The new Washington
Posted at 10:00 AM ET, 08/17/2010

Predict number of 90+ days, win prize

By Jason Samenow

* Will we hit 90 today? Full Forecast | Talking climate-weather links *

From yesterday's edition of Lori's A.M. Buzz in the Breaking News Blog:

Washington Post editors
How good are your weather predicting powers? Because weather has been on most everyone's mind so much this year, we thought we'd launch a contest to celebrate the end of summer. As of August 11, we've had 50 90+ degree days, which believe it or not, isn't a record. In 1980, there were 67 90+ days. Tell us how many 90+ degree days you think we'll have by Sept. 21. Send an email to aratanil@washpost.com with your guess. Whoever guesses the correct number of days will receive a $25 Best Buy gift card. In the event of a tie, we'll put all the correct answers into a hat and pick a winner. (If your work for the Post or any affiliated Post companies, you're not eligible to enter.) You'll have until Wednesday, August 18 to send in your guesses. Good luck.

Of course, CWG readers know that through yesterday, we're up to 52 90+ days. So go ahead and email your educated prediction, and may the best forecaster win...

By Jason Samenow  | August 17, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Capital Weather Gang
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Nicer today; rain tomorrow
Next: Weather and war throughout history

Comments

A slightly different topic, but is July or August generally the hottest month in the DC area? Some friends and I were debating this weekend and I said July...

...on the basis of which I'll predict 58 90+ days this year.

Posted by: pitchtorobert | August 17, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

@pitchtorobert

You're right-- July is hotter than August... While early August is often oppressive, by late in the month, average highs drop into the low-to-mid 80s and we get our share of nice days...

Some links:

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | August 17, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I'll go with 63 days.

Posted by: cloudking1 | August 17, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

To all:

While we welcome you to comment here with your predictions, if you wish to be eligible for the prize, be sure to email aratanil@washpost.com with your guess

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | August 17, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

hhhmmmm.... how often do 90 degree days happen after september 21? that seems like a pretty arbitrary cut off to me.

anyway, i'm guessing 68 for the year.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 17, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I think 62. (Already emailed my guess). Unless we have an unusually warm September, it's going to be tough to break that record.

Posted by: crazer | August 17, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

@walter

Sep 21 is end of astronomical summer. It's true we could get 90+ some point later...but Lori presumably thought that was a reasonable cutoff.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | August 17, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Walter, because you said 68, I'll say 69.

Posted by: eric654 | August 17, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

eric,
DOH!

CWG,
i understand that's technically the end of summer, but sometimes the weather/thermometers don't know that....

so, what's the average # of 90+ degree days after sept.21? what's the record? how many did 1980 have?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 17, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I hesitate to share my prediction here since names will be put into a hat in the event of a tie... but I just emailed my prediction of 60.

Posted by: spgass1 | August 17, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I remember the summer of '80 very well - heckova summer heat-wise. Glad it's getting a little attention even if it's just a watch to see if its records fall

Posted by: hohandy1 | August 17, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

till Sep 21

Posted by: LoudounGeek | August 17, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

61 days of 90+

Posted by: VaTechBob | August 17, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I predict 69 days of 90 degree weather.

Posted by: dgauci | August 18, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I predict 69 days of 90 degree weather.

Posted by: dgauci | August 18, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse