The new Washington
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 08/20/2010

PM Update: Warm but pleasant start to weekend

By Ian Livingston

Another 90+ possible tomorrow, then more 80s

* Good fishing weather... for turtles | Forecasting hurricanes (part 1) *
* Outside now? Radar, lightning, temps & more: Weather Wall *

Day 54 of 90+ temperatures in D.C. is in the records, and we're now only 5 away from tying for the second most all time. But we're also getting some good distance from the hottest time of the year and if guidance for the coming period is any real indication, we might not be adding a lot more 90s to the tally. 90s aside, this is looking like a pretty solid start to the weekend this evening and tonight, so get out and enjoy!

Through Tonight: It's going to be a warm but fairly pleasant evening as temperatures fall to the low-or-mid 80s around sunset. Mostly clear skies persist through the night and readings fall to lows in the mid-60s to around 70.

Tomorrow (Saturday): Partly to mostly sunny skies start the weekend off nicely Saturday. It should be another warm one, but perhaps a little cooler than today. Look for highs to rise to the upper 80s and lower 90s.

See Camden Walker's forecast through the beginning of next week. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Not so summery: Unlike these parts, much of the West Coast has been much cooler than normal this summer. In San Francisco, where temperatures are averaging close to 5 degrees below average so far, the air has also been much cleaner than usual thanks to the continued onshore flow.

By Ian Livingston  | August 20, 2010; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fun Friday video: 2nd chance for bad weatherman
Next: SkinsCast: Summery and a little sticky

Comments

Continuing the cricket discussion from earlier today, according Appalachian folklore the first frost comes six weeks after the crickets start chirping in late summer.

Let 'em chirp away, and if we get an early snow, maybe Walter will sculpt a snow cricket.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | August 20, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

It's been loud at night recently with crickets, etc... maybe I'll try to make a recording tonight.

Last year we got an early snow overnight October 17-18, 2009 over a pretty small area of the Blue Ridge in the vicinity of Chester Gap. For some reason, I'd be a little surprised if it happens again this year, but who knows...

Posted by: spgass1 | August 20, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

yikes, all this talk of frost and snow! pleeeeeasse give me a little late-summer autumn. Gosh I love me some low temps around 50 degrees, high around 70! ;)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | August 20, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I'd imagine we won't see snow for a while yet, I'm also looking forward to autumn.. maybe the best season here.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | August 20, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Yeah... Autumn is my favorite season. Though I am an advocate for 4 distinct seasons a year (as opposed to some places where there is a rainy season and a dry season or a mild winter and a hot summer with some sort of gradual transition)I sure wouldn't mind a summer with low dew points and temps in the low 80's. One can fantasize, eh?
I am an outdoor person and an amateur naturalist. I say this only to lend credence to my next statement: I agree that this summer's nightly insect chorus does seem to be louder and more pronounced than in years past. The crickets and katydids are going full blast into the wee hours of the morning when in years past they usually quiet down.
A neat trick any one can try at home, as long as you have some tree/bushes and katydids calling. The males are the ones that are singing and they are looking for one thing and one thing only: females. If you stand under a tree or near a bush with trees nearby, you can mimic the responding call of the female to the males call. Just click your tongue on the roof of your mouth immediately after you hear a nearby katydid. With a little practice you will be able to draw the males down and some even land on your shoulders and head! Of course some may think this is wrong and it interferes with the normal life cycle of the katydid. To this I say... Don't worry. No katydids are harmed during the performance.
Have fun and let's hope for a beautiful autumn.

Posted by: pjdunn1 | August 20, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

So wrong...teasing those poor katydids.
I gotta try it.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | August 21, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Here's what I've done--put a female katydid in your window between the glass pane and the outer screen; she will draw males to the screen.

Same thing works for female giant silk moths, but the male is attracted not by the sound, but by the odor of the female's pheromone or hormone--some male moths can sniff a molecule of this hormone at a distance of over a mile with their antennae. It's easy to tell the sex of a giant silk moth--the males have much broader feathery antennae than the females. Clear warm spring nights may allow this pheromone to be dispersed at a greater distance than on cooler, wetter nights.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | August 21, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse