The new Washington

By Ian Livingston

Temperatures near and above 100 likely Saturday

* Excessive Heat Warning I95, Heat Advisory N&W 12 p.m.-10 p.m. Sat *
* Saturday's record high will fall | Bonnie impacts FL on way to Gulf *
* Outside now? Radar, lightning, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* Consec days 90+: 10; Total 90+: 40 (Apr: 2; May: 3; Jun: 18; Jul: 17) *

We've been running at the head of the pack of all years when it comes to 90+ days and hot summer readings basically since the start of the warm season. Today fit the mold nicely. Afternoon temperatures are reaching the sizzling upper 90s to around 100. With 40 days at-or-above 90 at National Airport, season-to-date we are tied for first with both 1991 and 1994.

Through Tonight: Coming off a day around 100 is a slow process. Expect temperatures to stay in the 90s through at least sunset and probably an hour or two beyond. If you're looking for late-night relief, don't expect much. Muggy readings only slowly fall to the mid-and-upper 70s in the suburbs to around 80 downtown.

Tomorrow (Saturday): If heat, humidity and overnight lows come together as it looks like they may, Saturday could be one of the hotter overall days D.C. ever sees. Mostly sunny skies and a very warm start help temperatures soar to or past the mid-90s by noon. Afternoon readings should top 100 across most of the area. As with today, an isolated storm can't be totally ruled out but I doubt it occurs.

To put Saturday's heat in perspective, consider that only 3 days on record have had an average temperature of 92 or above. 14 have seen an average of 91 or higher, and 42 have finished with an average of 90 or higher.

See Camden Walker's forecast through the beginning of next week. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Record watch: Here we go again? When taking month-to-date temperature averages and factoring in projected temperatures through the rest of July, we appear to be on target to challenge the July warmth record at D.C. of 83.1 degrees. By plugging in semi-reliable MOS guidance from today's 12z GFS which takes us through the morning of the 31st, and then using the "normal" high temperature for that day, gives us right around 83.4 degrees. While less telling overall, we also may run at the July 90+ record of 24 days at-or-above 90 if things play out as they appear they might.

By Ian Livingston  | July 23, 2010; 9:20 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tropical storm Bonnie over Florida
Next: UnitedCast: Sweaty, steamy, stifling soccer

Comments

At least it's not too humid (from a Kansas City perspective ... where we've routinely had 80F dewpoints lately and heat indices 110-120F)

greg

Posted by: gregpostel | July 23, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

What is the Washington record for most 90+ days during the year and most consecutive 90+ days? Does anybody know?

Posted by: CrabbyAppleton | July 23, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

67 is the record for a year in 1980. I believe, but have not verified that the record in a row is 21, also in 1980.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 23, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

This weather bites.

I'll be grateful when this summer is over, that's for certain.

Let's hope the remnants of Bonnie head up our way to deliver some beneficial rain!!

Posted by: TominMichiganParkDC | July 23, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

well, if they're still predicting 100 degrees for tomorrow, i'll post my snow sculpture link tomorrow morning.... earlier, i said i'd do it for "upper 90s", but with the weather we've been having you guys would get sick of them...

CWG,
you need to fix that third paragraph above which begins "tomorrow (friday)".

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | July 23, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

@Walter the snow sculpture link will enable some of us to make it through the day tomorrow.

A friend from Buenos Aires said her family reports snow flurries there earlier this week. Very rare. So while we swelter, B.A. (and Montevideo) are having one of their coldest winters ever with half of Argentina covered in snow, at least as a few days ago. (If this was mentioned earlier on CWG, apologies for the repetition.)

I'm soooo ready to head Down Argentine Way.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 23, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

what year was that, where we had (the record) 24 90+ degree days in July?

Posted by: danuva | July 23, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind, found it. July 1993. That month we also say 16 straight 90+ days

Posted by: danuva | July 23, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

@JerryFloyd1:

I second that observation. All the reports from friends south of the equator indicate that temps down there are abnormally cold. So it's not too surprising we're experiencing the same extremes up here.

But seriously, this is miserable. Summer is supposed to be hot. But the fact that I can't REMEMBER a day where the high was in the mid-80s is a bad, bad sign.

Posted by: SWester2010 | July 23, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

What's the record for losing weight due to sweating? I think I just broke it playing tennis. Ugh.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 23, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

It is snowing heavily here!!!!
Ohhhh - that was 51/2 months ago!

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | July 23, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I am in my air conditioned cave & will not come out again this weekend unless I have to.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | July 23, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

@SWester2010, of course now I'm 30 years older, but this summer seems more miserable than 1980, partly because the heat started so early this year. I spent much of 1980 outdoors in my community garden. Not this summer!

I'm hoping to go to Copa America in Buenos Aires next July and have two lap blankets on hand. Just wish it was this July.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 23, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Excessive Heat Warning issued for tomorrow -- see link up top.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 23, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

so I always told my family in New Orleans that I would never visit between May and September because it's too hot and humid. I wish I was there! I put water out for the birds...my cat has been banished from the porch, and I will be indoors tomorrow:)

Posted by: SPS1 | July 23, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Nice 11p ob at DCA of 90/73 for a heat index of 98.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 23, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Any chance the temp will drop into at least the 70s early morning Sunday...I have an 11 mile run schediled (Marine Corps training) and am loathe to run such a long distance on a treadmill.

Posted by: gjjg4dgd | July 23, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

It's going to be tough to get below 80 in the city it seems. Temperature actually went up to 91 at midnight! Most readings in the city seem similar right now.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 24, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Here's a current temperature map. Nuts for midnight!

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 24, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I remember as a child during those mid-1990's heat waves that it got so hot once that WMATA offered free bus rides. I can't remember why, though - was it because of the excessive heat or the poor air quality? Does anyone else remember this? Or am I just stereotypically looking at my childhood through steamy black glasses??

Posted by: kolya02 | July 24, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Ian that is hot...

We're at 77 now on the Blue Ridge after a high around 92

Posted by: spgass1 | July 24, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

The heat advisory for tomorrow N&W is a bit strange.. says it's expired?

...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 10 PM EDT SATURDAY...
...HEAT ADVISORY HAS EXPIRED...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A
HEAT ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 10 PM EDT
SATURDAY. THE HEAT ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

Posted by: spgass1 | July 24, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

I think that must be a glitch on a computer generated message... the rest of the text sounds like sound advice:

A HEAT ADVISORY MEANS THAT A PERIOD OF HOT TEMPERATURES IS EXPECTED. THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY
WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE POSSIBLE. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS...STAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM...STAY OUT OF THE SUN...AND CHECK UP ON ELDERLY RELATIVES
AND NEIGHBORS. NEVER LEAVE CHILDREN OR PETS UNACCOMPANIED IN A PARKED VEHICLE...EVEN WITH THE WINDOWS CRACKED.

Posted by: spgass1 | July 24, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Wow I just looked at accuweather, at 1 am we were suppose to be 82 (not 89) The High Min of 84 could be in jeoprady

Posted by: minerdude | July 24, 2010 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Nevermind, that was Saturday's advisory...

Posted by: spgass1 | July 24, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse