Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
The new Washington
Post Weather website
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 08/ 3/2010

Forecast: The heat strikes back

By Matt Rogers

Heat & humidity returns; summer is not done with us

updated at 10:30 a.m.

* Tropical system a distant threat | Hurricane Tracking Center *
* New hail record in South Dakota | Rediscovering a classic D.C. photo *
* Outside now? Radar, lightning, temps & more: Weather Wall *

Today's Daily Digit
 
A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

 

We should see more sun, but the additional heat and humidity are not welcome.
 
Get the 'Digit' on Twitter

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly cloudy. 20% chance of p.m. storms. 86-89. | Tonight: Partly cloudy. 72-76. | Tomorrow: Partly to mostly sunny. 30% chance of evening storms. 92-95. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Yesterday's high of only 83 at National was a comfortable five degrees below normal - making for a second consecutive "cool" afternoon. But the climatology calendar reminds us that we still have the second hottest month of the summer yet to go, so here we go. Heat and humidity should return in force the next few days and remind us of the "dark side" of summer. We must once again brave highs in the 90s, high humidity, and p.m .thunderstorm threats.

Temperatures: Latest D.C. area temperature map powered by iMapWeather (base map by Google). Click and hold on map to pan. Double-click to zoom. Refresh page to update. See larger map on our Weather Wall.

Today (Tuesday): A big ridge of high pressure that is currently delivering strong heat to the southern Midwest, Tennessee Valley, and the South (104 in Dallas yesterday!) will begin to expand north and east shoving hotter weather back into the mid-Atlantic starting today. Winds from the south will help push our high temperatures into the upper 80s. We should feel higher humidity too and there is a 20% chance for widely scattered thunderstorms. Clouds are being pesky today, but if they break, temperatures could sneak just a little higher. Confidence: Medium-High

Thundercast:
Probability: 20%
Coverage: Very widely scattered
Most likely timing: 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Tonight: Muggy weather overnight with lows in the low-to-mid 70s, partly cloudy skies, and still those light winds from the south bringing in more heat from the hot southern high pressure ridge. Confidence: Medium

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

Tomorrow (Wednesday): Day two of summer's return will only feel worse with highs in the middle 90s more likely and partly to mostly sunny skies. Relief could come in the form of late afternoon or evening thunderstorms (30% chance). Those heat index values should push into the low 100s. Light winds from the south will continue to pump in the heat. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: A 30% chance of storms continues with partly cloudy skies and warmer overnight temperatures in the mid-to-upper 70s. Those air conditioners will probably need to keep running.Confidence: Low-Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Thursday like last week should be our most humid and generally the hottest day of this week. Temperatures should be in the mid-to-upper 90s, but we have a much better chance to disrupt that heat by late afternoon and evening due to a stronger line of thunderstorms (could be severe?) accompanying a cold front. Look for partly to mostly sunny skies early becoming more cloudy late in the day. The chance of thunderstorms is 60%. More storms are possible Thursday night (40%) with lows in the low-to-mid 70s. Confidence: Low

Friday behind the cold front means gradually cooling temperatures and lowering humidity. Highs may still make the low 90s, but drier humidity will be noticeable. Skies should be partly to mostly sunny with light breezes. A pleasant Friday night is expected with temperatures in the 70s possibly heading toward a low in the upper 60s toward dawn. Confidence: Low-Medium

The weekend looks like it will once again reward us for struggling through a hot summer work week. Right now, we are looking at a cooler air mass moving into the area with highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s to around 70. Partly to mostly sunny skies are anticipated to augment the weekend weather experience. But enjoy it while you can as more heat may be poised to return later next week. Confidence: Low-Medium

By Matt Rogers  | August 3, 2010; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Atlantic tropical storm a distant threat to land
Next: Hot weather records falling left and right

Comments

Only 2 days in the 90s for the week. I will take it!

Posted by: LoudounGeek | August 3, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

LoudounGeek - Well, it is a close-call on the 90s. It could be another several day streak that we hit 90 or surpass. The heat empire is indeed striking back (with help of muggy air!)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | August 3, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Maybe a typo in the first sentence... should be "five degrees below normal?"

Posted by: spgass1 | August 3, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Fellas - I need some out of town help. Tomorrow I am heading up to Yankee stadium to see the game. It is at 1pm. Do you mind giving me the forecast for NYC tomorrow afternoon?

Posted by: authorofpoetry | August 3, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Yes Spgass, it looks like two sentences merged together in the editing process. Sorry about that...it is fixed.

Posted by: MattRogers | August 3, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Hi Author, I predict a 70% chance for a Yankees win. And unfortunately a 30% chance for afternoon thunderstorms, mostly toward the end of the game or afterward. Highs should be around the upper 80s to low 90s though, so dress for hot weather.

Posted by: MattRogers | August 3, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Matt. I'm taking the train up and this is my first Yankees game. Some showers towards the end of the game may feel alright!

Posted by: authorofpoetry | August 3, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

What is your confidence in the weekend forecast? My daughter is getting married on Saturday and sunny skies with temperatures in the low-to-mid 80s would be amazing! My wife tells me that her taffeta dress would be a bit uncomfortable if we had the type of heat and humidity from the past few weeks.

Posted by: TheOneWhoHurtsMost | August 3, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Officially, our confidence is low-to-medium, but the biggest risk to the forecast is perhaps slightly hotter weather toward 90F instead of 80s.

Posted by: MattRogers | August 3, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Camden - looks like today's high forecast has been oscillating wildly so to speak - when I left for work it looked like the cloud was going to hold it down. Since then it went as high as 91 but back to 88 now. :-) Agree many close calls for the next few days but quite a relief from the daily triple digit threats.

Posted by: LoudounGeek | August 3, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Slammed yet again...by WGN!!! Today there seems to be ABSOLUTELY NO weather coverage by Tom Skilling!!!

Seems the "news at noon" with Skilling's weather report got "bumped" by a White Sox/Tigers game. Evidently WGN's commitment to baseball supersedes our need to get clear, concise Midwestern weather coverage.

And tonight is no better, although it's dance night for me at the Clarendon Ballroom. Instead of "News at Nine" (10 PM for us Easterners), we're getting an hour of "Funny Home Videos/Scrubs". This is even worse than bumping the weather report for baseball! Anyway, I can now dance the night away at the Clarendon Ballroom, secure in the knowledge that I won't miss my daily dose of Skilling. May have to check the WGN website to see if anything's on there. It was a very bad day to be doing this, as Chicago got hit with another round of MCS thunderstorms this morning and flights into ORD [Chicago O'Hare, for those ignorant of three-letter aiport codes] were delayed, some considerably. At this point I can't be sure if the MCS will get this far east. If it does, it may pass north of us, through Pennsylvania.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | August 3, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Just got Skilling's forecast from his weather blog, including the three-day outlook form my zip code [22204]. But I still miss his update on Chicago and Midwestern weather...it looks as though Joliet got flooded out with 5-plus inches of rain earlier today. The pertinent MCS also tracks north of us, through Pennsylvania.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | August 3, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2012 The Washington Post Company