The new Washington

PM Update: Dulles sets record as heat blasts again

By Ian Livingston

Rain chances up on Thursday; Near-average temps

* Video: Sunrise on the Mall | Photos: A pleasant August weekend *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall | NatCast *
* 90+ days so far in 2010: 51; Next up to pass, 1995 (52 days) *

Today is our 20th day of 95+ weather this year here in D.C., and I'm sure many of you -- myself included -- are hoping it's the last. I can't yet promise that, but time will soon be running out for such warmth, at least historically speaking. Though most spots are running a bit cooler than yesterday, it's been another scorcher with highs in the mid-to-upper 90s. Dulles Airport has broken the previous record high for today after reaching 97 shortly before 3 p.m. A backdoor cold front is moving in, and while it hasn't done a lot today, we'll notice the cooler (if still very humid) air starting tomorrow.

Through Tonight: We should see partly to mostly cloudy skies into the evening and night, and there could be an isolated shower or storm early. Temperatures fall to the upper 80s or near 90 around sunset on their way to lows in the mid-and-upper 70s. If D.C. stays above 80 through the rest of the day, we'll set a new record high minimum for Aug. 11, and this will be the first time we've ever seen 4 or more lows 80+ in one year.

Tomorrow (Thursday): A lot more in the way of clouds helps end this heat wave in many spots around the area. We'll also run the risk of seeing rain, perhaps in two waves -- one early or midday and another late afternoon or evening. The evening activity could include thunderstorms, and if we get enough heating from the sun they could be strong. Mid-to-upper 80s should do it for highs most spots, with one or two potentially touching 90.

See Dan Stillman's forecast through the weekend. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Tropics: Tropical Depression 5 continues to move toward the northern Gulf coast. It may become a tropical storm prior to landfall, but the main issue looks to be rain. Considering the forecasts for this season, we seem to be off to a slow start -- at least regarding the "big" storms. Philip Klotzbach, one of the head researchers on Colorado State's tropical forecasting team, discusses why it is probably too early to begin to write off the predictions of a hyperactive year.

By Ian Livingston  | August 11, 2010; 5:30 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Time lapse sunrise on the Mall
Next: NatCast: Pleasant temps, just dodge the showers

Comments

You said in this post:
"If D.C. stays above 80 through the rest of the day, we'll set a new record high minimum for Aug. 11, and this will be the first time we've ever seen 4 or more record high lows in one calendar year."

but Jason said earlier...
"If DCA sets the record high minimum temperature record today, it will be the sixth such daily record in 2010. The other record high mins set in 2010 are: 76 on June 21, 78 on June 24, 80 on July 7 and 8, and 81 on July 24."

which is right?

Posted by: dotjeffdot | August 11, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

All I know is that for the first time since June, the extended forecasts for weather.gov, weather.com, and accuweather do not contain a 90 degree day.

Clearly, that can change but right now, this very moment, I am giddy.

Posted by: hereandnow1 | August 11, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

dotjeffdot, I was not totally clear in the first rendition and there was an editing error afterwards. It is fixed. It is the first time we've seen 4 lows 80+ in one year, the previous high was 3 in 1876 and 1981.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | August 11, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the clarification.
what a gross summer. i'll take it over the cold, but it's disgusting.

another question. how come I never see "beach-casts" anymore????

Posted by: dotjeffdot | August 11, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

@dotjeffdot

We typically only do BeachCasts for holiday weekends (e.g., Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day), though in the future we may consider increasing the frequency depending on demand and resources.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | August 11, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

@hereandnow1, the long-term forecasts are indeed encouraging; until I read your post, I was ready to do a Steven Slater, grab two beers, and head to the beach... and I don't even drink.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | August 11, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1
LOL
But do you have an exit ramp as cool as his?

Posted by: pjdunn1 | August 11, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I think it's probably a bit premature to get too psyched about losing 90s in the future. The pattern is sort of convoluted but still looks warm. Once you get out to about a week away it looks potentially quite warm with upper ridging trying to build back in.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | August 11, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm still expecting at least 5 more 90 degree days for Aug, also think we'll have 4-6 90 degree days in Sept. This summer will last thru most of Oct.

Posted by: VaTechBob | August 11, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

VaTechBob:
i hope not. my air conditioning/heat in my condo is being shut off on september 12th - november 15th.

no more 80s after september 12th!

Posted by: dotjeffdot | August 11, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

The main difference between last summer (Jun, Jul, Aug) and this summer is that last summer I was able to run the A/C for about 15 days, and then only in the evening. It was off the rest of the time. This summer I don't think there have been 15 days where I haven't run the A/C. Last weekend I had two in a row, rare but nice.

Posted by: eric654 | August 11, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

@Pjdunn1, I'd want to use a 'chute that opens above South Bethany Beach, or better yet, Wellfleet.

@Ian, based on what you're saying, it's too soon to jump for joy. ; ((

Especially since we're now only 17 days shy of eclipsing the record of sixty seven 90-day (or higher) days. Thermaclypse (maybe), snowpocalypse (definitely), what a year!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | August 11, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I'd think we'll fall short of the 1980 record of 90+, but I've been shooting for 60 for a while now. Even in Nina years which are warm in the fall we don't typically get too many 90s after August. Looks like the avg is about 3 in Nina or in the 30 yr climo period (1971-2000).

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | August 11, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Left out that 3 was for Sept only, there is probably some marginal point something number for Oct.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | August 11, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Ian, you shootin' for sixty 90+ days? What is this, The Gunfight at the K.O. Corral? I'm guessing (and only guessing) 62-63 90+ days for this year. In 1967, it was 93 degrees in October and even hotter during a much more recent October.

I just wanna' look out my window and see leaves changing and then lots of flakes swirling down.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | August 11, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Jerry, lol. Well that 60 # was a while back, sort of to make sure we got into the #2 spot with no ties. With 51 now, I could see your numbers verifying and it could end up being close to 1980 if things worked out right. 1980 had a crazy September though -- 14 days above 90. I just ran the numbers and it looks like the OCT 1971-2000 avg is .06 (.1), but 2007 had 3 and was also a Nina.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | August 11, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

"This summer will last through most of October"? I don't think so. While warm air masses may be the norm for late August through a great deal of September, I have to agree with Ian: Most of meteorological fall is going to show more cold fronts as the period progresses. Starting in September we should see stronger cold fronts with lower humidity values and by the end of October we should be in full fall swing with the warm humid days as the exceptions. If I am wrong then that will be the exception, not the rule. Law of averages.

Posted by: pjdunn1 | August 11, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Much-needed rain crowd checking in!

What a horrific summer. It can't be over fast enough, although 3 weeks' worth of a "working vacation" in Provincetown/Cape Cod will ease the burden shortly!

And let's not forget our drought. National Airport remains fully 4.55" below-normal for the year (I surmise that NW Spotsy is in even worse shape). CWG, do we remain in Moderate Drought status by the NWS? Prolonged heat has hastened evaporation, so I suspect we are.

Looking forward to our first raw, rainy, chilly day this fall!

Posted by: TominMichiganParkDC | August 11, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

We could really use some rain. Any hopes of remnants of the TD in the gulf heading our way?

Posted by: weathergrrl | August 11, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

(Drought map) -- Most of the 95 area from here up toward Baltimore lost the drought classification though "dry" seems to be creeping again. Much of Virginia is now under a growing drought. It extends up into WV and over toward the MD/DE area. We were fortunate to pick up a fair amount of rain in the last few weeks -- a lot of others did not. There does seem to be indication that the next week or so could present a few good rain threats, tomorrow/tomorrow night could get that kicked off.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | August 11, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

We're going to have a cold snap?

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | August 11, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse