The new Washington
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 07/30/2010

Forecast: Fantastic Friday & semi-sweet Saturday

By Camden Walker

* Record snow not due to global warming | A colorful D.C. sunset *
* Outside now? Clouds, webcam & more: Weather Wall | NatCast *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

Let's celebrate temperatures below 90! Lower humidity! Wow it's been a while since I've given a 7.

Get the 'Digit' on Twitter

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Sunny & splendid. Upper 80s. | Tonight: A few clouds. 60-65. | Tomorrow: Partly sunny. 20% chance of late-day t'storm. Upper 80s. | Sunday: Partly sunny. Possible p.m. showers/storms (50-60% chance). Lower 80s. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

A. Camden WalkerThese seasonable, average high temperatures in the upper 80s the next couple days? They will feel downright awesome. I am extremely excited, I bet you are too. We have slowly increasing chances of showers on Saturday evening into Sunday evening, and probably Monday too. By the middle of next week, we could be back into our hot regime. So enjoy it while you can!

Today (Friday): Just splendid & stellar! Upper 80s for afternoon high temperatures will likely feel refreshing to our 100-degree-hardened bodies. Boy have we acclimated. Light north winds behind last evening's cold front will continue to feed in dryer air. Enjoy this lower humidity! But also note UV will be high today underneath a clear blue sky. Lather on that sunscreen or sunblock before enjoying direct, midday sunlight! Confidence: High

Tonight: Lows could drop into the low-to-mid-60s downtown! A few clouds may insulate the normally warmer downtown areas, keeping us in the mid-to-upper 60s. But outside the Beltway will bottom near 60! Who will open their windows? I will consider it! Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast into next week. The heat's gotta return, right?

20100729_1324.jpg
Huge puddles after an early evening downpour in Cleveland Park. By CWG photographer Ian Livingston.

Tomorrow (Saturday): Warm again but with continued lower levels of humidity. Highs should again top off in the upper 80s. Winds will stay light, but start blowing from the south. There is a small chance (about a 20%) of an afternoon shower or thundershower due to a modest return of moisture. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: Showers & storms may become more numerous. About a 40% chance you see your garden watered. Low temeratures will be a little higher, in the mid-to-upper 60s for most of us. This is because of the cloud cover and light southerly breezes ushering in just a bit more humidity & moisture into the air. Confidence: Medium

Sunday: Partly sunny skies in the morning could turn mostly cloudy in the afternoon as showers/storms begin to pop. Highs should stop their climb around the low-to-mid 80s thanks to this cloud cover. The humidity increases, just keep that in mind--you won't be as comfortable. The chance of showers and thunderstorms is 50-60%. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Partly to mostly cloudy Sunday night with a continued (50%) chance of a shower or thundershower. Temperatures remain warm, near 70 downtown, upper 60s elsewhere. Confidence: Low-Medium

Monday and Tuesday may start a trend toward warmer more muggy weather. Mid-80s on Monday & then around 90 on Tuesday. There is a decent 30% chance of a shower or storm each day--so yes, remember our pattern of summer storms? It could very well return with the increasing heat next week! Confidence: Low-Medium

By Camden Walker  | July 30, 2010; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Natcast: Nice, dry, comfortable!
Next: Weather with 'attitude' - that's the point (sort of)

Comments

Happy Friday! Dewpoint in the sweet, sweet 50s, and low temp downtown here dipped below 70!? awesome. Have good commutes to work, all :)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | July 30, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

If the morning is any guide, I call for a "Nice Day" stamp. Maybe it doesn't technically qualify, but after this summer, we can grade on a curve.

Posted by: mmurphy70 | July 30, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Firday is usually my once a week rest day fron running but think I have to make an exception this week and get out and enjoy it. Feels great.

Posted by: marathoner | July 30, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Camden - With this nice weather, Fall is surely on its way, right? With that said, I was hoping you could provide your winter outlook for our area? HAHA!!! Just kidding. I know this is but a temporary weather break but August is quickly approaching and with it my hopes for Fall's arrival.

Also, I stumbled across the first Octoberfest beers of the season. They are imports and not nearly as enjoyable as some microbrews in the US but they are a sign of things to come.

Posted by: authorofpoetry | July 30, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

mmurphy70 - how about "Nice Enough Day" stamp? You are right we should grade on a curve, but CWG needs to respect the criteria for the stamp ;) But, like you, I will savor today!

marathoner - yes indeed make an exception! Great air quality, low humidity! About as good as we get in mid-summer!

authorofpoetry - indeed you zinged me. I was not sure how to reply when I started reading your comment lol. But do enjoy this brief respite. Winter this upcoming year, by the way, has very little to no chance of matching the historic record-breaking winter we just had. How about that for a prediction? ;) Also, go celebrate DC Beer Week in a couple weeks. Great microbrews to be had on H street NE.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | July 30, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Camden - Thanks for the tip!

Posted by: authorofpoetry | July 30, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

"Winter this upcoming year, by the way, has very little to no chance of matching the historic record-breaking winter we just had."

*FIREDRAGON47 bursts into tears*

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | July 30, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

FIREDRAGON47 - thems the breaks (climatologically speaking) ;-) sorry.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | July 30, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Made an exception and boy was it worth it. The sun is warm, the air clear and cool, and just a whisper of a breeze from the north. A perfect combination. Especially nice down along the river.

Posted by: marathoner | July 30, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Today is the kind of day I'm thinking - I should've skipped coming to work!

Posted by: LoudounGeek | July 30, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

marathoner - glad it was a worthwhile experience. mannn, i bet the river breeze made it amazing down on the Basin...

LoudounGeek - haha yeah I wish I had spare vacation for days like today, too!!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | July 30, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Today was only a 7, really? I think the Daily Digit Committee has been stacked with snow-lovers. :)

Posted by: vtavgjoe | July 30, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Very nice today...too bad it won't last! Will be checking on weather in the Northwoods as my upcoming Wisconsin trip Aug. 11-18 approaches.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | July 30, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

vtavgjoe - not sure.. I mean.. I like snow. Er, used to like snow until this past winter-- but I gave last week a "1" and today a "7".. quite a big jump between the two Fridays! An 8,9,10 is upper 60s to upper 70s, light breeze, low humidity, and partly cloudy (indirect sunlight) skies :-) What would you have rated today?

Bombo47jea - in what state is Northwoods? Just curious.. I might should know, but it doesn't ring a bell. Hopefully you can escape DC heat & mugginess by going wayyy north!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | July 30, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse