The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:50 AM ET, 08/18/2010

Rain totals mounting, heaviest moving northeast

By Jason Samenow

Flood warnings extended through 12:15 p.m.

* Warning map | Full Forecast thru weekend | Storm impacts: PostLocal *
* Outside now? Radar & more: Weather Wall | Share storm photos *

Radar & lightning: Latest D.C. area radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Bands of heavy rain showers - often moving over the same locations - have produced impressive rainfall amounts since early this morning and flooding. Rain totals have mostly fallen in the 0.75"-3" range with some locally heavier and lighter amounts. The jackpot has been southern to central Montgomery County (with a report of more more than 3.5" in Rockville), northern Fairfax County and northwest D.C.

Here are a few other impressive reports (through around 9:00 a.m.):

American University in D.C.: 2.95"
West Bethesda, Md: 3.13"
Northeast Oakton, Va.: 2.56"

The image below shows doppler estimated rainfall through 10:30 a.m.

raintotals-08182010.gif
Doppler estimated rainfall totals through 10:30 a.m. Image source Weather Underground.

For the remainder of the morning, showers will continue on-and-off and may be heavy at times. The heaviest additional totals will tend to occur northeast of the District where another 0.5-1" could fall. Most other spots should see less than 0.5" from here on and out. By early afternoon, the heaviest of the rain should largely be moving out of the metro area.

The rest of the afternoon should be cloudy with more widely scattered showers, and temps holding in the 70s. There is a chance (50%) of some additional moderate-to-heavy rainfall towards evening and overnight. See our latest full forecast, and check back for updates.

How much rain has fallen where you are? Comment below...

By Jason Samenow  | August 18, 2010; 10:50 AM ET
Categories:  Floods, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Flood warnings for much of D.C. area this morning
Next: Forecast: Heavy rain briefly interrupts summer

Comments

Got just about 2.7 inches in McLean as of 11:00am. It has been raining heavily for the past two hours or so.

Posted by: HokieTerp | August 18, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

What about the giant slug of rain getting ready to cross I-81?

Posted by: tengoalyrunr30 | August 18, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I was in the area where 267 merges with 66 right about 7am and it was coming down like it did during Hanna a few years ago. Im definitely buying those highest amounts in that area on the estimated Doppler.

Posted by: DullesARC | August 18, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

@tengoalyrunr30

Through a good part of the afternoon-- that rain should stay west of us. However, there is a chance it impacts us towards evening. Had added some text to this post to that effect probably while you we're writing your comment :)

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | August 18, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

@Jason

Thanks! Wasn't sure of the timing on all of that moisture.

Posted by: tengoalyrunr30 | August 18, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I posted last night asking about the exclusion of MoCo from the flood watch, and this is the exact reason why. :)

Has anyone ever looked into whether local topography or any other factors cause some sort of a convergence zone that seems to bring 3/4 of the "jackpot" rain during summer and fall to a line stretching roughly from Great Falls to Beltsville?

I moved from Falls Church/Mclean to Silver Spring in 2003, and I remember even before that, constantly seeing pictures of the heaviest rains (and damage) from various storms in Great Falls, Potomac, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Silver Spring, Upper NW & NE DC, Hyattsville, College Park, etc.

Posted by: vtavgjoe | August 18, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

So reminiscent of last winter.

Every other place gets bombed, but
D(irgeful) C(limate) A(byss) comes up short.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | August 18, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I wore my snorkle to work today.

Posted by: kbockl | August 18, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1, this was a pretty thin band with the heaviest. I don't think DCA is necessarily on its own here.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | August 18, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Ian, I live not far south of AU, which means a much heavier total. Certainly the streets and sidewalks were awash with mud and water earlier.

Looking at the Acuweather two-week, I see only one 90-degree day listed. Can the nighmarish heat finally have ended? Or will there be a September thermal blast?

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | August 18, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Fall lovers, this rain will help make the foliage this coming autumn look good!!! Focus on that as your slog through your days!

Posted by: authorofpoetry | August 18, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the silver lining authorofpoetry. I've been daydream about Fall for the last few weeks. Visions of crunchy leaves, cool temps and crisp sunny afternoons watching football are dancing in my head...

Posted by: CuseFan07 | August 18, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Cusefan - Yeah, me too! My wife thinks I am pathetic but yesterday my 5-year old daughter came up to us and said, 'Whew, it's too hot. I want Fall!' It was the proudest moment I have had as a father :)

Posted by: authorofpoetry | August 18, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Will we be getting a PM update on additional rain, if any, headed our way this afternoon/evening?

Thanks!

Posted by: mcaicedo | August 18, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Uh-Oh..looks like another blob of heavy rain heading toward Bethesda ~3:26PM..

Posted by: jws3 | August 18, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

It felt like all 3 inches in Bethesda fell in the 20mins I walked to the metro SOAKED. A couple of photos at www.BethesdaActually.com

Posted by: SnowLover1 | August 18, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse