The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 06/28/2010

Forecast: Big heat today, then big relief

By Jason Samenow

Scattered strong t'storms possible late today

* Weather Wall | Follow Alex: Hurricane Tracking Center *
* Yesterday's record high temps: BWI: 100, DCA: 99 *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

4Let's try and withstand one more day of this brutally hot stretch. It gets better starting Tuesday.

Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Partly sunny, 30-40% chance of p.m. storms. 93-97. | Tonight: 30% chance of evening storms, then partly cloudy. 68-74. | Tomorrow: Mostly sunny - less hot and humid. Near 90. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Are you ready for this heat wave to be over? I know I am. Today is the last oppressively hot 90+ degree day in the stretch that commenced 10 days ago. However, even though we cool off some tomorrow, we could still touch 90, extending the streak to 11. But I promise highs won't exceed the 80s for the period Wednesday through Friday and we'll have comfortable humidity levels. We should enjoy this hiatus, because the heat may start coming back next weekend.

Radar & lightning: Latest D.C. area radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Monday): For one more morning, if your commute involves any kind of walking outside, you may feel like you'll need a shower by the time you get to work. The humidity is quite high (dew points in the low 70s) and temperatures rapidly climb through the 80s by mid-morning. Afternoon highs reach all the way into the mid-90s (with a few upper 90s). The approach of a cold front will serve as a trigger for scattered late afternoon thunderstorms (30-40% chance), which may produce dangerous lightning, heavy rain and strong winds. Confidence: Medium-High

Thundercast:
Probability: 30-40%
Coverage: Scattered

Tonight: Storms are possible (30% chance) through mid-evening (10 p.m. or so). Then we'll have partly cloudy skies and lows from the upper 60s in the cooler suburbs to the mid-70s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

Tomorrow (Tuesday): The cooler, drier air won't arrive all at once. Rather it will trickle in, meaning Tuesday remains very warm. While it will be less humid by late afternoon, the morning remains sticky. Highs will be near 90 under partly to mostly sunny skies. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: The noticeably drier and cooler air comes in late Tuesday night. Lows drop into the 60s in the suburbs to around 70 downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

20100627_0389.jpg
Thermometer in Dupont Circle yesterday. By CWG photographer Ian Livingston.

Wednesday through Friday feel so much better. The days are partly to mostly sunny with highs in the low-to-mid 80s and the nights are mostly clear with lows in the 60s. Too bad it can't last. Confidence: Medium-High

Saturday we start the process of heating back up. Highs climb to 85-90 with humidity reaching the moderate range. Saturday night is muggy, with lows from the upper 60s to the mid-70s (suburbs to city) Confidence: Medium-High

The early take on Sunday, July 4 is that it's partly sunny, hot and humid, with highs in the low 90s. Thunderstorm chances -- at the moment --seem low - but keep checking back. Confidence: Medium

By Jason Samenow  | June 28, 2010; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Heat wave hanging tough
Next: Alex in the Gulf - oil interactions uncertain

Comments

Can we change the word "scattered" to "widespread"? I don't like to complain about the weather, but things are very dry in the valley. One way to tell is all the animals (bears, etc) are prowling around looking for food and water. Yesterday the fox spent a chunk of the morning running around (hopefully looking for a nice juicy squirrel fattened from my fruit trees).

Posted by: eric654 | June 28, 2010 6:11 AM | Report abuse

So far this summer doesn't compare to 1980 with 90+ temps and the humidity. I am not complaining about this summer. Two or three weeks of 100+ temps and dew points in the upper 70's and I still would not complain. And I work outdoors most days from before sun rise to noon and then from 4 to 6. Sheep have to moved nad looked after, hay harvested, fields bushwhacked and vegatble garden tended. My herding dogs work a lot harder than I do. I also walk my fence lines looking for problems.
After morning chores I take shower have lunch and work at my real job.

Hurricane season has me concerned with the increase in solar storms etc.

Posted by: sheepherder | June 28, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Centreville VA The rain was so close to us yesterday that we could smell it, yet nary a drop. I feel like I've watered so much that I may have tweaked the local water table. Noticed birds being much less shy about approaching me in the garden because they are desperate to get at the water.
Yeah, it's dry.
Bring in that cold front!

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | June 28, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

It's summer on the banks of the Potomac - any relief we get before September is great. CWG called that dew-point front last week; let's hope you all are right on the money again this week!

Posted by: fleeciewool | June 28, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

The 50 gal rain barrel is officially tapped! Come on TStorms!! Need ya to come through in the clutch!

Posted by: GMorg11 | June 28, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I see comments about how dry it is, and I agree. I wish we could give more hope for rain--will "see what we can do" I guess :-) I am indeed counting on this "cold" front to give us a little moisture and a little temperature relief!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | June 28, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Are we sure we won't make another run at 100 as it's already hot as blazes outside?

Posted by: hereandnow1 | June 28, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

sheepherder, I don't think we can quite start comparing to 1980 yet, it's a bit too soon. If for some reason we keep seeing this type of heat all summer 1980 may look like a cool time. ;) BTW, we are now tied with last yr's total 90+ day number.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | June 28, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I recall the summer of 98 or 99 being hot (90s)and dry ... many a storm would rumble in the distance and pass right over us. We were afraid our well would run dry so we had to quit watering the shrubs about mid-summer ...

Posted by: weathergrrl | June 28, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Spent a half-hour slowly watering the tomatoes and strawberries and flowers this morning. Read somewhere that slow is better than flooding, so I did each pot individually. The plant leaves definitely are shriveling to conserve their water stores though. A nice midday rain would be good, but I'll take the change in the weather first -- the plants need a break!

Posted by: rosilandjordan | June 28, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

oh crap...the storms are forming to our north and moving towards the east...just not our year...can't even get hit by one, except for the one that had damaging hail but hardly any rain

Posted by: rocotten | June 28, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Well, I certainly DON'T need a lot of thunder & lightning on a day I have to lug books to the Library or risk paying fines, which happen to be rather stiff in Arlington County...which is why I'm always upset about the much-needed rain crowd...these storms always seem to hit whenever I run errands but never on the days I can stay home. We do need some rain, but it would be better if it had hit yesterday or hits tomorrow rather than MY much-needed errand day!

Posted by: Bombo47jea | June 28, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Severe T-storm Watch now up until 8:00 for damaging winds and hail up to 1."

Posted by: ParkerGP | June 28, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Severe T-storm watch is up for our area. Strongest cells so far moving through Montgomery and Western Howard Counties.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | June 28, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Well, Bombo, perhaps you could have planned ahead and returned your books earlier, or return them in the early part of the day before storm chances hit.

I hope Mother Nature doesn't listen to your weak excuses about why we shouldn't get storms!

Posted by: megamuphen | June 28, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

What numbers are attached to high humidity
and low humidity? These phrases get tossed around without anyone calling out digits...me thinks, low is below 40 and high is above 60?

Posted by: patientpruner | June 28, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse