Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
The new Washington
Post Weather website
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 10/23/2010

Forecast: Another fantastic fall weekend

By Jason Samenow

* WeatherFest this weekend | Bastardi knocks NOAA | UnitedCast *
* Outside now? Radar, temps, clouds & more: Weather Wall *

Today's Daily Digit
 
A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

 

Fall weather at its finest. Crisp start, then up to a sunny 72.
 
Get the 'Digit' on Twitter

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly sunny. 68-73. | Tonight: Becoming mostly cloudy. 45-53. | Tomorrow: Partly sunny and mild. 70-75. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Mother nature has a keen sense of timing lately, as the overwhelming majority of the season's nasty days have conveniently occurred during the work week. Almost without exception, the weekend days have been beautiful. That's the case again this weekend, with Saturday the sunnier of the two days. Sure enough, the next chance of rain is late Monday into Tuesday.

Today (Saturday): The normally colder suburbs (e.g. Oakton, Manassas, Sterling, Gaithersburg, and Clarksburg) may have some patchy frost early on. But in little time, everyone warms up to above 60 late morning, with afternoon highs near 70. Sky conditions are mostly sunny, with a light wind from the south at 5-10 mph. Confidence: High

Tonight: Flow from the southwest gradually increases the high cloud cover, meaning a warmer night than the previous. Lows range from the mid-40s in the cooler suburbs to the low 50s downtown. Everyone is about 10 degrees warmer than Friday night. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast into early next week...

Tomorrow (Sunday): The potential is there for a nice day, but it's not a lock due to the possibility of at least partial cloud cover at times. Irrespective of the clouds, warm flow from the south means above average temps with highs 70-75. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: The southerly flow and some cloudiness make for a mild evening with overnight lows 50-55 (suburbs-city). Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Monday is quite the mild day as high pressure offshore continues to pump warm air into the region from the south. But the moist flow may bring considerable cloud cover in the afternoon and the outside (20%) chance of a shower. Highs are in the mid-70s. Showers are more likely (40-50% chance) Monday night, with lows in the 50s. Some shower chances (30%) linger into Tuesday, which is also mild, with highs in the low-to-mid 70s. Confidence: Medium

By Jason Samenow  | October 23, 2010; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: UnitedCast: A fine home finale
Next: Forecast: Superb Sunday with sun & clouds

Comments

Centreville VA Had the lightest & briefest of early morning frosts here. Digital thermometers read 36 & 35 as lows last night, but there are frost patches on neighborhood roofs.
The basil is very unhappy, but it ain't dead yet.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | October 23, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

CWG! Can you speculate on the weather for the morning of Sunday the 31st? I'm running the Marine Corps Marathon!

Posted by: momcnultyrn | October 23, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

CBOFS suggests we might have a decent southerly breeze on the Potomac River at DC tomorrow, peaking in mid-day. Would CWG agree with that?

Posted by: --sg | October 23, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Looks like CWG is off for the weekend, asleep at the wheel . The written forecast mentions no possibility of rain, yet the at a glance shows 60% chance. This is not the first time that our fearless forecasters forget about the weekend.

Posted by: jojo2008 | October 23, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Only light and patchy frost Sat. a.m. in Harpers Ferry. I was hoping for colder, to whack some of these stink bugs and hornets. And an end to the mowing season would be nice.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | October 24, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

@jojo2008

Not sure what rain you were talking about. Our weekend forecast never included the chance of rain because there wasn't any. We update the forecast each weekend day as needed and there was no need.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | October 24, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Still a bit skeptical about that rain forecast for tomorrow. There seems to be little or no synoptic support other than perhaps the nose of a jet streak at upper levels.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | October 24, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2012 The Washington Post Company