The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:11 PM ET, 09/29/2010

NOAA: Rainfall may be "very dangerous"

By Jason Samenow

* Overview of impacts from tropical storm Nicole's remnants *
* Outlook through the weekend: Full Forecast | NatCast *
* Nicole not so tropical | Hurricane Tracking Center *
* Flash flood watch into Thurs. | Wind Advisory eastern suburbs (map) *

hpc-excessive-092910.gif
NOAA's Hydrometeorological Prediction Center is highlighting the potential for maximum rainfall totals to exceed five inches over parts of the mid-Atlantic, including the D.C. metro region. Source: NOAA.

NOAA's Hydrometeorological Prediction Center (HPC) is sounding the alarm bells about possible flooding in the mid-Atlantic, including the entire D.C. metro region.

In its "Excessive Rainfall Discussion" released at 2:41 p.m., it warned of a:

...VERY DANGEROUS EXCESSIVE RAINFALL/FLASH FLOOD EVENT FOR THE MID-ATLANTIC INTO NORTHEASTERN U.S...

and cautioned:

...SETUP IS SOMEWHAT SIMILAR TO THE JUNE 26-29...2006 HEAVY RAINFALL EVENT...

During that event, parts of the metro region received up to 10" of rain. (For more on that historic event, scroll through the archived coverage on CapitalWeather.com, Capital Weather Gang's predecessor)

HPC's technical discussion concludes:

RAINFALL RATES AROUND TWO INCHES PER HR ARE EXPECTED WITH LOCAL TOTALS OF 5-10 INCHES BY THU EVE.

We are currently analyzing the latest information and deciding whether to increase our forecast rain totals of 1-4" (with locally higher amounts).

By Jason Samenow  | September 29, 2010; 3:11 PM ET
Categories:  Floods
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Moisture from tropics to feed D.C. rainmaker
Next: PM Update: Rain underway, much more to come

Comments

You have to admit that headline -- Rainfall may be very dangerous is a bit funny.

Flooding is dangerous we know that.

Very dangerous?

Sorry to be sarcastic but I couldn't help it.

And thanks for the warning. This means staying inside if possible.

Posted by: jaybird926 | September 29, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

From my experience having a very flooded basement during the June 26-29, 2006 event: prepare your sump pump, clean out your storm drains tonight and have a dehumidifier handy. Also use extreme caution if you have to drive...So many cars were stranded during that storm. It sure had an impact on the region.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | September 29, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

jaybird926, I can understand your thoughts. It is a potentially dangerous situation for some, but a majority will be just fine outside some possible inconvenience. Nevertheless, those at most risk should know that this has the potential to be more than your average rain event.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | September 29, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Good point Ian.

Posted by: jaybird926 | September 29, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Hi, I'm going to be driving from Bethesda to just outside Philly tomorrow, starting around 2 p.m. I can't tell when the brunt of the storm will hit which areas, so I'm wondering if you think the drive will be difficult, impossible, or take longer than 4.5 hours? (There's a wedding rehearsal at 6:30 and I originally thought allowing 4.5 hours travel time was generous, but now I'm nervous!) Thanks!

Posted by: iscribe | September 29, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

@iscribe

Good news is rain may be winding down in DC around that time. However, you may drive into the backside of the storm a bit. So you'll probably deal with some rain, but 4.5 hours should be enough.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | September 29, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Geez, is Henry Margusity moonlighting at the HPC now?? I think their presentation of this system is just a BIT overdramatic - and I think folks who normally contend with flooding during potentially heavy rain events like this (think Cameron Run residents in Alexandria) have more than been put on alert this week.

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | September 29, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

So for my friends who are flying in from London and landing at BWI at 7:30pm Thursday -- sounds like they shouldn't be too affected by this??

Posted by: KSCB | September 29, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I need to be in williamsburg, VA for an early morning meeting. Would it be best to leave tonight and stay at a hotel or drive early tomorrow morning. Will the brunt of the storm be there by tomorrow AM? thanks for the advice.

Posted by: jdcbald | September 29, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Mmmm, sounds exciting to me. I'm a thunderstorm kind of girl. But then I'm also a blow dryer, lap top and TV girl so I hope the lights don't go out!

Posted by: SusanMarie2 | September 29, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

clean out your gutters and make sure your downspouts are not dumping water along your basement wall.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 29, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse