The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:45 AM ET, 07/ 6/2010

Forecast: Super scorcher today and tomorrow

By Matt Rogers

Heat wave retreat possible by Thursday

* Heat Advisory in effect through Wed. | Live chat at 2 p.m. *
* Code Orange air quality | NatCast | Temps & more: Weather Wall *
* Record watch: DCA: 103 (1999), IAD: 102 (1977), BWI: 101 (1999) *
* More local weather news & impacts: Post Local | Cooling centers *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

Dangerous heat levels and slightly higher humidity can't be a good thing.

Get the 'Digit' on Twitter

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Super-hot, but sunny. 98-102. | Tonight: Mostly clear and warm. 72-80. | Tomorrow: More hot sunshine. 97-101. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Our brutal broiling heat wave is forecast to continue today and tomorrow as big high pressure delivers a pressure-cooker pattern to the area. Humidity levels will not be severe, but they are slowly increasing each day. If there is any good news to be found, it looks as though that super hot upper level high pressure area could start breaking down sooner than expected, meaning that Thursday and Friday could see about a ten degree pull back on high temperatures along with increased chances for thunderstorms.

Today (Tuesday): The strong summer sun dominates the day and highs again soar into the upper 90s to low 100s throughout the area. Air masses like these in the summer gradually get hotter each day, so most areas could gain a degree or two compared to Monday's levels. But like yesterday, please be careful in the dangerous hot weather by avoiding strenuous outdoor activities, and of course if you're out there, stay hydrated. Winds are expected to be light and variable. Confidence: High

Tonight: A hot evening and warm overnight period is expected under mostly clear skies. Lows should range through the 70s with the low end of the range in the outer suburbs and the higher end toward the heat-retaining city -- which may not drop below 80. Winds should again be light and variable. Confidence: High

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

Tomorrow (Wednesday): Hot, hot, and very hot. And slightly more humid. Highs should again soar into the upper 90s and low 100s. Wind should again be light and variable. And again, no precipitation is expected around the area. Confidence: High

Tomorrow Night: Partly cloudy and muggy with lows through the 70s (warmest again in the city). Light winds should mostly start coming from an easterly direction. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Thursday and Friday should see significantly more cloud cover compared to earlier in the week with a chance of especially afternoon thunderstorms. Right now, I'll forecast a 40% chance on Thursday with a 30% chance of storms on Friday. Highs should be in the low 90s both days with lows in the 70s. While we won't be at the severe 100-degree daytime levels, there will be higher humidity, which will make the overnight periods especially more muggy. We'll all be watching the radar for (thunderstorm) relief. Confidence: Low-Medium

The weekend currently looks to pull back on temperatures a slight bit and we'll at least continue the chances for heat and dryness relief in the form of afternoon and evening thunderstorms. Highs should range from the upper 80s to the low 90s with lows in the upper 60s in the suburbs to the low-to-mid 70s in the city. Precipitation chances are running about 30% each day, but we'll need to watch those details closely as the weekend approaches. Confidence: Low-Medium

By Matt Rogers  | July 6, 2010; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NatCast: Foul heat
Next: Thinking cool thoughts during the heat wave

Comments

Hi avillmai, how about this hot weather eh? That cool shot button should come in handy today.

Posted by: eric654 | July 6, 2010 5:24 AM | Report abuse

"...or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam."

Posted by: Murre | July 6, 2010 5:38 AM | Report abuse

This 100+ that's predicted for the area could be the hottest temperature I've experienced since July 3 or 4, 2002, when it was up to 105 in southern Virginia.

And apologies for my other post, I tried to kill it but it was too late.

Posted by: Murre | July 6, 2010 5:44 AM | Report abuse

+1 for the Monty Python reference. Too hot to cheer anything else. Oh, and death to spammers.

Posted by: mensan98th | July 6, 2010 6:00 AM | Report abuse

from last winter:
ooohhh....that's cold....

stay cool....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | July 6, 2010 7:01 AM | Report abuse

I don't even want to think about what August is going to be like this year...

Posted by: ThinkGreen | July 6, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Why are there consistently differing/ conflicting temp forecasts and "official" temp stats from the Post? Take today's print Metro section.

The headline for the heatwave article notes the temp Monday was 97, the article itself says 98 at DCA and 98 at BWI, while the data on the weather page indicates the official temps were 99 for DCA and 100 for BWI. I know it's not the end of the world, but where's the desire for accuracy? What was the actual high temp yesterday at DCA?

Posted by: Russolini | July 6, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

@Russolini

Highs yesterday were 99 at DCA, 100 at BWI, and 96 at IAD.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | July 6, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Yes, ThinkGreen, I'm worried about August as well. Usually when we have a developing La Nina in the Pacific, we tend to have very hot summers and August is usually right in the middle of it. Ugh.

Posted by: MattRogers | July 6, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

matt,
but july is statistically the hottest month, right? what's the hottest day of the year, on average?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | July 6, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

i'm sure there's a better graph somewhere, but i found this:

and

seems like the hottest days are around july 22nd or so.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | July 6, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

That's right, Walter, the third week of July is our climatological peak of the summer. But unfortunately, we tend to get a lot higher humidity in the second half of the summer (into August) compared to the first thanks to our summer "friend", the Bermuda High.

Posted by: MattRogers | July 6, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

booo, I hate friendly Bermuda high pressures. and... La Nina for that matter ;)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | July 6, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Hey Walter, how about this http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/climate/cliplot/KDCA2010plot.png

For people wondering why my first post seems like gibberish, it was early, eating my breakfast spam and wasn't quite awake yet.

Posted by: eric654 | July 6, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Are we doing a contest for high temp guess at all three airports? Winners get a can of (virtual) Spam ....

Posted by: weathergrrl | July 6, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Another discrepancy is the air quality alerts. I heard yesterday that the Metro council of governments warned of code red for every day til Wednesday. I looked on their website and there was nothing. This morning the radio station (WTOP) said it would be Code orange today. What is it?

Posted by: jojo2008 | July 6, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

@weatjergrrl

I'll take a crack: DCA-100, BWI-101, IAD-99. Jason, CWG

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | July 6, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I hope everyone is doing a raindance. And not just for storms. A real soaking rainy day. Any of those in the near future? We sure could use it!

Posted by: dstu | July 6, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

@jojo2008 - It's code orange--per link at top of this post.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | July 6, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

What is everyone doing to stay cool? Any new tips out there?

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | July 6, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

A note for those now back on the blog from the holiday weekend. We've launched a new feature allowing you to vote each day on your choice for the Daily Digit. See the "Your Call?" link in the Daily Digit box above.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | July 6, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

@ann (What is everyone doing to stay cool?)

Quoting Monty Python.

On topic: DCA 101, BWI 102, IAD 99.

BWI FTW.

Posted by: ennepe68 | July 6, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

This is just awful; I detest this weather!

I guess it would be slightly more bearable if it wasn't so DRY. Everything is scorched. The eastern parts of the metro area have been upgraded to Moderate Drought status, and everywhere else is Abnormally Dry. Except in Bombo's alternate universe, we are definitely in a drought.

Off to Mobile, AL for client meetings, where it's RAINY and, if we can believe this, COOLER than up here!!

Bring on RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of it!!!

Posted by: TominMichiganParkDC | July 6, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Moment of Zen: Today is aphelion, when the Earth is the furthest from the sun in its orbit. I feel cooler already!

Posted by: imback | July 6, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

nice graph eric my favorite part is how the dark green (snow) goes right off the top of the chart!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | July 6, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

My call: DCA 102, BWI 102, IAD 100.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 6, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Thank heavens we are only getting 3 days of this silly heat, as opposed to the entire week originally forecasted. It's "silly" as humidity is still manageable. Was out playing at Pleasant Valley yesterday. It was hot but during a smothering stretch last August I wouldn't even venture out unless it was 6 in the morning.

Now can we get a nice storm ???

Posted by: LoudounGeek | July 6, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, those were the days (Feb). What it interesting to me on the chart is how the record high/low temps compress in the summer and expand in the winter, while the normal high/low does the opposite especially spring/summer. The latter I can explain with longer days and higher sun angle. The former I have no ready explanation for.

Posted by: eric654 | July 6, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm game: DCA: 100 BWI: 103 IAD: 101

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 6, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

DCA already 97.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 6, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

**************THIS JUST IN**************

90-100 DEGREE DAYS ARE NORMAL FOR THE MONTHS OF JULY & AUGUST!

STOP WHINNING ABOUT THE HEAT!!

If we ever have a 100 degree day in JANUARY then I'll be alarmed!

So again, will all of you babies please

STOP WHINNING ABOUT THE HEAT!!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | July 6, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

How about predicting the mins tonight too. Last night was DCA: 77 BWI: 75 IAD: 69

Posted by: eric654 | July 6, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

whatyoutalkinboutman, While it is hot here in the summer, heat like this is not terribly typical.. maybe a once a yr thing on average. 24 (about 1/5th of all) summers on record have had 2 or more 100+ at DC with only 10 at 3 or more.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 6, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

BWI still leading that pack at 99. Yesterday, it was 94 at this time and had a high of 100. Doesn't mean we'll get to 105, but that record high is definately in jeopardy.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 6, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I still remember all those people who got upset when us snow lovers were doing the snow happy dance. Well, today IS an alternative. Enjoy!

Posted by: Rcmorgan | July 6, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I plan on leaving work, turning the AC down to 64, putting in a DVR of a Redskin's game, and drinking a Sam Adams Octoberfest that I have been saving since last fall. I might even indulge in some store bought pumpkin pie.

Posted by: authorofpoetry | July 6, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Is tomorrow suppose to be a smidge "cooler" than today as I always thought that each day of a heat wave grew progressively hotter. Not that I have any idea how we can actually get hotter than it is outside right now.

My next question is this - in terms of heating up for the day, how do we jump 20 degrees in a few hours but are only expected to go up another 5 or 5 degrees over the remainder of the day?

Posted by: hereandnow1 | July 6, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

100 at National... at noon! Some clouds around now, but damage done..

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 6, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

104 at national 104 at bwi 101 at dulles

Posted by: samd95 | July 6, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

whatyoutalkinboutman,
kinda reminds me of people complaining about the snow in winter.... but, one thing to keep in mind is this is a WEATHER blog.... what do you expect us/them to talk about?

not wishing any ill will here (heart attacks, breathing problems, frostbite, power outages, etc...), but i'm of the mind that we should revel in weather extremes - they're kind of fun. while i'd say about 85 degrees and sunny would be my "perfect" summer day, i'd get kind of bored with that everyday - and there'd be nothing to talk about. you couldn't have a blog like this in beautiful, sunny, boring san diego. viva les extremes.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | July 6, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Perfect weather for watching the World Cup and Tour De France. :)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 6, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

DCA slipped from 100 (with a north wind) to 99 (with a variable wind). They are next to the relatively cool Potomac.

Posted by: eric654 | July 6, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I am eyeing the pool wistfully, but it's too hot to do more than take a dip, then come back inside. Sitting out there and reading is out of the question. It’s so hot that when I go to the pool, I can roast marshmallows on my belly.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | July 6, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

104 at BWI wow

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 6, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

In a different conversation topic, has anyone experienced blackouts or power outage blinks? I have two reports in DC of such. Yet while I am not positive it is related to heat-driven energy consumption, I am a tad worried. LOOK AT THE HIGH TEMPS TODAY ALREADY! wow. Gosh I hope I can avoid going outside until at least 630pm lol. Yes agreed with all of you staying inside and watching games or TV :-) I hope to do the same tonight, since our downtown low temp may only briefly dip to 82F! (my prediction)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | July 6, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | July 6, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I moved up to the North Shore of Boston last September to get away from the heat of Northern Virginia and here it is up here, 85, dry, clear and breezy. Hardly what I signed up for. Plus, you down in Washington got twice as much snow as we did up here. I may have missed out leaving last year..

Or escaped just in time.

Posted by: JamesChristian | July 6, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

JamesChristian,
let me get this straight: are you complaining about "...85, dry, clear and breezy."?!?!?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | July 6, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I will take 3 feet of snow and 20 degrees any day over this miserable heat.

Posted by: DCFanatic | July 6, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Give me a good old Washington heat wave anytime. Hey folks, it's summer in Wash-after all , Wash was built on swampland and during colonial times, it was considered a "hardship" post. Stop complaining and crank up your AC. To me , as a kid,those hot nights were the best

Posted by: arlingtonian6 | July 6, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

My call: DCA 102, BWI 102, IAD 100.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 6, 2010 10:32 AM

2 for 3... should have known BWI would crush us as it has all summer so far.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 6, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse