The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:45 AM ET, 04/ 7/2010

What a difference three years makes

By Jason Samenow

* Remarkable early April heat: Full Forecast *

Snow covers the ground near the Capitol on April 7, 2007. By CWG photographer Kevin Ambrose.

As we're sweating through some of the hottest April weather in recent memory, can you believe it actually snowed on this day three years ago?

Not only did it snow, but the photo above confirms the flakes even stuck on grassy areas in the District! Officially, 0.4" of snow fell at Reagan National (DCA). The high only reached 41 degrees and the low was 31 -- colder than it was in all of March this year.

The cold of April 2007 was almost as remarkable as the heat this year. From April 5 to April 11, the temperature averaged 13 degrees below normal. The highs were 47, 48, 41, 46, 48, 52, and 54 and the lows were 37, 34, 31, 29, 31, 35, and 36.

Compare that to highs in the upper 70s to around 90 since the weekend with lows mainly in the 50s and 60s.

As much as folks may be complaining about this year's heat, I think few would trade it for the conditions of 2007.

By Jason Samenow  | April 7, 2010; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  Local Climate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: April heat wave still in high gear
Next: Spring: in one day, out the next

Comments

I would

Posted by: VelocityAtrocity | April 7, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Really?? I find either (cold or hot) extreme weather highly undesirable for this timeperiod... it's spring and I want spring weather haha :-) not snow. not sweltering 90s. neither! but thanks Kevin for making us remember (the extremes are why I live in DC!)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | April 7, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Like many (most) people on this site I love the freak weather.
Just so long as it doesn't drop a tree on my house or end civilization as we know it.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | April 7, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

It's not actually that bad outside: unlike the still, muggy air of August, this 90-degree day is dry with a nice breeze blowing.

Still some good-sized piles of snow here at Goddard, btw. Can we make it to May?

Posted by: kevinwparker | April 7, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I'd trade 90 degrees for snow any time of the year.

Posted by: dinergirl1 | April 7, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

"I think few would trade it for the conditions of 2007."

Wanna' bet? ; ))