The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:30 PM ET, 09/23/2010

PM Update: Hot today and scorching tomorrow

By Ian Livingston

An isolated shower/storm possible this evening

* Summer heat stats | D.C.: Worst summer in U.S. | NatCast *
* Outside now? Radar, temperatures & more: Weather Wall *
* No. of 90+ days so far: 65 | Record: 67 (1980, final of yr on Sept 23) *

It's hot, it's humid, it's what we've come to expect this summer. Wait, no... it's not summer anymore. Well, it is hot and humid... again. Temperatures have climbed back into the lower 90s most spots this afternoon and just one or two cooling showers are roaming over the far western suburbs. This evening will be mild, the overnight warm, and tomorrow somewhat of a scorcher.

Radar & lightning: Latest D.C. area radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Through Tonight: There may be an isolated shower through early evening, but most spots won't see any rain. Otherwise, skies are mostly clear with temperatures dipping not too far, only into the mid-60s to near 70.

Tomorrow (Friday): If this is our last 90+ of the year, we're going out with a bang. Mostly sunny skies and winds from the southwest combine to create a very hot one that may take some records along with it. Look for highs to reach the mid-90s most spots, with perhaps even a few upper 90s around. National's record high tomorrow is 94 and Dulles' is 92.

See David Streit's forecast through the beginning of next week. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Tropics:A disturbance moving through the Caribbean Sea has been classified as Tropical Depression #15 and it is expected to become Tropical Storm Matthew soon. The National Hurricane Center is calling for the system to eventually become a hurricane as it tracks toward the coast of Belize. After that point, forecasts become tricky as a low pressure and associated cold front moving through the U.S. may pick the storm up and pull it toward the Gulf Coast. It is also possible that a heavy rain event may move up the East Coast after that time. We will continue to monitor potential U.S. impacts over the coming days.

By Ian Livingston  | September 23, 2010; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weather Channel: D.C. had worst summer in U.S.
Next: NatCast: Balmy for the Braves

Comments

While I don't love this continuation of our extreme heat, I'm never in a rush for winter, so I'm willing to live with this since it gives me the feeling that summer's lasting just a little longer...

And I know this is off topic - but does anyone know what's going on with CWG's RSS feed? I rely on my feed-reader to keep up, and there have been no updates since 9/21. Did I miss something?

Posted by: jcats | September 23, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Any way I can get a list of the top ten hottest days in January? Date and high temp?

Posted by: snowlover | September 23, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Went bass fishing on the Potomac 2day, & man did it get hot. Had 1 of the lowest tides I've ever seen, without a strong NW or NE wind. We did have a good day catching fish, but I was really fried when I got off the water. There r a lot of crabs swimming around in Aquia this yr, alot more than most yrs. Grasses r still thriving in the river.
The only showers I'll c the next 7 days will b the 1 in my bathroom.
At least we can all dance.

Posted by: VaTechBob | September 23, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a couple of cells brewing west of Dulles, just like yesterday. Please don't let this be a replay of last night. I lost power for the 4th time this summer (thank you, PEPCO...)

Posted by: vtavgjoe | September 23, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vtavgjoe | September 23, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

The only reason I can't stand the heat this late in the season is mosquitos! I so look forward to long sleeves and long pants so that I don't have to feel slimy all day long. Another couple of days of either feely dirty all the time or accumulating more bites.

Yuck.

Posted by: cqjudge | September 23, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Big downpour happening in Fair Oaks area. On radar big cell just exploded out of nowhere.

Posted by: rwalker66 | September 23, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Bob Ryan, who to me is one of the supreme OCMs, just called for two more 90 degree days so we can break the record. NO!!!!!!! The longer it stays warm, the longer it takes the ground too cool down enough for snow to stick. (I may have just inadvertently created a weather myth.)

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | September 23, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Yay! Wet pavement & puddles in parched Centreville. Perhaps a tenth of an inch......please send more.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | September 23, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't even know a puddle looks like.
Yard is now a desert.

Posted by: VaTechBob | September 23, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

What a puudle looks like.

Posted by: VaTechBob | September 23, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

snowlover: 1/26/1950, 79; 1/15/1932, 77; 1/30/2002, 77; 01/12/1890, 76; 1/7/1907, 76; 1/22/1927, 76; 1/14/1932, 76; 1/9/1937, 76; 1/29/1975, 76; 1/13/1932, 75

3 other days had a high of 75, most recently in 1975. 53 JAN days have had a high of 70 or greater.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | September 23, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Think we will break the 90 temp record. 2 more 90 days after 2morrow. Look 4 warm dry weather 2 cont. thru Oct.
Winter looking mild, with little snow.

Posted by: VaTechBob | September 23, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

VaTechBob, the biggest problem is just that we're almost out of time unless we set a record for latest 90+ or something (which I will admit does not seem impossible this year). Guidance has gone up for Saturday temp-wise and is now pretty close to 90, so it seems we may have at least have a chance to tie this weekend. After that the models are showing a pretty decent East Coast low-pressure trough and moisture interaction from the tropics... Sure that's a little hard to believe verbatim given the persistent heat but it's bound to happen for a time at least once. ;) That brings us into Oct and gives only a few days historically to flip back "hot". I would not bet we'll see any more after this period...

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | September 23, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

The record will be broken. This is DC Metro area Crazy Weather Year.
Don't care so much about that as getting some sustained rainfall.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | September 23, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

FIREDRAGON47, hey there.. yeah we really need the rain. It is a year of extremes, eh? But I like your priorities. Yes I complain about the heat--even get grumpy haha--but I will take humid high dewpoints and heat as long as it means soaking thunderstorms. But lately, even the T-storms have been scarce :(

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | September 23, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Snow, rain, cold, thunderstorms, fog, anything but more hot and humid weather please.

Posted by: maymay1 | September 23, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Add me to the count of those who are tired of the relentless heat. I wanna wear my sweaters!! If it would only get cool and stay cool...and I won't even moan if we get snow this winter (at least not too much).

Posted by: natsncats | September 24, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Where is all the rain??? Western Wisconsin is getting up to TEN INCHES in some areas. Wettest September since 1941. Flood warnings in some areas.

Looks as though we should be due for some fall rains next week with tropical flow and a frontal passage.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | September 24, 2010 12:40 AM | Report abuse