The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:15 PM ET, 07/13/2010

PM Update: Showers and storms again tonight

By Ian Livingston

Warm-up begins tomorrow, hot end to week

* Flash Flood Warning til 5 am for DC, Fairfax & Mont co (more below) *
* Flash Flood Watch from 6 p.m. thru late night (map) *
* Ball lightning: real? | NASA eyeballs Greenland glacial melt *
* Outside now? Radar, lightning, temps & more: Weather Wall *

Live NWS warnings & CWG alerts
Fed by CWG's @dcWeatherAlerts. See warning map and radar below.
Full warning text: DC | MD | VA.

UPDATE (11:15 p.m.): Flash Flood Warning for Fairfax Co., D.C. and Montgomery county through 5 a.m. Another cluster of thunderstorms with heavy rain and lightning will move through the metro region. Additional rainfall of 1 to 1.5 inches is possible in the warned area (see map below). Do not attempt to drive across flooded roadways. Turn around, don't drown.

Through Tonight: Off-and-on showers and storms continue deep into the night, some with heavy rain. Already some locations have recorded near or over an inch from this evening's rains. Places that received the most rain Monday (mainly along and near I-95) are at the highest risk for flash flooding. Lows fall to the low-and-mid 70s.

Severe Weather Tracking Station
Warning Text: DC | MD | VA * NWS Local Storm Reports
Radar & Lightning: Movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here to see radar bigger.
LWX Warnings
Warnings: Severe alerts from National Weather Service. Updates w/o refresh (most browsers). Hint: Alert on map? Click matching label in key for details.

Tomorrow (Wednesday): The risk of showers should continue into the morning before we tend to begin clearing out. However, any sun should help destabilize the atmosphere again, and we'll run a risk for a few more showers or storms in the afternoon. If we see enough sun, highs should rise to the low 90s across much of the area. If not, we'll probably be stuck in the 80s. Right now, I'd lean toward the latter but probably enough sun for a "near 90" high.

See Matt Rogers' forecast through the weekend. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Previous updates:

3:15pm: We've been treated to another mostly cloudy and muggy day with highs in the 80s, but on the bright side we made it through another one without hitting 90+. So far, it's been dry much of the day and that should mainly continue into early evening, though the risk of showers or storms grows as we head deeper into the night. We stick with rain chances overnight and through parts of tomorrow before the sun and heat make a comeback.

By Ian Livingston  | July 13, 2010; 11:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ball lightning: real or fantasy?
Next: Forecast: Warm & swampy, just like it should be

Comments

Still have only got .6" of rain since June 3, yard is brown & most of the plants I planted this spring have died. Please let some rain fall on my yard, 1 dose of rain in 40 days is terrible. I don't have a dance so let it rain.

Posted by: VaTechBob | July 13, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

VATechBob I hope this next batch gives you a soaking.
Centreville Va doesn't need anymore right now....lots of rain last night.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | July 13, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Rain is on the doorstep. My farmer neighbors are out doing a rain dance.

Posted by: MKadyman | July 13, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Stuff moving pretty slowly so far, looks like it's dropped 1" or so in harder hit spots to the southwest. Not a lot of lightning so far.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 13, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

It looks like that line of storms to the SW of DC is going to dump some nice rain. I'm in DC near Chinatown. Hopefully the storms will go through the city.

Posted by: dcbat | July 13, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Still waiting here...if I can get to the bus aoa 8:15 pm, I'll be able to get to the Clarendon Ballroom.

Gottaswing says a new dance class starts tonight...that could keep attendance down if rain & flood watches keep people home.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | July 13, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA HEAVY RAIN

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | July 13, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, it's rained just W, N & S of me. Still waiting 4 a few rain drops, won't b surpised if the next batch once again goes W, N & S. Bombo, u need 2 move 2 NW Spotsy. 2 avoid the rain that u seem 2 hate.

Posted by: VaTechBob | July 13, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Coming down sideways in buckets, lightning, and heart of cell is just arriving!!!

Posted by: KPosty | July 13, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Coming down sideways in buckets, lightning, and heart of cell is just arriving here in Falls Church!!!

Posted by: KPosty | July 13, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Thunder and rain just started in Huntington.

Posted by: mmurphy70 | July 13, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Heavy rain, lots of low rumbly thunder and a few visible flashes of lightning in Merrifield, VA.

Posted by: --sg | July 13, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Did we just lose an hour of twilight in Glover Park? It's about as dark outside now as it normally would be in September. "Must be raindrops, falling from the sky..."

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 13, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Strong rain in Silver Spring, with the thunder becoming louder and more frequent.

Posted by: Murre | July 13, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

A thunderous deluge on Capitol Hill with blinding flashes of Lightning. This may be the most intense I've witnessed this year.

My dog's in hiding.

Posted by: Gidgmom | July 13, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Raining hard in Michigan Park for the last 15 minutes at least,and several lighting strikes less than 1/4 mile away.

Posted by: kperl | July 13, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Buckets here in Thomas Circle - got stuck in it on my way back from the Liquor store. Hello Mr. Whitetail!

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | July 13, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

House fire @ 2721 S Arlington Ridge Rd in Arlington. Not sure if it was a lightning strike or not but the call went out right after the peak of the storm.

