The new Washington

Forecast: Warm into Sat., then windy & cooler

By Camden Walker

Gusty Sat. winds lead to much cooler Mother's Day

* 'Be air aware' this week | Tropical trouble? | NatCast *
* Temps and more: Weather Wall | Pollen, AQI & UV: Health page *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

10Grand! I usually like withholding a "perfect 10," but I love sunny and 75-80!

Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly sunny. Increasing p.m. breeze. 75-80. | Tonight: Partly cloudy. Mid-60s. | Tomorrow: Partly sunny and becoming windy. Chance of a quick shower or t'shower. 75-80. | Sunday: Mostly sunny, breezy & cooler. Low-to-mid 60s. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

A. Camden WalkerFirst off, Friday = fantastic. Saturday won't be too bad either. Just the threat of a brief shower or thundershower. Then come the winds later Saturday through Sunday. And we'll all notice the markedly cooler 60s on Sunday. Though 60s persist into early next week, the winds will subside. As for humidity, breathe easy -- except for a brief rise late tonight into tomorrow morning, lower dew points reign for the foreseeable future.

Today (Friday): I can't tout enough how great today will be: Mostly sunny skies and highs 75-80, with a light morning breeze increasing to around 10 mph from the south in the afternoon. Make sure to wear the sunscreen if staying out in the midday sun for more than 15 minutes. Confidence: High

Tonight: Skies should be partly cloudy as evening temperatures fall through the 70s with overnight lows mainly in the mid-60s. Breezes out of the south probably persist around 10mph. Confidence: High

Cooler weather coming? Keep reading for the forecast into next week...

Tomorrow (Saturday): Maybe a quick shower or thundershower during the morning into midday as a cold front comes through. Otherwise, the main attraction is the wind, picking up in the afternoon to around 20-30 mph from the west with higher gusts. The cooler air behind the front won't arrive right away. So highs should still reach near 75-80 with partly sunny skies. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: Skies go mostly clear as winds stay up, around 15-25 mph from the northwest. Temperatures fall fast -- into the 50s by late evening. Overnight lows dip all the way down to the 40s for most spots. A few of the outer suburbs could see lows in the upper 30s. Confidence: Medium-High

Sunday (Mother's Day): Get ready for more spring weather -- this time the cooler-than-average version. With mostly sunny skies, temperatures struggle toward highs in the low-to-mid 60s. Winds around 15-25 mph from the northwest will make it feel even cooler. Other than that, nothing much to say, except remember that cooler air doesn't mean lower UV readings. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Partly to mostly clear on Sunday night. Calming winds are likely with very cool overnight lows in the upper 30s (suburbs) to low-to-mid 40s (downtown) Confidence: Medium-High

After a cool Monday morning start, it may be difficult to stay in the office or cube come afternoon with plenty of sun and highs in the mid-to-upper 60s. Confidence: Medium

Tuesday should be less stellar with more clouds and eventually the potential for some showers. Highs aim for the 60s to near 70. Confidence: Low

By Camden Walker  | May 7, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Natcast: Fantastic weather to host The Fish
Next: Kids' solutions to air pollution

Comments

Two 10's in a row! (too bad I have to work).

Q: Have we ever had a zero?

Posted by: eric654 | May 7, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Hi eric654 - nope, no zeros that I recall. It has to be pretty catastrophic for a zero, I suspect :) Because we live in DC, well, it can't ever get but so bad, right? I think one of our four "blizzards" this last winter warranted a "1" rating...

I still can't believe I issued a 10! I am tough on awarding the top-end of the scale, as well as the bottom-end! two in a row, like you say.. wow.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | May 7, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I transplanted some tomatoes this week in Takoma Park -- how concerned should I be about the possibility of temps below 40? Does TKPK count as a "colder suburb"?

Posted by: r_zimmmy | May 7, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Takoma Park is hardly the suburbs.

Posted by: MKadyman | May 7, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I think I gave a 0 maybe once? I can't recall the occurance, I'll try and look back through.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | May 7, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

playing tennis saturday morning - wouldn't you know it, during the only time in the next few days with any chance of rain....

Camden,
a 9 or 10 today is justified. but re the "4 blizzards" are you kidding?!?! those warranted a "10" - perfect winter weather as i'm concerned.

Brian,
a "0" might be warranted for a 33 degrees and rainy day in winter.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 7, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Walter, you're right, I did give a 0 on Jan 17 for a rainy winter day.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | May 7, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Many thanks. My guess was freezing drizzle, but even that would have some aesthetic value, you can take pictures of it. I have not seen too many pictures of 33 degree rainy days.

Posted by: eric654 | May 7, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

i imagine on jan 17 i was grumbling something about a "what a waste of precipitation...."

hi eric.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 7, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

You all are great. Yes I would award "0" for that 33F rainy day :-) Maybe not a "10" for a blizzard though haha

r_zimmmy - if 40F is the danger zone for planting those, I would hold-off. There is more than a 50/50 chance that Takoma could see 40F one or two mornings over the upcoming 5 days. I would play it conservative and wait. I'm just a tad too nervous you could touch 40 degrees!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | May 7, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

r_zimmmy - You're in the same boat I am.
Hope that the temps don't bottom out & if your transplants are really small cover them with lightweight material overnights until the heat comes back. If your plants are pretty big & robust then I wouldn't even bother.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | May 7, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Hi Walter, I don't remember if I complained that day or not. But I know all my trees appreciated the moisture we had last winter.

Posted by: eric654 | May 7, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

silly clouds... they know to move right on through our region, right? ;)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | May 7, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I'd give many of those nasty raw, "boring-forties" and "boring-thirties" windy, rainy days we had during the "Nasty Nino" winter of 1997/98 a "Zero" rating...also a couple of the extended raw, rainy, depressing spells last spring.

For me, the Blizzard was a "Ten"...the Feds were shut down! However, any severe storm that knocks out my power for 6+ hours certainly rates a "Zero". If we had gotten hit by the floods that recently hit Middle Tennessee, that would be a "Zero" if not close...the twenty-inch Tropical Storm Gaston deluge that hit Richmond a few years back would also qualify though thunderstorm activity might have raied that rating to a "2" or even a "3".

Posted by: Bombo47jea | May 7, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I think we should downgrade the day from 10 to 9, or even 8. It's been really gusty all day. A '10' would not allow for my newspaper to blow out of my hands this morning, or for the cafe umbrella launching itself at lunch.

Posted by: ChrisDC | May 7, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse