron order (which covers all 40" winters on record), and then a breakdown by range. So in short I think you're right that it's somewhat rare to see them in such a short period. As bad as many recent winters have been we've had more big storms over the period going back to 95/96 than any other on record.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 5, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow, is anyone experiencing that big thunderstorm cell in Fredericksburg right now??
Downtown here at the DC convention center, I got to 86F. ooof! who can top that?? ;-)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | April 5, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

My 2 cents:
82 degrees with dew points in the low 50's is about as comfortable as "warm" gets. Sitting in the sun is not too bad. Then, the southern stream of air starts to pump into our region and upper 80's with dew points in the low 60's is starting to feel a bit uncomfortable. Kayaking this past Saturday evening on the Potomac was nothing less than glorious. Tomorrow may feel a bit on the uncomfortable side, just short of the "oppressive" label.
Spring is yet around the corner this weekend.
PS water the potted plants.

Posted by: pjdunn1 | April 5, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Normally, I try to go as long as I can w/o turning on the A/C... but I turned mine on as it was pretty warm upstairs... I figure maybe it's good to test the system before a really hot day anyway. Also, my stinginess with the A/C probably isn't my wife's favorite thing about me...

Posted by: spgass1 | April 5, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

@Ian, thanks for providing the links, and for your work in assembling the data. So going back to '95-96, that's three 40 inch winters in the past 15 years. Wow!!

(I remember in lateish January posting here about how much this past winter resembled my first winter in Washington, '66-'67. Factoring out the late Jan. 2010 snow and Snowmageddon the patters are relatively similar. Have no idea of we had an El Nino and an Arctic Oscillation that winter.)

Very much appreciated, Ian, since I've been looking everywhere for this data. I hope Walter and some of the snowaholics like me read through this material.

@dhb2, this would not have a been particularly good winter to be in a nine-month cycle, I agree. Alas, The days of ice skating or walking across the frozen Potomac River (below the Lincoln Memorial Bridge or anywhere in the D.C. area) are long gone I don't think the NPS every allowed this again, since that Sunday in 1977 just before Jimmy Carter's inauguration.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | April 5, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or did the temp go up again? It was 78 a bit ago and now it's 82...any ideas why?

Posted by: hereandnow1 | April 5, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

March + 4.7 & April so far is +11.4, if this doesn't prove GW nothing does, after all, if 20" of snow disproved it, then all these warm temps should prove it. Where r all the people who said, I'm shoving 20" of GW. If it's good 4 1 side, it's good 4 the other.

Posted by: VaTechBob | April 5, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Camden, sorry for the late response to your post. We got some thunder in N. Central Stafford County earlier this evening along with dark clouds, but all the activity was located just to the south. I was glad to see it pass by since we had so much rain the last few weeks.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | April 5, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1, here's a comparison between 66-67 and 09-10, wanted to take a look after your comment. Both had quite large December and February periods. December totals were almost the same. Looks like it was a neutral season (after a Nino season) as far as ENSO phase.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 5, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

RAISES the question: http://begthequestion.info/

Posted by: DCLiz | April 5, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

This heat is crippling! People are suffering! The sun glare is very hard on drivers.
O.k. heat-lovers, don't get greedy...

(sorry, I just had to get back at the snow-haters, I actually am enjoying the nice weather.)

I was in Madison, Wisconsin last week and it hit 75 and 83 on March 30 and April 1. On the 30th people were walking around with long sleeves, but on the 1st a lot of people were in shorts and everyone was biking and jogging.

Posted by: celestun100 | April 5, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

In this area, I've seen it warmer than this is March, much less April. I remember an unofficial 90 in late March, but I don't remember what year it was.....back in the 1990's, I think.

I can also remember it being 5 degrees for a low around here in March......right after the big Superstorm of March 12-13, 1993.

And, yes, the poster who mentioned April 1976.....the Bicentennial year....was correct. Holy Week that year (Palm Sunday-Easter) had several days in a row where it reached the mid-upper 90s, with an unofficial 100 scattered here and there.

And remember the intense El Nino of 1983? We had strong cold fronts and snow showers (no accumulation) through April 30 of that year. That's the latest snow I can ever remember seeing around here....though the latest on record is May 2.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | April 5, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

BTW, you guys reporting thunder S of the Metro area were correct. In Vienna, where I live, you could see a large CB with a pronounced anvil off way to the south, between 6 and 7 PM. There were some good radar echoes, too, though it was not a particilarly large storm.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | April 5, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, ya'll, it's been kinda warm. But it's better than a foot of snow. And I love snow. Let's just feel the warm air (and take our allergy meds) and breathe!

Posted by: weathergrrl | April 5, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Please bring the rain and cooler temps! My allergies have been wreaking havoc with my head for the past four days straight. Ugh.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | April 6, 2010 2:50 AM | Report abuse

Ian, a belated thanks for the
66-67 and 09-10 comparative graphs. Quite interesting. (I've been away from my computer for most of the past 24 hrs and haven't had a chance to take a look until now.) Regards, Jerry

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | April 6, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1
thanks for thinking of me in the same thought as snow... i did read through those awesome snow stats. boy, it was kind of depressing in that i realize how rare all that great (and safe and cheap...) snow was this past winter. not much chance of anything approaching that anytime soon....oh well...

also saw that earlier post about the remaining once-big snow piles. pretty gosh darn amazing given our record-setting warm march that there's any snow left anywhere.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | April 6, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse