The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 2:00 PM ET, 07/ 7/2010

Flashback: Five months ago, epic snow

By Jason Samenow

* Mild relief coming?: Full Forecast | NatCast | Snowmageddon t-shirts *

feb2010-two-storm-totals.jpg
Generally 20-50"+ of snow fell in the first tens days of February, 2010 across the region. Snow map courtesy Paul Kocin, adapted by CWG.

Here are some links from the vault so you can relive the magic (or the mayhem, depending on your perspective):

Blizzard warning expanded east
Buried & more coming: another 5-8 inches today
The incredible output of Snowmageddon
Measuring Snowmageddon's depth
Snoverkill beginning to arrive
Blizzard continues: Snow piles up, winds rage
Storm to depart, takes century-old record along
Region reacts to snow: Best of CWG comments

By Jason Samenow  | July 7, 2010; 2:00 PM ET
Categories:  Local Climate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reader questions on the heat wave...
Next: PM Update: Heat wave breaks more records

Comments

FIRST!! Thinking cool thoughts...thinking cool thoughts...thinking cool thoughts...

Posted by: BruinGirl2001 | July 7, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Here's how I will remember the three Blizzards/Triple Double from last winter:

Dec. 19 - T-Rex - Big and Bad (21" SE LoCo)
Feb 5-6 - Brontosaurus - Ginormous (32")
Feb 9-10- Raptor - Smaller, but nastier (10")

Posted by: DullesARC | July 7, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

The best weather week EVAH!!! Man, do I miss that snow. Can't believe it was a mere 20 weeks ago!!!

Posted by: sigmagrrl | July 7, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

That's mean - rubbing it in on the sweltering heat we're experiencing.

Personally, I'm much more concerned about the developing drought than having to suffer through the heat.

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | July 7, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

You know, it's really funny but after that first one, "Snopocalypse", I really truly was going to leave a comment on here saying "Dear CWG, Snopocalypse was the best thing that ever happened to me, when can we do it again"? But I didn't, mostly because I forgot to but also because I figured that was the storm of the century. Oh, how wrong I was.

(And for perspective, up until that very day, it was a Friday, I'd been in graduate school full time and working full time. For two solid years. Evening classes twice a week and class all day Saturday. It was pretty rough. Then, suddenly, I was done, it was nearly Christmas, I got snow which I adore, AND some much needed forced time off. It was bliss.).

Posted by: freckleface | July 7, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Flashbacks? Um, yeah, this is giving me flashbacks to the idiocy that took over much of Washington during that record snowfall. Seeing some of our conservative know-nothing congress critters like Jim Demint out building igloos and claiming that it meant global warming couldn't be occuring.

How to explain this in language that grade school-level adults will understand... Snow... not... opposite of... heat. Cold, opposite of heat. Snow opposite of drought. Snow = moisture. Cold = absence of heat. Eating lots of peaches not the same as watching few reality TV shows. Mostly independent variables, to get technical.

Oh, never mind, it's nuclear physics. Not understandable by the average Washingtonian. Sorry for the mental stress test. Carry on.

Posted by: B2O2 | July 7, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

All this proves is DC has had some of the worst weather in the nation over the last six months...

Posted by: weatherdude | July 7, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Funny we should think back about the epic snow.. I too was thinking of that a few hours ago when I stepped outside. I was thinking that we bought a big tractor with a bucket loader and snow blower attachment so we wouldn't be stuck again. I even commented here that I pretty much guaranteed that we wouldn't get this much snow again. Now I look at my lawn and too worry about the drought. My tractor has cut off 2+ hours of mowing and yet now I have dry, yellow grass. Sure, saves me hours but looks awful. Looking into your "crystal ball" what does the future hold as far as precipitation is concerned?

Posted by: worldtraveler83 | July 7, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

loved reading all the comments and stories... almost made me think to look outside my office building in NW to see blowing, drifting, and snow coming down. :)

Posted by: jrodfoo | July 7, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

These were the best posts evuh; hope it can be done again sometime soon!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 7, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Looking again at the map, didn't DCA have 31 inches of snow in Feb?

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 7, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Correct, 31 inches in the early Feb. 2010 snows. There was .2 inches, I believe, at the end of the month.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 7, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

ignore previous comments, this map was only for the two big snows, not for the much smaller one on Feb 2. but if you take the snowfall for Jan 31-Feb 10, that has to be around 38" at DCA.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 7, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Looking back at these posts, especially the comments, makes me wonder how this all happened only 5 months ago. It seems so distant from this heat! Thanks again to everyone who followed us this past winter, and we hope to see you all here throughout the summer as well.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | July 7, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Ooo, there are t-shirts? Any chance of children/infant sized shirts or onsies? My son was born 2/7/2010, and let me tell you, getting to Inova Fairfax from Reston that morning was one of the most terrifying drives ever! (I was not in labor; I was going for a non-stress test that led to an emergency c-section.)

Point is, I really, really want my baby to be able to wear a shirt that says "I was born during Snowmageddon!" From what I hear, there were a LOT of women having babies that week at Fairfax alone, so it's not like I'm the only one, either.

Posted by: BuffaloGal78 | July 8, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

@BuffaloGal78

Thanks for your interest in the t-shirts. Unfortunately, the smallest size available from the vendor we use is adult small. But we'll keep the interest in infant size apparel in mind for the future.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | July 8, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse