The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 07/ 9/2010

Forecast: Sweatin' it out... plus Sat. showers

By Camden Walker

Better weekend day: Sunday (hot but drier)

* The Rainmakers: Did they make it rain? | 100-degree record broken *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall | NatCast *
* New! - Vote your call for today's Daily Digit (see below) *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

Humid 90s aren't great. But possible drought-denting showers tonight/tomorrow have me somewhat excited.

Get the 'Digit' on Twitter

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Partly sunny & humid. Slight chance of afternoon shower/storm. Low-to-mid 90s. | Tonight: Partly to mostly cloudy. 50% chance of showers/storms. Low-to-mid 70s. | Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy & humid. 60% chance of showers/storms. Mid-to-upper 80s. | Sunday: Mostly sunny & less humid. Low 90s. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

A. Camden WalkerThe upper 90s and low 100s have departed, at least for now. Despite our slightly cooler highs the next several days -- mainly low-to-mid 90s, with a brief dip to the 80s tomorrow -- high humidity keeps the air feeling sweaty through tomorrow. At least the increased moisture translates to our first significant rain chance since June 28. If you can make it through the mugginess, Sunday offers some drier heat. But the keyword is "heat," with 90s persisting as we get into early next week. Ooof!

Today (Friday): Be happy with partly sunny and highs in the low-to-mid 90s, right? Between two weather systems -- a cold front moving toward us from the west and a small low-pressure system off the coast -- light breezes from the southeast keep the humidity up. For the second day in a row we should have some clouds around rather than the mostly clear skies that accompanied our recent extreme heat. But the shower/storm chance through afternoon is about 20% at best. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Skies turn partly to mostly cloudy, and shower and thunderstorm chances increase toward 50% or so. That's right, a legitimate chance of seeing some wet stuff tonight! (I am a little excited. I feel parched). Check back later today to see if we can pin down the likelihood of rain arriving early enough to affect evening activities. Lows fall mainly to the muggy low-to-mid 70s. Better than the low 80s earlier this week downtown. Confidence: Medium

Any more 100s coming? Keep reading for the forecast into next week...

Tomorrow (Saturday): A cold front in our vicinity brings good news for our drought worries -- a solid (60%) chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly during the mostly cloudy morning into early afternoon. Highs should reach the mid-80s. Maybe mid-to-upper 80s if skies brighten in the mid-to-late afternoon. Still with that typical mid-summer muggy feeling. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: Keep that A/C on despite passage of our cold front. Lows may only drop to the upper 60s to low 70s in the suburbs, and low-to-mid 70s downtown. Skies start to clear a bit and humidity slowly drops. Confidence: Medium

Sunday: Mostly sunny skies, lower humidity and a lack of extreme heat combine for the nicest day we've seen in a while. Though we're still talking pretty hot with highs around the low 90s. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Mostly clear Sunday night with mugginess starting to come back again. Temperatures remain un-cool with lows in the upper 60s to low 70s in the suburbs and low-to-mid 70s downtown. Confidence: Medium

Monday continues hot and increasingly humid with partly to mostly sunny skies, highs probably in the low-to-mid 90s, and a small chance of afternoon/evening showers or storms. Confidence: Medium

Tuesday may see more clouds, but highs still aiming for the low-to-mid 90s and humidity likely higher. Afternoon/evening shower and storm chances could creep up to around 30-40%. Confidence: Low-Medium

Updated: Fri. July 9 @ 4:30 p.m.

By Camden Walker  | July 9, 2010; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NatCast: Warm, humid and small shower chance
Next: A deadly combo: heat, cars and kids

Comments

Got 0.2 inches last night about 11:30, the sound of rain was so novel it woke me up. With this storm movement out of the NE, we can often get a little more lucky west of the Blue Ridge.

Posted by: eric654 | July 9, 2010 6:23 AM | Report abuse

eric654, so you must be near the valley and got a few drops out of that cell last night that moved from near Hagerstown down toward Staunton? Quite neat to see that one, lone cell move from NE to SW along the spine of the Blue Ridge :)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | July 9, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

CWG - Please help me to understand how in the heck the Planet Earth stole Planet Mercury's summer! This has been the most insane summer I can remember in quite awhile.

Posted by: authorofpoetry | July 9, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Camden, I'm SW of Front Royal. I only watched the earlier storms on radar, so I can only guess what the later storm did (it was 11:28 when I looked at the clock, I listened to the rain a bit and fell back asleep). But I assume it moved the same way. The Blue Ridge can kick up a storm or two but usually those head E and hit the DC suburbs.

Posted by: eric654 | July 9, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

authorofpoetry, I do like your metaphor and good use of hyperbole! I agree it has been way too hot. It has felt like Mercury to me as well :-) Can I blame La Nina? The waters in the equatorial Pacific are running a little cooler than average. It can be loosely connected to east coast U.S. high pressure blocks forming and pumping in hot, muggy air into our region.

eric654, ah there was a later storm. Got it. I must have been offline. You are right about their normal direction. It was interesting to see them retrograde last night. Another symptom of our crazy weather pattern! ;)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | July 9, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice the sky is quite blue today in between the clouds? Nice (well maybe not that nice!) Atlantic tropical air.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 9, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@Ian, yes the sky was a lovely blue although the clouds are moving in.

It was so (comparatively) cool when I was walking around downtown in shorts and a tee at midmorning that my teeth were chattering.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 9, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Yes, feels and looks very tropical out there today.

Posted by: rwalker66 | July 9, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Really it doesn't seem that much hotter than some of the Washington summers of the 1980's and 1990's. In 1988 it was 104 degrees both here and in Wisconsin while I was on vacation there. The worst heat wave I can remember was circa 1981. That year we had 100+ temperatures over Labor Day weekend, and for two or three days after Labor Day. This type of heat seems even nastier in early September than it does in mid-July when we're expecting it. The August heat waves are also seemingly harder to bear...you begin to notice that the days are getting shorter, then start wondering why it's not getting cooler.

Since I may have a ride to my dance tonight, the rain may not impact me that much if it hits. There seems to be a nice band of showers moving toward us from the east...it may reach us aoa 3 PM if it holds together. "Tropical" showers/thunderstorms from the east are rare, but not unknown in the type weather setup we now have.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | July 9, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

CWG: Any sense of when during the day tomorrow the showers/storms will arrive in NoVa/DC? I have an outdoor thing around 10, and it is starting to sound like prime time for the rain. :-(

Posted by: CarefulNervousMotherDriving | July 9, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys,

I know we are a week away, but how does the weather look next Sat/Sun, I have a wedding to attend and am hoping for dry weather!

Thanks!!