Posted by: pooooop423 | July 13, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Lightning strike so close in Michigan Park I couldn't even start the count!

This is Midwest grade.

Posted by: kperl | July 13, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Gidgmom, I agree. All around probably the best storm I've seen this season. Lightning picked up a lot as it entered DC. Of course I went out with no tripod since they werent producing much earlier.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 13, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

No lightening in Glover Park, just some very heavy thunderclaps, serious rain, nolw slackened, and a still-darkened sky. The ground is saturated enough so that whatever rain we get now can soak in to slake those thirsty roots.

The trees should be perking up and I can hear the ragweed chortling in delight.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 13, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

This thing has become a mesolow it appears. If you look up toward balt there is a pretty solid comma head with almost an "eye" on radar in the middle.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 13, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

@Ian 8:56 p.m., for a few minutes, the red part of the storm looked like a question mark; now it's a huge comma. And more rain moving in from the SW.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 13, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it was as bad here in Silver Spring as all the descriptions I'm reading from DC. I think we got off lucky up here.

Posted by: Murre | July 13, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Arcola, VA - again under-performing. My home made gauge recorded about 0.3 in so far for the day.

Posted by: LoudounGeek | July 13, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

VaTechBob, on radar it looks like there's more coming in tonight. Crossing my fingers for ya.
We are drenched in Centreville.
"Dought" over.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | July 13, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

BIG lightning and thunder here in Manassas. Just had a strike and shake enough to send my felines scrambling for cover. I can almost hear my lawn striking up the celebration yet again for the additional rain...LOL.

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | July 13, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Looks like VaTechBob might be getting some rain now :-)

I sure hope we get some more in Loudoun...

Posted by: natsncats | July 13, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Batten down the hatches Fairfax County, here comes round 2.

Posted by: rwalker66 | July 13, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Severe thunderstorms awoke me with very heavy downpours, intense lightning, and very loud thunder. Looking at the radar, it looks like a "sleepless in Stafford" night.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | July 13, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

My dog's in hiding.

Posted by: Gidgmom | July 13, 2010 8:11 PM

I feel your pain and then some. Our black lab mix hates sudden loud noises. If we have a storm in the middle of the night he jumps up on bed, gets real close and pants like crazy. For those of you without dogs, heavy rapid panting causes the bed to shake like a quarter-fed "massager" in a cheap hotel... makes it very difficult to sleep.

We were in Wildewood in St. Mary's County when the storm passed through - very vivid lightning, loud cracks of thunder and buckets of rain. At the 301 Bridge - not a stinking drop!

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | July 13, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Waterfrontproperty, my dog is very upset too. She is exhibiting all the symptoms you mentioned.

It's strange, but she never used to be afraid of thunderstorms until recently. She's three and a half years old, so maybe she is changing as she ages.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | July 14, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

I woke up for some reason, all was quiet. But I now hear the rumble of thunder as the latest approaching thunderstorm lumbers my way.

Posted by: Murre | July 14, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Wonderful, delicious rain!!! And more on the way!

1.42" in the front garden rain gauges in Michigan Park since yesterday. Could the lawns and trees be breathing again?

And more on the way!! Will be mesmerized by the windows as round #2 moves through the District tonight.

YEAH!!! Happy dance!!!

Posted by: TominMichiganParkDC | July 14, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

raining really hard here in East Falls Church... a few lightning strikes..

Posted by: jrodfoo | July 14, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Raining hard in Alexandria, and looking at the radar, its not a line storm, its a train storm

Posted by: pvogel88 | July 14, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

The rain has arrived, and is steadily increasing in intensity. The odd rumble of thunder can be still be heard too.

Posted by: Murre | July 14, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

It's been an absolutely crackling evening. Hard rain, constant thunder and frequent lightning.

Our greyhound is an odd one when it comes to noises. If he sees something start to fall for no apparent reason and make a loud crash, he freaks. It could be that the movement and crash cause him to try and scamper across the hardwood.

Right now, he is napping on the floor family room carpet like he does every night. If he can't see the source, it doesn't even seem to register with him. When we went out for his nightly constitutional at midnight, he really wanted to get back in because of the constant flashing in the sky. Now that it's just background noise, he couldn't care less.

Posted by: mason08 | July 14, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Gidget, my Samoyed, is nostalgic for the drought.

Round Two of the Thunder-Monster has her going back and forth between my bed and her crate. Poor pup had hardly recovered from the 4th of July week of fireworks and firecrackers.

But the drenching outside is lovely to behold.

Posted by: Gidgmom | July 14, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Not to encourage foolish behavior, but because I can understand how some few may find they can't get home without driving through water and therefore risk it: If this is your choice, please first lower your driver's side window OPEN ALL THE WAY DOWN, and if you have passengers, roll theirs completely open, too, BEFORE you drive into water.

When I lived in Houston, people drowned because their windows were rolled up against the rain, only to have the water kill their engines first and thus their chance of crawling out, what with car doors being impossible for even men to open, owing to the greater pressure of water creating suction that coincidentally siphons water in through the throttle and trunk and don't let that happen to you, please.

Posted by: jhbyer | July 14, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse