The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 7:40 AM ET, 07/16/2010

I felt it too: Earthquake information...

By Jason Samenow

* Heat advisory today - will feel like 100-105: Full Forecast *

quake.jpg
A compilation of this morning's earthquake report from the U.S. Geological Survey. Graphic adapted by CWG.

I thought the rumbling propagating through my house around 5 a.m. was either the air conditioner or a truck passing through the alley. But it was a legitimate earthquake - the strongest on record (since 1974) in the immediate area.

PostLocal has comprehensive coverage of this morning's 3.6-magnitude quake that was centered in Montgomery County near Gaithersburg.

More links:

Mild Earthquake felt across area

At 11 a.m.: Live Q&A with USGS expert

Map: Tell us how you felt it

USGS validation of quake

By Jason Samenow  | July 16, 2010; 7:40 AM ET
Categories:  Environment
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Another heat wave beginning
Next: Forecast: 90s here to stay, again

Comments

We were rumbling up in Howard County too. I thought it was a plane taking off from BWI at first, then I noticed my bed was rumbling. What a way to start off a Friday!

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 16, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Well, that's it. DC-MD-VA has officially had the most bizarre year of "weather", to use the term loosely, possibly ever. What's next? a Category 4 hurricane?

Posted by: SWester2010 | July 16, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I woke up and knew pretty quick what it was having been born and spending my first yrs in California. Checked USGS and didn't see anything right away .. decided sleep was more important but briefly thought about the structural integrity of buildings here and if a doorway or outside would be best should a bigger one hit. ;)

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 16, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

My two year old son was the only one to sleep through it. We live in Rockville and my 5-year old daughter woke up at the same time we did. We told her it was a low-flying plane (she gets scared easily). I knew it wasn't a thunderstorm because of this amazing weather blog I read everyday. Once we had the mini-aftershock ten minutes later, I knew what it was. My wife told me I was wrong. Do you know how good it felt to tell her I was right? First time in 8 years!

Posted by: authorofpoetry | July 16, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Interesting coincidence - the day after BP seals the oil leak...perhaps it 'twas all that oil running back through the tectonic plates!

Posted by: SWester2010 | July 16, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I woke up and felt it and recognized it as an Earthquake from my time in Japan.

However, I promptly decided I must have been dreaming and went back to sleep because NVA doesn't HAVE earthquakes.

Posted by: Megaduck | July 16, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Gaaah, I missed it! I'm on my days off, and slept right through anything we may have felt in Loudoun County.

Posted by: natsncats | July 16, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Slept right through it. Feeling a bit cheated to have missed the excitement (especially since this one seems to have been pretty much harmless, from all reports, so if one was to experience an earthquake this was a "good" one to have it be).

Posted by: forget@menot.com | July 16, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

@SWester2010 - If the locusts come, I'm gone.

Posted by: vtavgjoe | July 16, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I am in Montgomery Village MD. We totally felt the earthquake. Glasses rattling /house shaking. Wow!

Posted by: soleil2000 | July 16, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Didn't feel it in Huntington. Not even my cat batted an eye...

Posted by: ajfroggie | July 16, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh now I understand why I didn't realize the quake was happening...I sleep with earplugs in and a fan on! However, that doesn't explain why I didn't feel the shaking, especially since Ian and Camden did and they live pretty close by. Hmm... Anyone else in Woodley/Adams Morgan/Dupont feel it?

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | July 16, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Ann, I feel like I was probably alerted by the noise and then felt the end of the shaking.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 16, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse