Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
The new Washington
Post Weather website
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 08/24/2010

Forecast: Cloudy, cool August day

By Matt Rogers

Upcoming weekend still looks fantastic!

* Greenland's ice island drifts from land | Danielle unlikely to threaten *
* Outside now? Clouds temps & more: Weather Wall | NatCast *

updated at 10:45 a.m.

Today's Daily Digit
 
A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

 

The cool weather is welcome, but a few showers could prove irritating if you are out in them.
 
Get the 'Digit' on Twitter

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Cloudy. A few showers/sprinkles. 72-76. | Tonight: Cloudy with showers. 63-68. | Tomorrow: Partly sunny by afternoon. 78-82. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

So normally, today's cool, cloudy and damp-ish forecast would be described as gloomy. But this has not been a "normal" sort of summer, so today can alternatively be described as a welcome extension to the reprieve from the frequent painful bouts of strong summer heat we've seen. As Jason noted yesterday, today could be the first time since June 9 that we don't top 80 degrees. And as Martha Stewart would say, "that is a good thing." I was tempted to push the daily digit higher, but I realize there are readers who won't like the clouds and may be bothered by an occasional shower or sprinkle.


Radar & lightning: Latest D.C. area radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Tuesday): An upper level disturbance delivers a persistent canopy of cloud cover today with the potential for a few showers or sprinkles. It looks like we have about a 30% chance of raindrops in the morning and then 50% for the afternoon. Any showers will mostly be on the light side, but could see an isolated heavier one with maybe even a rumble of thunder. Highs are forecast to be in the low-to-mid 70s (wow!) with breezy winds from the north and east at 10-15 mph. Confidence: Medium

Tonight: The clouds hold tight along with a 40% risk of additional showers. Lows are forecast to drop down into the middle 60s. Light winds should continue to filter down from the north. Confidence: Medium

Keep reading for the forecast through the fantastic final weekend of August...

Tomorrow (Wednesday): The upper-level disturbance should start pulling away, but it will be quite gradual with a mostly cloudy morning (possibly some sprinkles yet) and then a shift toward partly sunny skies by afternoon. Those breaks in the cloud cover along with a wind shift by afternoon (first coming from the north, and then from the west) should push most of us back to the upper 70s to low 80s for late-day highs. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: Partly cloudy and can't complain about these pleasant lows in the mid-to-upper 60s. Light winds from the west. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Thursday is poised to be our warmest day of the week, but right now it is looking like mainly mid-to-upper 80s, meaning we could go this entire week without hitting 90! We'll see, but for now, there should be enough clouds and a 30% chance of thunderstorms to keep temperatures from getting too crazy. Look for variable sky conditions, but most of the day could qualify for partly sunny status. Thursday night should be partly cloudy too with lows in the 60s again. Confidence: Low-Medium

Friday is the gateway to the weekend weather-wise with sunny skies and highs in the upper 70s to low 80s along with amazingly low dew points (for August). That means very comfortable weather. And those low dew points, clear skies, and calm winds could make for quite a cool August night with possible lows in the upper 50s to low 60s. Confidence: Medium

The weekend looks excellent. I would pick Saturday as the best day right now, because we should see low-to-mid 80s for highs with very low humidity and abundant sunshine. Sunday should be nice too, but temperatures could inch up into the mid-to-upper 80s. You should definitely enjoy this weekend, because there are indications that we may have to pay some additional summer dues next week (return of the 90s?). Take heart, September is approaching. Confidence: Low-Medium

By Matt Rogers  | August 24, 2010; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NatCast: Cloudy, cool for Cubs
Next: Is 2010 the most extreme year for D.C. weather?

Comments

I don't get the comment about wanting to make the daily digit higher but realizing there were still people who would be inconvenienced by today's weather -- particularly those "who have to be outside for any length of time"? How would they be inconvenienced, since it's going to be cooler and drier? Color me confused.

Posted by: wrytous | August 24, 2010 6:12 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I'm not forecasting drier. I'm forecasting scattered showers this morning (40%) and more chances this afternoon (60%). What is confusing about getting wet?

Posted by: MattRogers | August 24, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

How long has it been since we've had a week that didn't include a 90 degree day?

Posted by: wiredog | August 24, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Hey Wiredog, looks like we haven't done that since before Memorial Day.

Posted by: MattRogers | August 24, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

As long as we're lamenting the heat and humidity:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitcase/sets/72157623365120104

Posted by: wiredog | August 24, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

What a forecast! I've been looking forward to this weather since May. I am going to Philly on Thursday to see the Phillies game (1 pm first pitch). I assume the weather forecast here pertains to there as well, right?

Posted by: authorofpoetry | August 24, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Where's the NatsCast for today?

Posted by: StarLightJW | August 24, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

@StarLightJW

It's up... There was a technical glitch earlier.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | August 24, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm from Russia and am loving the weather today. The weekend looks even better, but I wouldn't say no to 10-14 days like today over the course of a summer.

Posted by: maralenenok | August 24, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Jason isn't the only person who has been focused on the consecutive streak of 80-days; I've posted about this repeatedly in the last 10 days.

Sometimes, you guys need to give your readers/posters credit (if you don't mention us by name, that's fine, but at least acknowledge that this blog is partly a community effort).

I realize the CWG works very hard to make this blog a quality product, but there are readers/posters who add andectotal and historical information and in some cases have very keen scientific/meteorological insights about what's cooking or about to cook.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | August 24, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

@JerryFloyd1

Thanks for the comment. We very much recognize how vital CWG readers and commenters like yourself are. The active and knowledgable community is a huge part of what makes CWG what it is. While we're not able to give recognition to or call attention to every interesting stat or insight (and there are many) provided by our readers, we do try to include and interact with readers as much as we can, and sometimes include reader comments/tweets/rain totals/etc in our posts. Look forward to your continued participation here.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | August 24, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Dan, thanks for responding. I'm not looking for personal credit, just an acknowledgment that CWG readers sometimes do contribute to the topics featured in CWG posts.

Those contributions include some very worthwhile links. My weather "favorites" list has grown voluminously because of the great links posted here by CWG and readers/posters.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | August 24, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

It actually seems to be a bit less cloudy and also drier than previously forecast.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | August 24, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2012 The Washington Post Company