The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 05/13/2010

Forecast: Cooler today, summery tomorrow

By David Streit

Storm chance returns Fri; weekend sun & 70s!

* A few words about lightning myths | April was a sweet month *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

5An occasional cooler and cloudier day is par for the course in May.

Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly to partly cloudy. 63-66. | Tonight: Partly cloudy. 57-62. | Tomorrow: Partly sunny. 50% chance of p.m. showers/storms. 84-89. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

By David Streit, CWG Meteorologist

The next two days continue our roller coaster week of weather. Today's cooling will be short-lived as very warm and muggy air streams in from the south tomorrow ahead of a cold front. While nothing like the violent weather seen in the Plains this week, a few strong thunderstorms are possible here later tomorrow. The coaster ride then comes to an end as seasonable conditions take hold for the weekend -- perfect timing for highs in the 70s.

Today (Thursday): Yesterday's showers and storms are long gone, though the morning commute could include some fog and drizzle in spots as temperatures rise through the 50s. Otherwise, mostly cloudy skies rule much of the day with cool highs in the mid-60s at best and light winds from the east/southeast. Clouds may try to break a bit in the afternoon. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: A night out and about should be fairly pleasant thanks to light breezes from the south doing their best to keep temperatures from dropping. Under partly cloudy skies, evening readings in the low-to-mid 60s only dip to overnight lows in the upper 50s to low 60s. Just a slight chance of a shower overnight or toward morning north of the Beltway. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through Monday....

Tomorrow (Friday): Summertime returns for a quick visit as partly sunny skies and 10-20 mph breezes from the southwest warm the air. Highs head for the mid-to-upper 80s and moderate humidity raises the sweat factor. An approaching cold front sets the stage for scattered thunderstorms (50% chance you'll get wet at your location) from mid-afternoon into the evening, some with potentially strong wind gusts. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: Some showers and storms may linger into the early-to-mid evening (chances still around 50/50 for any given spot) with temperatures falling into the 70s. Winds shift to come from the west by late evening and noticeably drier air starts moving in along with clearing skies. Lows in the low 60s Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Saturday looks like a partly to mostly sunny day. Brisk winds from the northwest add a chill to morning temperatures rising through the 60s. But winds should start to decrease in the afternoon with delightful highs in the mid-70s. Saturday night lows bottom out in the upper 40s to low 50s. Confidence: Medium-High

Sunday starts with cooler morning temperatures climbing through the 50s and into the 60s, but without Saturday's winds. A partly to mostly sunny and seasonable day ensues with highs in the mid-70s. Go for a walk people! Confidence: Medium-High

Monday is another seasonable day with mid-50s for morning lows and mid-70s for afternoon highs. However, clouds quickly increase and it would not surprise me to see some showers by afternoon (30% chance) or evening (50% chance) as the next system comes our way from the west. Confidence: Low-Medium

By David Streit  | May 13, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Storms rolling through area
Next: Measuring the thickness of a lightning bolt

Comments

Cloudy, and cool sounds just fine to me. In May does this type of day really bother anyone too much? :-)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | May 13, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Wish it were a few degrees warmer.
For the basil's sake, not my own.
Now if we could somehow transfer a day like today into the middle of August......

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | May 13, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like a good afternoon to go to the driving range..

Posted by: jdwood84 | May 13, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Agree with you both :-)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | May 13, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that I think much of tomorrow's storm activity will be to our north and east.

And, yes, the 2nd cloudy, cool day this week dampens my mood. Sorry, Camden. :)

Posted by: ThinkSpring | May 13, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

This raw, cloudy stuff is DEPRESSING! I'd rather have full sunshine.

At least it's not raining...yet!

Posted by: Bombo47jea | May 13, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Well ok .. I see where you two are coming from :) but Bombo is right, it could be raining! sigh. sorry. hope your moods pick up with some sun tomorrow!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | May 13, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Are we really going to be close to 90 tomorrow as it hasn't made it to 60 yet today?

Posted by: hereandnow1 | May 13, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Does it look like tomorrow will be more of the pop-up variety for storms or a general line? Hoping that an evening baseball game gets in without delay or cancellation...

Posted by: tengoalyrunr30 | May 13, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

@tengoalyrunr30

There's a good deal of uncertainty as to how solid any shower/storm coverage would be tomorrow afternoon and evening. Enough that you might, for now, hope for the best but keep an eye on the forecast and definitely the radar as your game-time approaches.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | May 13, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I would be happy about all of these successive frontal systems, if it was WINTER! It's a real drag this time of year though, because I really hate dreary, rain-filled days.

I also hate the hail potential, because I bought a nice car two years ago, but I still don't have any space for it in my garage. I have a cover for it, but I can't keep it on for too long (The last time I did, I left it like that for three weeks, and I came home to find an ant infestation of the vehicle!). Basically, I check out the WxRadar, and if I see a real hail potential I run outside and toss the cover on, then tie it down fast.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | May 14, 2010 5:04 AM | Report abuse