The new Washington

Forecast: Relentless heat & no sign of relief

By Jason Samenow

* Blizzards, heat waves... earthquake? | Storm that saved D.C. *
* Outside now? Radar, lightning, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* Consec days of 90+: 4; Total 90+: 34 (Apr, 2; May, 3; Jun, 18; Jul, 11) *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

Dehydrating heat & humidity. Drink lots of H2O.

Get the 'Digit' on Twitter

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Partly sunny, hot, and humid. Slight pop up storm chance. Mid-90s. | Tonight: More mugginess. 72-78. | Tomorrow: Partly sunny and sultry. small chance of p.m. storm. Around 95. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

I am tired of being annoyed about this heat and humidity so I've come to just accept it. We all should for our collective sanity. This offensive weather pattern is essentially locked in for at least the next 5-7 days. That means a continuation of 90+ days, high humidity, compromised air quality, muggy nights, and the occasional late day or evening storm risk. Think about it this way: we're becoming pros at this...

Today (Saturday): It's a scorcher, just like yesterday. A few more clouds may result in highs a degree or two cooler but most of us won't notice a difference as highs reach the mid-90s. Can't rule out a late day storm (25% chance). The last couple days showers and storms have popped in the immediate metro area despite such low odds - maybe making up for earlier stretches when we couldn't buy a drop of rain.Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: What can I say except that it's going to be a muggy night with lows ranging from near 70 in the cooler suburbs to the upper 70s downtown? Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast into early next week...

20100716_8648.jpg
Bank thermometer overheats in the sun in Dupont Circle yesterday. By CWG photographer Ian Livingston.

Tomorrow (Sunday): This forecast looks exactly the same as the forecast for today (Saturday) -- hot and humid with mid-90s. I think the chance of rain is slightly less perhaps closer to 15-20% rather than 25% - primarily because the boundary that would serve as the trigger for any storms will be just to the south. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: Just your typical sweaty Sunday summer evening-- lows fall to the lower 70s in the cools spots with mid-to-upper 70s everywhere else. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Monday and Tuesday we're stuck in the same pattern. This means highs in the low-to-mid 90s both days along with uncomfortable levels of humidity. Thunderstorm chances stay in the picture both days with slightly higher odds Monday (25-30%) compared to Tuesday (20%). Confidence: Medium

By Jason Samenow  | July 17, 2010; 5:10 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Dog days heat and humidity
Next: UnitedCast: Seriously warm soccer

Comments

It's difficult to accept this heat day after day. Even going to an evening Potomac Nationals ballgame last night left us all drenched in sweat.
The only thing I'll be looking at today is if those storms from the West give us a quick soaking.

Posted by: bodyiq | July 17, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I need a summer break from summer! :-/

Posted by: sigmagrrl | July 17, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I've lived in south Florida and I've lived in northern Michigan but I've never lived in a more miserable place weather-wise than the DC area. Dreary winters punctuated by blizzards and summers where you can't spend time outdoors; autumns and springs with just a few don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-it decent days. Outta here when the time comes. (P.S. I'll take northern Michigan, winters and all. Summers are sublime.)

Posted by: faygokid | July 17, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

aside from a two-day break two weeks ago, the heat has been relentless since may. any idea on whether the heat wave that began in may has ever lasted this long? mid july is usually like this, and so is much of august. seems we may end up with a four month stretch of unbearable heat.

Posted by: jaymewhite | July 17, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Hey, all you summer lovers, hows this hotty/muggy thingy workin for ya? Give me a week of snow anyday...lol

Posted by: ftwash | July 17, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who has lived in a place where this is constant for months on end (Houston for example) can make it through six weeks of DC summer. I shoveled the snow and enjoyed the winter AND this weather is the balance to that. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Me, I will savor the heat for when I am without power for two days during a snowstorm!

Posted by: erbele | July 17, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Hey all, I like the opinions and debate on our DC weather! We are experiencing a record-length.. record-warm.. summer so far. We'll make more confident conclusions in September of course. And while Houston can have higher dewpoints than DC and the Gulf Coast humidity is relentless... I think we can all deservingly complain about DC summer this year ;) my humble, melting, opinion.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | July 17, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

After the incredibly miserable winter, I, for one, am enjoying the heat. It's nice to not have to put on several layers of clothing just to keep from shivering so much you can't function.

If I could get out of here before next winter, I would.

Posted by: epjd | July 17, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Before AC anyone who could fled the DC area summer to the mountains or the seashore. Those seem like appealing options right now!
Hang in there. Enjoy the fresh produce & the pool.
Before you know it we'll be scraping frost off the cars.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | July 17, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Just heard this morning that only 0.01 inch of rain was recorded.

Well, I was at the Dulles Hilton for the dance last night, and that's gotta be the WETTEST hundredth of an inch I've ever seen!!! On the way home from the dance, we went through 2 or 3 heavy downpours, one lasting 15 minutes or more! There was bright, vivid lightning all around. Thought for sure that this was a cold front coming through or something. Funny that everyone around here is screaming for more "much-needed" rain. Just go to one of our swing dances, and you'll likely get a flash flood for the effort!

Posted by: Bombo47jea | July 17, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Last night was one of those times where an isolated storm seems like much more because it hit one of the more concentrated parts of the population around here. Nice lightning though in NW DC, too bad I was out! The past week has been good on that front at least.. I could go for hot days continuing if we can get storms at night with some regularity. I actually like D.C. climate quite a bit... the heat gets old eventually but most weather types do when you get them for a while. Spring is often short, but fall is usually brilliant.. in my time here at least.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 17, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@ftwash : Washington is the hotbed of partisanship, but judging by these comments and the comments from last winter's snowstorms, we Washingtonians are staunch moderates when it comes to the kinds of weather we prefer. Our weather presidential candidate would be a flip-flopping, middle-of-the-road, doesn't-take-a-stand-on-anything, sunny 60-degree day. A partly cloudy John Kerry. Yeesh.

Posted by: kolya02 | July 17, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

WHAAAA! RICKY!

Posted by: AxelDC | July 17, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I love this weather. would take this over winter any day... So keep it up, mother nature! I paid my dues for the next several years with last winter.

Posted by: rumbly45 | July 17, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Interesting to see people so annoyed at the heat, when they have A/C to retreat into. Our air conditioning has been out for several days now. We're getting along okay. You adjust. People lived like this for thousands of years, remember? In worse climates than this.

Posted by: B2O2 | July 17, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

It's not too hot to grill some yummy burgers tonight! A cold gluten-free beer to wash it down is all I need.

Posted by: --sg | July 17, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I know that it's not cool to say you "believe in" global warming on this site, but I do, and further I've come to believe that hurricanes will be our relief in terms of precipitation.

Posted by: sugarstreet | July 17, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I think I could handle this if I knew we would have a nice, cool Fall. Is there anyway this relentless heat will last into the Fall, or will we finally get a break by September?? It would seem after being above normal weather-wise since April/May, the pattern would have to change at some point!!! Can you be in a hot, above normal pattern for over 6 months???

Posted by: CJWill1 | July 17, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

A nice, cool fall would be so welcome now! But even the fall months can be hot. I was in Scotland a couple years ago (where yes, it was nice and cool in October) and came home to 90+ degree heat. Ugh!

Posted by: natsncats | July 17, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Feb is the only month this year that has been cooler than normal at DC. Though we'll gradually lose the intensity I would expect fall to be pretty warm. Winter may be warm too. At least we shouldnt have many 90+ in winter..

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 17, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

BTW, the average high this summer (June 1 thru today) is 90.5 at both DCA and BWI. Warmer than our hottest avg high of the summer (right now, 89).

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 17, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

@Bombo47 -- for once, there was a storm just for DC. Michigan Park got heavy rain for 30 minutes+ past midnight and a lot of thunder and lightning.

We're still down on rain for the year, so please keep dancing.

Posted by: kperl | July 17, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

>We're still down on rain for the year, so please keep dancing.

Any Morris dancers here? Can you dance for rain and cooler temperatures?

Posted by: Murre | July 17, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

As someone else here said, DC has nothing on Houston/New Orleans when it comes to heat and humidity. At least this part of the country believes in AC -- if this were in Boston, I'd definitely be unhappy. Instead, I'm enjoying the lush crepe myrtles in bloom, a late afternoon/early afternoon magazine read on the back porch, and the satisfaction of getting properly sweaty while doing yard work. Lazy hazy days of summer...

Posted by: rosilandjordan | July 17, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Well as far as I'm concerned, drenched and blinded by sweat as I do yard work is not really "proper" and code orange air is a sorry substitute for the crystal clear blue skies of a winter day. Put me down for scraping frost of the window. I was hoping to see more of walter's snow sculpts next year but I'll bet even he has melted by now.

Posted by: manassasmissy | July 17, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

And here I was sitting out on the deck saying, it's such a nice night! Nicer than last night, which was waaaay too humid. Gotta breeze midday and the wind seemed to switch a bit to make it less humid than it has been, but granted, the heat was still on. Once the sun went down, it was okay ... still, would love a summer like last summer ...

Posted by: weathergrrl | July 17, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse