The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 1:30 PM ET, 06/30/2010

How hot was it?

By Ann Posegate

Wx and the City

* Full Forecast thru the 4th | Newspapers retract climate reporting *

Hot times at the Lincoln Memorial. By CWG photographer Ian Livingston.

Now that our first official heat wave of 2010 is over, the experience begs the question: How hot was it?

It was SO hot ...
... I couldn't walk more than 10 feet without gum sticking to my shoe.
... I saw a fire hydrant chasing a dog.
... I spilled coffee in my lap just to cool off.
... I stepped off the bus and my glasses fogged up (true story).
... M&Ms melted in my hand, not in my mouth.

What were some of the serious -- and comical -- effects of the past week's heat wave on your daily life? Respond with your story in the comments section below.

It was so hot ...

By Ann Posegate  | June 30, 2010; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  Extreme Heat, Humor, Posegate, Wx and the City
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Newspapers retract faulty climate reporting
Next: PM Update: As good as the end of June gets

Comments

it was so hot it felt like a tropical rain forest

Posted by: madisondc | June 30, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

It was so hot my dead houseplant exploded and caught fire.

(and this is true - it actually happened, but not to me!)

Posted by: climategirl | June 30, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

It was so hot, the only thing I had energy to do was press F5 on the CWG website to see when the heat wave was going to end!

Posted by: LeeOnTheHill | June 30, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Ha! Good ones. I can't believe the houseplant story is true, but it did supposedly happen. Walking outside this morning to cool, dry conditions was so refreshing compared to the past week.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | June 30, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Didn't seem quite as hot as some previous summers here.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | June 30, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

It was so hot I kept losing my train of...what was the question again?

Posted by: boteyza1 | July 1, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

It was so hot...the Salahis would have refused a White House invitation.

Posted by: kayaklake | July 1, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

...last Saturday that my red hot chili pepper necklace melted to my neck!

Posted by: irishLady | July 2, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse