The new Washington
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 09/10/2010

Forecast: Perfect pair of days 'til Sunday showers

By Camden Walker

* Drought watch issued by Council of Governments - How bad is it? *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall | NatCast *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

Elation! 70s with sun and a refreshing breeze... I tell ya: NOTHING BETTER!

Get the 'Digit' on Twitter

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly sunny, light breeze. Mid-to-upper 70s. | Tonight: Mostly clear. 50s. | Tomorrow: Mostly sunny. Upper 70s to near 80. | Sunday: Mostly cloudy. 50-60% chance of showers. Upper 70s to low 80s. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

A. Camden WalkerGet ready for a fantastic couple of days. The stuff for which our Nice Day Sun was made! So get out and enjoy this cooler, drier air mass. There's a decent chance Saturday night into Sunday could have some showers, maybe a thunderstorm. The remnants of Tropical Storm Hermine, which came ashore in Texas earlier this week, are partly to blame -- or to thank, considering we could use some rain. Nice weather returns as we start a new work week.

Today (Friday): Sunny skies through the morning may see a few more clouds scattering the afternoon sky. But truly gorgeous today, I would say. A refreshing breeze from the northwest, 10-15 mph at times, helps keep temperatures slightly cooler than yesterday with highs in the mid-to-upper 70s. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Enjoy a nice evening walk, instead of a cab or short subway ride. Some of you may want to dress in layers because our bodies aren't used to temperatures below 70, which is where they're headed around and after sunset. Skies are mostly clear and winds are light as overnight lows dip to the 50s. Think autumn! Confidence: Medium-High

How overjoyed are you with this weather? Vote your call for today's Daily Digit (see Daily Digit box above). And keep reading for the forecast into next week...

Tomorrow (Saturday): I think you'll be pleased with gorgeous sunshine and enjoyable upper 70s, maybe near 80 in spots. Light and variable breezes probably start to come more consistently from the south during the day, and some clouds may be approaching or moving in toward sunset. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: The light breeze from the south slowly increases our air's moisture level. Just a tad more humid feeling, and clouds will thicken. Chances (30-40%) for showers increase as the night progresses, especially after midnight. Temperatures should be warmer than the previous couple of nights, only bottoming in the 60s. Confidence: Medium

Sunday: A cold front and the remnants of Tropical Storm Hermine combine for a solid 50-60% chance of showers, especially in the morning (may not be the best morning for softball and kickball leagues), and maybe a thunderstorm. This may be our only chance in the next week at much-needed rain, so fingers crossed. Despite mostly cloudy skies, highs should still make the upper 70s, perhaps low 80s if some sun pokes through. Shower chances should be decreasing by or during the afternoon. Confidence: Low-Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Sunday night The shower threat should be finished by evening -- in time for the Redskins home opener. Skies clear and we should see some stars with lows in the upper 50s to low 60s. Confidence: Medium

Monday & Tuesday should be mostly sunny and warm with highs in the 80s. Humidity may not be as low as we've seen this week, but probably not all that high either. Not too bad a start to a new work week, but the question remains, when can we get more rain? Confidence: Medium

By Camden Walker  | September 10, 2010; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Natcast: Marvelous for the Marlins
Next: Igor may be a miss; more 'cane season to come

Comments

Getting close to a 10, so keep it going for a while. So nice having the a/c off and letting natural air inside.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | September 10, 2010 5:20 AM | Report abuse

P.S. If the temperature actually stays below 80 today, I think this will be only the second time since June 9 this has happened. And more 70s appear to be on the way.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | September 10, 2010 5:24 AM | Report abuse

Yes! Windows open is amazing... so great! (much cheaper too haha) - doesn't it feel exceptionally refreshing after this long summer? It would be amazing to stay below a the chilly 80 degree mark :)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | September 10, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Ahhh...how can anyone not like Fall? Seriously?!?! This is spectacular weather. I think dreams are richer and more real when the open windows allow cool, refreshing air in at night. Pumpkin latte tastes better on a cool morning. Work still sucks in Fall but hey, you can't win them all!

Posted by: authorofpoetry | September 10, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

authorofpoetry - wow I agree with you so much, on all counts! So I take it you rate today a 10. eh?

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | September 10, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Does yesterday count as a 90+ day at DCA? See 6 hour max from http://www.erh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KDCA.html

Posted by: eric654 | September 10, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Camden - The only thing that would make this day better is if I was in my backyard instead of my cubicle and the fall colors were starting...I can wait a few weeks though!

Posted by: authorofpoetry | September 10, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

eric654 - I am not sure how to interpret this, but you did indeed find a 94F reading.. I think it is screwy... and needs to be verified!

authorofpoetry - foliage is exciting stuff. But wish it would turn colors downtown prior to, well, late October. mehh.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | September 10, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

CWG-Thanks for holding the showers until Sunday (I'm pretty sure that was your doing). I'll be at Wolf Trap tommorrow night to see the King return and am quite excited over the royal forecast.

Why yes, I am a LOTR freak, why do you ask?

Posted by: mcaicedo | September 10, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

haha, mcaicedo - do enjoy. I really couldn't think of a more perfect night on the lawn at Wolf Trap. It may be near 60 when you leave, so consider a light jacket? ps, youre welcome RE sunday showers ;)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | September 10, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

eric654 - I am seeing a few sources now having corrected info on yesterday's high temperature = 81F

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | September 10, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Lovely weather! Can't wait to go for a nice, long run this afternoon. Would be deeply grateful for some rain tho'.

Posted by: Akabang | September 10, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Akabang - indeed we do need rain. But for the short-term, I like your partaking in the nice air for a run. Air quality remains good in all categories through Saturday! Much less strenuous on lungs than many days in the last two months. On Sunday, it may turn into a code Yellow "Moderate" - but still nothing to worry about really (until code Orange "Unhealthful")

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | September 10, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

It looks like clouds are moving in from the NE on the satellite, and out my window. What happened to this perfectly clear #10 day?

Posted by: dhb2 | September 10, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

An absolutely spectacular day out there! If today is a 10, what will tomorrow be, an 11?
But Lord do we need the rain. Everybody do a raindance for Sunday please .....

Posted by: weathergrrl | September 10, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Socked in with gray clouds in Alexandria. Not really a "10" in my book.

Posted by: KEBV | September 10, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's cold outside! I miss the 90-degrees already!

CWG: is tomorrow still going to be as "sunny" as today is? If so, will it be like today's 100% cloud cover type of sunny, or the more traditional blue-sky kind? ;)

Posted by: mrwrinkle | September 10, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I see how it is. Surge of comments from all of you who can WAIT to spot clouds, eh?? Well I refuse your complaints haha. It is a perfect, room-temperature, 72F out there right now. UV rays are still moderate, so you can still tan! But ok, yes, these scattered clouds are sticking around more than I would have thought. Colder air aloft, out of Canada, has invaded from the north & west. Alas, clouds may be undesirable, but the temperature and overall conditions = sublime

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | September 10, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Bright sun in Metro Center!! I want to see other reports of sun - can you look out your window & report please? :)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | September 10, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Heavy clouds, some looking to be tinged with rain (?) all over Farragut Square and as far as the eye can see. Chilly, too.

Posted by: Addilette | September 10, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

@Camden, Very cloudy in Glover Park. A few minutes ago, on Channel 7, Adam Caskey was talking about how these clouds form (apparently has to do with the midday sun and the cooler air); he said they'll soon disappate.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | September 10, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Addilette - no rain on the high definition radar scope. I promise.

JerryFloyd1 - sounds like a good assessment. Thanks!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | September 10, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

@mrwrinkle

Camden's forecast mentions afternoon clouds. We weren't forecasting full sun. Admittedly the cloud deck is a little thicker than we thought, but should gradually erode. If you look on satellite, we're on the very south edge of this cloud cover.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | September 10, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Authorofpoetry: I'm actually one of those Fall haters, although I do recognize that I'm in the minority. To me, fall just heralds the impending doom of winter. everything dies or becomes dormant. the days become noticeably shorter. shadows grow longer and cast everything in a wistful light. It's all saying, "goodbye long, warm days of summer. Hello bleak, bitter days of winter." Very sad. That said, I'm not a season hater. I love Spring and Summer. Oh yeah.

Posted by: rhingo | September 10, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

@mrwrinkle

To answer your last question, yes, more sun tomorrow than today :)

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | September 10, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the responses! (I was teasing somewhat, btw -- except for the bit about missing the 90's...)

@Camden: I thought I saw the sun a few mins ago in SE... but it turned out to be someone's car headlights. It's very gloomy today... :)

Posted by: mrwrinkle | September 10, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Looks rather cloudy to me right now.

Tom Skilling says the Greenland Block may be re-establishing. There's also the possibility of a Rex Block over Alaska and the northern Pacific. Could another big-snow winter be in the cards somewhere along the Eastern Seaboard???

Posted by: Bombo47jea | September 10, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

rhingo: I'm also in the "don't like fall" minority - mostly because of the dwindling daylight (though I welcome the cooler temps). As a child I used to like fall for Halloween and Thanksgiving. Now the season just spells a hectic rush into commercialized holidays and coming home from work in the dark. The middle of winter is almost better when you know spring is just around the corner. That said, all seasons have something good to offer. The monotony of the tropics isn't my thing either.

Posted by: meteorolinguist | September 10, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

mrwrinkle - sounds gloomy indeed if you mistook headlights for sun!

meteorolinguist - first off, are you really into/studying meteorology & linguistics? super neat topics, both! Second, the dwindling daylight is a factor for my S.A.D. by November ;)

Bombo47jea - you are funny--but are you trying to be sensationalist with snow hype?? :) -- you likely know, like I do, that having a repeat of a climatological anomalous winter, like this past winter, astronomically unlikely ;)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | September 10, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Any details on what the weather conditions will be like for the 7 a.m. start of the Parks Half Marathon in Rockville Sunday?

Posted by: trollboy69 | September 10, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

@Camden: awesome topics yes, but super unrelated ;) And yes, I think some SAD is what spurred my astute observations of sunsets. DC doesn't even have terribly short days in the winter though. That's why we only get an 8:37 sunset in June instead of 9:30 or later in some more northern locations around the globe.

Posted by: meteorolinguist | September 10, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse