The new Washington

* Hottest day in hottest summer: Full Forecast *
* Excessive Heat Warning expanded to entire area thru 10 p.m. *
* It's so hot (news story) | Post Local coverage | Heat Tips | UnitedCast *
* Outside now? Radar & more: Weather Wall | Tropical Tracking *
* Consec days 90+: 11; Total 90+: 41 (Apr: 2; May: 3; Jun: 18; Jul: 18) *

Updated at 4 p.m. ...

As of 4 p.m., the temperature at Reagan National (DCA) had already soared to at least 100 degrees, breaking the record high of 96 set in 1987. The heat index has reached close to 110 this afternoon with dew points near 70. This morning's low at DCA appears to have been 81, breaking the prior record high low temp of 78 from 1987.

Baltimore-Washington (BWI) has also set a new record with a high of at least 100 through 4 p.m., besting the previous high of 97 in 1987. At Dulles (IAD), the record of 97 (yep, in 1987) has been outdone with a maximum temperature of 98 so far.

Temperatures will continue to hang around the century mark for the rest of the afternoon with dangerously high heat indices of 105-110. The National Weather Service has expanded the Excessive Heat Warning to cover the entire area through 10 p.m.

How are you dealing with the heat? Comment below...

By Jason Samenow  | July 24, 2010; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  Extreme Heat
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Hottest day in hottest summer
Next: Today's worst is over; still really hot tomorrow

Comments

First!

Posted by: gjjg4dgd | July 24, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

If DC can not get too many clouds 103/104 may still be in play, but they've been building and we love 102.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 24, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

DCA-103 BWI-103 IAD-101

Posted by: ajmupitt | July 24, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Temp actually dropped to 97 at 2 p.m. at DCA due to clouds. But we hit 100 inter-hour.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | July 24, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Probably should have waited to see the 2p temp of 97 before the high numbers. ;) From what I can see a 97 at 2 has not produced higher than 102 for a high but that's not to say it can't be done.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 24, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

My flower pots here in Falls Church were wilted so I gave them a drink. When I walked in the sun it actually stung my skin.....back inside until o'dark hundred for me.

Posted by: tbva | July 24, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Just one word to describe this summer: TORTURE.

Posted by: rmozosa | July 24, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Just one word to describe this summer: TORTURE.

Posted by: rmozosa | July 24, 2010 2:47 PM

***************************
Good one, my word: BRUTAL!

Posted by: bobby20 | July 24, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

>>Just one word to describe this summer: TORTURE.

Posted by: Mark_CharmCity | July 24, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

100 at 3 p.m. at DCA

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | July 24, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Just one word to describe this summer: TORTURE.

Posted by: rmozosa | July 24, 2010 2:47 PM

***************************
Good one, my word: BRUTAL!

Posted by: bobby20 | July 24, 2010 2:57

*******************************************

How about just plain UGLY!

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | July 24, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

ACK! Lost the last of characters: TORTURE a/k/a TORCHER

Posted by: Mark_CharmCity | July 24, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Following on from rmozosa and bobby, seems we're looking for words to describe the hot weather? I see where this is going... OK, well we had Snowmageddon during the winter, so how about "Steamageddon" for today? :)

Glad I took the dog for a long walk early this morning. He's going nowhere now until after dark!

Posted by: mrwrinkle | July 24, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

My trusty La Crosse station is showing 102.0 at the moment.

Just one word: AUGH.

Posted by: Sterlingva | July 24, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

At least we're not in Williamsburg VA. 108 (perhaps a bit high... but plenty of 105+ readings to our south).

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 24, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Can't resist this one: CWG, I am going to a cookout later this afternoon. What are the chances the air temp will be below 100 degrees? (I'm not getting near the grill!).

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 24, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if there is a real time power usage display for virginia or the region? California has at least one:

If we are close to peak usage (I assume we are pretty close), then just setting the A/C one degree higher can make a difference if enough people do that. Also not washing, drying, dishwashing, etc until later tonight.

Posted by: eric654 | July 24, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Temperature bouncing around like crazy where I live from 99.1 to 100. Hard to know what to wear with such dramatic weather changes. Ooops, just went to 100.4. Warmest reading thus far this afternoon.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 24, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA We have 94 & 96 degrees on our digital thermometers which are both in the shade. The mercury on the deck (in full afternoon sunshine)reads 110.
Combined with the breeze it feels like being inside a hair dryer. Good golly, how I love my AC.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | July 24, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I've been wondering - where are all of the code red/air quality alerts? It seems like in past years, a stretch of heat like this and all we would be hearing about is bad air quality and how we shouldn't be driving as much, etc. I can't say that I've heard even one mention of AQI on the news this year.

Posted by: jyjr16 | July 24, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

102.1 in Poolesville - official digital in the shade.

Posted by: MKadyman | July 24, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

100 at DCA at 4 p.m. -- but heat index is 109!

@jyjr16

We've had a lot of code orange days (unhealthy for sensitive groups), but just one code red day. Air quality may not so bad because - while hot - the air has been mixing and not so stagnant.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | July 24, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

After I read the first paragraph, immediately I knew it was from Jason Samenow and I was correct! Hey I loved your stories from last winter! You da man!

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 24, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I'll take this over the cold any time.

Posted by: grobinette | July 24, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

What's the record number of days DC has been at or above 100 in one summer?

Posted by: SABG | July 24, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

@RedCherokee

Thanks for the shout out :) I've got to share the props with my partner in crime Ian Livingston -- who made some updates to this post.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | July 24, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

If you think it's bad here, scroll on our temperature map to the south and east to Richmond and the Hampton Roads. Absolutely suffocating heat down there.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | July 24, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how Patrick Henry and Thomas Jefferson survived these hot summer in their Governors' Palace down in Colonial Williamsburg.

I was helping a friend move today in DC. No - strenuous exercise was not recommended. The heat is brutal, torturous and ugly. However it is much more bearable knowing when the end is. For the last several days I've been pinning my hope on next Mon-Fri to be nice summerly 80s all the way. BUT the forecast changed on me since yesterday. Now we get 3 ugly 9s.

Posted by: LoudounGeek | July 24, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Hotpocalypse? Almost sounds nutritious, while this event is more thirst-producing...

Posted by: dclioness1 | July 24, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

How are you dealing with the heat? Comment below...
Writing the Mother of All Guilt Trips for my soon to be born baby. It starts, "When I was pregnant with you we had the snowiest winter and the hottest summer."

Posted by: ArlingtonSnowGal | July 24, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I had my son and his friend (both 4) wash the car and we all came away soaking wet after spraying each other. It was fun, cooling, and helpful! Now they are watching a movie and hoping it cools down enough to walk to ice cream after dinner.

Posted by: mdem929 | July 24, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Its 100 here in Old Town Alexandria, and my two beautiful dogs are happy to stay in the house where its nice and cool! Their lounging around and slothfulness give me a new picture for the "Dog Days of Summer!" Still, I prefer this to the blizzards that we had in February!

Posted by: VAtoLA | July 24, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Folks-- I've posted a new update. Feel free to continue the conversation there...

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | July 24, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Forget the cookout, I'm staying in and watching Ivan the Terrible, Parts One and Two. (Walter in Falls Church can explain.)

Those temps down in SE Virginia are outrageous.

The Buster's Seafood folks who sell at the Dupont Circle Farmers Market on Sunday also sell in Williamsburg on Saturdays. Hope they made it through today's Hotrrendous temps OK.

From the looks of it, tomorrow isn't going to be much better, unless you think 99 is a co;d wave. Bring back the snow!!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 24, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse