The new Washington

Forecast: Blistering heat takes hold

By Jason Samenow

Near 100 through at least Wednesday

* Heat advisories, watches in effect through Wed. *
* Follow CWG on Facebook and Twitter | Weather Wall *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

Closing in on 100, but humidity less than horrible.

Get the 'Digit' on Twitter

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly sunny and hot. 95-99. | Tonight: Mostly clear. 68-78. | Tomorrow: Mostly sunny and hot. 96-100. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

If you hate the heat, then staring at forecast highs near 100 for at least the next 3 days is surely painful. But maybe the fact the humidity levels - while bad - could be worse provides some consolation. Or perhaps this forecast's only saving grace is the chance of some relief by later in the week or the weekend...

Today (Monday): Picture yesterday just a little hotter and a little more humid. While the morning will be rather pleasant (especially early), scorching sunshine takes high temperatures into the mid-to-upper 90s -- with a couple isolated 100 degree readings not out the question. Winds are light offering little relief from the heat - so take it easy. Confidence: High

Tonight: Whereas the last several nights were rather comfortable, tonight is definitely muggy by comparison. City temperatures only drop into the upper 70s though the coolest north and west suburbs might still drop just below 70. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

20100704_0674.jpg
Hot conditions for yesterday's July 4th parade in the District. By CWG photographer Ian Livingston.

Tomorrow (Tuesday): As many of us head back to the office, it's brutally hot. Quite a few spots touch the century mark with moderate-to-high humidity. Once again, there will be little breeze to help matters. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: It's going to be a very steamy night, especially for urban dwellers, where lows may not drop below 80. Even the cooler suburbs fall to just 70-75. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Mostly sunny and hot Wednesday -- very hot. Highs climb to around 100 with some 101 or 102 readings very possible (which would put us into record-breaking territory). Wednesday night lows range from 70 to 80 (suburbs to city). Confidence: Medium-High

While it's not a sure bet, some model guidance suggests Thursday and Friday could see temperatures a little lower and maybe some raindrops, thanks to an upper-level area of low pressure that may be nearby. We'll call it partly sunny with highs in the 90s (both low-to-mid and mid-to-upper are in play, depending on the upper low and how much cloud cover it generates) and a 30% chance of showers and storms. Probably won't be enough rain to put a dent into our deepening rainfall deficit. Confidence: Low-Medium

A cold front moving through keeps shower/storm chances around 30% Saturday. With the front expected to clear, rain chances appear low Sunday. Highs both days should get up to around 90, with overnight lows in the mid-60s to low 70s (suburbs-city). Confidence: Low-Medium

By Jason Samenow  | July 5, 2010; 4:30 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Here comes the heat
Next: NatCast: Foul heat

Comments

CWG: I have a question. Air quality has already been an issue this year for sensitive groups, and we are headed into a few days of some unhealthy air for all.

Would you consider including air quality alerts within your forecast, or maybe a little icon (or highlighted text) indicating there may be air quality issues in parts of the metro area?

I ask because poor air quality affects many people, including children and the elderly, whose care givers need to adjust plans due to poor air. We have a code red air quality alert today (and for the next few days) for most of the region, yet there is no mention of it in the forecast. Even an alert in the subtitle linking to the NWS alert would be helpful. Not asking you all to take on another dimension in forecasting, just to alert folks that on top of the blistering heat... it'll be hard to breathe for some.

You all do such a great job, and I just see a potential improvement to a great site.

Posted by: dprats21 | July 5, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

@dprats21 - A good suggestion. When heading home from the fireworks last night, I heard that today is projected to be a Code Red day. I think I might take the kids to a spray park this morning before the heat really get going.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | July 5, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I too would appreciate the air quality info, because at times I hear it's acutally unhealthy to exercise outdoors. Either way, still an amazing site.

Posted by: novajeffc | July 5, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

So of course I just noticed the link you already have to local air quality. Not sure if that's what's being asked of you, but that's helpful!

Posted by: novajeffc | July 5, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

There's the link, but a mention of the air quality in the forecast itself might be in order, at least on Code Red days. Those who are affected on Code Orange days probably already have the MWCOG air quality site or airnow.gov among their favorites.

Posted by: jkuchen | July 5, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I, too, find your site amazing and enlightening. Just wondering if you have ever thought about including conditions from selected personal weather stations, particularly on the fringes of the metro area.

Posted by: refrep | July 5, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I did not know I had moved back home to the Gulf Coast. I will be thankful for non-oppressive humidity, try not to be outside or add to the poor air quality, and keep my water use down. Hum, sounds like a day for napping.

Posted by: johnslau | July 5, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

bring on the blizzards of 2011!

Posted by: 1968fjbb | July 5, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

What is the liklihood of serious heat, i.e., 103, 104 by Wednesday? The 99s are getting to be old hat.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 5, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

@1968fjbb, I'm with you re: the blizzards. Was trying to do a post (only the second this year, without a reference, directly or indirectly, to snow.

I hope Bob Ryan brought a Golden Snowplow to Channel 7. Golden Shovels are nice but snowplows means there's serious snow.

As for heat, was one summer (1980?) when we had back-to-back days of 102 and 103 or maybe 103 and 104. Shake and bake days.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 5, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Code Red air quality warnings should be mentioned in the forecast, and even in the express forecast emails. Also, does it seem a little odd to have a Daily Digit as high as 5 on a day that we're not supposed to spend much time outside?

Posted by: blairistic | July 5, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

(smiling) --> in agreement with others above that your site is definitely special! I will never forget the way you handled last winter and now during this record heat. Keep up the good work and God bless!

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 5, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

CWG, thanks for always having such good information. Dunno if you all will have the scoop on this, but it seems that the NWS Mount Holly, NJ is following different criteria for their "excessive heat warning." Their temps have seemed to be pretty much the same as ours during these past few heat waves and yet the NOAA map always has that area in purple, designating a different warning classification.... yeah, this is a geeky question ;-) just curious.

Posted by: dr-mary | July 5, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

dr-mary, each NWS forecast office has their own criteria for various warnings such as heat advisories/warnings, red flag warnings, winter weather advisories/warnings etc. They're all based on normal climate ranges for that particular zone. I.E. while we might get excessive heat warnings, the same temperatures in Phoenix would require none.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 5, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Let's all move to Phoenix so we won't have to worry about so many heat advisories!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 5, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Back in the midst of all the snow, I couldn't wait for Summer to arrive. Now, I'm ready for the cold again...

Posted by: Langway4Eva | July 5, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

32 days with no rain, at least with all my trees I'm usually about 5 degrees cooler than DC or downtown Fredericksburg, only 91 at 150 pm.

Posted by: VaTechBob | July 5, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Can't seem to keep rain out of the forecast for my big Friday night dance at the Elks Lodge on the 9th...though it's only at 20% from now...but we're back to a rain threat on 50% of the six-day outlook.

The worst type of rain for Friday evening would be some type of bow-echo derecho which would knock out all the power around the Elks Lodge, except for Inova Fairfax Hospital which likely has backup generators. There's some indication that a backflow off the Atlantic could cut off our heat wave around Thursday.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | July 5, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the comments everyone. On the air quality, a link to Code Red was added to the top of the post. We'll try to highlight code reds whenever they are issued. The Code Oranges, which we were linking to earlier in the season, become so common this time of year that it's not always noteworthy.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | July 5, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

@dr-mary

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Philadelphia area (covered by the NWS Mount Holly office) has some history with especially deadly heat waves. So I believe they tend to be a bit more generous and stronger with their heat warnings in light of that. Some folks out there may know more about this off the top of their heads then I do, though.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | July 5, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

@blairistic

Everyone has their own opinion on each day's Daily Digit, and we love to hear them. In fact, we just launched a new feature where every day you can vote your call for the day's digit. See the "Your Call?" link in the Daily Digit box above.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | July 5, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Since we are in the midst of the heatwave I thought we could flash back to some "colder" days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiBrmWTr4BY

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | July 5, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

How does this summer compare to the miserable one of 1999? I spent the summer here then and I remember it being awful (and also a drought then).

Posted by: BruinGirl2001 | July 5, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I already miss the good old days of last winter, & at 62 yrs old, I fear I've seen the last of the truly snowy winters. With Global Warming, yes I think it's real, last winter may be the last truly snowy winter I'll c in my life time.

Posted by: VaTechBob | July 5, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

One really good thing about this hot weather. You won't see any cops jumping out of their SUVs and pulling their guns. Can't leave that air conditioning.

Posted by: mortified469 | July 5, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Nice photo of the snow on the front page. You are great, CWG!

Posted by: celestun100 | July 5, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Don't miss the snow one bit.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | July 5, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you Ray! He(( no I dont't miss the snow!

Why do people WHINE SO MUCH?!?

IT'S JULY!

IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE HOT!!!!!!

SHUT THE HE(( UP!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | July 5, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Where is Walter in Falls Church? Can't he make an ice cube sculpture for us?

Posted by: celestun100 | July 5, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

@VaTechBob, we had 40 inches of snow in 2002-03, so the snow will come again, big time. And porpoises and other acquatic snow creatures will again swim in Falls Church. Hey, Walter, how about a sea lion next time there's a goodly snow.

As for folks who can't deal with us talking about snow and disliking the heat, some people don't like to be stir fried by mother nature. And if our saying so bothers you, you might just try chillin'.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 5, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

The apocalypse has arrived just as Al Gore's gone into hiding. Oy.

Posted by: douglaslbarber | July 5, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

One of the reasons there are heat advisories north of us and not here is it is higher dewpoints up there. See http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con_dewp.html (may need to click on dewp). Also their heat index criteria is lower in some cases (100 for Boston area, 105 for DC).

Posted by: eric654 | July 5, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

@refrep

We'd love to provide access to weather stations throughout the metro area and beyond, heck, i'd love to create a whole weather network. Unfortunately, I don't know much about them, so have hesitated up until this point. If you'd like to email me at the address at the top of the page, I may be able to work to set something up.

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | July 5, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Washington weather one of the two accepted proofs that God has a sense of humor (the other is that he invented Man.)

:-)

Posted by: Paladin7b | July 5, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

It's sure been a hard, hard winter
My feet been draggin' 'cross the ground
And I hope it's gonna be a long, hot summer
And the light of love will be burnin' bright

Posted by: blasmaic | July 5, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

To answer the question:

Hellllllll nooooooooooooooo I don't miss Snowmaggedden! I'll take summer over snot-producing, frostbiting, slip n slide "Winter Wonderland."

Posted by: nojunk4me | July 5, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I just wanted to thank you guys for this blog. I read it almost daily, particularly when we have extreme weather like last winter and now. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: bigjayray1 | July 5, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't miss Snowmageddon either, but I sure do yearn for some cooler temps and a few days of gentle soaking rains...

Posted by: natsncats | July 5, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

bigjayray1, I'm glad you are a reader & fan. Thanks for stopping by!
natsncats . what I wouldn't give for the same things! It was verrrry uncomfortable this evening. Ughh.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | July 5, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Do I miss last winter's snow and cold ? Heck no. But a few days of soaking rains would be nice now and then.

Posted by: Akabang | July 5, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

ahh...stinkerflat/rainman...beautiful video. your chanting "i'm gonna be on the weather channel" to your unimpressed, slightly embarrassed wife cracked me up! thanks.

JerryFloyd1,
done dolphins, alligator, octopus, penguins, seals and of course this past winter's shark/seal/megalodon... sea lion? we'll see...

celestun100,
soon come. i figured with 100 degrees on the way, i'd wait 'til tomorrow...

WATCH THIS SPACE

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | July 5, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

This is the worst summer ever!

Posted by: authorofpoetry | July 5, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Today's highs: BWI - 100, DCA - 99, IAD - 96

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | July 5, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

I'mm mmmmeeellllllttiinnggg!.......

Posted by: Snowlover2 | July 5, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Today I got up at 5AM for the drive from Hanford CA to Cedar City UT. On the road by 6AM.

We went through Bakersfield, Mojave, Barstow (103 degrees) Baker (also 103) and Las Vegas (near 100).

Drank lots of water.