The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 05/10/2010

Forecast: Cool, dry start to warm, moist week

By Jason Samenow

* Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall | Get There *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

8A gorgeous, sunny day after cold start.

Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly sunny. 65-70. | Tonight: Increasing clouds. 44-48. | Tomorrow: Cloudy with showers developing. 60-65. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Though crispness in the air today may remind you of early April or October, more seasonably sticky weather is around the corner. After a showery warm front pushes through the region tomorrow, temperatures head upwards and the humidity starts to build. Wednesday through Friday will feel much more summer-like with daily opportunities for showers and thunderstorms. Fortunately, drier air may arrive in time for the weekend.

Today (Monday): Quite a chill will greet early risers - with some temperatures in the 30s in the colder suburbs. But 60s replace those 30s in the afternoon under picture perfect blue skies. The wind? What wind? Unlike the last couple days, the breeze will hardly be noticeable, blowing from the west and northwest at around 5-10 mph. Confidence: High

Tonight: Clouds gradually increase overnight keeping temperatures up 5-10 degrees compared to last night. Lows range from the low 40s in the cooler suburbs to the mid-to-upper 40s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through the week...

Tomorrow (Tuesday): Clouds dominate for much of the day as a warm front approaches. Showers and even a thunderstorm or two are possible from mid-morning onwards, with rain chances highest in the afternoon (70%). The clouds and rain will cap temperatures in the low-to-mid 60s. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: Showers remain possible (40% chance), but mainly before midnight. Behind the warm front, temperatures hold steady right around 60 degrees under mostly cloudy skies. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Warm and humid conditions are the story Wednesday and Thursday as our region is positioned just south of a stalled front. As waves of low pressure move along this front, clusters of showers and thunderstorms may (40% chance) impact us at times (especially in the afternoons and evenings) - though a lot of the activity may stay just to our north. Highs both days should range from 75-80, with overnight lows 60-65. Confidence: Low-Medium

On Friday, a cold front is likely to move through the region. It could (30% chance) bring a shower or thunderstorm, but at this point, its main effect will probably be to shift winds from the south to from the west. That wind shift will help reduce the humidity, especially by the weekend. Highs Friday should be near 80, with overnight lows from the mid-50s to low 60s (suburbs-city). Confidence: Medium

The weekend weather looks sunny and warm - and less humid as high pressure builds in from the west. Highs Saturday should be near 75 warming to the low 80s by Sunday. Lows Saturday night will probably be in the 50s. Confidence: Medium

By Jason Samenow  | May 10, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Staying cool as winds subside
Next: Virginia AG's risky climate science investigation

Comments

Temperature and dewpoint were both 33 this morning with only the slightest bit of dew. The Front Royal park and ride lot seemed to have more dew and the Linden lot might have had supercooled dew, but I didn't get out to check. But no frostiness as far as I could see.

Posted by: eric654 | May 10, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

What a beautiful, cloudless sky today... Dulles dipped all the way down to 34, BWI 35, and DCA 43 early this morning.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | May 10, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I found it to be very refreshing to walk to work today! :D Yet did anyone else find the wind still gusty? I couldn't talk on my cell phone very easily!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | May 10, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

hi,

what is the outlook for the Orioles game Tuesday night, 7:05 in Baltimore? possible rainout?

thanks!

Posted by: apeirond | May 10, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

The wind is still far too gusty and cold for this time of year. It's just like a winter pattern. Normally from now until hurricane season gets established we don't get high winds except for the brief gusty episodes during severe weather.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | May 10, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

apeirond, I'm worried about that too, as my beloved Mariners are in town and I'm going as well. I'm hoping that the bulk of the steadier rain will be through before gametime. Still, I'm planning on finding a seat under an overhang!

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | May 10, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Big question: Why does the Washington Post wish to charge me $49 extra for part of the paper [the Capital Business Weekly] which used to be part of the regular cost of the paper?

Sounds like their ill-considered decision to cut off my weekly TV magazine a year or so ago unless I called in to have it reinstated. Now I can't get a TV schedule for Sunday [unless possibly online], and the weekday schedules cover only prime time.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | May 10, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I have to say that Sunday was one of the most beautiful days we've had all Spring, and I would love it if every Spring day resembled such.

I'm anticipating hitting the race track with my car sometime in Mid-June, so I hope that we manage to have a rather cool late-Spring/early-Summer to be honest (Junes can be that way, so I hope it manages to be so). So far May has been pretty good, and I hope it stays that way (Even fewer of the random muggy days would be nice though :-)

BTW, CWG, one location north of me, down near the Potomac in Great Falls, actually went down to at least 32 Deg. F., and may have hit 30 Deg. F. yesterday morning. I can tell that they're in a gully near the water, because they always register colder than I do. The cool nights are nice every so often, because it keeps the bug population in check, and the air clear, so you won't find me complaining about it lol.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | May 11, 2010 3:58 AM | Report abuse