The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 06/15/2010

PM Update: Cooler for now, but not for long

By Ian Livingston

Storms tomorrow? Heat reloads for late-week attack

* Floods raise climate questions | Thunderstorms: Fickle & capricious *
* Outside now? Radar temps & more: Weather Wall *

Clouds and somewhat numerous (albeit mainly light) showers have helped keep things a bit cooler today. Highs mostly hit the upper 70s and lower 80s with many spots losing a few degrees as showers pass by. The rain risk stays with us tomorrow and we introduce the chance of some bigger storms late in the day. By Thursday and Friday, the heat will be recharging across the region, setting the stage for another summery weekend.

Radar: Latest D.C. area radar loop shows movement of precipitation over past three hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Through Tonight: A few more showers are possible into the evening, and again toward morning, but most of the night should be pretty dry. Lows range between the mid-60s and around 70.

Tomorrow (Wednesday): Mostly cloudy skies rule the day on Wednesday, and we'll also have to be on the lookout for showers and thunderstorms. Though we could see rain pretty much anytime during the day, the afternoon and evening should be prime targets as usual. Some of the late-day storms could be strong to severe. Highs will be limited again by clouds, but look for them to rise to the mid-80s most spots.

See Matt Rogers' full forecast through the beginning of next week. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Soccer and snow? Snow is predicted in South Africa later this week, and local forecasters are saying it may impact England v. Algeria on Friday. Though given the stadium's low elevation, the match probably won't feature flakes falling. It has already been somewhat cold and stormy recently -- snow was reported on Table Mountain yesterday into this morning.

By Ian Livingston  | June 15, 2010; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: String of floods raise climate change questions
Next: Forecast: Front, humidity spark storm chances

Comments

I think you mean, "By Thursday and Friday, the heat will be recharging across the region, setting the stage for another roasting, blazing, scorching weekend.

Posted by: ennepe68 | June 15, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

It's Table Mountain, not Table Top Mountain...

Posted by: steske | June 15, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I blame the editors..

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | June 15, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

The sub-hed "Soccer and snow?" might have been ill-advised ... Walter may be getting his snow-sculpting tools ready if he didn't read any further.

Posted by: mhardy1 | June 15, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

mhardy1, haha perhaps.. but is walter also into soccer? ;)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | June 15, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Any guesses at this point as to when you all expect the weather to start rockin' tomorrow afternoon? I have to travel to Frederick, MD tomorrow from my home in Dumfries. I'm hoping (key word) to be on the road back home by 2pm out of Frederick to beat traffic (if nothing else).

Does it look like I should try to move the departure time back an hour? Or, do you think I've made good plans as of now to beat the stormy weather? (Keeping in mind the forecast could change at any time!).

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted by: southbridgemom | June 15, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

southbridgemom, it looks like isolated showers possible in the morning through about noon, with increasing chances of showers developing in the area and/or storms rolling in from the west around 2 or so. The model forecasts are not overly impressive, though there would be potential for storms to get strong or severe. I'd probably lean toward it not being a huge deal but as has been discussed today here, convection is somewhat difficult to pinpoint before it gets going.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | June 15, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Ian, completely understand. I can handle the showers, but I prefer not to be on the roads during large hail and damaging winds (I'm picky that way!). It sounds like my plans are sound for now, but I'll be in touch with you all during the day tomorrow for changes. Sure appreciate the feedback!

Posted by: southbridgemom | June 15, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Already smells like another bust. Tomorrow probably will start off with overcast skies and promise but recent memory tells me otherwise.

Hope I'm wrong though. After tomorrow we will be looking at 90 degrees days and not even hope for rain.

Posted by: LoudounGeek | June 15, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse