The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:00 AM ET, 06/14/2010

Forecast: Muggy Monday, modest mid-week relief

By Jason Samenow

* Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall | Get There *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

5I'm bothered we've had so much heat & humidity less than half way through June.

Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Partly sunny and humid, small chance of showers & storms. 89-93. | Tonight: Chance of showers & storms, then partly cloudy. 65-70. | Tomorrow: Partly sunny, not as humid. Slight chance of a thundershower. 80-85. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Almost half of our June days have heated up to 90 or higher, and we may add another today. We catch a break from this kind of heat for a few days mid-week, but it comes right back for the end of the week and the weekend. Will we get any rain? Like the last few days, showers and storms enter the forecast at times, but probably miss more than hit. The best chance of any activity might be tonight and late Wednesday with chances remote Thursday and Friday.

Radar: Latest regional radar shows movement of precipitation over past three hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Monday): As we head back to work, the heat and humidity stick around though the humidity is a shade less oppressive than yesterday. We'll have considerable cloudiness at times, but should have enough sunshine to get close to 90. During the afternoon, there's a 30% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: A weak cold front passes through the region, offering a 30-40% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Like the last several days, chances are better you won't see the rain than you will. After midnight, the rain threat abates, with lows 65-70 (suburbs-city). Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

20100612_9721.jpg
The sun sets near Baltimore-Washington International Airport Saturday evening. By CWG photographer Ian Livingston.

Tomorrow (Tuesday): Somewhat cooler and drier air settles in from the north so Tuesday's a slight improvement. I think we'll have sunshine for most of the day, with seasonably warm highs of 80-84. Late in the afternoon, clouds may increase as a disturbance approaches the region. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: Showers and thunderstorms are a possibility overnight (20-30%) but more likely west of the region -- closest to a disturbance heading eastbound. Lows range from the low 60s in the cooler suburbs to the upper 60s downtown. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

A disturbance and associated weak front swing through the region Wednesday, giving us our best chance of rain all week -- though it's not a sure thing at 50-60%. The most likely timing would be afternoon and evening, with variably cloudy skies prior to that. Temperatures remain seasonable, with highs in the low-to-mid 80s. Storms may linger into the evening, but then skies clear late at night, with lows 60-68 (suburbs-city) Confidence: Medium

Thursday is probably the nicest day of the week with abundant sunshine and relatively low humidity. Highs reach the low-to-mid 80s. Clear and comfortable Thursday night, with lows 58-66 (suburbs-city). Confidence: Medium

We begin to heat back up on Friday though the humidity remains in check (in the moderate range). Highs head into the mid-to-upper 80s with lots of sunshine. Clear to partly cloudy Friday night, with lows 61-69 (suburbs-city). Confidence: Medium

All indications are that next weekend become increasingly hot and humid. On Saturday we probably climb back up to 90, and possibly into the low-to-mid 90s on Father's Day. Afternoon/evening thunderstorm chances return over the weekend, but only about a 20% shot on Saturday, rising to 30-40% on Sunday. Saturday night's muggy lows probably only drop into the 70s. Confidence: Medium

By Jason Samenow  | June 14, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Heat & humidity make us sweat
Next: Thunderstorms: Fickle & capricious for sure

Comments

How was your commute in to work this morning? Still bothered by the muggy air like me? :)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | June 14, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

My bus has plenty of A/C. When it pulled in at 5:15, the windows were a bit steamed up on the outside.

Posted by: eric654 | June 14, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I actually did the unthinkable and drove my car to work. It's too hot and too muggy to have to stand around sweating waiting for a bus or the train. WHY does it already feel like fricking August???

Posted by: SPS1 | June 14, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@SPS1, you're only making things worse by driving your car in. Actually, discretionary car trips should be curbed via gas rationing, higher gas taxes, higher motor vehicle registration fees, and higher excise taxes on sales and transfer of motor vehicles. If we keep down gas prices by cutting back on car trips, we're sending Mr. Ahmedinejad and Mr. Chavez a message as well as keeping the climate cool and cutting back on smog. Please remember these folks get the money we're paying for imported motor vehicle fuels.

Rather disappointing that Wednesday is becoming a rainy day rather than a fair one, but it looks as though my two big dance nights tomorrow and Friday are still nice. The system in Oklahoma which could be giving us our weather on Wednesday seems to be "training" over Oklahoma City and giving them huge amounts of rainfall.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | June 14, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

OK...I feel the need to defend myself. Bombo, I used to commute, by car, from Leesburg to Arlington everyday. When I finally decided to buy a home, I made the conscious decision to get a smaller space within walking distance of the metro as opposed to a bigger townhouse in the outskirts. As a result, for the most part, I don't use my car to get to work. I can also walk to my stores, library, and the post office. Forgive me if I allow myself the luxury of driving on a nasty hot and steamy day.

Posted by: SPS1 | June 14, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The commute in this weather does cause pause. It is so muggy. I see a bus that has great A/C to condense windows, wow! And I have this weekend taken my first taxi in months... just to avoid a one-mile walk. I would have been drenched in sweat had I walked. So I do understand the consideration of wanting A/C in your car, SPS1 :-)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | June 14, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"Blech" does not aptly convey the disgusted, gutteral noise I made this morning when I stepped outside into this muggy mess.

Posted by: forget@menot.com | June 14, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse