The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:30 PM ET, 07/24/2010

Today's worst is over; still really hot tomorrow

By Jason Samenow

* Outlook for tomorrow into next week: Full Forecast *
* Excessive Heat Warning for entire area thru 10 p.m. *
* It's so hot (news story) | Post Local coverage | Heat Tips | UnitedCast *
* Outside now? Radar & more: Weather Wall | Tropical Tracking *
* Consec days 90+: 11; Total 90+: 41 (Apr: 2; May: 3; Jun: 18; Jul: 18) *

Thankfully the District's fourth 100-degree afternoon of 2010 has come to a close. All three area airports set record highs today as the mercury neared or surpassed triple digit levels across the region with heat indices up to 110. Here are the actuals:

Reagan National: 101
Dulles: 99
BWI: 100

If you thought it was bad here, it was worse to our southeast. Richmond and Norfolk hit 105, both records.

For those headed out tonight, while the lack of blistering sunshine takes an edge off the heat, keep in mind temperatures will remain at or above 90 through 10 or 11 p.m. Tomorrow, the heat repeats - though clouds in the mid-to-late afternoon probably reduce the prevalence of three-digit readings. We'll also have a chance of thunderstorms marking the passage of a cold front that provides some relief for early next week.

100-degree days: Having logged its fourth 100-degree day this year, DCA is now tied for #5 in recorded history for the number of such days in a summer. The years ahead of it are 1997, 1980, 1988, and 1930 with 5, 6, 7, and 11 100-degree days respectively. The 1971-2000 average for 100-degree days is 1.2 per year. (Thanks to CWG's Ian Livingston for sending me this data.)

By Jason Samenow  | July 24, 2010; 5:30 PM ET
Categories:  Local Climate, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Records fall, and it feels close to 110
Next: Forecast: Cold front late today signals break in heat

Comments

Where's thinkspring? He did this to us. :)

Posted by: maymay1 | July 24, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

carried over from 5:47:

Those temps down in SE Virginia are outrageous.

The Buster's Seafood folks who sell at the Dupont Circle Farmers Market on Sunday also sell in Williamsburg on Saturdays. Hope they made it through today's Hotrrendous temps OK.

From the looks of it, tomorrow isn't going to be much better, unless you think 99 is a cold wave. Bring back the snow!!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 24, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I found a lovely gelato place in Fairfax called Sweet Berry. Other than that hanging out at home in the Bat Cave as I have all of my shades shut tightly:) PS I vote for Steamaggedon!

Posted by: SPS1 | July 24, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I hope the data isn't needed this summer but if we have another infernal day, would be cool (??) to know the earliest time of the day DCA (or the 24th and L location) hit 100 degrees. Noon? 1 p.m.??

I think I'll watch "Ivan the Terrible, Parts I and II tonight", with a tip of the hat to Walter.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 24, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Apropos of today's hot temperatures, this is from today's Writer's Almanac by Garrison Keillor:

On this day in 1936, the Dust Bowl heat wave was so intense that Kansas and Nebraska experienced their all-time hottest temperatures, unbroken to this day. In Alton, Kansas, the temperature was 121 degrees, and in Minden, Nebraska, it was 118.

During the summer of 1936, a total of 15 states recorded all-time hottest temperatures that still have not been broken. And not all of the states were in the Dust Bowl region. Earlier in the month, Runyon, New Jersey, was 110, Moorhead, Minnesota, hit 114, and Martinsburg, West Virginia, 112. By early August, Ozark, Arkansas, and Seymour, Texas, had hit 120 degrees.

Posted by: -pj- | July 24, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd, the NWS reported that the heat wave earlier this month took that honor when it hit 100 at noon.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 24, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Ian, for the link. That noon 100 degree reading is coming back to me in a heat haze. So I guess the only heat record left is 100 degrees at 11 a.m. Unless we hit 107; if so, Lawrence of Arabia is the film of choice.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 24, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Mtn stats east of Front Royal according to my instruments:

76.9F low this morning
94.5F hi temp
82.6 currently

It felt good to get my head wet when I washed my wife's car this evening.

Not much on radar... :-(

Posted by: spgass1 | July 24, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Was pretty faithful to my couch and knitting until I got a hare-brained idea to go check out the plants at Meadows Farms. At 2pm. The staff was talking about the heat (duh) and we all stood around yapping and sweating. Good times!

However, second 100-degree heat wave, second dahlia plant to suffer badly. What am I doing wrong?

Am up to a gallon of water for the day so far. Will have at least another quart before bedtime... Makes a huge difference in how I feel!

Posted by: rosilandjordan | July 24, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

@Rosalindjordan, good for you re: water consumption. We all should drink at 64 oz. a day and more when it's so hot. (I opt for Crystal Lite lemonade because I can't abide the taste of D.C. water.)

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | July 24, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

There is a line of thunderstorms that is really moving fast in our direction. Its halfway through PA right now. I'd bet we will see it before dawn.

Posted by: MKadyman | July 24, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Folks, I have some kids camping out in the backyard tonight. What do you think about those storms I see up in Pennsylvania? I'm starting to see winds pick up out here in Loudoun.

Posted by: glastonbury27 | July 24, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I don't think much or any rain will make it past the PA border tonight, and if it does it probably wont make it this far south. The cold front is still back further behind the line, stuff is starting to wane a bit and we're still pretty much dominated by the high pressure for now.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 24, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

When we moved to DC in '87, during the last week of July, I remember how disappointed we were at not being able to take advantage of the outdoor swimming pool at the apt complex in Alexandria, where our relocation package paid for us to stay the month of August. It was too cold, with highs only in the low 70's (!)

Yes, I know, I know. After 23 years here, I know we're not entitled to a cool August.

Still, I dare to hope another month of this heat isn't probable. The possibility, which is quite common west of the Mississippi, that August will be hotter, is remote here, yes?

Posted by: jhbyer | July 25, 2010 3:49 AM | Report abuse