The new Washington

By Ian Livingston

More fall-like weather ahead

* Rapping weatherman won't be rapping | D.C.'s last August sunrise *
* Outside now? Radar, temperatures & more: Weather Wall *
* Number of 90+ days: 61 (Record: 67, 1980) | NatCast *

updated at 5:00 p.m.

We're getting another late taste of summer here today but it won't be terribly long lived. Temperatures have risen to near 90 or into the low 90s, and with dew points near or above 60 most of the day, it's not super comfortable out. Tomorrow will be another warm one, but probably a little less so and also with a bit drier air mass. After that, we close out the work week on a splendid note.

Through Tonight: Temperatures dip back into the low-and-mid 80s around sunset under mostly clear skies. The night remains rather uneventful, though we pick up some more clouds by morning and maybe a quick shower. Lows range from the mid-60s to around 70.

Tomorrow (Wednesday): A cold front brings in drier air and perhaps an isolated morning shower, but we don't lose too much on the temperature side right away. Expect mostly sunny skies and a sometimes stiff breeze from the west as highs rise into the mid-to-upper 80s. Sustained winds around 10 mph with some gusts past 20 mph are likely.

See Matt Rogers' forecast through the beginning of next week. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Tropics: If you were enjoying the day yesterday you may have completely missed Tropical Storm Hermine. Hermine rapidly formed in the Bay of Campeche south southeast of Texas late Sunday night and quickly developed into a strong storm yesterday before making landfall in northern Mexico. Read more about the storm from Jeff Masters at Weather Underground. With Hermine under our belt, this season has now seen 8 named storms compared to the average to date of 5.

By Ian Livingston  | September 7, 2010; 3:20 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The last August sunrise, 2010
Next: NatCast: Nice one for Nats-Mets matinee

Comments

Made it to at least 93 today. I wonder how many people guessed 61 days in the Best Buy contest? Because it's possible today will be the last 90-degree day between now and Sept. 21. If so, woo-hoo!!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | September 7, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the temp went up 4 degrees in the last hour at National and the dew point fell 11 degrees! What would make that happen? The wind went from southerly to SW but could that be enough to have such a drastic drop in the dew points? Not complaining, just a thought.

Posted by: pjdunn1 | September 7, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

A wind shift could be enough in this situation, from off the river to a downsloping dry wind. This could even be the last 90+ of the year but it's probably too soon to say that.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | September 7, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I predicted 61 days, looks like that is going 2 b the winning #.
Unless we get a tropical sys. no rain 4 the next 2 weeks. Trees r really going 2 start showing the stress from the dry cond.
Local farmers in this area r really hurting 4 some rain. I guess they can go dancing.

Posted by: VaTechBob | September 7, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I also predicted 61 90+ days. Looks like a crowded field. Can't dance because of a foot injury, but my tomatoes still need water and so do my croton plants.

Posted by: kperl | September 7, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Wow certain posters really needs to take their prozac. None of our wishes/comments actually affect the weather (unless you're nine and think that wearing your pajamas backwards gets you a day off from school/fed'l gov't work), so dancers can hope their won't be rain and you don't have to wallow in misery as though his thoughts control the weather. Likewise, I can hope for more dry, sunny pool days without accidentally voo-dooing an extension of our dreary drought!

I'm actually upset that we hit 90 today and possibly tomorrow instead of on the weekend, because those "lovely" eighties and refreshing breezes made for some chilly swimming at the pool. Also....dare I say it? ... I really really want the high temp to hit '90 a few more times so I can still catch some rays at the pool after work before fall sets in.

Posted by: kolya02 | September 7, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I said 62, so I'm rooting for at least one more 90.

Posted by: crazer | September 7, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I said 69 so we'll need another solid week of heat. But hey, if I'm going to be miserable I might as well be paid to be miserable.

Posted by: eric654 | September 7, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse