The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:45 AM ET, 08/19/2010

Yesterday's rainfall totals

By Jason Samenow

* Drying out, more 90+ days on the way: Full Forecast *

Some impressive rainfall totals have come in from yesterday's deluge that caused flooding in many locations. Thought I'd highlight some amounts which varied substantially (highest amounts from northern Fairfax county through northwest D.C. and into central/southern Montgomery county):

Airports:

National Airport: 0.52"
Dulles Airport: 1.39" (record for date)
BWI: 0.89"

Weatherbug (h/t Jennifer Gilmore, Senior Marketing Director, Weatherbug):

St. Francis / St. Camillus on New Hampshire Ave in Silver Spring, Md: 4.14"
Adelphi Elementary in Adelphi, Md.: 4.05"
University of Maryland main campus in College Park, Md.: 3.73"
Chevy Chase Elementary in Chevy Chase, Md.: 3.64"
Bradley Hills Elementary in Bethesda, Md.: 3.29"

CWG readers (via comments and Twitter):

@jojo2008: 2.75" in NE DC (Capitol hill area) thus far [through 2:37 p.m. yesterday]
@steske: I'm sure glad that second line fell apart/went south late yesterday because I had received 4.22" from the first line here in SS/TP [Silver Spring/Takoma Park]. Now have gotten 8.23" for the month.
@Joel_M_Lane: My rain gauge reading in North Arlington near Marymount was 3.1" at the end of the day. About 2.7 of that fell before 730 am or so
@joshlarson: parents in Chevy Chase are reporting over 4" of rain in the past 24 hours, for a monthly total of close to 9"

See also National Weather Service rainfall reports (published at 12:27 p.m. yesterday). For doppler radar estimated totals through yesterday mid-morning, see our post from yesterday.

How much fell in your backyard? Comment below...

By Jason Samenow  | August 19, 2010; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  Floods
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Sun and warmth to return
Next: Forecasting hurricanes: Part 1

Comments

For that I needed to go pick up sandbags? And only four at that.

Posted by: ennepe68 | August 19, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure my neighborhood got more than a half inch. What's the issue at DCA?...though I must admit that my flight from the Twin Cities was only half an hour late...most of that was due to a late Delta flight attendant in the Cities.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | August 19, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

1" at my location in eastern Warren Co. The drought monitor for Virginia was unchanged this week from data through Tuesday. We'll have to wait a whole week to see the impact from this recent batch of rain...

Posted by: spgass1 | August 19, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Around 4 inches of rain in northern silver spring

Posted by: bgaffney491 | August 19, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Unlike SP up on the Blue Ridge, my part of Warren county (essentially right in the middle) got 0.2 inches. It stayed dry under the cedar trees. The mitigating factor was on Monday when a line was predicted to move east and nothing happened except for the "Front Royal thunderstorm", I got 1.4 inches out of that.

Posted by: eric654 | August 19, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Bombo47jea, there is no issue with DCA other than being south of the fairly thin heavy band.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | August 19, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Arcola,VA - Measured about 1.5 inches in my backyard, near IAD.

Posted by: LoudounGeek | August 19, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

.10" of rain in NW Spotsy. Once again the dome was in place.

Posted by: VaTechBob | August 19, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Since I don't have a proper gauge, I have to rely on eyeing several buckets around the yard. My buckets tell me that my part of Herndon picked up around 3 inches total since the beginning of Sunday.

Posted by: fsd50 | August 19, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse