The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:45 AM ET, 07/ 7/2010

What do you like about summer heat?

By Ann Posegate

Wx and the City

* 100+ again today: Full Forecast | Thinking Cool | NatCast *

The D.C. area has already experienced its fair share of summer conditions ... and it's only the first week of July. We've heard -- and said -- plenty of complaints about the heat and humidity: sweaty work clothes, lack of energy, moldy basements. Yet, some residents actually seem to like the heat. Are you one of them?

By Ann Posegate  | July 7, 2010; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  Extreme Heat, Posegate, Wx and the City
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Brutal heat wave hits day 3 of near 100
Next: Reader questions on the heat wave...

Comments

If it's hot with low humidity, the air quality is likely to be good and I can exercise (by walking to and from work).

The last couple of days have been so oppressive that exercise is dangerous. So, I don't mind the heat, but I need a better air quality. *G*

Posted by: Fabrisse | July 7, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Sandals/Less clothing=less wash, which is always a good thing.

Although the heat won't keep me from getting into work like the Snowpocalypse or Snowmageddon did.

Posted by: wadejg | July 7, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't have to shovel it.

Posted by: Hendo1 | July 7, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I was tempted to choose option 2 but our condo's outside HVAC system failed last night. I will re-evaluate before voting later this evening.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 7, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Ian - Oh no, sorry to hear that. The Starbucks just north of Dupont Circle was closed this morning because the A/C broke. I think many systems are taxed this week. Good luck!

wadejg & Hendo1 - True, heat is a lot less work than cold and snow.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | July 7, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

You call this hot? I grew up in the midwest before air conditioning became affordable and if you've survived those conditions there's nothing to complain about.

Posted by: dadofmeg | July 7, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Surprisingly, the heat wave hasn't bothered me that much, though the unhealthy air quality has been causing my asthma to act up a bit.

What has me really crawling the walls is "much-needed-rain's" effort to threaten my big Friday night dance at the Elks Lodge with the threat of potential severe weather. These dances occur only about once a month, not weekly like the swing dances, and a bad enough storm threatens more than just my ability to get to the dance, as a power outage in the right place could threaten the dance itself, causing VIP Dances to lose quite a bit of money.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | July 7, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I hate it because I *can't* shovel it and move on.

Posted by: ah___ | July 7, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

i love playing tennis, getting totally drenched in sweat, taking a quick shower then diving in the pool...those first few silent underwater moments when the cool water envelops my body...nice....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | July 7, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Summer makes it much easier to get natural vitamin D. Summer has hummingbirds, butterflies, bees (the friendly kind) and bats. Although I have to admit the chickadees in the winter are nice too.

Posted by: eric654 | July 7, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Not even the miserable heat of this summer, IMO, was as bad as what we went through last Feburary, or what people in the Midwest and Deep South have to go through, day in and day out. D.C. has some bad times, weather-wise, but it is still one of the better places in the country to live in, climate-wise. The only place I think I'd like better, climate-wise, is San Francisco.....and then, of course, you have the earthquake hazard.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | July 7, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

MMCarhelp,
what makes dc great weather-wise, to me, is we get it all. (mind you, ideally, i'd like to get lots more snow...but i'm crazy that way.)

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | July 7, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse